• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
I there something I missed about the way their ship's been doing?
when Titan fires at the Pakelds, the officer says that the photon torpedos are ready, but then it looks like they firing phasers... what am I missing here?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I there something I missed about the way their ship's been doing?
when Titan fires at the Pakelds, the officer says that the photon torpedos are ready, but then it looks like they firing phasers... what am I missing here?
I just went back and checked, they fire phasers and photons at the same time

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Boimler's demotion doesn't sit well with me. Him screwing up and getting demoted would be one thing, but getting a demotion for absolutely no reason just seems silly.

Jan 29, 2018
Aww yeah, I didn't notice him getting demoted. That's dumb.

Alright episode though. I knew Boimler would be back on the Cerritos but that's not how I would've guessed it would happen.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Boimler's demotion doesn't sit well with me. Him screwing up and getting demoted would be one thing, but getting a demotion for absolutely no reason just seems silly.
Honestly I'm disappointed that they basically retconned everything, although I suppose that's also a very Berman/TNG-like thing to do. :p

I know they weren't going to keep the cast separate from each other for long, but it would have been interesting to see what the dynamic would have been like with Boimler outranking his friends and the new guy changing the group dynamic.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for now. At the very least they lampshaded (or just directly referenced) how tiring it is to watch ships shoot phasers at each other over and over again, so if nothing else there may be some fun Star Trek stories. But having the characters go backwards is always the disappointing aspect of Trek.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually a bit surprised, slightly miffed at how they went about it but I'm sure I'll get over it by next week lol.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
That's what you get for wishing for a Trek show that is more like TNG because that ridiculous status quo reset is the most TNG thing ever.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
That's what you get for wishing for a Trek show that is more like TNG because that ridiculous status quo reset is the most TNG thing ever.
Only thing that would have made it worse is if they did the Trek thing of saying the entire first season was wiped out because of a timeloop and we start all over at the beginning. lol

Jan 29, 2018
Having never seen The Animated Series I had no idea that 'Spock Two' was a thing. I appreciate the deep cuts though.

I have no problem with the 'reset' since the core of the show is obviously the interactions between Boimler, Mariner, Tendi and Rutherford. Continually checking in on Captain Riker and his new junior lieutenant would've felt fractured, and betrayed the 'Lower Decks' premise. Plus it'll be fun when Boimler's transporter clone shows up in season 4 as an Admiral and Bradward is still an ensign.

Was "Rapunki, when he joined the Seven" supposed to be a reference to Jack Quaid's other show, The Boys? I don't know who Rapunki is but "The Seven" is a thing in that show.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The references are cute, I guess, but I'm happy for most of them to go over my head. Honestly I feel like the second season has already been a little too willing to dip into the reference well. It felt like 95% of the Tamarian dialogue was just winks to that one TNG episode, and it was annoying.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching the last episode, I think it needs to be said...

Riker is an awful Captain.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The references are cute, I guess, but I'm happy for most of them to go over my head. Honestly I feel like the second season has already been a little too willing to dip into the reference well. It felt like 95% of the Tamarian dialogue was just winks to that one TNG episode, and it was annoying.

Honestly, I bet a lot will go over everyone's heads unless you've either seen the series' a few times or if it's fresh from a re-watch. But I wouldn't be surprised if the nerds writing this show aren't just letting them out naturally. 😆

Oct 27, 2017
May just jump in to the weekly watch on this one instead of fitting it into the backlog of shows that will pile up for me in November/December.

From what it sounds like this season is still too heavily reliant on references and callbacks to previous Star Trek series instead of framing its own compelling narrative? Disappointing if true. It's why I thought that while the first season was a solid 5/10 and great at introducing establishing mechanics, some of those moments, entertaining as they are, hold the show back by being relied on as a crutch.

I don't mind these things supplementing characterization and plotting but Lower Decks has to eventually rely on crafting its own story if it wants to differentiate itself. Easter eggs aren't a substitution and are only entertaining for so long if the show insists on constantly incorporating them in lieu of meaningful development.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Rewatching the last episode, I think it needs to be said...

Riker is an awful Captain.

The episode is essentially a send-up of Riker and even Jonathan Frakes as a director, since his episodes/movies tend to be action-heavy running-down-hallways-with phasers. Jonathan Frakes poking fun at himself. I was smiling the whole time.

I could do with less explicitly called out references. Put them in the show, but you don't need to have them literally named and explained.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
The constant obscure references that they simply must do in every single episode was my main criticism of the first season, and as much as I enjoy the show otherwise, they haven't let up with it in the slightest in this season either. I think it would be much stronger if they would let it's own humour develop and let it stand on it's own.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This is getting a bit old. All the interesting setups from the 1st season finale have been reversed and the show is doubling down on what I consider its weak points instead. They said the second half of the season will be some sort of self contained serialized thing and maybe the show will find its footing again but this is super bleh stuff so far.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The reference joke density is a bit much and I am annoyed at how they handwaved both Boimler and Shax back but on the other hand they're really not afraid to amp up the interpersonal conflict in ways that are actually interesting and grounded and that was one of the things I liked the most about the first season so I'm enjoying this

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they need to just move past the lampshading of tropes and their own writing and get to telling stories again.

I totally give them a pass for Shax coming back in light of how common it is for people to come back from the dead in Trek - and exploring how it actually looks from the perspective of everybody else.

However I do agree the show needs to focus on core storytelling over referencing Trek tropes. This episode was still not bad in that department. Someone I know said there was even a nice message in the twist of what T'Ana really wanted: don't make assumptions about people's anxieties.

While framed amusingly with a cat reference, it turned out to be more than a cheap joke about T'Ana being horny. She was having a panic attack - and it makes sense, being chief medical officer in Starfleet where insane shit happens every five hours. Like people coming back from the dead. On the note of T'Ana, this was another bit of development for her.

She puts on attitude and acts like Turbo McCoy. But there's been several moments where she's displayed weariness and a desire for a bit of consideration she doesn't expect she'll receive. Like being a surprised and thankful someone gave her nachos.

Jan 29, 2018
I actually really like the joke of the Lower Deckers not getting to know what's up with Shax, just not sure it's worth the 'reset'. Hopefully Kayshon stays around.

Oct 25, 2017
I wholly appreciate the Worf "RAMMING SPEED" delivery from First Contact. I try work it in every driving game I play lol

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
After the strong last few episodes of season 1, I feel like the show has regressed. They should be focused more on developing these characters because they continue to feel like joke receptors instead of actual people.

Jan 29, 2018
After the strong last few episodes of season 1, I feel like the show has regressed. They should be focused more on developing these characters because they continue to feel like joke receptors instead of actual people.

I felt they did that a lot of development with Mariner and Tendi in this last episode. Tendi clearly wanting to differentiate herself from the stereotypical Orion woman, and even implying that she may have been some sort of pirate queen in the past.

And we now know that Mariner served on DS9 overlapping with Worf, and reinforced her issues with others advancing in their career and leaving her behind.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally settling down to Season 2.

Man I know it's so dumb, but the Cerritos nopeing out of that Borg battle in the opening credits still kills me lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they really explored Mariner and Tendi this last eps, not sure where the talk of them not focusing on the main cast is coming from.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
So Mariner is
pansexual.

Also, Mariner's "Ramming speed!" sounded really weird.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm still on board but if anything I feel like this season's way WORSE with the nonstop references. Maybe it's just the way they're incorporated into the episodes but they stick out like sore thumbs to me a lot more than last season. Harder to skip over and ignore, too, like the extended Voyager stuff that felt as shoehorned in as "Tom Paris loooooooves the 1950s!" in Voyager. And even as a meta-commentary on that shitty part of Voyager it's still not funny, not that I think that's what they were actually going for.

On the bright side I felt like everyone at least had something interesting to do except Boimler. Honestly, if they'd just jettisoned that c-plot the episode wouldn't have been any worse for it.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't really feeling this episode, and Mariner's hyper-competent shtick is wearing a bit thin.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm enjoying this season more than the first, tbh.

Me too >_>
Thread is awkward.

But naw, this series has been nothing short of an incredible love letter to the series. The fact the show can shoehorn in some many references on top of doing it's own with the plot is incredible.

Really hoping they put Caitians in a live action series again soon. Or literally just put the doctor in a live-action show ...they've done live-action cameos in cartoon form --- make the cat REAL!!!!!!

star-trek-lower-decks-riker-cameo-picard.png

loud-live-01.jpg

EAAz78tXYAAbBFh.png

latest

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first episode I liked because it was basically a standalone episode without the baggage of trying to resolve stuff from last season.

Maybe they should just do the TNG/VOY thing entirely and just don't bother having any consequences outside of the season ending/starting two-parters. lol