• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Memory Alpha says the preliminary diagnosis was not for the syndrome itself, but a precursor defect that could lead to various neurological conditions. Given that Picard was so blase about revealing details of the future he saw to the crew, it wouldn't exactly shock me to discover he decided to do something with the advance knowledge of his own affliction as well.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Memory Alpha says the preliminary diagnosis was not for the syndrome itself, but a precursor defect that could lead to various neurological conditions. Given that Picard was so blase about revealing details of the future he saw to the crew, it wouldn't exactly shock me to discover he decided to do something with the advance knowledge of his own affliction as well.
Hrm, if we just assume that's what happened, in a way Q gave Picard the knowledge to save his own life which I suppose is fitting.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Dumb question maybe, but Trekkies help me out with this: if the ST09 Reboot fate of Romulus is canon, how did the events of Nemesis ever happen? Shinzon wouldn't likely have existed, would he?

Edit: Also, is this Kelvin timeline then? Or is it after the supernova of Romulus but still in the Prime timeline?

On reflection, I guess my confusion is, is the Romulan supernova after Nemesis?

Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question maybe, but Trekkies help me out with this: if the ST09 Reboot fate of Romulus is canon, how did the events of Nemesis ever happen? Shinzon wouldn't likely have existed, would he?
Nemesis happens first. Then the events in Star Trek 2009 that involve Spock and Nero before they go through the wormhole and go back in time happens years after Nemesis takes place. That event creates alternate timeline or they simply went into an alternate timeline that could have been identical to the original up until the point they landed and that's where the rest of Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness, and Beyond take place. The original timeline keeps on going to the point where we now have Star Trek Picard and further down the line season 3 of Discovery.

Basically this.

Star Trek Nemesis ---> Star Trek 2009 (Spock trying to save Romulus, failing, and getting sucked backed in time along with Nero. Reported missing/dead.) ------> Star Trek Picard.

PIcard's mission and the attack on Mars are taking place likely in parallel to Spock trying to help, going missing and Romulus being destroyed.

Star Trek 2009 (after Spock and Nero show up in the past) ------> leads to Star Trek Into Darkness -------> Star Trek Beyond

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Nero and Spock were sucked into the red matter blackhole they caused a divergent timeline to be created that split off from the Prime timeline. We've seen alternative timelines before in the franchise, the recent films take place in one.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are the characters hopping around the globe so much and so quickly? The android girl seems pretty much warps from Paris to Picard in San Francisco. Picard gets knocked out in SanFran and then somehow wakes up in Paris?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Also, is this Kelvin timeline then? Or is it after the supernova of Romulus but still in the Prime timeline?

On reflection, I guess my confusion is, is the Romulan supernova after Nemesis?
This is Prime timeline, not Kelvin. The supernova happened years after Nemesis.

How are the characters hopping around the globe so much and so quickly? The android girl seems pretty much warps from Paris to Picard in San Francisco. Picard gets knocked out in SanFran and then somehow wakes up in Paris?
Earth has been using planet wide transporters for instant travel for many, many years at this point.
We even see this at one point in the episode.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have transporters. You can literally step through a doorway and be anywhere else on the planet or the Moon in half a second.

archway-transporterkyknm.png

I think the doorway transporters are new.

Last edited:

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Really liked what I saw, and its just getting started! And of course, Patrick Stewart was fantastic in this. Especially in the interview scene. I actually said "Holy Shit!" out loud when they name dropped
Bruce Maddox

Can't wait for next week!

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Feels like it's moving a little too swiftly for its own good. A couple moments that should've landed didn't connect with me. Before the show has really reckoned with the revelation of Data's daughter, she's dead. And before we can process that, she has a sister.

Hopefully the show straightens out now that some of those pieces are in place. Stewart is brilliant and I think he'll carry the show on his back no matter what.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have transporters. You can literally step through a doorway and be anywhere else on the planet or the Moon in half a second.

archway-transporterkyknm.png

I think the doorway transporters are new.

I had the same complaint, but I guess that makes sense, lol. I thought Picard had a dream because he was in San Fran and then woke up in France.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the concept of people traveling the Earth instantly with transporters being a normal thing was established in DS9.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Pretty sure the concept of people traveling the Earth instantly with transporters being a normal thing was established in DS9.

Yup. Sisco mentioned that he'd go to school in San Francisco and transport to New Orleans for dinner every night for the first month he was in Starfleet Academy.

Edit: Also Nog did the same thing when he was at the academy, because Papa Sisco could get tubgrubs.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I loved it. It did surprise me that they're still using the same uniforms 20 years later, given how often Starfleet liked to change it up.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't get his way with Data but I guess he got his way with B4! Primitive enough to not get the same protections as Data I suppose.
Yeah, it's kind of weird that Picard would let them break B4 down even if it failed.

Of course the real answer is that unless you use CG Spiner like in Star Wars, Data just can't work now...

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Avoiding spoilers until I see this, so haven't seen the discussion yet, but reading a lot of the reviews has me really excited to watch this. I was on a big Star Trek binge 2015-2017 when I went through all of TNG and DS9 for the first time. I actually enjoyed what I watched of Discovery for the most part, but I never got around to subscribing for CBS All Access, so admittedly have fallen off Trek a bit the past few years. But I think between this and catching up with Discovery I'll probably end up subbing for All Access to watch them.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was weird for me but because I expected him in a hospital, or for the police to want to talk to him, not because of the distance.

That too. But apparently there were no cameras on the roof, the woman was cloaked, and the Romulan assassins teleported in, so all they saw was Picard labouring to run up the stairs and found him collapsed on the roof, so maybe they chalked it up to exhaustion and just transported him home?

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh then maybe it was a glitch on my end. It was so weird. God I hate dealing with commercials lol. I might just upgrade my account because I really loved this first ep and the seasonal preview looked awesome

I find CBS All Access to be glitchy for me in general. Sound being choppy, signal quality of stream freezing at times. Doesn't happen all the time or even half the time, but that it happens on CBSAA compared to not at all on any of my streaming services is irritating.

Nov 1, 2017
I enjoyed it, although I was left wondering if Lore got forgotten again. He never comes up in anything. B4 was shown and proven to be unable to restore Data who I'm sure will come back eventually based on what they said.

Borg ship, I'd prefer if the Romulans with or without helped defeated it and it's not some cube they got randomly because of Voyager hijinks, mostly because Voyager blew. Still Seven is going to be here so it probably will be due to Voyager. Knowing that the Borg still send ships out to that particular area of space makes sense.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I teared up a bit at the opening credits because that's when it finally hit home that we were FINALLY getting continuation of the main timeline in the 24th century. I knew what this was for the longest time, but the realization just hit me like a truck at that very moment. After so long, Star Trek's back baby!

I like Discovery and all, but it ain't shit compared what this means to me. The Kelvinverse movies? They can go rot for all I care. PLEASE let this series signify the return of PROPER Trek series set in the 24th century and beyond instead of constantly f'ing going backwards.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth has been using planet wide transporters for instant travel for many, many years at this point.
We even see this at one point in the episode.
It's Star Trek. They have transporter technology.
I thought transporters only worked over fairly short distances (like less than 100 miles), but I'm obviously no Trek expert here.

Still seems weird that Picard got knocked out in San Francisco, and they chose to drag his still-unconscious body through a transporter back to France. That was a positively bizarre choice, since it it probably leads the average viewer to believe that the explosion and chase in San Francisco was some kind of weird dream.

It's also a little strange that there are so many flying cars buzzing around the cities if worldwide mass-transit is possible. What is the purpose of of all these small flying vehicles if you can use a teleporter to go anywhere on the planet?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I thought transporters only worked over fairly short distances (like less than 100 miles), but I'm obviously no Trek expert here.

Still seems weird that Picard got knocked out in San Francisco, and they chose to drag his still-unconscious body through a transporter back to France. That was a positively bizarre choice, since it it probably leads the average viewer to believe that the explosion and chase in San Francisco was some kind of weird dream.

It's also a little strange that there are so many flying cars buzzing around the cities if worldwide mass-transit is possible. What is the purpose of of all these small flying vehicles if you can use a teleporter to go anywhere on the planet?
Transporter range is massively larger than that, like 10s of thousands of kilometers.

A doctor probably scanned Picard and decided he was fine so he was sent home. I really didn't get the feeling that it was a dream.

Cars are a luxury item and they would also be useful for moving more things than you can carry.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Low Earth orbit is 1200 miles. You'd expect transporters to work at least that far, unless you want your starships getting real cozy with the planets they orbit.

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still a bit confused by the Romulan spitting acid on her.
It was so nice to see a modern Star Trek without massive lens flares and the camera swinging around a group of people talking to keep the anxiety level artificially at level 10 every second of the episode.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Low Earth orbit is 1200 miles. You'd expect transporters to work at least that far, unless you want your starships getting real cozy with the planets they orbit.
Transporter technology has also advanced since the TNG era. Things like the doorway-transporters or the the transporter(?) catching the dude falling were not possible back then.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Loved the ending shot

It really makes you appreciate the sheer scale of the Borg cubes. 28 cubic kilometers is friggin' huge

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A doctor probably scanned Picard and decided he was fine so he was sent home. I really didn't get the feeling that it was a dream.

Cars are a luxury item and they would also be useful for moving more things than you can carry.
Before Picard wakes up the viewer sees a flashback montage of previous scenes, many of which are previous dream sequences. Between that and some of the episode's previous "It was all a dream!" fakeouts, to the viewer it very strongly implies that he is waking up from a dream that included the rooftop chase in SanFran. It's not a plothole so much as it is poor film-making. Not to mention that the rooftop chase ends with this bizarre moment where an assassin barfs acid onto the android woman and she starts melting and then everything blows up -- it's certainly crazy and strange enough to have been a dream.

Why would you need a car to move more things than you can't carry? Can large or heavy objects not go through a transporter?

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google says Paris to San Francisco is roughly 9000 kilometers (or ~5500 miles). I thought that using them from orbit was pretty much their max distance.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Before Picard wakes up the viewer sees a flashback montage of previous scenes, many of which are previous dream sequences. Between that and some of the episode's previous "It was all a dream!" fakeouts, to the viewer it very strongly implies that he is waking up from a dream that included the rooftop chase in SanFran. It's not a plothole so much as it is poor film-making. Not to mention that the rooftop chase ends with this bizarre moment where an assassin barfs acid onto the android woman and she starts melting and then everything blows up -- it's certainly crazy and strange enough to have been a dream.

Why would you need a car to move more things than you can carry? Can large or heavy objects not go through a transporter?
The dream sequences are very clearly dreams, that is not the case with the rooftop scene. The melting comes from the acid and the explosion is from the acid hitting the rifle.

Let's put it in a modern day setting. If you lived around the corner from a grocery store and bought 400 dollars worth of groceries would you attempt to walk a block holding 40 bags or are you going to use your car?

So if someone wants to move lots of stuff why do you think they'd try to drag it all to a transporter by hand?
And some people just like cars.
I loved it. It did surprise me that they're still using the same uniforms 20 years later, given how often Starfleet liked to change it up.
They're new uniforms.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Why would you need a car to move more things than you can carry? Can large or heavy objects not go through a transporter?

It could be that not everyone has 100% free usage of transporters all the time. For example here's what Sisko and Jake said in the DS9 episode Explorers:

SISKO: I remember, Jake, I wasn't much older than you when I left for San Francisco to go to Starfleet Academy. For the first few days, I was so homesick that I'd go back to my house in New Orleans every night for dinner. I'd materialise in my living room at six thirty every night and take my seat at the table just like I had come down the stairs.
JAKE: You must have used up a month's worth of transporter credits.

So Starfleet cadets had transporter credits they could use. It could be things have changed since the days Sisko was in the Academy, but it's not unreasonable to think not everyone can access transporters whenever they want. Alternatively, some people could just like taking a ride if they have the means available to them. Or they could be people who don't like to use transporters (such people do exist). There're tons of potential reasons for there to be small craft flying around everywhere.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So in the Borg cube reveal, you can spot that it's a Borg cube beforehand. Right as the camera starts panning out you'll see repurposed regeneration alcoves in the background, and then the same cavernous design, before it sweeps around corners to reveal the humongous size of the 'cube.

It was a really nice touch to the scene.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Google says Paris to San Francisco is roughly 9000 kilometers (or ~5500 miles). I thought that using them from orbit was pretty much their max distance.

Federation transporters have a range pretty comfortably in the area of 40,000 km, but I'm sure if we dug around we'd find examples of far larger ranges. Dominion transporters have ranges measuring in the area of lightyears.