• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Reading that interview, and watching the show, imagine a world where the Trek franchise was managed by the Lower Decks team.

That's the dream right there.

Nov 11, 2017
Reading that interview, and watching the show, imagine a world where the Trek franchise was managed by the Lower Decks team.

That's the dream right there.
I agree, but I try not to think about it. Realistically it is at least a decade before there is even a chance of getting a good live action Star Trek again.

Oct 25, 2017
There is good live action star trek now

anyways that was great, Cretaceous ops! I wonder what's going on with Rutherford.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
There is good live action star trek now

anyways that was great, Cretaceous ops! I wonder what's going on with Rutherford.
Yeah, for sure. Still, we don't want to fall into the trap of the last trek run (or more recently Doctor Who) where future franchise runners aren't groomed as replacements of the old guard needs to step down.

I really, really hope that we don't just get 3 series of Lower Decks at that team doesn't get anything else Trek. I am crossing my fingers that we get some more seasons confirmed or they get to deal with something else trek.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
In between episodes, the Klingon High Council was informed about the Pakled situation and apparently their answer is to blow up Pakled Planet to hide their dishonor.
Rutherford has had some people mess with his head/implant presumably by some S31-type people. Presumably they're also the ones that framed Freeman for some reason. If so, Rutherford had probably been programmed to leave 'evidence' behind. Did this happen while he was visiting the captain's yacht?

Are these two disparate events or is it all a huge conspiracy? Hard to justify why someone would care so much about the Cerritos

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
This was good. This was DAMN good.

Probably one of the most efficient 30 minutes of television I have ever seen.

The only criticism is that a TON of story threads/character arcs that have been hanging around since like episode one were all pulled in and handled without warning. They were mostly satisfactory and none of them rang false, but it was super jarring to see them with little explicit buildup over the season.

That said, this was the gish-gallop of episodes: so many things at once that it is hard to fixate on specific flaws. I admire that approach.

Also, hilariously enough, this felt like an episode of Discovery but with the inherent emotional simplicity of a cartoon.

Man I wish this show was an hour long

Nah. Part of why this particular show works so well is because it is not married to the 45 - 60 minutes format.

With a longer runtime, we don't get different stories, we get the same stories with a lot more padding.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I had to look up Cetacean Ops and holy shit is that an obscure reference. I honestly thought this was somehow related to Seaquest DSV.

I think that might have been the best episode of Nu Trek I've ever seen. I'm so glad this show gets to exist.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
That finale was fantastic. I was wary of this show before it came out but now I'm so glad it exists. It's the best Trek of all the new stuff by a huge margin.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I had to look up Cetacean Ops and holy shit is that an obscure reference. I honestly thought this was somehow related to Seaquest DSV.

I think that might have been the best episode of Nu Trek I've ever seen. I'm so glad this show gets to exist.

Given how much of a TNG knockoff seaQuest was, it's very likely Darwin's tubes were taken from TNG stuff as well.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

This is parody, but sharp.

The Enterprise-D is mostly designed for humanoid use, but it does have two sections designed for aquatic mammals: Cetacean Ops and the Aquatics Bay. Until this [fictional] episode, the dolphins of the Enterprise had never been seen on screen. Few know that both Geordi and Worf were originally supposed to be roommates with main characters that were going to be talking dolphins. The dolphin twins would come in handy on water-covered worlds, and they would rise in the ranks until one was eaten. These stories had to be abandoned when the puppets kept sparking and setting the carpeting on fire. They were cut from the show, and most of their dialogue was rewritten for Troi.

McMahan, Mike. Warped (Star Trek: The Next Generation) (p. 72). Pocket Books/Star Trek. Kindle Edition.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
This is parody, but sharp.

Oh, no, Cetacean Ops is a thing, but confined previously to reference books and the odd novel:

memory-beta.fandom.com

Cetacean ops

Cetacean ops was a facility on Federation Galaxy-class starships and California-class starships. Located on deck 13, cetacean ops was directly opposite the wet/dry access lock to the cetacean crew's living quarters and navigation lab, and adjacent to the main computer core. It housed...

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Oh, no, Cetacean Ops is a thing, but confined previously to reference books and the odd novel:

Oh I know, what I'm saying is Mike McMahan has been referencing Cetacean Ops for years and I don't think anyone who follows him was too surprised to see this pop up.
Does make you wonder about dolphins doing a Darwin around the Enterprise though.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The last 3 episodes were fantastic.

It was cool seeing the Cerritos without panels. The dolphins reminded me of SeaQuest DSV. Nice callback to the Koala. A couple of interesting threads left dangling for S3.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
What an excellent finale. The back half of this season was just high quality throughout. A lot of exciting groundwork for Season 3 then

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
so a world with just ''funny'' rehash of tng yeah no thank you...
I like every new trek show except Picard, so don't take it as an attack on Discovery or something.

I obviously don't want any live action trek to be a comedy like lower decks, but I do think lower decks closes out it seasons a lot more strongly than most other recent trek shows. I also think Lower Decks deals with its crew dynamics quite well.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic final episode up until the end. Cliffhanger just didn't work for me. Didn't ruin the episode for me by any means, just seems like a lame way to end the season. I think cliffhangers should be exciting if they're going to do them.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In between episodes, the Klingon High Council was informed about the Pakled situation and apparently their answer is to blow up Pakled Planet to hide their dishonor.
Rutherford has had some people mess with his head/implant presumably by some S31-type people. Presumably they're also the ones that framed Freeman for some reason. If so, Rutherford had probably been programmed to leave 'evidence' behind. Did this happen while he was visiting the captain's yacht?

Are these two disparate events or is it all a huge conspiracy? Hard to justify why someone would care so much about the Cerritos

I thought the flashback was him remembering the installation of his vulcan implant, with the implication being he did not actually choose to have it installed and it was done for some nefarious purpose. You can actually see on the monitor in that scene that he doesn't have an implant yet

I think they kind of alluded to this before: https://trekmovie.com/2020/08/10/in...comedy-in-starfleet-on-star-trek-lower-decks/
Just a quick clarification on Rutherford. So his cybernetic implant is a choice? It's not to fix something, he wanted to have it.

We say in the show that it's a choice. Yes… I would say if the cybernetic implant seems odd to somebody who knows Starfleet stuff, then they are not wrong.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man. I haven't enjoyed Star Trek like this for a long time. The last half season has been amazing, I'm crying that it has to end for a bit. Loved the koala reference, glad to see they're starting to lean more on themselves rather than constant references to other trek. It seems like its finally coming into its own.

And I wonder If we're going to see Beckett/Jen as a ship or be just friends. Mostly seems like they're setting that up. Been doin a rewatch and it seems they've been low key dropping Jen in for a bit, so it doesn't feel like a throwaway.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for sure. Still, we don't want to fall into the trap of the last trek run (or more recently Doctor Who) where future franchise runners aren't groomed as replacements of the old guard needs to step down.

I really, really hope that we don't just get 3 series of Lower Decks at that team doesn't get anything else Trek. I am crossing my fingers that we get some more seasons confirmed or they get to deal with something else trek.
Yeah I could see that, especially with disco having so many behind the scenes issues.

Wait til you find out about the rubber ducky room.

I'm convinced mike has a staff whos only job is to scan each frame of every star trek episode for little call backs like this

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
With all the problems of episodic Trek rearing their head again in Lower Decks I'm all the more curious about Strange New Worlds. I've been rewatching the fourth season of Enterprise in the last few weeks and at least in terms of the way the show is structured they had some interesting ideas with all those 2-3 episode mini arcs that that had long running character arcs for the main cast running through them. It would be nice if they gave that concept another shot, just with characters that I care about and a setting that doesn't bore me to tears.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the last episode. I'm going to miss this show until it comes back for the next season. It seems like a lot of the lead characters are going to have some interesting stories in the future.

And I wonder If we're going to see Beckett/Jen as a ship or be just friends. Mostly seems like they're setting that up. Been doin a rewatch and it seems they've been low key dropping Jen in for a bit, so it doesn't feel like a throwaway.

It did seem like they were flirting at the bar near the end. At the very least I hope Jen gets some more time in season 3. We only saw her a little, but she was a funny foil to Mariner.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
After that cliffhanger we're definitly going to see more of T'Lyn and Ma'ah.

But we're going to have to wait a whole year to find out. No Fair!

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was gonna hate this show because it's a comedy and I thought I'd have lots of issues with whether or not it was really "canon".

Buuut once I got over myself I found it was my favorite Trek since TNG. Who knew.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that just The Orville?
Pretty much. lol

In lieu of a Galaxy Quest TV show that will never happen, Orville is basically a "fun" Trek show.

I hope Strange New Worlds will be the gap between the boring "prestige" television version of Trek we have now and the opportunity to tell classic 1 hour episodes that people will remember decades from now, but I'm just expecting Captain Pike to need to save the universe for evil Reaper aliens and stop time from ripping apart or some other boring season long plot. lol

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
The Orville reminds me of an SNL skit parodying Star Trek. All window dressing and no substance that leaves the Trek itch unsatisfied.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
nah the Orville is just familly guy tng edition which is just awful
It's really not. That's not to say it's perfect by any means, but it's basically the equivalent of one of those fan films that brings in a random old Star Trek cast member like George Takei or Tim Russ to make a new series. Except somehow he convinced Fox to give him millions of dollars to do it.

The fact that Braga is a producer, McCarthy does the music, Frakes directed episodes, and he's gotten as many Star Trek actors to do guest parts? It is the most expensive fan film ever made.

Nov 27, 2020
What a fantastic episode! I really enjoyed that the solution they used is something that would have been absolutely cost prohibitive in live action, yet the shots of the ship maneuvering through the field felt like it was from "Booby Trap".

I also kind of dug that we got the TNG "To Be Continued…" at the end of this. This felt like one of the later two parters that TNG did. None of them had the impact of BOBWs, but still would leave you wondering how it would be resolved next season.

Bonus points for Cetacean Ops! I'm really, really, wondering if there's someone on this show listens to the "Ensign's Log" podcast. That show also goes to Cetacean Ops…and let's just say that the stuff the dolphins were saying in this episode would fit right in with the podcast.

Nov 27, 2020
It's really not. That's not to say it's perfect by any means, but it's basically the equivalent of one of those fan films that brings in a random old Star Trek cast member like George Takei or Tim Russ to make a new series. Except somehow he convinced Fox to give him millions of dollars to do it.

The fact that Braga is a producer, McCarthy does the music, Frakes directed episodes, and he's gotten as many Star Trek actors to do guest parts? It is the most expensive fan film ever made.
That's a really good way to describe Orville. It's obviously TNG, with enough changed so they don't get sued, but it's also not Family Guy in space. It's extremely faithful to the source material, and I think it's far less jokey and less irreverent than Lower Decks. It's become increasingly serious since the first couple of episodes. In fact, the third episode, "About a Girl" was where I really sat up and took notice that this show was not a parody of TNG at all, but an earnest attempt to bring that style of space adventure series back. In all honesty, between Orville, Lower Decks and what I hope SNW will be, this is looking like a really good time to be a fan of episodic Trek (or Trek-like) series.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic season finale. This show really warms my heart. The cliffhanger was the only part that didn't work for me because Cap. Freeman getting arrested for bogus charges isn't very exciting.

Jan 29, 2018
Yeah, that was excellent. I'm just grinning that they showed Cetacean Ops, but the whole episode was well done.

Apparently Captain Gomez was a legacy character! I didn't remember her during the episode, but she spilled coffee on Picard as an ensign.

Nov 27, 2020
Yeah, that was excellent. I'm just grinning that they showed Cetacean Ops, but the whole episode was well done.

Apparently Captain Gomez was a legacy character! I didn't remember her during the episode, but she spilled coffee on Picard as an ensign.
Original actor too! She was also in "Samaritan Snare", which introduced the Pakleds, so I kind of wonder if she'll be back next season.

Nov 27, 2020
That's such a deep cut. I bet that actress never expected that call 35 years later.
There was a quote in a review of the episode I read where the creator of the show referred to her as "the original Lower Decker", and it makes sense to show someone who went from spilling hot chocolate on Picard to being a captain herself.

On a side note, that review pointed out something that I didn't pick up on in the episode. The ensign who shouts "It's the Cerritos!" does it in the same tone, gesture and shot framing as Boimler's "It's the Titan!" from the season 1 finale. It really puts an exclamation mark on just how much this crew and show came into their own this season. I feel like that suggests a level of confidence in the writing and characters that should pay off well over the course of the series.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Naked Time
FBqurJnVQAUFVvq

That's such a deep cut. I bet that actress never expected that call 35 years later.
IIRC she was supposed to become a recurring character on TNG, but the character just wasn't working.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This season finale was amazing. The whole series has been great, but this episode was up there. Can't wait for the next season.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think the personal conflicts were gut-punching enough but they definitely were solid and character-driven; but I'll be damned, having a ship strip to it's skivvies rumble it's way through a magnetic asteroid field with no power is a star trek first, so it's a hell of a season finale.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
I clapped when they rescued the ship. Even the 'to be continued' at the end gave me TNG vibes.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Oh wait, it's THAT Gomez? lol

That's a really good way to describe Orville. It's obviously TNG, with enough changed so they don't get sued, but it's also not Family Guy in space. It's extremely faithful to the source material, and I think it's far less jokey and less irreverent than Lower Decks. It's become increasingly serious since the first couple of episodes. In fact, the third episode, "About a Girl" was where I really sat up and took notice that this show was not a parody of TNG at all, but an earnest attempt to bring that style of space adventure series back. In all honesty, between Orville, Lower Decks and what I hope SNW will be, this is looking like a really good time to be a fan of episodic Trek (or Trek-like) series.
Yeah, About a Girl is basically Outcast. And every other episode is basically a Trek "homage" (or rip off) when it comes to that clunky allegory stuff.

I know that modern scifi isn't about "take a contemporary issue and set it in the future" anymore, but there's something just... charming about seeing the writers try to produce an episode about whether an AI can have a family or what it's like to fall in love with someone on a holodeck.