• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Great episode.

Could the Red Angel be one of those people that took Captain Archer into the future? (It was Captain Archer wasn't it ?)

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Do you want the truth ?
s-l300.jpg

That's why Spock never spoke of Michel in ToS -- she died the night she ran away
wow !!!
So simple and yet so possible

Isn't this supposed to be the original universe?
I was talking about the ammount of retcon

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Great episode.

All the control stuff ya'll talking about means nothing to me having never read any of the books.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the Red Angel's actions created a new timeline. That's why Spock never spoke of Michel in ToS -- she died the night she ran away.

If it created a new timeline then this wouldn't be a Prime timeline show, and much to some people annoyance, it is. Unless of course you're suggesting that by the end of Disco, the timeline will be fixed by Michael getting eaten alive because the Red Angel never goes to Spock, thereby making the entire series one of those "it happened but didn't really happen" episodes.

Spock didn't mention her because she was an (understandable) dick and "you didn't ask". He didn't mention Sybok because nobody mentions Sybok because if you don't say his name its easy to pretend he doesn't exist. Hell he wasn't apparently banished until after his mother died and he's been a no show in Disco either and she's still alive and playing the diplomatic immunity card.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
That was a sick burn and he felt it lol
I loved that line and his reaction sooo much lmao.
They did an awesome job with their interactions and the flashbacks catching us up with Spock and the reveal of what happened. It's not easy to satisfy after all that time on buildup and I thought that scene showing what happened was surprisingly great. And I really can't wait to see more of Pike and Spock together, I really enjoyed their brief reunion at the end of the ep.

The tension was damned good for that Culber and Tyler scene and the fight. And I loved Pike and Saru working through stuff and coming onto the spy and saboteur plot thread.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
we can safely expect that we're going to get the big moment of how the new Culber doesn't love Stamets anymore, which will be rather heartbreaking.

Oh for sure. It's basically written everywhere. He's Culber but not Culber. Like waking from a coma with no memory of your family and being told that you love them. He doesn't. I'm sure he will by the end of it all, but for now its going to be a gut punch when he tells Stamets that he doesn't.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is it's not really him right? That he is just made up of Stamets' memories and knowledge, not actually his own experiences. Hence nothing feeling quite real or right.

Nov 8, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
If it created a new timeline then this wouldn't be a Prime timeline show, and much to some people annoyance, it is. Unless of course you're suggesting that by the end of Disco, the timeline will be fixed by Michael getting eaten alive because the Red Angel never goes to Spock, thereby making the entire series one of those "it happened but didn't really happen" episodes.

Spock didn't mention her because she was an (understandable) dick and "you didn't ask". He didn't mention Sybok because nobody mentions Sybok because if you don't say his name its easy to pretend he doesn't exist. Hell he wasn't apparently banished until after his mother died and he's been a no show in Disco either and she's still alive and playing the diplomatic immunity card.
Whose mother? Sybok's own mother? Ya do know Sybok and Spock have different mothers, right?

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

To be fair it's only really been since Star Trek 11 that people even care about that. The Prime timeline changes all the time to the point where it's already split out many times into alternate realities. Gabriel Bell dying in DS9 so Sisko taking his place now makes it an alternate reality. First Contact with the Borg attacking Earth, having Riker and LaForge on the Phoenix is another alternate reality etc etc.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
The issue is it's not really him right? That he is just made up of Stamets' memories and knowledge, not actually his own experiences. Hence nothing feeling quite real or right.

Whoa, I think you're right. I just guessed that it's one thing to have the memories of your life, it's another to actually have the body to prove it, the muscle memory of it all.

That's an interesting theory.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair it's only really been since Star Trek 11 that people even care about that. The Prime timeline changes all the time to the point where it's already split out many times into alternate realities. Gabriel Bell dying in DS9 so Sisko taking his place now makes it an alternate reality. First Contact with the Borg attacking Earth, having Riker and LaForge on the Phoenix is another alternate reality etc etc.

Or that whole Enterprise C-Tasha Ray-Sela thing. Or whenever Q messed with things. The entire 14 days they were stuck in a time loop and when Kelsey Grammer's ship was rescued from it.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
So, in some Post DS9 novels, Control is the secretive sub-persona of Uraei, a threat analysis program that evolved into basically the unseen God Emperor of the Federation, having decided that the only way to defend against shenanigans like the Xindi attack was control everything. It's in all their tech and is responsible for everything from making sure your replicator gets your coffee right to manipulating people to break the law and genetically engineer a child that will be of use in like, three or for decades, all according to plan. Section 31 basically acts at Uraei's discretion, where Uraei let's everyone else think they have a semblance of free will.
That was one of the most idiotic stories ever written for Star Trek-

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
They could always circle back to the Red Angel at the end of the series and prevent it from saving Michael as a child.

As for the Red Angel's identity... it somehow witnesses the destruction of the universe and survives with time travel tech. I'm thinking the ship AI from Calypso in human form or Mycelial Lorca.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
My original thought was it would be Michael and tie in with the short Trek in the future but if Michael originally died on Vulcan then she shouldn't have been around in the future to go back and save herself.

I'd love it to be someone completely out of left field that we already know like Seven of Nine coming back to make these changes because the Borg finally won.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Got a chance to watch it tonight, and I can say this is one of the episodes, or maybe the first, that made me feel elated with the show. Really loved some parts of it, even The Cage reference. I didn't find it cheesy, although perhaps that was because I saw some of your reactions and lowered my expectations or wasn't caught off guard by it. And overall I really liked the episode.

Not even the usual suspects brought it down for me, like Michael's bad drama or any of the Voq nonsense. Zombie Culber was also good, as they explained further what was getting him down.

I'm worried the Red Angel plot might get screwed up, but I'm still willing to go along with it, for now. But time travel plots are always iffy.

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda enjoy that the further we get the less accurate the original predictions seem to be, by this point in season 1 it was already pretty obvious who Lorca was and where Disco was headed.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I kinda enjoy that the further we get the less accurate the original predictions seem to be, by this point in season 1 it was already pretty obvious who Lorca was and where Disco was headed.

Yeah, unlike S1, it's been hard to predict where this is going. Haven't really seen a single theory so far that has held up. Pretty neat.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm of the opinion that the Red Angel is
Michael Burnham

Me too. And
in order to save the universe, a new timeline has to be created, one in which Michael and Spock never met, and perhaps other stuff like the spore drive get neatly tied up. And the regular prime timeline is that new timeline, where disco carries on on its adventures and Spock carries on on his. Or something like that. On second thought, though, this might seem like a 'it all never happened' type of cop-out...

Tbh I'm so lost in where all this is in the timeline. I thought disco was pre-ToS, but with the Talos IV stuff now I haven't a clue. It probably doesn't help that I never watched ToS. I guess I have a little reading up to do.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Me too. And
in order to save the universe, a new timeline has to be created, one in which Michael and Spock never met, and perhaps other stuff like the spore drive get neatly tied up. And the regular prime timeline is that new timeline, where disco carries on on its adventures and Spock carries on on his. Or something like that. On second thought, though, this might seem like a 'it all never happened' type of cop-out...

Tbh I'm so lost in where all this is in the timeline. I thought disco was pre-ToS, but with the Talos IV stuff now I haven't a clue. It probably doesn't help that I never watched ToS. I guess I have a little reading up to do.

It's pre-ToS save for The Cage, which itself took place over ten years before Kirk's tenure on the Enterprise.

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. And

For sure pre-TOS, the Enterprise is in dry-dock following Pike's Five Year mission.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for sure. It's basically written everywhere. He's Culber but not Culber. Like waking from a coma with no memory of your family and being told that you love them. He doesn't. I'm sure he will by the end of it all, but for now its going to be a gut punch when he tells Stamets that he doesn't.
I guess Section 31 are going to be getting w new doctor soon who is morally grey.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Very enjoyable episode. Like the first season this one started off fairly 'eh' to me and has only improved as the story progressed

Nov 8, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Ah balls I forgot that. When did she pop off?
Spock didn't specify. He just said that after her death, Sybok and he were raised as brothers. Sybok was banished for embracing his emotions and encouraging others to do the same.

My original thought was it would be Michael and tie in with the short Trek in the future but if Michael originally died on Vulcan then she shouldn't have been around in the future to go back and save herself.

I'd love it to be someone completely out of left field that we already know like Seven of Nine coming back to make these changes because the Borg finally won.

Me too. And

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series_episodes#Production_order

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

The pilot from Star Trek was "The Cage" with Pike as the Enterprise captain and a whole different crew except for Spock. The events on this episode happened years before Discovery. The pilot was not approved and not aired (until much later after the series end). The series was reworked with a different crew and Captain Kirk, and set in a year 10 years after Discovery season 1. The Cage pilot footage was reworked as a flashback and background story for season 01 "The Menagerie" two-episode story, which is also set in Talos IV and deals with the fate of Pike, establishing the chronology of Enterprise and Pike as its captain before Kirk in the oficial lore.

So "The Cage" -> Discovery -> Star Trek OS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone making bets as to whether will get a Pike-Enterprise spin off set during that prior five year mission? Pike, Spock, and Number One are all great (the security officer and the dead guy, not as much, but they could be fleshed out). And it would give fans the alien/planet-of-the-week format they claim to want.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just wanna say that the cinematography, lighting design, and VFX work were absolutely unreal this passed episode.

The dark natural lit effect in a goddamn starship is beautiful. And all the talos planet cg and space stuff was on point.

Was a major departure but it just looked so damn nice.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The pilot from Star Trek was "The Cage" with Pike as the Enterprise captain and a whole different crew except for Spock. The events on this episode happened years before Discovery. The pilot was not approved and not aired (until much later after the series end). The series was reworked with a different crew and Captain Kirk, and set in a year 10 years after Discovery season 1. The Cage pilot footage was reworked as a flashback and background story for season 01 "The Menagerie" two-episode story, which is also set in Talos IV and deals with the fate of Pike, establishing the chronology of Enterprise and Pike as its captain before Kirk in the oficial lore.

So "The Cage" -> Discovery -> Star Trek OS.

Ah... thank you. I knew Pike was a pre-Kirk Enterprise captain, but didn't grok that there was so much time between them. I guess I'll watch these episodes. Thanks for the explanation!

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Ah... thank you. I knew Pike was a pre-Kirk Enterprise captain, but didn't grok that there was so much time between them. I guess I'll watch these episodes. Thanks for the explanation!

There were no time between Pike and Kirk, one immediately succeeds the other. I don't know how much time Pike was captain of the Enterprise, but in the Menagerie Spock says he served under Pike in Enterprise for 11 years before Pike got promoted and Kirk steps in.

The events on The Cage happened earlier on Pike command of the Enterprise, before Discovery. He continues to serve on Enterprise after that (and because that he can only be "guest" captain of Discovery for a short bit of time). Years later when Kirk becomes captain they went back to Talos IV on the Menagerie (which is sufficient to watch for understanding the timeline, but both it and The Cage are available on CBS/Netflix).

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still expect Culber and Stamets to work it out in the end. It always seemed the relationship was really important to the writers/producers.
I don't know. I think it's more important that they're not just the gay couple. I'd prefer the characters be able to stand on their own. Stamets has had that opportunity, but not so much Culber.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone making bets as to whether will get a Pike-Enterprise spin off set during that prior five year mission? Pike, Spock, and Number One are all great (the security officer and the dead guy, not as much, but they could be fleshed out). And it would give fans the alien/planet-of-the-week format they claim to want.
We better fucking had do.

Been calling for it every week. Mount is great as Pike and now Spock I'd great too.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Watched the episode last night, I really liked the scenes with Pike and Vina, thought that was great.

The recap intro reminded me of Twice Upon a Time from Doctor Who but I liked it.

These theories about Control are blowing my mind.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
We better fucking had do.

Been calling for it every week. Mount is great as Pike and now Spock I'd great too.

I would like a series like that too, although by today TV standards it will be serialized and not episodic (but for sure with some planet of the week episodes tossed in between).

But I fear the boat already sailed as it should be on profuction by this time if they want to keep the actors.

And what would you call the series? Star Trek the Pike Years? 😅

Window

Oct 27, 2017
So over the past 1.5 days I've finished all of S1 and am up to S2EP3. This show definitely has impressive production values and has turned out to be a great guilty pleasure. Guilty because the writing is often poor (that Lorca reveal and the entire WH40K alternate universe with Georgiou as emperor was so bad and bonkers but I couldn't stop watching). This isn't what I wanted out of a new Star Trek show but it can be enjoyable non the less.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
How many of the people that you're referencing even still work on the show? There's been quite a bit of turnover.
Not really. The writers room has largely stayed the same for the most part I believe. Story editors and coordinators are largely the same. Kurtzman has been there since day one as show creator, etc. Different show runners and some producers have changed or moved on to other Trek projects (producer example like Goldsman for example is on the Picard show now).