• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 27, 2020
I just finished watching TNG's "The Ensigns of Command"…and how have I never noticed that there a Battle Droid from Star Wars hanging out in the living room of the house Data visits?

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Much like Disco S1 is going on and the Federation is in an all-out war for survival with the Klingons but chose to keep their newest, biggest ships off in deep space For Reasons 🤷

This is interesting. But yeah, I guess that's a conflict that sort of happened in TOS. The backstory is clear that Kirk fount in this Klingon war, but also that Pike was on a mission at the time. There really isn't a way to fix that since that is established canon. But I would say it's a Disco S1 thing. It's a TOS thing, right? And it's a messy canon just from the TV show without looking at anything else.

Nov 27, 2020
This is interesting. But yeah, I guess that's a conflict that sort of happened in TOS. The backstory is clear that Kirk fount in this Klingon war, but also that Pike was on a mission at the time. There really isn't a way to fix that since that is established canon. But I would say it's a Disco S1 thing. It's a TOS thing, right? And it's a messy canon just from the TV show without looking at anything else.
There was never an overt reference to a recent war with the Klingons in TOS, just "conflict". It could have been read either way. Most fans just assumed, based on other lines of dialogue that there had been one. For example, the battle of Axanar…most fans have long assumed that was a battle with Klingons that Garth of Izar was noted for, but that's never once stated in the show.

That's actually one of the problems with Trek "canon". It's been around for so long and there's been so much ancillary material and fan assumptions that canon is just as likely to be a fan assumption than it is to be something from an actual episode. Take Spock, for example. For decades, the fan assumption was that Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet, so when people saw T'Pol in Enterprise they were pissed. Except that assumption is directly contradicted by TOS itself. The Intrepid, destroyed in "The Immunity Syndrome" had a Vulcan crew.

I learned a long time ago, pretty much when I was watching TOS as a kid, that Trek canon is a fluid and amorphous thing anyway. TNG rewrote parts of it, DS9 and VOY rewrote parts of it, and it all doesn't really matter all that much. There's just too much material for anyone to keep straight anyway, outside of the broad strokes.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and even then, if they were set on not showing Constututions/keeping Pike out of conflict with the Klingons during S1, there were plenty of other possible scenarios (such as not making the war so big/desperate with the Federation seemingly guaranteed to lose and be wiped out if not for Discovery).

Nov 27, 2020
Yeah, and even then, if they were set on not showing Constututions/keeping Pike out of conflict with the Klingons during S1, there were plenty of other possible scenarios (such as not making the war so big/desperate with the Federation seemingly guaranteed to lose and be wiped out if not for Discovery).
To me the simplest solution is the best. The Enterprise was out on a five year mission in uncharted space and didn't make it back in time to participate in the war. Solves the problem of why the Federation's most advanced ship wasn't involved, is in line with established Trek lore, and isn't a convoluted answer like what they went with.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
To me the simplest solution is the best. The Enterprise was out on a five year mission in uncharted space and didn't make it back in time to participate in the war. Solves the problem of why the Federation's most advanced ship wasn't involved, is in line with established Trek lore, and isn't a convoluted answer like what they went with.
Yeah. That definitely would have worked. Especially since this was all set after the events of The Cage etc when the Enterprise had already been out exploring.

Nov 27, 2020
isn't that basically what they say at the start of season 2?
No, they say that Enterprise was sent away at the start of the war so that the "flagship of the Federation" wouldn't be destroyed, and if the Federation fell, someone would be out there to carry on the principles of the Federation. It's an interesting thought, the idea of having an "ark", just in case, but it feels a bit too "explainey", especially since none of that plays into season 2.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
No, they say that Enterprise was sent away at the start of the war so that the "flagship of the Federation" wouldn't be destroyed, and if the Federation fell, someone would be out there to carry on the principles of the Federation. It's an interesting thought, the idea of having an "ark", just in case, but it feels a bit too "explainey", especially since none of that plays into season 2.
Oh, that is kind of dumb. I like the version I made up better.

Nov 27, 2020
Oh, that is kind of dumb. I like the version I made up better.
I've never been a fan of the whole "flagship of the Federation" business much anyway. It kind of made sense for the ENT-D, given the sorts of missions they did, but to retroactively apply that to every Enterprise in the past is a little weird. There was never any indication that the Enterprise in TOS was that special. There were other starships out there on missions, usually getting their crews killed, but still…

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

It was already out in deep space at the onset of the war; the point is on why it was never recalled. The common assumption, initially presented by Michael as an assurance to Pike, is that the Enterprise was so far that the time in which it would take to travel back, it wouldn't be able to meaningfully contribute to the war effort, so better to have it continue the diplomatic and exploratory work it was assigned to. In general principle that's pretty alright, but doesn't work with the Enterprise being back in Federation space within a few days of the peace settlement. Then Cornwell states it 'sat out the war' (again, never recalled, rather than sent off) because, yeah, they wanted the 'best of Starfleet' to survive. The Enterprise is not referred to as the flagship in that context

Nov 27, 2020
It was already out in deep space at the onset of the war; the point is on why it was never recalled. The common assumption, initially presented by Michael as an assurance to Pike, is that the Enterprise was so far that the time in which it would take to travel back, it wouldn't be able to meaningfully contribute to the war effort, so better to have it continue the diplomatic and exploratory work it was assigned to. In general principle that's pretty alright, but doesn't work with the Enterprise being back in Federation space within a few days of the peace settlement. Then Cornwell states it 'sat out the war' (again, never recalled, rather than sent off) because, yeah, they wanted the 'best of Starfleet' to survive. The Enterprise is not referred to as the flagship in that context
I could have sworn that they called it that in the scene were the talk about the Enterprise sitting out the war, but maybe I'm misremembering.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn that they called it that in the scene were the talk about the Enterprise sitting out the war, but maybe I'm misremembering.

I admittedly skimmed to the scene in question, so I wouldn't be surprised if it came up elsewhere. Then again, it could be one of those things so commonly assumed canon in spite of actual text - the D explicitly being the flagship, and the NX-01 being such by default, has often led to the subsequent association and assumption that all Enterprises were/are

Nov 27, 2020
I admittedly skimmed to the scene in question, so I wouldn't be surprised if it came up elsewhere. Then again, it could be one of those things so commonly assumed canon in spite of actual text - the D explicitly being the flagship, and the NX-01 being such by default, has often led to the subsequent association and assumption that all Enterprises were/are
I am 99% certain that they called the Enterprise that, in dialogue, on Discovery at some point. I just don't have time to go through all of season 2 to find it! lol

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I am 99% certain that they called the Enterprise that, in dialogue, on Discovery at some point. I just don't have time to go through all of season 2 to find it! lol

The chief thing I recall is the various mentions to the Constitution classes being considered very favourable ships to serve on - hence Michael urging Tilly to look at such when going for the command track - yet at the same time well established and slightly out of date (since, well, the Enterprise has been in service for over a decade by this point). Nhan makes a remark on Discovery getting all the new and up to date stuff - outside of the uniforms - which has Pike lightly chide her not to get too envious. It's like serving on a Nimitz class carrier - even if not 'the flagship', it's a damn big deal.

Jan 29, 2018
I picked up the Lower Decks bluray, excited to watch it again. In my memory the first 2 or 3 episodes were kinda rough then the rest was great. We'll see if that assessment holds up.

Nov 27, 2020

Interesting...I wonder if this will ever actually come out

My guess is no. I suspect that this was planned as the 23rd century spin off as early as the end of DSC S1, around when they decided that the end of S2 would send the main show into the future. What I don't think they considered is that the fan reaction towards Pike and the 1701 would be as unanimously positive as one can get these days, and the producers and CBS All Access (sorry, Paramount+!) switched gears and shifted their focus towards what would become Strange New Worlds.

Their best bet would be to use their best Section 31 ideas for SNW, and cast them as occasional frenemies of the 1701's crew. There's really no need for four live action shows and two animated series in concurrent production. Even in the early to mid-90s heyday of Trek, the closest they came to that was four concurrent productions (S7 of TNG, S2 of DS9, production on the VOY pilot, and pre-production on Generations, all in 1994).

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Their best bet would be to use their best Section 31 ideas for SNW, and cast them as occasional frenemies of the 1701's crew. There's really no need for four live action shows and two animated series in concurrent production. Even in the early to mid-90s heyday of Trek, the closest they came to that was four concurrent productions (S7 of TNG, S2 of DS9, production on the VOY pilot, and pre-production on Generations, all in 1994).

I've had this thought as well. Use 31 as the dark side of Starfleet to balance Pike & the enterprise as the light side of Starfleet

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched Devil's Due (TNG). Why does Picard sleep in those short silky robes with bare chest?

Anyway I thought it was a fun episode.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
In the future, humanity has evolved
Would you prefer he slept nude?
Why do you care what he sleeps in?
Oh my God, it's just a harmless observation you guys... When Ardra teleports him to Ventaxian II in the middle of the night, it's clear that Picard is quite embarrassed. He's wearing a tiny slinky robe in front of everyone. I just thought "well why do you like sleeping in it??"

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Oh my God, it's just a harmless observation you guys... When Ardra teleports him to Ventaxian II in the middle of the night, it's clear that Picard is quite embarrassed. He's wearing a tiny slinky robe in front of everyone. I just thought "well why do you like sleeping in it??"
Sorry, i was trying to make a joke. I guess it didn't work over the internet.

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Well this is awesome lol I was about to order one too

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never really gave Enterprise a chance when it premiered back in the day, and decided it was time to give it a shot. Holy hell, the sexual exploitation of T'Pol in that pilot makes Seven of Nine look like a nun. The nipples, the "decontamination" lube, the tight shots of her body. Does this shit continue throughout the whole show?

Oct 25, 2017
I never really gave Enterprise a chance when it premiered back in the day, and decided it was time to give it a shot. Holy hell, the sexual exploitation of T'Pol in that pilot makes Seven of Nine look like a nun. The nipples, the "decontamination" lube, the tight shots of her body. Does this shit continue throughout the whole show?
Yes...but at least they include the guys later to!

Nov 27, 2020
I feel like they tone it down a bit later on, but yeah…those decon scenes, especially in the first episode are super uncomfortable. It doesn't help that those scenes are lit like a soft-core Cinemax movie from the late 90s.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching DS9; I'd forgotten how damn good a lot of the early eps are. There's a higher % of stinkers than later in the series, but some of the best episodes are season 1/2. The comparisons to other Trek early seasons does the show a real disservice, imo.

Nov 27, 2020
Rewatching DS9; I'd forgotten how damn good a lot of the early eps are. There's a higher % of stinkers than later in the series, but some of the best episodes are season 1/2. The comparisons to other Trek early seasons does the show a real disservice, imo.
Absolutely. I think it's easily the best first and second seasons of the TNG era shows. It has the best premiere of any of them, and no other TNG era first season gave us a stone cold classic like Duet. The only other Trek show that was better in it's first season was TOS.