• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I honestly think she was trying to antagonize him into talking about why he resigned. Not necessarily things she personally believed

Oct 26, 2017
I like seeing the momentary anger from Picard. He stands taller and feels more resolute. More like Captain Picard of old.

In other instances he just feels like Patrick Stewart.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
'the artifact'

'the nameless'

'the twins'

Things deserve names, ok. Look how much more intimidating the Romulan Super Secret Police are since they're not called, like, 'the Forgotten Ones' or something like that.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I don't know what it is, but the two F bombs completely took me out. Especially Admiral Fucking. It feels like such a strong disconnect. The whole background conspiracy stuff also hasn't interested me yet.

Stewart remains excellent. I also appreciate the time taken to build up and that we aren't being fed cameos and fanservice every step.

So far I'm mostly missing that certain "Trek" feel. We'll see how the show is on its own terms. Remaining cautiously optimistic.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people are complaining about it being slow. It feels like Star Trek to me, with the world building and the exposition. I bet we'll get more action once they get to space, then I'm sure people will start complaining about why Picard is trying to be an action star.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I took it not as Irumonic Syndrome, but the borg implants taking their toll. I thought the Dr said something about "that thing in your parietal lobe", then Picard said he suspected it would give him problems some day.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if either the Romulans or the Vulcans are going to be revealed as being bio-androids and that is where the Zhat Vash's hatred for synthetic life comes from?

Was the Time of Awakening a synthetic uprising?

Jan 29, 2018
Loved it. The slower pace is taking some getting used to, but I prefer that to feeling too rushed.

Disappointed that I haven't seen any nerds angry that the Discovery Enterprise was the hologram in Starfleet HQ.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I took it not as Irumonic Syndrome, but the borg implants taking their toll. I thought the Dr said something about "that thing in your parietal lobe", then Picard said he suspected it would give him problems some day.
Parietal Lobe is where Irumodic syndrome shows up. He also comments that someone warned him long ago this could happen.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I hope Picard doesn't have irumodic syndrome.

I think they played around with the type of syndrome so that the writers could have a little extra freedom in how to deal with it, though they never really did get into the specific effects too much in All Good Things so it doesn't seem like it would be that terrible of a limitation.

golem

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting observations on when they captured the borg cube and the events of Voyager's final ep. I wonder how much borg tech has made it into various powers' hands at this point.

Nov 1, 2017
I really hope we don't find out the Romulans were the true accidental creators of the Borg and that's why they hate anything artificial human being wise in full or part.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how's this show so far? What's the consensus? I'm like half way through TNG and I'm not sure if I should just wait to watch this later on. It does look totally different from TNG based off trailers are even though that's probably a good thing, but I feel like I'm gonna miss the enterprise and style of the TNG

golem

Oct 25, 2017
So how's this show so far? What's the consensus? I'm like half way through TNG and I'm not sure if I should just wait to watch this later on. It does look totally different from TNG based off trailers are even though that's probably a good thing, but I feel like I'm gonna miss the enterprise and style of the TNG
Unless you want to be part of the discussion as its show I would finish TNG. Might be a bit disconcerting going from TNG Picard to the current one esp if you skip the movies and the end of TNG.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I wonder if either the Romulans or the Vulcans are going to be revealed as being bio-androids and that is where the Zhat Vash's hatred for synthetic life comes from?

Was the Time of Awakening a synthetic uprising?
Yeah, there's some kind of thread there. They made a point of saying that the Romulans:

1. Are super secretive. This point is hammered repeatedly throughout the episode (and anyone who knows the lore is aware that they never revealed themselves during the Earth-Romulus War, as well as used novel cloaking and drone technology during Enterprise's era)
  2. Only use computers for numerical calculations. No AI or virtual AI development. Nobody's asking Siri to make an appointment.
  3. Have infiltrated and corrupted Starfleet Intelligence at the highest levels, and are employing death squads on Earth with impunity

So they have a problem with AI and androids, to the point that something like Dahj is seen as a existential threat. But why? The Romulans made no move against Data during his long Starfleet career to destroy him. Data was even captured on Romulus itself, yet no harm was done to him. So there has to be something uniquely different about Dahj and Soji that frightens the Romulans so much that they're willing to go to great lengths to neutralize the threat.

There's also the matter of the synth rebellion on Mars. Were the Romulans behind that? Why would they sabotage a massive evacuation armada to their own detriment?

golem

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the matter of the synth rebellion on Mars. Were the Romulans behind that? Why would they sabotage a massive evacuation armada to their own detriment?
A solid theory im hearing is the Tal Shiar did it because they never believed the Federation was coming to help them in good faith in the first place (according to the Countdown comics) and viewed it as a backdoor invasion. The Zhat Vhaj additionally see it as a way to sow distrust about synths in the Federation.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
A solid theory im hearing is the Tal Shiar did it because they never believed the Federation was coming to help them in good faith in the first place (according to the Countdown comics) and viewed it as a backdoor invasion. The Zhat Vhaj additionally see it as a way to sow distrust about synths in the Federation.
Oh yeah, that does make a lot of sense. I haven't read the comic, so I wasn't aware of that part of it.

Especially if they also think the supernova itself was artificially induced.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you want to be part of the discussion as its show I would finish TNG. Might be a bit disconcerting going from TNG Picard to the current one esp if you skip the movies and the end of TNG.

I wish I never watched the TNG movies (say for First Contact), my brother tried to warn me and I didn't listen.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
First episode reactions were pretty positive, second is more mixed, show is still in its "Pilot phase" as they said the first 3 episodes are basically the pilot. It'd be better to ask again in a few weeks.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit surprised that people are down on the tongue-lashing the Admiral gave Picard, my friend and I loved that part. "The sheer fucking hubris" is right, honestly, and I'm 100% sympathetic to Picard. I don't see why he should have expected any different, and there's a part of me that wonders if Picard knew it might happen but had to try the long shot anyways. If he really did think Starfleet would welcome him back enough to give him a ship and crew, he's dumber than he looks.

Other parts of the episode I'm not so keen on. I like the idea of Starfleet and the Federation reverting to realpolitik regarding the Romulan evacuation, and we got a little more of that detail this episode. I don't really like the idea of high-level officers in Starfleet being outright double agents involved in a conspiracy; that feels too much like an obvious heel turn. The idea that the Commodore isn't totally privy to everything that's going on is interesting but I don't know where any of it goes yet.

Soji is way too soft to be on that Borg ship, and I'm shocked there isn't so much of a roll of the eyes from anyone when she's reciting last rites or whatever for that random Borg drone. It does make a bit more sense why she's there to begin with, though; if it's basically an archeological dig of sorts with all sorts of researchers involved, it would kind of line up with Dahj going to Daystrom, as opposed to Soji somehow being real tight with the Romulan Empire.

The taxi looking like one of the old Enterprise-D shuttlecraft was hilarious.

Overall, I liked this episode less. We'll see what episode 3 brings.

she said "cheeky feckers" according to the actress, contrary to what the subtitles had.

What I heard too, I just couldn't decide if "feckers" was a word.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My favourite thing about this episode was that when they were searching through the computer records in the apartment -- they ACTUALLY searched through the records! It wasn't just 'boop beep bop here's what we need!' -- it was great to see a show actually take the time to do investigative work 'for real'.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Oh! Also: "the Romulans don't believe in AI, their computers basically just crunch numbers" followed almost immediately by "here let me use my Romulan predictive tech to reconstruct this crime scene for you," fucking lol

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
So they have a problem with AI and androids, to the point that something like Dahj is seen as a existential threat. But why? The Romulans made no move against Data during his long Starfleet career to destroy him. Data was even captured on Romulus itself, yet no harm was done to him. So there has to be something uniquely different about Dahj and Soji that frightens the Romulans so much that they're willing to go to great lengths to neutralize the threat.

The difference between Dahj, Soji, and Data is that while Data was a synthetic lifeform it couldn't replicate itself, at least not to their knowledge. It was a one off threat that they might not have had access to in a way that was convenient, even when it was on Romulus. The twins, as flesh and blood, may just be able to procreate, either with others like themselves or perhaps with other humans/alien species. The idea that a synthetic being was capable of replication would represent an existential threat they simply could not abide. They've also increased their access to Earth, thus they were able to deploy death squads on the planet and cover up the evidence.

Edit: If replication is a concern that this group has then I bet they are going to take a very, very dim view of one of their agents banging the bot. I imagine that'll be a plot point.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Oh! Also: "the Romulans don't believe in AI, their computers basically just crunch numbers" followed almost immediately by "here let me use my Romulan predictive tech to reconstruct this crime scene for you," fucking lol
It was space magic mumbo jumbo regarding showing where molecules were at a previous time, it fits with her description of Romulan tech.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit surprised that people are down on the tongue-lashing the Admiral gave Picard, my friend and I loved that part. "The sheer fucking hubris" is right, honestly, and I'm 100% sympathetic to Picard. I don't see why he should have expected any different, and there's a part of me that wonders if Picard knew it might happen but had to try the long shot anyways. If he really did think Starfleet would welcome him back enough to give him a ship and crew, he's dumber than he looks.
I really liked that part too. Picard definitely seems to have been smelling his own shit a bit too much and is probably living in a bubble at this point. Will be interesting to find out what that new character at the end's beef with Picard is. I remember feeling personally offended when it was shown that Sisko didn't think much of Picard lol.

Oct 28, 2017
I like seeing the momentary anger from Picard. He stands taller and feels more resolute. More like Captain Picard of old.

In other instances he just feels like Patrick Stewart.

This is my biggest peeve of the show, and one that many are seemingly unwilling to mention.

Patrick Stewart is being Patrick Stewart in a lot of his scenes. There is literally nothing Picard about him.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I did like the episode, the "Earl Grey" stuff is starting to get annoying.

This is my biggest peeve of the show, and one that many are seemingly unwilling to mention.

Patrick Stewart is being Patrick Stewart in a lot of his scenes. There is literally nothing Picard about him.
He is Picard, but he's not the same Picard we left off. 20 years have happened, he's a broken old man now.

Oct 25, 2017
Budget. It may be annoying, but it's unfair to expect huge amounts of cgi. I mean older trek shows weren't exactly better at this when we saw earth (probably worse in many ways).

That's fine for me. You can say that they have strong historical preservation laws in place.

Other parts of the episode I'm not so keen on. I like the idea of Starfleet and the Federation reverting to realpolitik regarding the Romulan evacuation, and we got a little more of that detail this episode. I don't really like the idea of high-level officers in Starfleet being outright double agents involved in a conspiracy; that feels too much like an obvious heel turn. The idea that the Commodore isn't totally privy to everything that's going on is interesting but I don't know where any of it goes yet.

Soji is way too soft to be on that Borg ship, and I'm shocked there isn't so much of a roll of the eyes from anyone when she's reciting last rites or whatever for that random Borg drone. It does make a bit more sense why she's there to begin with, though; if it's basically an archeological dig of sorts with all sorts of researchers involved, it would kind of line up with Dahj going to Daystrom, as opposed to Soji somehow being real tight with the Romulan Empire.

The taxi looking like one of the old Enterprise-D shuttlecraft was hilarious.

Overall, I liked this episode less. We'll see what episode 3 brings.

What I heard too, I just couldn't decide if "feckers" was a word.

The idea of corrupted Starfleet agents doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the universe of Star Trek, since most of the reasons for that are simply removed from the equation. What made stuff like Section 31 or Admiral Leyton compelling was they were fighting for the Federation, they just had methods and goals that were contrary to its spirit. If they're just Romulan agents because, uh, they're Romulan agents, that's the least interesting tack possible to take.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't seem broken though. His mannerisms are exactly like Patrick in interviews. He is even quirky in interactions (the investigation of that room).
One of the main points of the first episode is how he's basically just waiting to die now until this situation fell in his lap and gave him purpose.
So like Picard in TNG when he let his Captain face down.
Exactly, Picard was not hyper serious at all times.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Wait, Hugh was in that episode? When?

I just watched I Bord and Descent yesterday and I didn't notice him if he was there.

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine for me. You can say that they have strong historical preservation laws in place.

The idea of corrupted Starfleet agents doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the universe of Star Trek, since most of the reasons for that are simply removed from the equation. What made stuff like Section 31 or Admiral Leyton compelling was they were fighting for the Federation, they just had methods and goals that were contrary to its spirit. If they're just Romulan agents because, uh, they're Romulan agents, that's the least interesting tack possible to take.

The commodore isn't Romulan, and the notion this secret Romulan society goes back as far as it does suggest something that dates back to when them Romulans and Vulcans were one, I'm possibly thinking.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, speaking of which, I'm not sure how I feel about the writers coming up with an even more super secret society that's more secret than the Tal Shiar. It all just feels a little convenient, especially the part that we haven't heard anything about them until Picard's retainer brings it up, despite other civilizations having advanced artificial intelligences and synthetic beings for a very long time.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, speaking of which, I'm not sure how I feel about the writers coming up with an even more super secret society that's more secret than the Tal Shiar. It all just feels a little convenient, especially the part that we haven't heard anything about them until Picard's retainer brings it up, despite other civilizations having advanced artificial intelligences and synthetic beings for a very long time.
Except they haven't. Artificial intelligences are very rare in Star Trek, Data (and Lore) being the first and only known ones in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants at that point.

Control was kept secret and wasn't intentionally sentient. Voyager ran into some but they were in the Delta Quadrant. Pretty much everything Kirk or Picard ran into that could be called AI was accidental. Certainly none were organic.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
The commodore isn't Romulan, and the notion this secret Romulan society goes back as far as it does suggest something that dates back to when them Romulans and Vulcans were one, I'm possibly thinking.
Do we know that for sure? like the other female agent, she could have had surgical alterations done to make her appear to be Vulcan.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Except they haven't. Artificial intelligences are very rare in Star Trek, Data (and Lore) being the first and only known ones in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants at that point.

Control was kept secret and wasn't intentionally sentient. Voyager ran into some but they were in the Delta Quadrant. Pretty much everything Kirk or Picard ran into that could be called AI was accidental. Certainly none were organic.

But we're to believe that this secret organization has existed for thousands of years? Did they just not consider Data and Lore threats? Or Noonian Soong? What about the Borg, do they not count because they're cyborgs, despite very clearly being a menace to the entire galaxy?

Also, if they HAVEN'T been chasing down synthetics this whole time, what the hell has this organization been doing with itself? What secret organization lasts centuries doing nothing but playing shuffleboard in someone's basement?

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
While it didn't have quite the same impact as the opening episode, I quite liked this one as well. I like that we're slowly peeling back layers to the story and the world as it exists now in the ST universe. I'm one of the weirdos that can watch an episode with nothing but world building and no plot movement and still be totally satisfied so I don't mind a slower pace (It's why I never had any trouble with the first season of The Expanse.)

Love that they referenced the neurological syndrome from the finale, and I like that we're getting to know more about Picard's Romulan vineyard caretakers, and got to see more of what's going on in that Borg cube. I can't wait to meet his ragtag group of misfits he's going to round up to crew the ship.

What I don't like is the weekly release schedule.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But we're to believe that this secret organization has existed for thousands of years? Did they just not consider Data and Lore threats? Or Noonian Soong? What about the Borg, do they not count because they're cyborgs, despite very clearly being a menace to the entire galaxy?

Also, if they HAVEN'T been chasing down synthetics this whole time, what the hell has this organization been doing with itself? What secret organization lasts centuries doing nothing but playing shuffleboard in someone's basement?

That's a secret

romulan_emoji.jpg