• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I have a copy of Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise and the old Star Fleet Technical Manual as well as the TNG Technical Manual. Glad I have a first printing of that, since it sounds like it went poorly later.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird watching the Ferengi first contact episode on TNG compared to what we learn about them in DS9, they seem like big enough players in the galaxy that it's hard to believe the Federation knew nothing about them outside of rumors.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Weird watching the Ferengi first contact episode on TNG compared to what we learn about them in DS9, they seem like big enough players in the galaxy that it's hard to believe the Federation knew nothing about them outside of rumors.

TNG writers/Roddenberry didn't think things through very well. Ferengi were supposed to be a threat on the level of the Klingons.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
LhnpOIF.jpeg

Oct 25, 2017
TNG writers/Roddenberry didn't think things through very well. Ferengi were supposed to be a threat on the level of the Klingons.

Eh, I think it could have worked, but they'd definitely have to have pushed it further. The idea of creating an enemy that was basically the avarice of the 1980s turned into a spacefaring empire could have had promise when clashing with the federation.

I definitely think DS9 might have layered more into their race, and gave us good characters to boot, but it simultaneously always felt trapped in ridiculous 'comedy' plots that didn't do the material justice.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so CTV released a trailer of lower deck too early and quickly took it down but people were able to take some screenshot

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Those reviews though.
  • Do yourself a favor and get a more useful used copy of the first printing. It is printed on-demand. It is printed from a scanned copy so the quality is horrible. The first printing was printed in black AND blue ink, the reprints are all in black, so there is a big issue with a lot of the graphics.
  • The Kindle version is terrible. The text is all there, but the illustrations, for which the book was known for are small, blurry, and look like somebody literally photocopied them (and not very well). To make matters worse, some of the illustrations are in the wrong place and don't even match their captions.
  • While the original printing had crisp, two-color graphics, this was obviously a fairly quick scan/OCR job. The illustrations don't show much detail, and often have incorrect captions due to missing illustrations. The text itself contains numerous and obvious errors from the OCR process.
  • The material is all here but they phoned in the printing. I think Xerox actually published this. I would rather have a used dog eared 90s version than this thing. Some of the illustrations are down right unreadable.
  • This is clearly a quick and dirty hatchet job.
  • My only complaint is that the artwork is exceptionally poor; the images are there, but they are reproduced so poorly from the hard copy that they subtract from the immersive experience one would expect of a technical manual. Also, the figure numbering system for the artwork goes haywire; the descriptions don't line up with what is depicted and seems to be one behind.
I'm actually interested in it but I might try to go find an original used copy.
I wonder if there is a good way to differentiate the reprinting from the original by looking at the cover.

The US first printing has the Pocket Books logo on the cover:
memory-alpha.fandom.com

Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual

The Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual is an in-depth description of the technology and equipment used aboard the USS Enterprise-D in Star Trek: The Next Generation. The book is written by longtime Star Trek production staffers Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda from an in-universe...

I read the shit out of this when I was a kid and borrowed it over and over again from the library. It's too bad they phoned in the reproduction, but I have to assuming there are HQ scans online somewhere.

I still have my DS9 Companion though:

It's still probably the best "behind the scenes" book I've read and I'm really surprised they haven't bothered to try to reprint this thing, particularly for any of the DS9 anniversaries.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
That was terrible. I thought this was supposed to be a comedy? Pretty brave of them to make a trailer for a comedy and forget to put any jokes in it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I laughed at the "nobody is dying a spear wound!" bit. I dunno, it seems okay to me. Though I'd have played the bridge crew a little bit straighter, going off what we saw of them here.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Watching the "Pleasure Planet" episode of TOS where a computer basically makes everyone's fantasies come true.

Turns out that Kirks biggest fantasy isn't to have a harem of beautiful women swooning at his feet, or to have a wife and family, or even to Captain a starship forever.

His biggest fantasy is to beat the shit out of a hyperactive Irish man.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the "Pleasure Planet" episode of TOS where a computer basically makes everyone's fantasies come true.

Turns out that Kirks biggest fantasy isn't to have a harem of beautiful women swooning at his feet, or to have a wife and family, or even to Captain a starship forever.

we all have our kinks

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kirk likes women, and he frequently has a lot of them swooning at his feet. Kirk doesn't want a wife or family tying him down, at least not at this point in his life (later in life he comes to regret this attitude). Kirk loves the Enterprise, and he has the Enterprise. These aren't fantasies for Kirk.

Kirk is a badass, and at one point when he was younger, a bully tormented him and really got under his skin. That's his fantasy. He wishes that the badass that he is today could somehow go back in time and stand up to the man who beat him.

Kirk wins so much that he has to look back to his childhood to find a defeat that he would want to flip to a victory.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Enterprise's ending is exactly what the series deserved.

Like, I dunno how anyone got so invested in the veracity of Enterprise to be bothered by the turn it takes at the end. It was always a series about pandering to the viewer, in one way or another.

Oct 25, 2017
Turnabout Intruder is worse. What's wrong with the DS9 ending?

That's just a bad episode though not really an 'ending' but if you want to count it sure I guess. For DS9, the whole Kai Winn/Dukat (ruining Dukat) thing which was just terrible and Sisko having to leave his family behind to go with aliens who could easily take him as long as they need to and return him to the same point in time in which he left, negating his having to leave his family for any extended amount of time. It's just dumb and dramatic for the sake of having a bitter sweet ending. While Voyagers ending felt rushed at least they got home and the episode itself was good. TNG obviously has the best one.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
That's just a bad episode though not really an 'ending' but if you want to count it sure I guess. For DS9, the whole Kai Winn/Dukat (ruining Dukat) thing which was just terrible and Sisko having to leave his family behind to go with aliens who could easily take him as long as they need to and return him to the same point in time in which he left, negating his having to leave his family for any extended amount of time. It's just dumb and dramatic for the sake of having a bitter sweet ending. While Voyagers ending felt rushed at least they got home and the episode itself was good. TNG obviously has the best one.

Brooks had them add in the line about Sisko coming back because he didn't like the image of a Black man abandoning his family and unborn child.
The Pai Wraiths stuff was garbage all along... whether or not they copied B5, it was just an inferior version of the Shadows vs the Vorlonns except they didn't really have an idea of where they were going. But even then, I suppose it makes sense that it comes down to Sisko and Dukat in the end as the representatives of each group of magical space aliens.

If you're not counting TOS, which really does have a clunker of a final episode even in terms of allegory, the Voyager finale is the worst of them all.

TNG = DS9 >>>>> ENT >>>>>>>>>>>>> BSG > The 4400 (let's face it, Outlander is probably going to be better than both) >>>>>>> VOY.

lol

Oct 25, 2017
DS9's finale is IMO the worst, by virtue of how if you hype stuff up and build a serialized story, if you fail at that arc it really hurts a lot more than a poor one-off episode (which "These Are the Voyages" mostly functions as, despite a big element at the end tying into the larger story.)

The Prophets stuff never made a ton of sense, even if you decide that the answer to the Prophets' nonsensical motives is just their nonlinearity. But the book of Kosst Amojan is the worst example of weird-ass space magic in perhaps the entire franchise, especially the assertion that somehow chucking the book in the first stopped the Pah-Wraiths. Where did the book come from in the first place? If it was somehow written, what's stopping the Pah-wraiths from possessing a guy and doing it again? And worse, if you apply the nonlinear stuff to make sense of stuff like Sisko's mom being a prophet, then it means that the Pah-Wraiths could pull all sorts of Skynet-level stuff to muck with time and prevent the events of the episode from happening.

Adding to that is the fact that it was a boring, dumb end for Dukat and Winn, who were genuinely some of the best antihero/villains of the franchise. It's just sad, and in retrospect demonstrates where Ron Moore was going with his even-more-terrible BSG ending.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The Prophets got progressively less interesting as DS9 pivoted from them being indifferent, almost incomprehensibly alien beings with almost no knowledge--let alone any understanding--of organics life, to actual gods shepherding a chosen people through life and smiting their enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Voyagers ending except I wish they removed the time travel aspect and just gave us 10 mins of them getting home and maybe a few years down the road kind of update.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Adding to that is the fact that it was a boring, dumb end for Dukat and Winn, who were genuinely some of the best antihero/villains of the franchise. It's just sad, and in retrospect demonstrates where Ron Moore was going with his even-more-terrible BSG ending.
Yes but it was a perfect ending for Winn, because she had a self-importance complex, and she died by being nearly accidentally backhanded by an entity which didn't really care she was even there....and like literally nobody noticed....perfect.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooks had them add in the line about Sisko coming back because he didn't like the image of a Black man abandoning his family and unborn child.
DS9 writers pitching their ideas for a DS9 reboot: "So how about this, 20 years later... Sisko returns."

Yeah, I'm sure Sisko's unborn child is going to appreciate that kind of parenting.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but it was a perfect ending for Winn, because she had a self-importance complex, and she died by being nearly accidentally backhanded by an entity which didn't really care she was even there....and like literally nobody noticed....perfect.
Yeah I like how Winn died - the self-important character that dies in the most banal way possible.
DS9 writers pitching their ideas for a DS9 reboot: "So how about this, 20 years later... Sisko returns."

Yeah, I'm sure Sisko's unborn child is going to appreciate that kind of parenting.
The problem is that without recasting, you're kind of stuck with dealing with aging. It's why the books don't really jump that far in time before bringing him back (as far as I know).

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that without recasting, you're kind of stuck with dealing with aging. It's why the books don't really jump that far in time before bringing him back (as far as I know).
The (nonexistent) reboot has to be set 20 years after DS9 (due to actors aging), but Sisko doesn't need to reappear exactly when the reboot starts. That sounds like the sort of thing that Avery Brooks tried to avoid (because it paints an unhelpful picture of black fathers abandoning their kids).

They could set up whatever story thing, and then say "We're gonna need to get Sisko in on this." And then they take a shuttle down to Bajor and find Sisko living happily with Kasidy. Make it a deliberate anti-climax swerve. Jake is off happily living his adult life. The unborn kid from the end of DS9 is 20 years old, and is a happy and well-adjusted person. Maybe give Sisko and Kasidy a third kid. Sisko wasn't gone for more than a week, and he didn't even miss his kid's birth.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The (nonexistent) reboot has to be set 20 years after DS9 (due to actors aging), but Sisko doesn't need to reappear exactly when the reboot starts. That sounds like the sort of thing that Avery Brooks tried to avoid (because it paints an unhelpful picture of black fathers abandoning their kids).

They could set up whatever story thing, and then say "We're gonna need to get Sisko in on this." And then they take a shuttle down to Bajor and find Sisko living happily with Kasidy. Make it a deliberate anti-climax swerve. Jake is off happily living his adult life. The unborn kid from the end of DS9 is 20 years old, and is a happy and well-adjusted person. Maybe give Sisko and Kasidy a third kid. Sisko wasn't gone for more than a week, and he didn't even miss his kid's birth.

I mean, could even use it remind people of how the Prophets experience time in a non-linear fashion. For Sisko, it was an eternity, and strictly speaking, he's still 'there' in the wormhole. Because he was already there ten thousand years from now. But he also left it twenty years ago.

Oct 25, 2017

I really don't see the benefit in a Star Trek: Sisko show, especially given the track record of Star Trek's creative team at present. Just leave some stuff to the imagination.

Jan 29, 2018
What you really want is Alex Kertzmanns Star Trek:Janeway

I mean, I'd watch it. Picard was good not great, but I enjoyed it.

Actually I think it'd be cool if they did more Short Treks to check in on different Star Trek characters. That way you wouldn't necessarily have to shoehorn them into a Picard story arc or some other show.

Give Denise Crosby a Sela Short Trek, is what I'm saying.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, could even use it remind people of how the Prophets experience time in a non-linear fashion. For Sisko, it was an eternity, and strictly speaking, he's still 'there' in the wormhole. Because he was already there ten thousand years from now. But he also left it twenty years ago.
Oh yeah, I suppose they could just show his return off screen entirely...

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'd watch it. Picard was good not great, but I enjoyed it.

Actually I think it'd be cool if they did more Short Treks to check in on different Star Trek characters. That way you wouldn't necessarily have to shoehorn them into a Picard story arc or some other show.

Give Denise Crosby a Sela Short Trek, is what I'm saying.
Nana Visitor in a Kira Nerys Short Trek. Hell, give us the Ro Laren meets Kira Nerys story that we never got. We can even get bonus Thomas Riker (assuming he escaped execution) action. Or they meet up to remember Thomas Riker.

Why did he have to go with them again? I forgot

Because Captain John Sheridan also disappeared mysteriously at the end of Bablyon 5.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if Q ever met Kirk. At the end of Q, Who, after Picard begs for his help, Q said that another man would have died rather than ask for help. I wonder if he was referring to Kirk.

Also, I really hate how Voyager retconned it so that the Federation knew about the Borg decades before Q sent the Enterprise to them.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Federation always knew they existed before Q, Who, since they were in contact with species that had survived them such as Guinan's. They just never had more to go on than descriptions.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The Federation always knew they existed before Q, Who, since they were in contact with species that had survived them such as Guinan's. They just never had more to go on than descriptions.
Had Guinan told them, though? Was never really clear on how much Picard and the Federation really knew about her.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Q ever met Kirk. At the end of Q, Who, after Picard begs for his help, Q said that another man would have died rather than ask for help. I wonder if he was referring to Kirk.

Also, I really hate how Voyager retconned it so that the Federation knew about the Borg decades before Q sent the Enterprise to them.

Eh, the genie was out of the bottle with First Contact by the time Voyager got to it, and as mentioned they had Guinan's people fleeing the Borg (and canonically had them doing it eighty years before contact) so I think Voyager establishing that the Borg were A Thing no one particularly knew much about and the Hansens being idiots and running off to investigate them is plausible enough.

Besides, Q deliberately sparking conflict between the Federation and the Borg doesn't seem like something Q would do. He's far more impish than malevolent most of the time.