• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Star Trek The Animated Series (1973/74) is a flawed production but it is close in quality and content to S1 and 2 of the original series. I have no problems with standing my ground here. It is even the first Trek series to win an Emmy. Weird but true.
The 1,5 season toon further has better pacing that it´s "prequel" some of the time due to the halved runtime. S3 of the original series is bad btw. So bad that I don´t mind the convoluted last second (re-)cancelation of S4.

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished. Looks to be good. Im in. It didn't grate on me like final space did. The manic pacing as said above defn needs to be slowed down a bit. Hopefully they can also maintain the we are not important but we are important crew members thing. It usually very hard to maintain.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
That
glitch in the security system
is totally a plant for later in the season though right?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
First episode was alright (and i like the characters!), but to me this has the same problem Netflix's Space Force did where the completely earnest score can be at odds with the irreverent, fastpaced verbal comedy, and instead of mining that for jokes it just feels like the show is clashing with itself. Outside of a scene or two it didnt bother me here as much as it did in Space Force so its more of a nitpick but something that stood out.

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
Abysmal. Didn't laugh once. All the shouting and sped up voices were annoying. None of the cast is likeable, relatable or have any depth beyond a single dimension.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This was actually pretty good :) A lot of jokes were on the nose, but it's definitely more digestible than many other series out there.

Also, Mariner's characterization is spot on perfect.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't think you can claim how much depth the characters have based on one 26 minute episode. It takes a while to develop these things.

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like this may all. It looks nice but the delivery just sucks. The super fast talking and shouting is just hard to pay attention to. Maybe it will improve?

Seems like a poorman's Rick and Morty/Solar Opposites.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't think you can claim how much depth the characters have based on one 26 minute episode. It takes a while to develop these things.
They're cliches for sure, but that's basically why they (for me and some others) are also so relatable and seem "knowable". Mind you I can't remember any of their names, but there's the rebel, the stick up his ass guy, the idealistic newbie and the nerd.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like the Ensigns. Didn't see Beckett being the Captain's daughter coming.

The season trailer at the end was cool. Looks like we are going to get a lot of unique aliens.

Not really sure why they are censor some of the curse words though

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Its not about depth exactly, but in one episode (mostly between Mariner and Boimier, but to a lesser extent with Tendi and Rutherford) I understood what each character cares about, things they don't care about, what motivates them to act and why they might come into conflict with one another. Its sort of the opposite of depth, its efficiency of characterization and why their interactions will be dramatic

Compare that to Discovery (again, a show I like) and how much time it takes to answer one, maybe two of those questions for big chunks of the main cast

Oct 27, 2017
It was really hectic with a few standout moments. It felt like there was A LOT crammed in. Barely room for anything to breath, and I think the characters and writing are strong.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
It's got potential. I wish it would slow down a bit. Some chuckles but not laugh out loud stuff.

I like Star Trek enough to keep watching but I hope it's not always on fast forward.

Samoyeti

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first episode!

Nicely animated and the writing was solid. I actually love the look of the show and it looked like there was a lot of care poured into the details. I feel that this show has heart in its core and it aligns well with Star Trek (I've only seen TNG so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about).

The characters were well written and I could relate to all of them. I'm sold on all the protagonists, especially Mariner. So far, she is written as the most complicated character out of the four. I can see where other people are coming from when they mention that she is a little too much, but I didn't mind that personally. And yeah, the dialogue was really fast-paced -- I think that's how many animated shows are written nowadays for better or for worse. I have a feeling that's not going to change as much throughout the season.

Got a chuckle from my favorite line so far:

Everyone, protect this slime!

deeganay

Oct 30, 2017
I like Discovery a lot, but its astonishing how well this established strong characters in 26 minutes, something that it took Discovery like half a season to get started on
I agree with you! It was very nice to see a clear character path for the 4 main Ensigns'. Disco is great but I only started to like the show and characters after the 1st season (well, liked it more).

Loved the theme song, best part was the Cerritos being sucked up initially! So happy it's not anything like Enterprise.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So my (conspiracy) theory on this not being available in Europe is that CBS wants to launch All Access in Europe under a different brand and is holding back shows that they haven't already licensed to other streaming services until they launch their own service. That would either mean that Non-CBS All Access launches without Discovery and Picard, or it would mean that Amazon and Netflix lose Discovery and Picard, which is very unlikely in my opinion.

This could also mean that you need three subcriptions to keep up with all new Star Trek shows.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the fast pace is because it was a pilot episode and they had to prove the show could be funny. Also hoping all of the name drops at the end were to get a bunch of them out of the way for the rest of the series.

Got a chuckle from my favorite line so far:
The

sarcastic vulcan salute

made me actually lol

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my (conspiracy) theory on this not being available in Europe is that CBS wants to launch All Access in Europe under a different brand and is holding back shows that they haven't already licensed to other streaming services until they launch their own service. That would either mean that Non-CBS All Access launches without Discovery and Picard, or it would mean that Amazon and Netflix lose Discovery and Picard, which is very unlikely in my opinion.

This could also mean that you need three subcriptions to keep up with all new Star Trek shows.
i don't think so, discovery was supposed to be first then lower deck but because disco was delayed due to covid LD took it's place

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Just watched the first episode and I liked it. Saw the mother thing coming but liked the lead up to it.

Loved the Bajoran tactical officer and loved the gag in the preview where he basically said what was going on in Worf's mind every encounter in TNG.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
ZJhqOqx.png

XCOSZG7.png

The Leewit

Oct 27, 2017
What a blast! Humor, crisp animation and backdrops, great voice acting, quirky endearing characters, interesting breezy A and B plots, referential self-parody, all oozing with charm and fun. No surprise, Mariner stands out as my fave...know someone just like her, more or less, and
that mother-daughter dynamic.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Pilot episode was real enjoyable! Looking forward to to more. Beckett Mariner was awesome! Completely intrigued with her story already.

Can't believe I just said that for a new Star Trek series.... It's been so long. The whimsical unknown with a helping of optimism is refreshing!

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
That
glitch in the security system
is totally a plant for later in the season though right?

I just took more as the engineering nerd cared more about a glitch than a Kiss from an attractive woman.

When the scene happened I shock my head looked at my partner and said "Engineers, am I right?"

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
It could be but it could also just be how much
he cares about the job and won't be able to connect with "normal" people because it
I just took more as the engineering nerd cared more about a glitch than a Kiss from an attractive woman.

When the scene happened I shock my head looked at my partner and said "Engineers, am I right?"
I think its both. This is my called shot for the season lol

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Also the fact that Tendi is an Orion who is a member of Starfleet but seems to view her culture in a positive light is interesting.

But comedy show so I doubt it gets explored.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately surprised that I liked it, given how dumb the previews seemed. Mariner in particular seems more nuanced than I expected. Happy to see where this goes.

My main nitpicks are a) boy that's a whole lot of bad stuff happening in a single episode and b) the manic and overly jokey dialogue still feels a little odd, but both of those were pretty easy to handwave away.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Also the fact that Tendi is an Orion who is a member of Starfleet but seems to view her culture in a positive light is interesting.

But comedy show so I doubt it gets explored.

We know crime is still an issue, but we don't know if they still trade slaves. That hasn't been around since TOS day.

And we don't even know if the Orion Syndicate is something that really controls their world or not.

Oct 25, 2017
lol I went to youtube to find the season preview that appeared at the end of the episode and there are already a few videos talking about how the show is canceled and a complete disaster, these people don't give up.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
We know crime is still an issue, but we don't know if they still trade slaves. That hasn't been around since TOS day.

And we don't even know if the Orion Syndicate is something that really controls their world or not.
That's all fair points. For some reason I thought the Orion Syndicate still had slaves, but thinking back of it I'm pretty sure that is me adding the post TNG novels and Star Trek Online Canon to my memories.

On television and in movies it was never stated that they had slaves post TOS.

Edit: and considering that Quark was more than happy to lecture Sisco about the fact that Ferengi never had slavery, yet wanted to be a member of the Orion Syndicate...

That is strong evidence they don't have slaves in the 24th century.