• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's put it in a modern day setting. If you lived around the corner from a grocery store and bought 400 dollars worth of groceries would you attempt to walk a block holding 40 bags or are you going to use your car?

So if someone wants to move lots of stuff why do you think they'd try to drag it all to a transporter by hand?
And some people just like cars.
I would assume most retail outlets would have their own transporters that they can use to beam their products to customers' homes. Why would you need to manually transport stuff in a vehicle? I guess it depends on how many people have transporter doors/plates in their houses.
Or they could be people who don't like to use transporters (such people do exist).
So all those flying cars are just being piloted by scaredycats like Barclay? ;)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

HEY! Are you calling THIS man a scaredy cat?

Data-and-Leonard-Mc-Coy.jpg

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the ending shot

It really makes you appreciate the sheer scale of the Borg cubes. 28 cubic kilometers is friggin' huge
I loved that shot. Those cubes should be massive. There should be a reason why even just one is enough to take on an entire fleet.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot to say, I was skeptical of the new CGI look for Data, but it looks pretty OK in motion. It's a really tall order to de-age someone by 25 years--realistically--so props to them for making it work. Knowing the directon the show went, I see why they are so dead set on it.

I've missed you, Data!
Does it even exist anymore, didn't all the Founders fuck off to their cuddle puddle?
Well the Founders are probably still on the Changeling homeworld. The Dominion basically ran itself IIRC.

But it'd be interesting to know if they ever managed to get along after the war, vs. some permanent state of cold war. Or worse, knowing how dead-set S31 was to eliminate them.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the implication of the final shot is that the Romulans are trying to retrofit and reclaim a Borg Cube for their own purposes? Are we to assume that they have ill-intentions or is it meant to be ambiguous?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
My biggest problem with Data is the eyes. They're way too bright. They were never that yellow on the show.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they're doing an after show with this.

Also, that main Star Trek theme music in the sneak peek for ep 2, so good, chills.

Even better than I expected. Definitely has a different feel from Discovery, which I also really like. If there's going to be a bunch of Trek shows it's important to differentiate them.

I was not expecting them to reference
and potentially include, Bruce Maddox.
Yeah, I didn't expect that at all even as the details started coming.
It was amazing when they said his name.

Plus, I will admit that of the possibilities I'd imagined for who the mystery girl would be, Data's daughter--or some vague notion thereof was not among them, and it was so much more interesting than my original guess. I sort of assume Dahj is not dead and I do think it would be a bit weird to expect the audience to transfer their emotional allegiances this early in the series, given that they spent all this time in the first episode building it up.
Yeah, it didn't even cross my mind we'd get a Data connection to the mystery girl from the trailers. The gradual reveal of it over several scenes was quite nice.

Yeah, I'm curious about that too since I'm still really surprised that the first one of these two seemingly died there, even after the explosion kind of double killing her I was still thinking, wait, did we really lose her here? heh.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I would assume most retail outlets would have their own transporters that they can use to beam their products to customers' homes. Why would you need to manually transport stuff in a vehicle? I guess it depends on how many people have transporter doors/plates in their houses.

I was using a grocery store just as a example of moving lots of items. Also as brought up before at least as of DS9 people don't get unlimited use of transporters.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, although I agree with some of the fast pacing issues maybe in the second third. None of the characters really "stuck" with me so far, and I'm wondering if maybe there is too much "remember X? remember Y? remember Z? ISN'IT IT ALL GREAT", all of which I loved but I wonder how much of that is nostalgia mining and how much is the show really exploring new territory.

Nonetheless, seeing the world a few decades later is fascinating and I am in.

My biggest fear going in was that Picard was going to be relegated to a side character telling stories or something while other characters "have a show". He is clearly the focus and front and center, and I'm glad of that. I did not at all expect the things that happened to happen, so I'm always happy for surprises in sci fi.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed this. Still a bit leary since all of the teaser stuff is a lot of action but at least for now I thought this was great.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I just got done watching it. That was wonderful, it was even better than I thought it'd be. It definitely left me wanting more.

Patrick Stewart really knocked it out of the park. I was pumping my fist when he stood his ground and told off that scummy, callous reporter. Stewart is going a great job channeling Picard's disgust with what the world has become while still being determined to do the right thing and help people. Stewart's interactions with Dahj were great, Stewart did a very nice job conveying his concern for her.

The cinematography was beautiful, it really did feel like movie quality. The action scenes were well done and didn't seem cheesy or exploitative given Dahj's nature as a synthetic and what she can do. I'm glad
she has a twin to complete her story arc because the potential for that character was too great to kill her off so soon. :(

Flashbacks with Data were so good, I hope there really is
a chance he can be brought back which was heavily hinted at.

That callback to Measure of a Man.
Will we see Bruce Maddox collaborating with the villains?

I can't wait to see where the next episodes go (I skipped the season preview, since sometime earlier said it's spoilery). Anyways, that was a lovely premier, it really did feel like being reunited with an old friend.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So the implication of the final shot is that the Romulans are trying to retrofit and reclaim a Borg Cube for their own purposes? Are we to assume that they have ill-intentions or is it meant to be ambiguous?

It was said in secondary media that Nero's ship in 09 had been enhanced by borg tech. I assume this is riffing off that.
I do think that the Romulans are at least experimenting with borg tech and probably have been for some time now.

Ill intentions? That's hard to say. They definitely were putting out some dark vibes there at the end but how that will manifest I'm not sure.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
On rewatch..

Synths are banned by Galactic treaty
The first covert ops team wanted to know where the rest of them are (so prob not just the sister)
Maddox wanted to clone Datas neural net and thought he could do it from just one positronic neuron
Sounds like the facility at the end is for the rehabilitation of former borg, fixing broken people

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SPOILER tagging because it not hard to not be an ass.

I enjoyed it overall. Never been a fan of Gun-Fu in any movie/show, but aside from that not really got much negative to say so far.

Was not expecting Dahj to die. Kinda shitty to undo the one bit of hope in STN ending with B4 and basically say it didn't take and he lost most of Data's transference, they trying make good with the daughters instead but one just got exploded...

I guess the intro video and music is kinda 'meh'.

So the attack on Mars, could that be caused by a section of Romulan government that wanted to avoid its citizens joining the federation? That's my episode 1 theory.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Well the Founders are probably still on the Changeling homeworld. The Dominion basically ran itself IIRC.

But it'd be interesting to know if they ever managed to get along after the war, vs. some permanent state of cold war. Or worse, knowing how dead-set S31 was to eliminate them.
I never read the Trek novels but I wonder why there was never an influx of Gamma Quadrant refugees through the wormhole post-war, like the Skreeans. News would have travelled that the Dominion got beaten by Alpha Quadrant powers and there would have been people taking that as an opportunity to get out from under their thumb.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
SPOILER tagging because it not hard to not be an ass.

So the attack on Mars, could that be caused by a section of Romulan government that wanted to avoid its citizens joining the federation? That's my episode 1 theory.

I think it's more likely that Section 31 or some offshoot of them is behind it. They would absolutely murder 90,000 of their own people if it meant the destruction of an enemy.

On a side note, this show feels very much like a spiritual successor to "The Drumhead", especially the final minutes with Picard and Worf.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was a solid setup. Like all Trek you can't really read too much into a first episode as they're just setting the table.

The foundation seems good though, I think they can build a successful show from this.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I was a bit salty that...

Dahj got got just like that, I was invested and wasn't expecting that but I figured the twin angle was coming from the mention that Data made that painting twice and had a "twin" itself. Did Picard's get destroyed too?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is Countdown no longer canon?
According to Eaglemoss (who are licensed for model making Trek) only what is on screen is canon, and for the main collection they only are allowed canon ships. Is why a lot of other ships they do like concepts, novels, games etc are seperate buys.

That said, what is accepted as Canon (really mean 'in continuity' as anything officially licensed is canon) has changed over the years. FASA used to be up til around TNG launched, Tech manuals once were, Fact Files once were etc.

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
That was okay. Terribly cliche, though. That said, I'm fine with yet another "are robots people?" story if the focus is Picard's love for Data. He's a good figure to shepherd that sort of story. That conversation on the bench outside of the archives was the best part for me.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Trek series comes out guns blazing in the 1st episode. It takes at least a few episodes to find its footing and probably into season 2 before things really start cooking, though in modern TV terms they may have to get that going a bit faster.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they do, they need to age him. He can choose to do that in some capacity, as shown in "All Good Things.."

I think they may employ a little bit of CGI de-aging if they ever go that route too. To be honest aside from the eyes looking a bit off, Data looked fine anyway, but with a little CG work they could probably make that a bit tighter.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
That was fucking solid. I know it's one episode but the script, acting and effects are all great. Shit, I'm excited.

I think this is whatI expected from Discovery - not in terms of cast obviously but everything else - and to me it fell short, so I was nervous about Picard. I like Discovery but this feels much more, I don't know, mature? Just higher quality.

Guess I'm gonna have to sign up for another fucking streaming service.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the first episode means I will be watching more. The show has promise and I wish I could binge them and not have to deal with the weekly bullshit.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched Children of Mars because of this, well hey that was neat, I'm gonna have to watch more of these Short Treks.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
For anyone wondering, the Romulan agent bites down on a tooth capsule full of acid. You can see it if you freeze frame it.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For anyone wondering, the Romulan agent bites down on a tooth capsule full of acid. You can see it if you freeze frame it.

Yeah I'm confused why everyone thinks he "threw up acid". I watched this episode with 6 people and not one of us came away with that assumption. It is pretty clear he bites down on something if you are paying even moderate attention....

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was pretty promising. Some of it was a bit too cliché, but I think they have a lot of room to do something interesting. I really like the smaller role that Starfleet seems to be playing in this.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a standard that's not met in the franchise... but the Romulans should be able to just beam Dahj up onto a ship/brig.

Like, I can imagine there being an anti-transport field to prevent this exact problem, but the Romulans were able to beam down. Presumably they're able to beam up as well. If they need some pattern enhancers, they could theoretically beam down some pattern enhancers right onto the target and kidnap them.

Anyway, I liked it fine. 8/10

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Show is quite good. My only nag is this show continuing the trend of distracting, bombastic background music at inappropriate times but that's just me being a sourpuss.

You can tell Patrick Stewart really loves playing this character and he continues to be as effective at is as he's always been (movies aside...)

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's also a little strange that there are so many flying cars buzzing around the cities if worldwide mass-transit is possible. What is the purpose of of all these small flying vehicles if you can use a teleporter to go anywhere on the planet?
Questions like this are the road to unhappiness. Just go with it.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I still want to see how they can shoehorn Patrick's request to have a long car chase where he gets to drive a 'vintage' 2019 Jaguar F-Type SVR into the show.

I'm certain they'll make it work.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Interestingly, this show almost appears to be a spiritual sequel to The Drumhead. Picard told Worf (at the very end of the episode) that constant vigilance against tyranny was the price everyone paid to maintain their world.

ST: Picard is showing us what happens when that fails.
This is an intriguing concept and I am pumped to watch the first episode today (still around 12 hours to go for me), it is just that I have Discovery on my recent memory and on the rare instance where Discovery tried to be a bit philosophical (rather than an action show), they did it so clumsily that in my eyes it failed to make it an interesting conversation, but rather a simple statement. One that I agreed with when they came up, but not one that makes one care to ponder the issue. Which is why I am afraid and unsure whether the writing staff can handle the concept of Picard well. But of course I will watch Picard* with an open mind and hope my worries are for naught.

* also Discovery Season 3, because as the writers necessarily have to deal with TNG and maybe DS9, rather than only TOS, I do think there is hope they see the value in slower paced, more debate-oriented and philosophical Star Trek. Also, interestingly, there are quite a few blind spots in TNG that could be explored more, e.g. it tends to handwave the moral implications of creating holodeck images of real humans (real women) for personal pleasure a bit too much (first Barcley episode dealed with it, but had to jump topics quickly, because it was more about how to treat people who appear odd; La Forge's recreation of the scientist who made the warp drive basically recreated the issue but almost completely handwaved it).

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
This is an intriguing concept and I am pumped to watch the first episode today (still around 12 hours to go for me), it is just that I have Discovery on my recent memory and on the rare instance where Discovery tried to be a bit philosophical (rather than an action show), they did it so clumsily that in my eyes it failed to make it an interesting conversation, but rather a simple statement. One that I agreed with when they came up, but not one that makes one care to ponder the issue. Which is why I am afraid and unsure whether the writing staff can handle the concept of Picard well. But of course I will watch Picard* with an open mind and hope my worries are for naught.

* also Discovery Season 3, because as the writers necessarily have to deal with TNG and maybe DS9, rather than only TOS, I do think there is hope they see the value in slower paced, more debate-oriented and philosophical Star Trek. Also, interestingly, there are quite a few blind spots in TNG that could be explored more, e.g. it tends to handwave the moral implications of creating holodeck images of real humans (real women) for personal pleasure a bit too much (first Barcley episode dealed with it, but had to jump topics quickly, because it was more about how to treat people who appear odd; La Forge's recreation of the scientist who made the warp drive basically recreated the issue but almost completely handwaved it).
I hope Discovery Season 3 is purely political because of the premise, but I don't expect it to be because of the nature of what audience they're going for with these shows. I kind of accepted that fate now to be honest.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I love that they showed Worf in this episode. Just get it out of the way really quickly that yes, Klingons still look like they should don't worry.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I saw the trailer for this yesterday and it looks pretty good. I've seen some Star Trek back when I was a kid, but I would'nt consider myself a 'fan' at all (I did enjoy the reboot movies). Is this something a newcomer might enjoy, without knowledge of the older series?

Same question applies for Discovery actually.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
What a great first episode. Really, really enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I might. Loved TNG so much that I was pretty apprehensive with this. But luckily my first impression is that this could be quite good.

I haven't followed much about this up until now though, have they said what they think this would be in totality? Like a one season show, could be more, etc? I know viewership plays a big part but I guess I'm just hoping to know if this is something they see only being around for maybe a season or two or something that could potentially be around for a while if all goes well. Just a guess at this stage I imagine but figured I'd ask.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the trailer for this yesterday and it looks pretty good. I've seen some Star Trek back when I was a kid, but I would'nt consider myself a 'fan' at all (I did enjoy the reboot movies). Is this something a newcomer might enjoy, without knowledge of the older series?

Same question applies for Discovery actually.
I think Discovery is meant to be the new entry point to Trek though it is quite far removed from Picard in the timeline. Picard might be a bit more reliant on past developments and relationships since it is more or less a sequel to The Next Generation. There are plenty of guides to acquaint yourself with the best of TNG out there though, so if you have it available on streaming services and a few hours to kill it shouldn't be that hard to get an overview what to know beforehand.

Something like this:

I haven't followed much about this up until now though, have they said what they think this would be in totality? Like a one season show, could be more, etc? I know viewership plays a big part but I guess I'm just hoping to know if this is something they see only being around for maybe a season or two or something that could potentially be around for a while if all goes well. Just a guess at this stage I imagine but figured I'd ask.
Not sure how long they plan on going but Season 2 has already been greenlit