• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
TOS has old age gods appearing all the time.
TOS Movies asked what does God need with a starship.
The Picard was a religious figure.

Discovery does this once and you're calling it out?
It's the tone and approach. The how not the what. The focus on presentation over depth.

Disco has been a by the numbers drama with generic sci if tropes at best, a strung out poorly plotted theological tract at worst.

It's just supremely unchallenging material at the end of the day.

The characters are shallow, if well acted. And I think that could description could be extended to the show at large, essentially.

Feels so much like production values went up and script sophistication went waaay down.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit. I got Netflix working with my VPN and I'm watching the current episode in Dolby Vision. This show is the best looking show ever produced by far.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving this season so far, and how well the writers have done having an overreaching narrative, but every episode feels wholly it's own.

I hope the Red Angel reveal doesn't let down. I figure it's going to tie into something we already know about.

I just hope it's not future-man from Enterprise.

Can anyone recommend some Youtubers similar to that Mr. Sci-Fi guy. I watched an episode video from a Nerdrotic but since then, my recommended videos seem to be edging towards the negative youtubers and my recommendations are now in "how Brie Larson's anti-white men" and "why Captain marvel's going to be a big disappointment" territory.

Not youtube, but have you tried SFDebris?

https://sfdebris.com/index.php

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
It was?

Did we watch the same Deep Space Nine?
It gets way worse toward the end, I'm kinda dreading that part of my DS9 rewatch.

I don't mean to shit on Disco that much, it's just that the relatively poor production values of the older stuff lead to occasionally brilliant writing and world building, and while yeah, that stuff took seasons to develop before, and was relatively few and far between, this feels more like the balance went the other way, which isn't what I associate with Trek.

Like, there's no winking and acknowledgement of camp. It's just saccharine instead.

I mean, I like Mass Effect the show and all, but this last episode just rubbed wrong me in so many ways, especially considering the ridiculously high production quality of it all.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
You've all seen the image floating around that pretty much confirms what the red angel is right?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen it but my expectations are it's Spock and if it's literally anything else I'm happy.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm not gonna post it and ruin it for everyone. (also I just tried to find it and couldn't dig it up lol) Anyways, I love this season so far. The production values on this show are off the charts.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I'm not gonna post it and ruin it for everyone. (also I just tried to find it and couldn't dig it up lol) Anyways, I love this season so far. The production values on this show are off the charts.
Thank you. Hopefully if anyone else does they spoiler it and people then don't just talk about it openly.

And I agree with you. Loving it. Huge trek fan.

Oct 25, 2017
Also I think it was pretty obvious Saru was talking about personal growth when he was talking about evolving. Something he's going to struggle with now that he doesn't have fear as a constant trait.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Also I think it was pretty obvious Saru was talking about personal growth when he was talking about evolving. Something he's going to struggle with now that he doesn't have fear as a constant trait.
Indeed. Going from 25+ years of perpetual fear to losing it and getting an adrenaline injection is going to change who he is at times.

Hegarol

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Can anyone recommend some Youtubers similar to that Mr. Sci-Fi guy. I watched an episode video from a Nerdrotic but since then, my recommended videos seem to be edging towards the negative youtubers and my recommendations are now in "how Brie Larson's anti-white men" and "why Captain marvel's going to be a big disappointment" territory.
I really like "Trek on the tube". He is fond of DSC in general and his critisicm is on point. He also does Canon references at the end of every review.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So on a recommendation to watch DS9 from DBT95 and others (Never having liked DS9, only ST show I've never fully watched), I've been going through some episodes, and one thing stood out that's been bothering me with Discovery, and that's the makeup for the alien species. Specifically around the mouth area, very clearly seen on Klingons and on Saru.
The masks used on Discovery go over peoples faces/mouths too much making them talking look really awkward, like puppets. You could argue that the kelpians look like that, but for Klingons it's the same. Anyone else bothered by this?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So on a recommendation to watch DS9 from DBT95 and others (Never having liked DS9, only ST show I've never fully watched), I've been going through some episodes, and one thing stood out that's been bothering me with Discovery, and that's the makeup for the alien species. Specifically around the mouth area, very clearly seen on Klingons and on Saru.
The masks used on Discovery go over peoples faces/mouths too much making them talking look really awkward, like puppets. You could argue that the kelpians look like that, but for Klingons it's the same. Anyone else bothered by this?
No. It would be weirder if they had human lips. Most species are translated via UT, so what their lips are saying isn't necessarily what you're hearing. The makeup helps disguise that

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
No. It would be weirder if they had human lips. Most species are translated via UT, so what their lips are saying isn't necessarily what you're hearing. The makeup helps disguise that
This was never an issue in any of the prior series. This to me is more of a production issue than any "in world" thing.
But I guess that answers my question if any one else is bothered by it.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was never an issue in any of the prior series. This to me is more of a production issue than any "in world" thing.
But I guess that answers my question if any one else is bothered by it.
Nobody thought of it. Also they didn't have the budget or technology for advanced prosthetics. Disco has a similar level of production value to the TOS movies for that kind of thing. Your complaint is similar to "why doesn't this look like TOS".

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Red Angel reveal doesn't let down. I figure it's going to tie into something we already know about.
I think it's going to do that for some people no matter what. Especially those constantly trying to figure things like this out. It won't live up to the wildest speculation. This type of thing never does.

Nope. It's always been something that annoyed me about past Trek shows, that many aliens were largely just humans with pieces on their forehead or sides of their faces. I know they were working on a TV make up budget but I've always wanted the aliens to look and sound more alien and Discovery has done that.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Midway through the last episode I totally thought that:
The Ba'ul were just the Kelpiens in an evolved, violent stage. They went through the process of "evolving" but it was kept a secret. But no, they are just some black gooey species. Oh well.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Ba'ul were just the Kelpiens in an evolved, violent stage. They went through the process of "evolving" but it was kept a secret. But no, they are just some black gooey species. Oh well.

A couple of us had similar working theories.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

I thought of that too. It would be an simpler explanation and better in my opinion.

Wonder how they will handle the new "predator" stance of Saru. Pike was quite patient with him this episode. "-Do you thing I will disobey orders?" That is exactly what you were doing in that moment, Saru. Pike had a lot of tact (showing his captain material, Kirk would start a fight 🤣)

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yo, I thought when shields were up, you couldn't transport? No?
Yeah they kinda fucked that bit up, didn't they? I thought Discovery had previously honoured that technicality.

meh that trope was first introduced in the TOS episode A Taste of Armageddon and broken in the very same episode lol

That's fine and all, but that's not the lore within the Star Trek universe.

they did it all the time in voyager not the mention in the TNG episode relics so at this point who cares

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how often the writers get tweeted at with regards to inconsistencies with established lore.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they kinda fucked that bit up, didn't they? I thought Discovery had previously honoured that technicality.
As some others and I mentioned on the previous page it actually makes more logical sense that it does work than not.
meh that trope was first introduced in the TOS episode A Taste of Armageddon and broken in the very same episode lol

they did it all the time in voyager not the mention in the TNG episode relics so at this point who cares
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not a purist, but that lore stuck with me for some reason.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
You didn't mention that you think Sisko is an idiot lol. :P

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine and all, but that's not the lore within the Star Trek universe.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not a purist, but that lore stuck with me for some reason.

Honestly I'm happy if they actually fix lore stuff the older series messed up but then again I'm not a purist either.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll ask again, but how are Kelpians really the predator species when they are vegetarians and eat sea weed?

Well, we don't know yet if tge Kelpians evolved are still vegetarians, the process can change that.

Also they may not be predators in the sense they eat the other species, but in the sense they compete for the same resources and kill for them.