• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: Spock once modified a Universal Translator so that Kirk could talk to a cloud of ionized hydrogen.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I feel like framing it as an issue of the universal translator 'not working' is incorrect, as that creates the impression of a literal inability to translate. Rather, just that the translator is insufficient to carry full meaning. Mind, that would be better served by having cases of some sentences appearing to be 'translated' just fine, only for the crew to fail to realise it's a cultural reference and they missed the underlying point to it

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The universal translator did pick up on their sentence structure; it's not like they were saying "and" and "at." It's just that the larger meaning was impossible to intuit absent the cultural context. If somebody spoke in 100% idioms, you'd run into the same issues; you could translate every word and reconstruct the sentence structure into something that appears to make sense but will still carry little to no actual meaning.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I think green would have been a good color for the sciences. Then you could have had command=red, security=gold, sciences=green and engineering=blue. Or some combination of those.
How about Command Red, Medical Green, Engineering Blue, Security Yellow
Or Medical White

If they use green it should be command like it was originally intended. TOS didn't actually have gold uniforms, they were green, they just happened to look gold under studio lights. Kirk's wraparound uniform is made from a different material and shows the real color intended of the command division. I always liked that color.

Nov 27, 2020
If they use green it should be command like it was originally intended. TOS didn't actually have gold uniforms, they were green, they just happened to look gold under studio lights. Kirk's wraparound uniform is made from a different material and shows the real color intended of the command division. I always liked that color.
That's kind of the color I was thinking of. I always like that alternate uniform they had. On TNG I can imagine a color like that being a pretty rich green.

Nov 27, 2020
IRT to "command" being a separate track to other disciplines, it's actually not much different to what the US Navy does with their officers. There are various "designators" denoting what career track you're on. Surface Warfare, Engineering, Information, Medical, and so on. While there are command opportunities for every designator, if you're going to command a cruiser or destroyer, you have to be on the Surface Warfare track. Same thing in the Trek universe. Command are the people being developed to eventually command a starship, while the others could eventually command something in their field, like how Dr. Crusher led Starfleet Medical for a year, or Scotty was considered a "captain of Engineering".

Edit: I forgot to mention that people in the Navy can change tracks in their career, just like how Geordi was command and moved to engineering, or Janeway was science and moved to command.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
IRT to "command" being a separate track to other disciplines, it's actually not much different to what the US Navy does with their officers. There are various "designators" denoting what career track you're on. Surface Warfare, Engineering, Information, Medical, and so on. While there are command opportunities for every designator, if you're going to command a cruiser or destroyer, you have to be on the Surface Warfare track. Same thing in the Trek universe. Command are the people being developed to eventually command a starship, while the others could eventually command something in their field, like how Dr. Crusher led Starfleet Medical for a year, or Scotty was considered a "captain of Engineering".

Edit: I forgot to mention that people in the Navy can change tracks in their career, just like how Geordi was command and moved to engineering, or Janeway was science and moved to command.
There's two big differences that stick out to me here: one, cruisers and destroyers are warships, so of course the surface warfare track would be get put in charge of them. But Starfleet isn't a navy, and the ships fall into a multitude of categories (science ships being the most prominent); having a singular command track that gets put in charge of all of them is sorta silly. And, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that surface warfare solely consists of learning how to command the ship. There's a lot of other systems along the way, it's more like being a tactical officer, no?

Nov 27, 2020
There's two big differences that stick out to me here: one, cruisers and destroyers are warships, so of course the surface warfare track would be get put in charge of them. But Starfleet isn't a navy, and the ships fall into a multitude of categories (science ships being the most prominent); having a singular command track that gets put in charge of all of them is sorta silly. And, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that surface warfare solely consists of learning how to command the ship. There's a lot of other systems along the way, it's more like being a tactical officer, no?
Sure, which is why in the Navy, you'll have Surface Warfare officers as Chief Engineers, Navigators, Damage Control officers, and so on. Ideally, a Captain would have touched (and become competent in) most aspects of a ship's function before reaching that level.

But Starfleet is totally the Navy (especially British and US). The rank and command structure, the jobs onboard (until you get to jobs like astrobiology and such), and the way the ships function all map nearly 1:1 to their real life counterparts. This is just another area that maps pretty well to the real life Navy. Starfleet talks a big talk about not being a "military organization", but they are totally a military organization. Cue "itsthesamepicture.jpg"

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't help when everyone not named Miles O'Brien is an officer and is apparently graded on the same scale, and as equally capable of climbing said scale. I must admit I'm partial to the STO solution: Have Captains wear the colours that reflect their particular career background, rather than put them all in red

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I always kind of saw engineering and security being related in that they are both "hands on" type of work. lol

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Discos use of Medical white was awesome, but still another color would have helped, Green like many have suggested or gray, pink or purple might have worked too. A dark purple would look badass

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: Spock once modified a Universal Translator so that Kirk could talk to a cloud of ionized hydrogen.
Starfleet only pretends not to be a navy, it's absolutely a navy.
Real talk tho: command being its own thing is weird.

A lot of Trek is nonsense if you think about it too much, which is why Trek isn't really hard scifi.

I thought Discos use of Medical white was awesome, but still another color would have helped, Green like many have suggested or gray, pink or purple might have worked too. A dark purple would look badass

I'm kind of wondering what color the Doc will wear with the new uniforms.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
I get that they think and speak metaphorically through allusions, and done with locked-in phrases. But at some level they need to understand how the nouns, verbs, etc. in those metaphoric expressions work, right?

It could be a case of lost language. It's a language of meme. And while they may have had more nuanced discussions in the past, the language was essentially lost except for certain meme templates that are used for relevant situations. Those ships may not have evolved much in the past thousand years as the flexibility of the language evolved to be meme-only. So no, they might not understand or even realize they are using nouns, verbs, etc. Those phrases were locked in generations ago.

The above was just an exercise for the writer and not meant to be taken too seriously.

Jan 29, 2018
I was just thinking how little Star Trek chatter there seems to be considering there's 3 live action series currently shooting (unless Disco finished already?). Hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer for a Strange New Worlds teaser.

I wonder how long they'll be able to resist introducing an Ensign Kirk or something like that.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I was just thinking how little Star Trek chatter there seems to be considering there's 3 live action series currently shooting (unless Disco finished already?). Hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer for a Strange New Worlds teaser.

I wonder how long they'll be able to resist introducing an Ensign Kirk or something like that.
I'm personally amazed that we haven't seen a Prodigy trailer. That's supposedly coming this summer, right?

The three live-action series don't have 2021 release dates, so I'm less worried that there hasn't been a ton of news on them.

I'm still very excited for the SNW trailer!

bremen

Sep 22, 2020

When they need a seasons ratings boost ala enterprise and the Borg.

Season 2 of Lower Decks soon isn't it?

bremen

Sep 22, 2020
Sure, which is why in the Navy, you'll have Surface Warfare officers as Chief Engineers, Navigators, Damage Control officers, and so on. Ideally, a Captain would have touched (and become competent in) most aspects of a ship's function before reaching that level.
One of the original TOS novels (don't ask which one) touched on this. Kirk explains to someone "they trained me in engine repairs and then gave me scotty who could fix things in half the time I could"

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020
Lower Decks is sometime in August. Disco is supposedly 2021 as well. I wonder if they'll try to have it immediately follow Lower Decks like it did last year.
I think so. Having a new Trek episode nearly every week is probably their goal, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets extended into next year.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we're about to get near continuous Trek once Lower Decks season 2 starts. It could go Lower Decks S2 — Discovery S4 — Picard Season 2 — SNW S1 — ??? — Lower Decks S3…and so on. Only the ??? is the gap I'm wondering about. I don't think Section 31 is being worked on anymore, so there could be a spring through summer gap still.

Oct 25, 2017
I think so. Having a new Trek episode nearly every week is probably their goal, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets extended into next year.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we're about to get near continuous Trek once Lower Decks season 2 starts. It could go Lower Decks S2 — Discovery S4 — Picard Season 2 — SNW S1 — ??? — Lower Decks S3…and so on. Only the ??? is the gap I'm wondering about. I don't think Section 31 is being worked on anymore, so there could be a spring through summer gap still.

Michelle Yeoh just signed up to another series, I really think Section 31 is dead

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/witcher-prequel-series-netflix-michelle-yeoh-1235012400/

Nov 27, 2020
Yeah…that was by far my least wanted Trek series. It was weird to be so excited for SNW and to be so not excited for Section 31. It just felt like an incredibly wrong-headed and tone deaf concept for a Trek series. "Let's make this shadowy group, who are sometimes fascists, into the lead protagonists for a Trek series." Um…yeah, no thanks. All of the post DS9 material that's featured S31 has completely missed the point that DS9 was trying to make there.

Nov 27, 2020
nice! though my one fear about SNW is that they're going to revert back to the outdated 1966 enterprise
I doubt it. I'm pretty sure that's just how the Enterprise will look from now on. They used the CGI model in Picard at Starfleet Headquarters and, as opposed to the version used in the Kelvinverse movies, it still looks very similar to the original, just with a modern sheen. I can see them tweeking little details here and there, such as the angled struts (more like the ENT refit) to be more straight like in the series, but thats about it. Among "fans" (and I use the term loosely when it comes to the loud anti-everything YouTube set), that design was about as universally liked as you can get these days.

If they do change the design to be "in line" with TOS it will be at the very end of the series finale where the ENT gets a refit and Kirk takes command for the five-year mission. I could totally see something like that happening, to be honest.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah…that was by far my least wanted Trek series. It was weird to be so excited for SNW and to be so not excited for Section 31. It just felt like an incredibly wrong-headed and tone deaf concept for a Trek series. "Let's make this shadowy group, who are sometimes fascists, into the lead protagonists for a Trek series." Um…yeah, no thanks. All of the post DS9 material that's featured S31 has completely missed the point that DS9 was trying to make there.

Yeah I'm glad it seems like Section 31 is dead. It doesn't need a show. Plus I like her as an actress but don't really want a Star Trek show starring a character that was the Empress of a facist version of the Federation. It also annoyed me to no end the Discovery writers thought all of the characters should be so buddy buddy with her. Let her character be gone, we don't need a show constantly starring a mirror universe character.

Jan 29, 2018

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Nov 27, 2020
"The restoration is expected to take 6-8 months and will launch with an exclusive window on Paramount+."

I don't think their app is known for the picture quality so hopefully there is a disc release before long.
Hmmm….does that mean that they're redoing the CGI done for the original director's cut? That was a pretty significant controversy back when it originally came out. The new CGI was done by Foundation Imaging (same company that did a lot of DS9 and VOY CGI) and it was only rendered at 480p. I really hope that it's not an uprez job, because those shots would look terrible next the the original model work and live action footage.

TMP and WoK are the only two really improved by the director's cuts, aren't they? The rest are fine with the theatrical editions? I've got the DVD set with all the Director's Cuts and special editions, but I've never watched them.
TMP is absolutely improved by the director's cut. It's more than just trimming scenes - the Director's Cut literally finished the movie. Scenes that had incomplete visual or sound effects are completed.

TWOK is improved, but it's not much different than the ABC TV version from back in the day that added in cut scenes. It basically adds back Peter Preston as Scotty's nephew and a few other things.

The only other significant director's cut of the TOS movies is TUC. That one is arguable. It adds some scenes that give more context to things that happen in the movie, but it also puts the infamous "Scooby Doo" reveal at the end.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018

It was stated that we'd get three series in 2021 at a gues it's Lower Decks Season 2 August 12 - Prodigy October 21- Discovery December 30 - Picard March 10 - SNW May 19. That's assuming that Prodigy will be ten episodes and Discovery has twelve

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I finally finished TNG and I feel empty inside. I love those characters so much. Not sure if I should go back and watch the original series or move on to Deep Space Nine next. I've heard mixed things about pretty much every other series after Deep Space Nine. Are Voyager, Enterprise, and Discovery worth watching?

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished TNG and I feel empty inside. I love those characters so much. Not sure if I should go back and watch the original series or move on to Deep Space Nine next. I've heard mixed things about pretty much every other series after Deep Space Nine. Are Voyager, Enterprise, and Discovery worth watching?
watch ds9 it's way better than TNG

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, only season 3 and 4, yes

it's all personal choice, just give them a try but nothing reaches TNG

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
watch ds9 it's way better than TNG
It's gonna be really hard for anything to top that cast for me but I'll keep an open mind. Picard is such a fantastic character. He's basically the antithesis of all the dumb characters in horror movies that are constantly making terrible decisions.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I like DS9 better than TNG but could totally see someone liking TNG better. There's a bunch of TNG characters on DS9 as both reoccurring characters and one off episodes so you'll have that to enjoy.

Voyager felt like a worst TNG to me but I haven't watched it in many years. I enjoyed seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise and wish it had made it to 7 seasons with season 4 quality.

I can't say I've been a fan of Discovery or Picard. Feels like it went in a totally different direction than TNG era Trek and I'm just not a fan. I did like Lower Deck quite a bit aside from the super rushed first episode and felt closer fo the spirit of TNG and DS9 than Discovery and Picard to me.

The Orville is also surprising good. Its a TNG clone with more jokes but it's had some pretty good episodes and I recommend it to any TNG fan as a love letter to TNG.