• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So in the new Disco comic Afterman they have a klingon that looks like a TOS era klingon

unknown.png

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Kor, they can't change him or claim he one of these Klingons that looks different but we've just never seen before.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017

We're now welcoming @Chris_Villain to present the Best Streaming Science Fiction, Action & Fantasy Series. Our nominees: @blackmirror, @TheExpanseWR, @lostinspacetv, @GoodOmensPrime, @RussianDoll, @startrekcbs, @jackryanamazon

Congratulations to
@startrekcbs
for winning the Saturn Award for Best Streaming Science Fiction, Action & Fantasy Series. //
@cbsallaccess
#SaturnAwards

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Doug Jones also won Best Supporting Actor.

Discovery is up for one more award. Sonequa Martin-Green for Best Actress In A Streaming Series.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I dunno y'all. Season 2 felt incredibly uneven in tone and its only urgent goal seemed to be satisfy the legions of loudmouths on Reddit complaining about continuity. While individual pieces of the show felt good this season I don't the completed offering in anyway exceeded The Expanse. Hoping being 1000 in the future will free them of some canonical expectations.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno y'all. Season 2 felt incredibly uneven in tone and its only urgent goal seemed to be satisfy the legions of loudmouths on Reddit complaining about continuity. While individual pieces of the show felt good this season I don't the completed offering in anyway exceeded The Expanse. Hoping being 1000 in the future will free them of some canonical expectations.
Well there is basically zero canon written that far ahead so they have a blank slate to writer whatever they want

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the 32nd Century goes well past just about anything we've seen.

The only notable event I was able to find on Memory Alpha was that the 32nd Century is when the backup EMH from Voyager's "Living Witness" would have begun his own journey back to the Alpha Quadrant.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Hope they avoid leaning into something like Andromeda or the undeveloped Federation. A sci-fi show lamenting about 'the good old days' would be pretty tone deaf and shitty these days. I don't think they will but there is a little fear in the back of my head.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be honest there were a few too many similarities in that game.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I thought so too. There was probably something to it being an inspiration.
No, there wasn't. There are no similarities outside of some generic stuff but even if there were more the game didn't inspire Discovery in any way, shape of form, the timelines don't match. By the time that guy released pictures from his game Discovery was already deep in production.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The lawsuit failed because no copyright was infringed, you cannot copyright ideas only execution of ideas, so anyone is free to create something featuring giant tardigrades that let people travel through space. It doesn't mean things were not copied. It's like if you want to write a story about space wizards with laser swords fighting an evil space empire, everyone will know what inspired it but you're fine to do so as long as you don't decide to call the dark wizard Vader.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they explain why the Enterprise was damaged when it went to investigate the first signal?
Nope. "Enterprise is damaged" was just the excuse they used to have Pike Captain the Discovery. They didn't explain it because it had no further use beyond moving Pike.
i thought they alluded to the tech on board causing problems. In my mind that issue was caused by Control making sure that it put the ship out of commission and ensured that Pike's search for Spock would be successful. It was playing chess with the bodies it needed to hunt down Spock.
When they ripped out the holotech I guess that was enough for them to avoid more issues. All head canon obviously

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
i thought they alluded to the tech on board causing problems. In my mind that issue was caused by Control making sure that it put the ship out of commission and ensured that Pike's search for Spock would be successful. It was playing chess with the bodies it needed to hunt down Spock.
When they ripped out the holotech I guess that was enough for them to avoid more issues. All head canon obviously

It was the holographic communications system that was the issue.

Basically a throw away to explain why TOS didn't have them and probably why Star Fleet abandoned them until the 24th century.

Oct 25, 2017
https://screenrant.com/star-trek-di...ilObqXiXIoBl067Pke-5w6ant2z9lFOn5EWfoXonwCou4

Wonder how they'll spin this

According to Parrot Analytics, a data analytics firm who measure demand for TV shows across the globe, Star Trek: Discovery season 2 was a measurable hit. Between April 6 and May 5 - the season 2 finale, "Such Sweet Sorrow", released on April 18 - Star Trek: Discovery was the most in-demand digital original series worldwide. Further, it was the #2 science-fiction series worldwide, narrowly beaten by The 100.

1. Star Trek: Discovery
  2. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
  3. Cobra Kai
  4. The Grand Tour
  5. Doom Patrol
  6. Narcos
  7. Stranger Things
  8. The Umbrella Academy
  9. The Handmaid's Tale
  10. The Act

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly thought the thread bump would be related to news of Walter Mosley quitting Discovery after CBS HR reprimanded him for repeating a police officer's use of the N word while telling an anecdote (Mosley is black).

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
According to my sources, Disovery has done so poorly that CBS is not going to renew it for a seventh season.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it listed as number 1 when directly before it states The 100 is ahead of it in science fiction alone?
Discovery is number one streaming Sci-fi show and number 2 sci-fi show overall streaming/tv/cable combined.

The 100 probably is number 1 in demand overall probably because it is available on tv/free in most regions.