• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome episode. Enterprise is going to show up next episode or the last to save the day.

And yeah this is about the Borg

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
They should use the time crystal to insert Tilly into every other Trek show then re-release all the shows with her edited in.
1034182.jpg

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What a fantastic episode. Pike is an even more tragic figure now that
he knows his fate.

Tig Notaro, ship's counselor.

Peck is Spock now. Even Quinto was just playing Spock

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I relalized that there's still 3 signals to deal with and I doubt that aspect will be resolved in 2 episodes

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit this was a great episode.
Love Tig Notaro's character, I hope she becomes a mainstay rather than a recurring one. Spock being snarky without mouthing off is great (Michael's "UGH" when they board the shuttle cracked me up). And I agree with the sentiment that Peck's Spock is awesome, that was great casting.

My favourite bit tho was the
flashforward of Pike's fate. Man. That scene gave me the goosebumps. I was all "are they doing this? Are they really giving is a throwback to TOS?". That was such a cool scene.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I just really think Mount is doing an awesome job with Pike. I was basically ready to Lorca stan and Pike is that good.

(Lorca was a much better asshole than Leland, though)

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Good episode. The Michael/Spock story didn't much make sense but it was well done. They succeeded in making Pike's choice brave, sympathetic and horrifying but I'm not sure how I feel about his fate being linked to his choice rather than just being an accident. It's too cruel either way :(

Oct 25, 2017
Good episode. The Michael/Spock story didn't much make sense but it was well done. They succeeded in making Pike's choice brave, sympathetic and horrifying but I'm not sure how I feel about his fate being linked to his choice rather than just being an accident. It's too cruel either way :(
I think they are setting it up so it makes sense why Spock risks death to get Pike to Talos IV

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible that Michael could still be a time traveler? They keep hinting that someone else is triggering the signals and that they're still related to Michael.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Huh, so last week I was complaining that they weren't thinking of just blowing up Discovery to destroy the data, and well... I was just early.

Also, I take it that Pike's future is a reference to an episode in TOS? I haven't seen much of that.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, so last week I was complaining that they weren't thinking of just blowing up Discovery to destroy the data, and well... I was just early.

Also, I take it that Pike's future is a reference to an episode in TOS? I haven't seen much of that.

Yes it is, episode is called 'the menagerie'

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Michael: we have to Destroy Discovery!
Pike: What are you, stupid? Stamets, jump us to the Delta quadrant while we figure something else out!

Nitpicking aside I really liked that episode. Especially the Pike/time crystal stuff

Luvlaskan

Oct 31, 2017
I was super confused for a moment during Pikes flashforward because I got the TOS pilot and the menagerie mixed up. So the TOS pilot has happened in current Discovery timeline but the menagerie has yet to happen? It's been a while since I last saw TOS.

Oct 25, 2017
I was super confused for a moment during Pikes flashforward because I got the TOS pilot and the menagerie mixed up. So the TOS pilot has happened in current Discovery timeline but the menagerie has yet to happen? It's been a while since I last saw TOS.
Yea the Cage (TOS pilot) happened about 3 years before Discos current time and the Menagerie is about 9 years away.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll post this is spoilers since it just released this morning internationally, it's just a BTS photo from Pikes big reveal yesterday.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the continuous beam would have been more effective
hqdefault.jpg

Cant hate on akimbo though!

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if Disco was pre "The Cage" then maybe Pike learning his faith would explain why he became a depressing drunk in that episode.

Muzzymate

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Michael: we have to Destroy Discovery!
Pike: What are you, stupid? Stamets, jump us to the Delta quadrant while we figure something else out!

Nitpicking aside I really liked that episode. Especially the Pike/time crystal stuff

That leap Burnham had to blow up the damn ship took me out of the moment too. We know they got the jump drive working again because we see them jumping to the Klingon planet.

Also, Pike: "We'll jump until we can figure out how to power the crystal."

Burnham: "We don't have the tools. They'll keep following us. We don't have the time to figure out alternatives."... except they already figured out they could jump in time when they came back from the Mirror Universe months later.

So if a Section 31 ship gets within 100 light years, jump the ship to somewhere they are not. "We will be able to materialize anywhere in the known universe. That's how you beat the Klingons. Control."

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.

Pike is just....damn that resolve, he's amazing.

That shot of that ship powering up and going to warp looked great.

That voice effect was glorious. So sinister. Goddamn that was tense and just escalated from there.

Damn, what a spot to end for the week.

Yeah, the Michael and Spock stuff is really fantastic, and Pike is so fucking good.

Can't wait to see the spoiler in action!

Stamets and Culber have the most unexpected matchmakers lol. First Georgiou and now her. The scene in the mess hall with her was good too, glad they made it seem like she'd been interacting with the crew even if we sadly haven't seen her in a while.
I think Reno is Stamets C/Oin engineering but it's more that we see the junior officers highlighted. He's Ro to Reno's Riker.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I'm really disappointed in this show. It's visually gorgeous (though the obsession with rotating shots is... odd), but the writing is getting under my skin. It's so basic and unintelligent, and when it tries to be intelligent it's just clichéd and dumbed down. Burnam's character is the most annoyingly written, which is super awkward when she's the lead of the show - which a shame because the cast are mostly great actors, let down by frequently illogical and poor scripts, hidden behind amazing visuals.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm really disappointed in this show. It's visually gorgeous (though the obsession with rotating shots is... odd), but the writing is getting under my skin. It's so basic and unintelligent, and when it tries to be intelligent it's just clichéd and dumbed down. Burnam's character is the most annoyingly written, which is super awkward when she's the lead of the show - which a shame because the cast are mostly great actors, let down by frequently illogical and poor scripts, hidden behind amazing visuals.

Yep, nothing ever makes sense beyond the most surface level tropes. It keeps raising the stakes by throwing stuff against the wall (Magic Asteroid! Omniscient Sphere! Mycelial Network Collapse! Resurrection! Extinction of all Sentient Life! Time Crystals!) but it never takes the time to expand upon it.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I've been going back and forth on Discovery. It's definitely an improvement over season 1, but I'm not 100% sold.

That being said, Pike is a bastion of Star Trekiness in this show, and I love everything with him.

Miscend

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last three episodes have been bad imo. Whoever thought of the time crystal nonsense? It doesn't fit in with the Trek mythos. I know time crystals exist in real life but the way they're written into the plot here is straight fantasy not sci-fi. The fact that Klingons had hidden all along doesn't make sense either. And the way Captain Pike has been nerfed in this portrayal is truly shocking. Such a great character not being utilised very well. And this is the worst version of Spock, I don't think the writers know what Spock means to Star Trek.

I agree with some of this guys points:
https://youtu.be/kljI4PuTKA0

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
The last three episodes have been bad imo. Whoever thought of the time crystal nonsense? It doesn't fit in with the Trek mythos. I know time crystals exist in real life but the way they're written into the plot here is straight fantasy not sci-fi. The fact that Klingons had hidden all along doesn't make sense either. And the way Captain Pike has been nerfed in this portrayal is truly shocking. Such a great character not being utilised very well. And this is the worst version of Spock, I don't think the writers know what Spock means to Star Trek.

Yeah so this is the description on one of that guy's videos about Doctor Who, titled "Doctor Who Used to Be For Everyone | Latest Franchise Sacrificed to A Cause"..
This is a video I should have made a long time ago. Doctor Who no longer is a show for everyone. Alex Kingston and Peter Davidson both spoke out about their reservations of the 1st female doctor. Both backtracked of course or they would find themselves sacrificed to the intolerant politically correct crowd. This video simply states it is okay to be critical of the female Doctor for whatever reason. What one thinks of the gender of a main character of a fictional TV show doesn't define you. This show has sacrificed a large portion of its audience to the Gods of the cause.

Not a particularly good look or someone you should really be promoting.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry what? There was barely any Pike before this portrayal, he had one single episode. As for the time crystals it's no more fantasy than any of the 100s of other fantastical stuff Star Fleet has encountered. Some of you need a rewatch.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going back and forth on Discovery. It's definitely an improvement over season 1, but I'm not 100% sold.

That being said, Pike is a bastion of Star Trekiness in this show, and I love everything with him.

I do like Pike, and I don't want to be that atheist guy but I'm not a fan of him being religious. Trek is hardly non-religious and often leans into it incidentally with some turns of phrase but I appreciated that humanity is explicitly atheist in future. I can't think of too many popular shows like that.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call him nerfed (or even he was I don't think it's a bad thing) but Pike's characterization in The Cage is very different than in Discovery. He's a lot more ruthless in The Cage. I prefer the new Pike tbh.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
How many times will we have to say that Time Crystals are a real theory?

Why Do Star Trek fans accept magic Crystals that let you travel faster than light. But magic Crystals that let your time travel is an issue

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I can't remember if it was someone on here who mentioned it but I do like the idea that you can kind of tie in the time crystal stuff with the Klingon Janeway deals with at the end of Voyager.

Also, Worf spent some time on Borath in the future.