• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks good.

That region block though
gJ1MM0r.gif

To this day I don't know how they convinced an actor of Patrick Stewart's calibre to lead a the sequel to a campy 60s sci-fi show. He's so fucking good.

Look how much he conveys in this one gif!

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Stewart is not a spring chicken anymore. Even the last time I saw him in person four years ago he was looking like the person he is: a man in his seventies.

I imagine at least some of this was a character choice Stewart himself made when pitching the series, but the rest of it is just logical storytelling and the realities of working with an actor of advanced age as your primary character.

Feel so lucky we're getting this. The dude is 80 next year. This kind of thing doesn't happen every day... and I'm amazed we've been led to believe it's running for multiple (three?) seasons.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
But so far behind when it came to excitement. Plodding along season after season until someone brings in the war, which is fantastic, then ends on one of the worst finales possible.
Fact of the matter is that garak who was in something like less than half of the episodes of the main cast of TNG had more character development than everyone bar data and Picard. It's not even close, my god, Rom, Jake and Quark who although I love as characters are most definitely not main cast....have more development than Riker did. Then we haven't even gotten into the first officer being a former terrorist (resistance fighter), a science officer whose been a man and a woman over several life times, a captain who is a minority raising a child alone. Even the character synopsis if you line them up are just more interesting in ds9. And I love TNG, I honest to god do, and I don't think ds9 "shits on it", but TNG gets a huge pass for how paper thin it's characters are. Let's not even get to how women are treated, troi never changes and for years just exists to be in something skin tight that has cleavage. *Talking to a romulan* "I sense deception captain" well no shit lol. Waste of a good actress

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Weird choice for the main starship in the show and those uniforms will take some getting used to but this show has me hyped like nothing else on TV.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Still mixed, slightly leaning towards this is going to be a misstep. The vineyard stuff is interesting but the writing has to be good. The space combat and anything with the younger people is meh. Jeri Ryan dual wielding blasters is weeeeird.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Lol, I always skip that one because it gives me the creeps.

I liked it, goofy warts and all

An episode that inverts all the familiar character traits you have established about your crew and has fun with them drunk - good idea!

To do it as effectively your first true episode of the series post the two part intro though is pretty nuts...

I'd expect that kind of episode in season 2 or 3 in a normal circumstance

Data and Tasha having sex will never not be ???????

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
This is cracking me up for some reason. All I remember from this episode is that klingon talking super condescendingly to Worf. What's happening in this shot?

Just looked it up, it' episode 17 of season 3, where Kurn comes aboard the enterprise in an officer exchange program. He basically gave his introduction and commands as a first officer to the crew.
It's quite hilarious how Picard looks straight into the camera for a quick second.

Feb 10, 2018
I liked it, goofy warts and all

An episode that inverts all the familiar character traits you have established about your crew and has fun with them drunk - good idea!

To do it as effectively your first true episode of the series post the two part intro though is pretty nuts...

I'd expect that kind of episode in season 2 or 3 in a normal circumstance

Data and Tasha having sex will never not be ???????

Is it the one where they can't get rem sleep?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Oh God dammit it looks good. Like a proper modern sequel to TNG but with a new non ship format.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Data looks weird. I think he'd look better if they just painted him silver and left his hair natural with some excuse about improved hair follicles or some shit lol.

I loved the "Good to see you up and about sir" line haha...

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking what I see so far. Glad to see Stewart looking zippy in a couple scenes. Data's look is still a mystery to me though. Why no de-aging? Something more going on there?

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm liking what I see so far. Glad to see Stewart looking zippy in a couple scenes. Data's look is still a mystery to me though. Why no de-aging? Something more going on there?
He was designed to age physically (cosmetically) by his created noonien Soong. Not even a retcon, straight from the horse's mouth in a TNG episode

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's ageing and all, but the 'look' of Data is ROUGH

It looks good for what it is. I've made peace that it isn't going to be what made TNG 'special' and thoughtful to me, but chance to get more of Stewart in the role with more TV modern sensibilities.

I'm ok with this. Bring it on.

It'd look a lot better if it wasn't paired with Spiner's very-70-years-old voice.

The uniforms are still kind of terrible, the Minority Report UI stuff is bad (RIP LCARS), and I'm concerned about excessive and thoughtless fan service, but I'm glad they're actually going forward in the universe instead of mucking around with prequels after all this time. They've got some good writers and some good cast, so hopefully we get a good show too.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Fact of the matter is that garak who was in something like less than half of the episodes of the main cast of TNG had more character development than everyone bar data and Picard. It's not even close, my god, Rom, Jake and Quark who although I love as characters are most definitely not main cast....have more development than Riker did. Then we haven't even gotten into the first officer being a former terrorist (resistance fighter), a science officer whose been a man and a woman over several life times, a captain who is a minority raising a child alone. Even the character synopsis if you line them up are just more interesting in ds9. And I love TNG, I honest to god do, and I don't think ds9 "shits on it", but TNG gets a huge pass for how paper thin it's characters are. Let's not even get to how women are treated, troi never changes and for years just exists to be in something skin tight that has cleavage. *Talking to a romulan* "I sense deception captain" well no shit lol. Waste of a good actress

I actually agree with this 100%, except even with all that, it never hits the heights that TNG did, and I'd argue that DS9 has the lowest lows too. TNG suffers from a very questionable first season with an episode so bad I never watch it anymore, but it ramps up so well and only really stalls again at season 7. No other trek has been able to match that.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Data sacrifice himself in the last movie? I think it's a dream.

Fair money says this latest trailer with Data is a dream and the previous trailer he's with B4...

Needing some info from B4's memory imprint of Data?

Oh, thats the one that scares me.
I will give the naked now a watch, sounds funny.

Do ittt...

I know Season 1 and 2 get some stick round here but personally I thought they had a freewheeling charm

I'd take 1-2 over Season 7 anyday where they are entrenched in autopilot in their characters and recycled efforts at plots done more effectively in seasons 3-6

All Good Things still remains one of the best finales of all time though, so IDK

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
It'd look a lot better if it wasn't paired with Spiner's very-70-years-old voice.

The uniforms are still kind of terrible, the Minority Report UI stuff is bad (RIP LCARS), and I'm concerned about excessive and thoughtless fan service, but I'm glad they're actually going forward in the universe instead of mucking around with prequels after all this time. They've got some good writers and some good cast, so hopefully we get a good show too.

in the last trailer i thought he sounded pretty much exactly the same as he did in TNG--it was kinda amazing actually. i'm pretty sure they're deliberately distorting his voice for that dream sequence.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Stewart is not a spring chicken anymore. Even the last time I saw him in person four years ago he was looking like the person he is: a man in his seventies.

I imagine at least some of this was a character choice Stewart himself made when pitching the series, but the rest of it is just logical storytelling and the realities of working with an actor of advanced age as your primary character.

Wait Stewart himself pitched this series?

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
BzE3bUL.png

Do you reckon this is supposed to be the same place as where kirk fights the gorn or do you suppose they just thought it was a cool location to film in and didn't realise they were using a past location?

iOCqMF9.png

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, they got the German VAs from TNG back. Seeing the German version of the trailer was fucking unreal.

Oct 25, 2017
BzE3bUL.png

Do you reckon this is supposed to be the same place as where kirk fights the gorn or do you suppose they just thought it was a cool location to film in and didn't realise they were using a past location?

iOCqMF9.png

As mentioned, it's used a bunch in Trek. Spock hangs out on it when it stands in for Vulcan in STIV, for instance. The jagged peak is definitely the most recognizable vista from the location though.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Still no Deep Space Nine cameos...
Can't have people remembering there is better Trek out there.
S7 is one of the worst seasons. They recover at the end but man, there's a bunch of clunkers to get through. DS9 is by far the more consistent show.

People remember TNG through a nostalgic haze of ionic interference that completely prevents the use of transporters.
Meanwhile, DS9 would just be one of the most genuinely diverse and progressive shows in the world even if it aired today.

DS9 is not gonna get any love in this series. Just look at those uniforms. Any of them. The dream ones, the new ones. DS9 never existed.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why, but they made an ad with a hologram on Picard called: "The Return Of Jean-Luc"

Plot twist: Picard is already dead.

How pissed is everyone going to be when

They kill Picard off in the first season and then the crew renames the ship after him and that's why the show is called Star Trek: Picard.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Even though I love brent it would have made more sense to have a young actor play his roll.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I want to like it but ehhhh at it being so action heavy. I don't want to see an 80 year old Picard sword fight.

And yeah that Data was rough. Looks like they didn't bother to deage Picard in the TNG uni.

Glad to see Frakes and Troi, though I'm a little surprised he's not still gallivanting around the universe

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
This looks great. Hope they keep the cameos to a minimum and let the series become its own.