• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the cameos don't feel like fudged in fan service. Kinda looks that way but it's what you'd expect from a trailer

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
They really should use some CGI de-aging on Brent Spiner. In this case if it looks fake/creepy it would 100% make sense being an android.

It's the voice that bothers me more.

his voice sounded absolutely perfect in the first Data trailer, so i suspect htat's deliberate distortion for the dream sequence

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the cameos don't feel like fudged in fan service. Kinda looks that way but it's what you'd expect from a trailer

It looks like the Riker/Troi cameos happen before he leaves Earth. Like mystery girl comes and asks for his help, he goes to Starfleet and gets shut down, so he talks to Riker and Troi for advice on what to do about the situation. I think that's pretty understandable. Have them in the pilot and then leave them on Earth when they steal their ship and run off.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know why, but they made an ad with a hologram on Picard called: "The Return Of Jean-Luc"

Plot twist: Picard is already dead.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a good feeling about this. Enjoyable trailer. Probably my most anticipated show at this moment.

Feb 10, 2018
Looks v. Good, but they do make Picard look old and frail, one of Picard defining attributes was great mental and physical strength.
Must be the direction they want to go though.

Feb 10, 2018
DS9 shits on TNG all day every day.
th

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Looks v. Good, but they do make Picard look old and frail, one of Picard defining attributes was great mental and physical strength.
Must be the direction they want to go though.

It would be pretty unrealistic to try and portray 2019 Patrick Stewart as a strapping, physically strong man. They're playing the cards they have.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 and 2? Yeah. Without a doubt. Can't really agree when it comes to 3 to 7. Not saying I think TNG is better but no way is DS9 that much better and I love that show.

S7 is one of the worst seasons. They recover at the end but man, there's a bunch of clunkers to get through. DS9 is by far the more consistent show.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Data looks fucking weird, but that looks pretty good overall.

Season 1 and 2? Yeah. Without a doubt. Can't really agree when it comes to 3 to 7. Not saying I think TNG is better but no way is DS9 that much better and I love that show.

After a recent rewatch of TNG, I've come to the conclusion that season 7 is it's shittest season by far. Some of the absolute worst episodes of the entire show are in that season and even the highlights don't compare to past seasons. The final episode is pretty good at least.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but he don't have to be frail old man either, but if that's the story then fine I will probably still love it, I'm just a bit surprised they made him really frail.

Stewart is not a spring chicken anymore. Even the last time I saw him in person four years ago he was looking like the person he is: a man in his seventies.

I imagine at least some of this was a character choice Stewart himself made when pitching the series, but the rest of it is just logical storytelling and the realities of working with an actor of advanced age as your primary character.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yeah, movie Picard is back and gonna punch that guy in the face with a sword.

Feb 10, 2018
Stewart is not a spring chicken anymore. Even the last time I saw him in person four years ago he was looking like the person he is: a man in his seventies.

I imagine at least some of this was a character choice Stewart himself made when pitching the series, but the rest of it is just logical storytelling and the realities of working with an actor of advanced age as your primary character.

True.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's going to be mixed. I think the Seven of Nine and Hugh additions won't. I can't but help see the Riker cameo feeling like pure fan service though. That won't be a bad thing but I think there is going to be a noticeable difference.

I've come to the conclusion that season 7 is it's shittest season by far.
I've seen some down on season 7. I might need to rewatch it as I don't recall ever disliking it.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling all the stuff I like from this trailer is going to end up being a very small part of the show.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty good trailer.

I agree some of it looks like fan service, but whatever, it's enjoyable and Star Trek has always been half cheese half, half sci fi, so I'll take it.

It's also good to just add all these nostalgic elements to launch the series and attract old fans and keep new fans with the flashy stuff. Hope they then switch to more original stuff in Season 2.

The only bad thing is that too many people are going to complain about it being "fan service".

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
DS9 actually has character development for all it's characters. Aside from Data and a little bit Worf, everyone on TNG is basically where they were at the start.

Every character on DS9 evolves. From actually doing something interesting with the Ferengi to actually having us root for Damar by the end of the series. Characters big and small are changed by their experience on the show.

Not to mention story arcs that lasted seasons, bold episodes that took on challenging issues, DS9 was so far ahead of TNG when it came to taking chances.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know yet. Obviously seeing the TNG-era cast doing cameos is cool in a nostalgic sort of way but I want to know more about the series itself, Picard's character and the new cast.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great to me. People didn't like Spiner's look but considering the time lapsed I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like is before Picard puts on the old insignia he's wearing a shirt with what i guess is the modern one that looks terrible.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Looks great to me. People didn't like Spiner's look but considering the time lapsed I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like is before Picard puts on the old insignia he's wearing a shirt with what i guess is the modern one that looks terrible.
no, that's just a visitor's badge. the new insignia appeared briefly in the previous trailer--it looks a lot like the one from All Good Things.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
DS9 actually has character development for all it's characters. Aside from Data and a little bit Worf, everyone on TNG is basically where they were at the start.

Every character on DS9 evolves. From actually doing something interesting with the Ferengi to actually having us root for Damar by the end of the series. Characters big and small are changed by their experience on the show.

Not to mention story arcs that lasted seasons, bold episodes that took on challenging issues, DS9 was so far ahead of TNG when it came to taking chances.

But so far behind when it came to excitement. Plodding along season after season until someone brings in the war, which is fantastic, then ends on one of the worst finales possible.