• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
What a great finale I can't wait for Season 3 now! Although I have to say that one scene was unnecessarily dumb.

Admiral Cornwell had no right to die. Even if the transporters couldn't beam her out because of torpedo-radiation or whatever, they could have send one of these hull-repair droids to pull the lever, like what the hell o.o

I'll be honest, I was not watching the episode very carefully. However, can someone tell me how a single blast door prevented Pike from being vapourised by the 65 megaton explosion in the next room? And how did a photon torpedo pierce the shields in the first place? And if it were that effective, why did the Section 31 ships only fire a single torpedo? So many questions.

Edit: Also, the battle had a really odd sense of pacing for Star Trek. It almost felt like an attempt to replicate a Battlestar encounter - with the broadsides and protracted dogfighting.

Last edited:

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
S2e14 was great, when she run to space and fly, then her warps, the feelings it gave, it was gorgeous.
Can I have this episode in cinema ?

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I was not watching the episode very carefully. However, can someone tell me how a single blast door prevented Pike from being vapourised by the 65 megaton explosion in the next room? And how did a photon torpedo pierce the shields in the first place? And if it were that effective, why did the Section 31 ships only fire a single torpedo? So many questions.
So, i guess its demolitions lesson time.

For all of you wondering how Pike survived. it's simple and actually correct from a physics perspective. An explosion in an enclosed space would send it's pressure omni-directionally but... since there was a big hole on one side of that enclosed area the majority of the pressure would vent to and through that area. This is the theory behnd how both underwater demolitions and shaped charges work.

Class dismissed.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
they have the technology for droids but the door had to be shut manually by a person??
this must be dumbest death of a character in a while

other than this it was a very good and entertaining episode an it felt more like a enterprise show at the end (which is my hope for the future)

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Also, the battle had a really odd sense of pacing for Star Trek. It almost felt like an attempt to replicate a Battlestar encounter - with the broadsides and protracted dogfighting.

Well the torpedo getting through the shields as a dud I can buy because we have seen a few times before in Trek history that shields aren't perfect under heavy fire so the torpedo might have gotten lucky and entered in a moment where the shield-system was wavy. About Pike and the door, it could be scientifically plausible. I don't know if I read it here or on Reddit first but someone mentioned since the only thing that separated the torpedo from the vacuum of space were the emergency force-fields that obviously failed the moment the detonation took place most of the explosive force got sucked into the opposite direction into space.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Reading that BTS piece, I didn't even consider that the hallway fight would be a rotating set. Also some nice pictures of the other sets in there.

Oct 25, 2017
So you think season 3 might be Star Trek: Andromeda?

Sure some hints have already been given about that time period in the past but star trek has a habit of ignoring possible futures because no writer wants to have to tip toe around all that.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Reading that BTS piece, I didn't even consider that the hallway fight would be a rotating set. Also some nice pictures of the other sets in there.
I immediately thought of Inception and it's rotating set. There was a time when that was considered a big set piece in a film (partly because it was replicating 2001s rotating space ship rig) and now we're at a point where it's being done on tv shows!

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
So you think season 3 is going to be Star Trek: Andromeda?

Sure some hints have already been given about that time period in the past but star trek has a habit of ignoring possible futures because no writer wants to have to tip toe around all that.

I've already suggested that theory myself, given the weird framing of the V'Draysh from Calypso. Given how much Andromeda was rooted in basically being a dark What If? for Star Trek, it seems weirdly plausible to have a ship from the Federation's 'golden age' as such turn up to set it right. It would also fit into an extension of the show's themes around what the value of the Federation is, the price one should be willing to pay to protect it, etc. And given current political events - something the showmakers have actively expressed they're tapping into - a nominal democracy facing a crisis of identity, if not outright slipping into authoritarianism, would not be... Out of place.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Some of the visuals in the last episode were beautiful, the highlight being of course Burnham's flight and then the time travel.

Very beautiful.

The show is dumb as hell tho... I mean time travel sure but remotely triggering a lever is apparently beyond their capabilities...

The Leewit

Oct 27, 2017
A brilliant ending to a wonderful two-part story. The first episode of "Such Sweet Sorrow" celebrates poignant goodbyes and farewells, and the second and final episode of "Such Sweet Sorrow" amps up the action and tension. I've enjoyed the final endearing scene between Michael and her younger brother Spock.

The show ending with Enterprise warping away contrasts with the season's beginning of the first episode revealing the surprising appearance of the Enterprise. Thus ends the tale of Discovery's fateful encounter with the starship Enterprise, and the rest is history

I'm ready for whatever future faces Discovery, Michael, and crew.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't seem that way to me. Disco and Enterprise were absolute tanks in this episode. Taking punishment that would kill a Battlestar.

Yeah, this feels like the best showing the original Enterprise has ever received - you get a sense of why the Federation was confident enough to send her alone on five year missions. Unless she starts encountering some truly absurd shit, or she's over a decade out of date (as she will be by Kirk's era), the big E is a one ship fleet.

Feels telling what the rest of the build quality in Starfleet must be like though.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So a few thoughts after watching the last episode,

• Over 180 shuttles/pods? Fuck off with that bullshit. If they'd had a dozen starships, maybe, just maybe they could swing that many, but with just the Discovery and Enterprise? Unless virtually the entirity of their secondary hulls were given over to shuttle storage then there's no way they could store that many. This is Shonen Anime levels of ass pull writing where they wanted to do big thing but had no idea how to do big thing, so they just went "Fuck it" and did the big thing anyway.
  • The hand waving of "Ok so we just make everyone promise to never talk about Discovery, the Spore Drive, Section 31 and Control" is just....ugh. I guess it's about the best they could do after finally realising they made some serious mis-steps canon wise with these 2 seasons, but it still would've been better to have not made those mistakes in the first place.
  • The whole Time Suit thing is still stupid, the final episode did nothing to change that. Hopefully it gets destroyed in Season 3 and then never brought up again.

And a bit of a wish list for Season 3,
  • Stop making Michael the center of the Universe. For 2 seasons literally everything has revolved around her, it's time to move on.
  • Move back towards less over-arching plot that lasts an entire season and move back towards more standalone episodes. Even when DS9 had the Dominion War going on it found time for making it a background even while having episodes that stood well on their own individual merits. Enterprise even managed it during Season 3 (In an arc that really should've been tied up in half a season at most really) so there's no reason Discovery can't do the same if they absolutely have to have some huge plot going on.
  • Settle on a cast. Whilst Pike was definitely great, I'd like to see them actually settle on a core cast and stick with them for a while.
  • Never ever ever bring back Po. I don't quite know why but I just can't stand her.

I'm coming across as more negative than I want to really, overall I am enjoying the show, it just seems it's suffering the curse of the first few seasons of a Trek show being pretty weak. Normally they perk up to standard by Season 3 (Though DS9 took until Season 4) so hopefully that'll be the case here.

So far though, this is definitely the weakest Trek show.

Oct 25, 2017
I've already suggested that theory myself, given the weird framing of the V'Draysh from Calypso. Given how much Andromeda was rooted in basically being a dark What If? for Star Trek, it seems weirdly plausible to have a ship from the Federation's 'golden age' as such turn up to set it right. It would also fit into an extension of the show's themes around what the value of the Federation is, the price one should be willing to pay to protect it, etc. And given current political events - something the showmakers have actively expressed they're tapping into - a nominal democracy facing a crisis of identity, if not outright slipping into authoritarianism, would not be... Out of place.
Yes it certainly fits the themes that DSC has been playing with.

It's a little depressing as a premise but I think maybe I could be into it. It would just be hard for me to accept that the federation lineage of Kirk/Picard eventually ended in failure and that it took someone from before their time to revive it. But there are less pessimistic ways of interpreting that. It's a neat concept, I always liked Andromeda's premise.

Also I'm kinda hesitant to make Michael Burnham yet again the god savior of all time and space and the federation twice over. It's getting ridiculous. Please stop.
In fact now that this comes to mind, I take it back. I'm not into Star Trek Andromeda anymore. I talked myself out of it.

Last edited:

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
The finale was clearly setting up Pike-Enterprise, which is what everyone wanted anyway. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if all the news about the "Section 31 series" was just a ruse to keep Pike-Enterprise under wraps.

I'm wondering that too. Section 31 = undercover organisation. Section 31 series = undercover series?

That ending was so much of a tease that it gives me hope.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest concern was the reset button and I'm glad it wasn't pushed. I should have had more faith in the writers but I was concerned and I'm happy to have worried for nothing. That Spock and Michael's relationship was kept intact is something I'm really happy about. Same for all the events, designs, aliens, etc in season 1 and 2. If the fate of Discovery and it's crew had to be classified and reported as KIA address why they're not mentioned in other shows or films then so be it. Those involved know the truth. We know the truth. Starfleet know's the truth. Spock was heavily influenced by Michael as a child and as an adult and that can not be taken away! Since he and Sarek melded with Picard as I saw mentioned her that means there is a huge chance he knows about Michael and the Discovery crew as well. Nothing would stop their fate from being reviled in a future show going forward as well.

It does indeed fit with the themes that are in play with the show since episode 1 of season 1. It would be nice to see a whole new era where the mission statement changes from defend to rebuild/restore. However if they go in that direction that potentially puts the Picard show in a position to show or eventually show the Federation's decline or the seeds of it. How people react to that would be the question. I find that would be just as interesting to see. Powers rise and fall all the time. The idea that the Federation couldn't and then come back to it's glorious self is something I've never agreed with.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be weird to see Discovery go from a show with a bunch of TOS easter eggs and even recurring characters to basically charting completely new canon with every episode.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So you think season 3 might be Star Trek: Andromeda?

Given that we know the Federation and Starfleet are absolutely fine in the 31st Century it would have to be one hell of a U-turn in the space of a hundred years with Discovery arriving in the 32nd century. I can't see how the entire Federation, likely spanning most, if not all, of the Milky Way by that point (If not other galaxies) could go to shit that quickly.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it certainly fits the themes that DSC has been playing with.

It's a little depressing as a premise but I think maybe I could be into it. It would just be hard for me to accept that the federation lineage of Kirk/Picard eventually ended in failure and that it took someone from before their time to revive it. But there are less pessimistic ways of interpreting that.

Also I'm kinda hesitant to make Michael Burnham yet again the god savior of all time and space and the federation twice over. It's getting ridiculous.

On that, I agree. The more ideal scenario would be to position such to either the overall crew, or even maybe Saru. Yes, Michael is the vehicle for their presence, but that could be entirely incidental to the actual matter of 'redeeming' the Federation. Like, Saru is the one who got the big old 'We are Starfleet' speech last season. Why not lean into that? It would even decentralise from the usual homo sapiens bias.

Oct 25, 2017

• Over 180 shuttles/pods? Fuck off with that bullshit. If they'd had a dozen starships, maybe, just maybe they could swing that many, but with just the Discovery and Enterprise? Unless virtually the entirity of their secondary hulls were given over to shuttle storage then there's no way they could store that many. This is Shonen Anime levels of ass pull writing where they wanted to do big thing but had no idea how to do big thing, so they just went "Fuck it" and did the big thing anyway.
  • The hand waving of "Ok so we just make everyone promise to never talk about Discovery, the Spore Drive, Section 31 and Control" is just....ugh. I guess it's about the best they could do after finally realising they made some serious mis-steps canon wise with these 2 seasons, but it still would've been better to have not made those mistakes in the first place.
  • The whole Time Suit thing is still stupid, the final episode did nothing to change that. Hopefully it gets destroyed in Season 3 and then never brought up again.

• Stop making Michael the center of the Universe. For 2 seasons literally everything has revolved around her, it's time to move on.
  • Move back towards less over-arching plot that lasts an entire season and move back towards more standalone episodes. Even when DS9 had the Dominion War going on it found time for making it a background even while having episodes that stood well on their own individual merits. Enterprise even managed it during Season 3 (In an arc that really should've been tied up in half a season at most really) so there's no reason Discovery can't do the same if they absolutely have to have some huge plot going on.
  • Settle on a cast. Whilst Pike was definitely great, I'd like to see them actually settle on a core cast and stick with them for a while.
  • Never ever ever bring back Po. I don't quite know why but I just can't stand her.

I'm coming across as more negative than I want to really, overall I am enjoying the show, it just seems it's suffering the curse of the first few seasons of a Trek show being pretty weak. Normally they perk up to standard by Season 3 (Though DS9 took until Season 4) so hopefully that'll be the case here.

Regarding your points for DS9/ENT remember that one season of those equals roughly two seasons of Disco, so it's like we had the Klingon war, the MU and Control for a season of DS9/ENT. I do want more standalone episodes though.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Stop making Michael the center of the Universe. For 2 seasons literally everything has revolved around her, it's time to move on.
Not happening. She's still the lead of the show. Accept it. I wonder if people still be complaining about this going into season 5. I think season 2 has shown you can have a lot of focus on other characters while still keeping her the lead and main story focus. Her being the lead is not coming at the expense of others based on what I'm watching. We got a LOT of the other characters, so much Pike that people want a show focused on him now.

The season long stories are here to stay. The Picard show is going to be that as well based on what has been said by Stewart and others have already said. I expect it with season 3 of Discovery. I expect it with the Section 31 show if that is still a thing and wasn't a swerve . We're not going back to pure episodic shows. Maybe the animated shows will be that but not the live action shows.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
All I really need from season 3 is for Tilly to become a real person again. I really liked her in season 1, but now she's LIKE SO AWKWARD OMG DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD OMG WHY AM I STILL TALKING OUT LOUD OMG.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017

Can you please explain your Michael hate? She's the lead of the show. She's here to stay, hopefully.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Some info on S3.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...y-season-2-finale-time-jump-explained-1203166

Discovery season two ends with the ship disappearing into the future. Is it safe to assume that season three will follow the ship away from the present timeline?

Yes. We are jumping 950 years into the future for season three.
-----
That's the same thought process that went into jumping 950 years into the future. We're now completely free of canon, and we have a whole new universe to explore.

Speaking of Section 31, Control seems to be neutralized in the finale, but Discovery is technically taking it into the future with them. Is there a chance it could resurrect in season three?

All I can tell you is that Control is officially neutralized, but there will be much bigger problems when they get to the other side of that wormhole.

Star Trek: Discovery has gone through a few captains so far, most recently in Doug Jones' Commander Saru. Will there be more power shifts come next season?

We will definitely be exploring who inherits that chair. Obviously, there's a very loaded look between Saru and Burnham. They're both qualified in very different ways, and that's something we'll explore.

My own thoughts of this:
1. I think they initially go 950 years into the future, but they jump to a new location closer in time to the end of the TNG/DS9/Voy timeline, like 100-200 years after.

2. The "bigger" problems will not be anything canon, just new stuff they will create for Disco to encounter as they Voyager through space.

3. I did not like Saru as Captain. He's a fine #1. I don't think Burnham becomes Captain immediately, but will be by the end of S3. I think given her experiences and maturity, she will be a great Captain.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Given that we know the Federation and Starfleet are absolutely fine in the 31st Century it would have to be one hell of a U-turn in the space of a hundred years with Discovery arriving in the 32nd century. I can't see how the entire Federation, likely spanning most, if not all, of the Milky Way by that point (If not other galaxies) could go to shit that quickly.

Well, Discovery is nominally set to emerge in the 3180s, while the most recent reference per Memory Alpha is sometime around 3052 - so 130 odd years for shit to go bad if following the 'show turns into Andromeda' theory. And thing is, this isn't necessarily going to shit in the sense of fracturing into various pieces like admittedly is the way it happened on Andromeda, but potentially like, just somehow not being what it used to be. A change in values or whatever. We don't really know what the wider situation and context of the Federation in Daniels' native time period really is; for all we know things were being set in motion then which reached a nadir by the next century.

Otherwise, wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
While I liked the inclusion of Spock here, going through the ToS now - he's like a totally different character in the two shows. He seems to have regressed immensely in embracing his human side in ToS.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some info on S3.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...y-season-2-finale-time-jump-explained-1203166

Discovery season two ends with the ship disappearing into the future. Is it safe to assume that season three will follow the ship away from the present timeline?

Yes. We are jumping 950 years into the future for season three.
-----
That's the same thought process that went into jumping 950 years into the future. We're now completely free of canon, and we have a whole new universe to explore.

Speaking of Section 31, Control seems to be neutralized in the finale, but Discovery is technically taking it into the future with them. Is there a chance it could resurrect in season three?

All I can tell you is that Control is officially neutralized, but there will be much bigger problems when they get to the other side of that wormhole.

Star Trek: Discovery has gone through a few captains so far, most recently in Doug Jones' Commander Saru. Will there be more power shifts come next season?

We will definitely be exploring who inherits that chair. Obviously, there's a very loaded look between Saru and Burnham. They're both qualified in very different ways, and that's something we'll explore.

My own thoughts of this:
1. I think they initially go 950 years into the future, but they jump to a new location closer in time to the end of the TNG/DS9/Voy timeline, like 100-200 years after.

2. The "bigger" problems will not be anything canon, just new stuff they will create for Disco to encounter as they Voyager through space.

3. I did not like Saru as Captain. He's a fine #1. I don't think Burnham is Captain immediately, but will be by the end of S3.
I expect S3's captain to be a new character, someone from the future either from a faction that takes over the ship or assigned from the Federation of that time (if it still exists then) to make the crew accustomed to the new era.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine an issue they have to deal with is the time police, they probably won't be too happy for a federation ship jumping time 1000 years. But I hate the time stuff in general so if the more they ignore that time stuff from ENT, the better.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do wonder see how exactly that would work. Her mom's in a future where the AI won. The future Michael goes to is presumably where it didn't. They wouldn't exist in the same timeline.

If we're going by back to the future logic, the future would be re-written around her.. but, as evidenced by the sheer existence of JJ-verse, star trek plays by different rules.

Who knows.

All I hope for is a Q appearance in the picard show.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate her, I just don't want her to basically be a Star Trek version of Goku who's always the saviour and everyone else is just there to occasionally help out.

This I understand, but I think Season 2 has done a really good job of spreading out the character focus. We got so much Pike I started to wonder if dude was going to stick around or if this season was just a springboard for an Enterprise spinoff. My hope is that they continue to widen the focus and hopefully we get more from the rest of the crew. Owo needs some shine.

She was great in this episode. I love 'getting shit done' Sonequa and 'this is the most wonderful, terrifying thing in the universe' Sonequa.
Yooo! She was sooo gooood in this episode! The entire wormhole sequence was like Michael emoting greatest hits edition.