• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think we'll see Data alive, it'll be Lore and Data will appear to Picard in his dreams. Brent was very clear he didn't want to undo Datas death in Nemesis. Also for spoilers maybe just tag first 24 hours since it releases later in the rest of the world.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Enterprise E should be helmed by Data, so seeing it is highly likely.

The 2009 Movie Trek prequel comic that established that is no longer canon to some degree since Spiner confirmed that Picard does not undo Data's death. Obviously, the destruction of Romulus is still canon though going by the Picard prequel comic. Of course, I guess Spiner could be waffling.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
The 2009 Movie Trek prequel comic that established that is no longer canon to some degree since Spiner confirmed that Picard does not undo Data's death. Obviously, the destruction of Romulus is still canon though going by the Picard prequel comic. Of course, I guess Spiner could be waffling.
I hope he is wrong and we see Data alive again.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Some people really just want TNG II.. that's not going to happen and theyve been making it clear it's not going to happen. Reactions should be a blast

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm not sure how we should handle spoiler tagging. If it's like Mandalorian, it's on episode drop But the episode does not drop the same time for all regions.
Should be open spoilers once the episode is released on CBSAA. If someone isn't in a region where that is then they should stay out of the thread until it's released in their region. It's not hard.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the camp that doesn't mind, and to an extent prefers, weekly drops. Netflix has their model, and it works for hard splash engagement at the front end, but I feel the cultural impact of many of their shows would work better if there was weekly
I much prefer weekly, I feel like it fosters community way better with the weekly discussions of episodes and speculation of what will come next.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
It's not that I want TNG 2, it's that this all looks goofy and generic so far, from characters to design and whatever else.

I would have liked to see something that continued the character of Picard from the series, that actually connects with who he was and became from All good things. Not the dumb movie version of Picard that dispensed with all that. That's what this new series seems like a sequel to.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully, it is good. I have l low expectations though. Everything seems to point to this not being the show I was hoping for when it was first announced, but we shall see if they can deliver something decent in its place.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
Do shows on CBS All Access release the whole season at once? I don't really want to sub to another service, but I could do the week trial and binge it.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people really just want TNG II.. that's not going to happen and theyve been making it clear it's not going to happen. Reactions should be a blast

I never really expected it to be TNG II. I feel like it's been pretty clear that it's not going to be that. However I would be pretty disappointing if doesn't at least have some level of focus on the more low key things that were in TNG, but are missing from something like Discovery.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Lol "generic" is such a meaningless buzzword it just mean stuff I don't like at this point
When I say generic, I'm getting at an impression that the aesthetic is in line with what has been seen before. Like it's made to live up to what is most common or familiar at this point. It doesn't seem 'fresh' or even really interesting. It's almost perfunctory.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the plan is to just make boilerplate sci-fi and slap Star Trek decals on it. I couldn't get through even one season of Discovery, this looks no better. I hope they do these characters justice but I'm not holding my breath.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Lol "generic" is such a meaningless buzzword it just mean stuff I don't like at this point

🤡 you should really stop regurgitating alt right conspiracy YouTuber material it's all bs

It's why I don't watch anything series related, ST or SW or otherwise, on Youtube. It's all toxic bullshit.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Some people decided they hated Disco long before an episode aired.

Some, yes. As for me, I watched Disco and saw that it was poorly written and pretty awful. I've seen others describe it as a badly written and generic Science Fiction show with the Star Trek name attached to it, and that to me seems to sum it up perfectly. I realise that some like it and that's fine.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
The show doesn't understand how to take a breath and slow down for a moment. It's just too much constantly.
Yes! It doesn't give the story any time to breathe or even make sense. Also it was possible to make a new show that still looked a little more primitive than TOS era but the people working on the show seemed to have no idea how to do that so you end up with a program looking more futuristic than TNG did. At least enterprise had a try and making things more primitive (if only half-heartedly).

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, Seven's dual wielding rifles.

I do like the premise. The balance between the action and character stuff is always going to worry me.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If people thought Disco S1 was unwatchable then I don't know how they watched TNG S1. lol

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some, yes. As for me, I watched Disco and saw that it was poorly written and pretty awful. I've seen others describe it as a badly written and generic Science Fiction show with the Star Trek name attached to it, and that to me seems to sum it up perfectly. I realise that some like it and that's fine.

If the second season has been like the first I probably wouldn't have watched any more. I really disliked it. But S2 was a real step up and more Trek-like, so I'm excited for more.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Its worrying seeing people going into this with a lot of negativity already. You'll never enjoy it that way.
From my perspective, it's not that I'm concerned about it being bad or good or whatever. It's more that it just seems uninteresting.

Star Trek, at it's best was something that could provoke thoughtfulness. It was visionary. I'm sceptical of what this series seems to want to do in regards to those aspects as it seems to be leaning on traditional heroic narrative, at least from the marketing so far.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited about this

The Picard character (and TNG as a whole) mean so much to me.

I'm not looking for TNG 2 and it looks like that's not what we're getting. I'm happy about that

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Spoilers on ep drop same as everything else. Apart from Thrones nothing is available at the same minute worldwide.

Just don't go in the fucking thread till you've seen it.
Some people decided they hated Disco long before an episode aired.
And they do like to keep telling us about it 😂

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Heavy pancake makeup?

The CGI has in fact been improved, see this article:

specifically this comparison image:

(on the left is what was used in the teaser/trailer a few months back, on the right is the improved version):

On that page Sirtis and Spiner even mention that it initially looked awful and has since improved:

SIRTIS: You looked awful.

SPINER: Yeah, it didn't look good. But they've repaired all that since. They just hadn't finished yet.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
People are dumb. Do we wait for any other show to be released outside its home country before talking about it? No. Why should Picard be special? And this is coming from a Canadian that won't be able to watch it until it airs at 9pm ET.

I actually forget what we did for Discovery. I'd probably be fine with following that model. If it turns out Discovery had open spoilers right after the episode aired, I'd be able to live with that. I don't think it's that big of a deal either way. But if you ask me what I'd PREFER, of course I'll pick the option with the least exposure to spoilers before I get a chance to watch it.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
data-comp.jpg

That... does not look better. It looks like they reduced the effects, which in turn made the age bags under his eyes more pronounced.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Disco didn't come on until prime time though, almost treated it like a normal show, Picard is dropping tomorrow morning where a majority of people will be off to work