• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk what you mean, I fucking love Mass Effect.
picard does have the same ''quality'' as a certain Mass Effect product
VAwCNwZ.jpg

1ggsdrvmd1x01.jpg

Last edited:

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
been rewatching DS9 and Voyager roughly in chronological order

early voyager is better than I remember it being, though I'm still extremely disappointed by how the show immediately drops the maquis stuff outside of the occasional reference

after all that work TNG and DS9 did to set the Maquis up, too

oh and since I rewatched it yesterday, Janeway DEFINITELY murdered Tuvix, and for no good in-universe reason

it's like she knew she had to get Tuvok and Neelix back because the episode was ending and the cast had to stay the same

as for DS9, it's still the best Trek show

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
oh and since I rewatched it yesterday, Janeway DEFINITELY murdered Tuvix, and for no good in-universe reason
Her argument to do it actually works against her doing it too. "Tuvok was a man who would gladly give his life to save another and I believe the same was true of Nelix" Yeah, and so they'd both be good with Tuvix living instead of them. lol

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
has anyone in the history of planet earth ever given a fuck about the Kazon?

the vidiians were much better as antagonists

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wasn't there an episode where even the borg were like "Eww, go away" because they didn't want the Kazon to muck up the collective?
The Kazon were known to the Borg as species 329, but were deemed unworthy of assimilation. (VOY: "Mortal Coil", "Relativity")
memory-alpha.fandom.com

Kazon

The Kazon were an aggressive warrior species from the Delta Quadrant, first encountered by the Federation starship USS Voyager in 2371. (VOY: "Caretaker") As of 2372, they were divided into eighteen different sects. Each sect had possession of different natural resources over which the sects...

🤣

Oct 25, 2017
A Star Trek visual that's always been of particular interest to me is the nacelle's collector cap on the TOS enterprise
There is such subtlety and nuance to the effect that I have very rarely seen it properly reproduced digitally
Otherwise fantastic renders and animations very frequently can't manage to do them justice
Even the version in TOS Remastered is usually just...okay

I think the best digital reproduction I have ever seen is this one (besides rotation) from Donny Versiga. The visual effect is just perfect.
TOS remastered came 10 years too early.

youtu.be

TOS Enterprise Nacelle Dome Effect Test

Work-in-progress demonstration of the nacelle dome lighting effect of U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701, as seen in Star Trek: The Original Series. This is part of...

Also found this gif from " Eaglesg" who did the caps fairly decently
IZArmF8.gif

This version from Eric Reinholt is also pretty cool. Darker and bolder than is typical, but some shots from TOS did also look that way! It's closer to how the filming model actually looked (rather than what was usually seen on-screen).

youtu.be

Tholian Web Introductory Test Shot 2017

This is another of my favorite shots of the USS Enterprise. This shot was used as the introduction shot in The Tholian Web, but it was also used in Elaan of ...

Of course it did appear in DS9 looking darn good, but rather than a digital reproduction, this was actually a new physical model built by Greg Jein

youtu.be

That's the...Enterprise.

5x06 Trials and Tribble-ations

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Going down the youtube rabbit hole, this is pretty funny

Yeah I watched that video a while ago and maybe they should have made the Enterprise D crew a little bit bigger considering the size of the ship and the fact that less than 1/3 of the crew would likely be working at any one time assuming 3 shifts and the crew gets 1-2 days off a week (though I'm honestly not sure if it's ever been established how much if any days off Starfleet crews get per week).

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The ship was very empty but what surprised me more was that they had quarters without windows. Obviously not every room can have an actual outside window but there's no reason not to have a holographic screen that shows either space or whatever scenery the person living there wants to see. They build a giant hotel with all amenities but not even some fake daylight for the crews' living rooms?

It wouldn't even have been a big deal for the production, just add a window to the small quarters set and hang up either a starfield curtain or a blue sky with clouds backdrop with some potted plants.
They did it for the big quarters in Troi's dream, it doesn't take that much effort.

c94e145e-c3e3-4b2f-8dljeb.jpeg

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
The Kazon always felt like a Klingon knock-off from a protentional serious Turkish Star Trek copy lol.

Sep 7, 2020
I always thought the Vidiians were a way better enemy, they did terrible things BUT you could also understand why they got to that point. I wish they were more prominent than the Kazon who were just meh.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Been playing catch up with Lower Decks and it started a bit iffy but I've really enjoyed how it came together down the line. Only 2 left in the season for me.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood how the Kazon were a threat. The had scattered clans and stolen tech but must have had an absolutely enormous amount of territory considering how long Voyager ran into them. And everyone was afraid of them!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood how the Kazon were a threat. The had scattered clans and stolen tech but must have had an absolutely enormous amount of territory considering how long Voyager ran into them. And everyone was afraid of them!

They weren't really a threat until they decided to work together in Basics. Seska and her traitor spy friend did some meddling before that but that's mainly it. In Caretaker Voyager was fucked from the Array use.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

I think they were basically meant to function as Space Mongols, but in a pre-Genghis Khan kinda way. More 'raiders' known to cause trouble than a formal, widespread empire, but such is enough when most people aren't armed well enough to defend against that. But well, IRL Mongols were a great deal more complex than that, while the Kazon largely... aren't. While there's plenty of potential in the concept, the series doesn't really use it well

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamnit. Wrapped up DS9 last night. Five episodes into that final stretch I was about to call that entire thing the best TV finale ever, dethroning All Good Things for me. It was just really excellent, paying off and advancing multiple long running storylines efficiently and skillfully.

And then I got to those last two episodes, and the whole thing flies apart like an exploding pocketwatch. What happened? Its like they had all their endings written independently and they had to jigsaw them together. There's lots of good ideas in there, ending the war by giving the Founders the cure, and Odo returning to them to bring a new perspective on life is actually a really good, and thematically consistent way to end a Star Trek show's version of a war story. But it needed way more time during the episode, and I'm not sure why it took us almost an entire episode to reach the point where Odo and the female Changeling were in the room together only for their scene to resolve in like sixty seconds.

I have never cared about the stupid pah-wraiths, but again the stuff they'd been doing with Dukat and Winn over the prior episodes worked, it got me into that storyline and I wanted to see where it was going. It turns out it was going off a cliff. This story badly needed to tie into the Dominion stuff again, which is something this show has been good at doing historically. As it is, they end stuff by having Sisko at a party go "Oh shit I should be in the fire caves" and then he is, and then he dies.

All of the wrap up stuff is...fine. In a lesser show it would be great. Like I said, its just that this show was so very rarely sloppy, and so having the finale be this sloppy is disappointing.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I have never cared about the stupid pah-wraiths, but again the stuff they'd been doing with Dukat and Winn over the prior episodes worked, it got me into that storyline and I wanted to see where it was going. It turns out it was going off a cliff. This story badly needed to tie into the Dominion stuff again, which is something this show has been good at doing historically. As it is, they end stuff by having Sisko at a party go "Oh shit I should be in the fire caves" and then he is, and then he dies.
I love DS9 so much but the Pah-wraith shit was trash

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Going down the youtube rabbit hole, this is pretty funny

This is something that comes up a lot in the Culture novels actually: its easy to underestimate how fast usable space begins adding up when you add a third dimension. 600 meters squared of a city on Earth isn't that big, but if you suddenly make that 300 meters tall also you've multiplied the usable space by a factor of like 120

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
oh hey i've reached the point in my voyager rewatch where Seven of Nine makes a false rape allegation