• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, when people ask me how I feel about Enterprise... always season 3... season 4 felt like a step down for me, despite it still being better than the 1st and 2nd season.

The Romulan and Andorian stuff was good I guess

Season 3 was the peak imo. It felt like it was actually attempting to be itself and tell a story. Season 4 really pushes hard on being TOS lite and just stuffing the show with references and call forwards.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually that brings up another point...the Klingons were going to war anyways, Michael didn't start anything. It was always T'Kuvmas plan to attack the federation. So MU Lorca or not, the klingons have no reason to stop fighting the federation.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Klingons were always going to go to War, but the Federation thinks Michael started it... in their eyes, they did nothing to provoke the Klingons... but Michael killing a Religious Leader, would make a little sense.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I'm curious as to how they're going to explain why future Starfleet didn't order the Defiant to stay away from the interphasic rift if the Discovery makes it back to the Prime Universe before the end of the war. I can accept some changes in canon, but that's going to be a tough nail to swallow if they're going to expect me to believe that Starfleet would willingly withhold information that would save an entire crew from a terrible demise. But of course, if they do stop the Defiant from entering the interphasic rift, that creates something of a paradox since the Discovery crew would've been affected by the knowledge that the Defiant was in the Mirror Universe.

That little conundrum could be avoided if they jump to the future though, or to another parallel universe.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to how they're going to explain why future Starfleet didn't order the Defiant to stay away from the interphasic rift if the Discovery makes it back to the Prime Universe before the end of the war. I can accept some changes in canon, but that's going to be a tough nail to swallow if they're going to expect me to believe that Starfleet would willingly withhold information that would save an entire crew from a terrible demise. But of course, if they do stop the Defiant from entering the interphasic rift, that creates something of a paradox since the Discovery crew would've been affected by the knowledge that the Defiant was in the Mirror Universe.

That little conundrum could be avoided if they jump to the future though, or to another parallel universe.
They don't know where interphasic space is amd I don't think they know the exact time of the incident, if they never learn it it will be impossible to save the Defiant.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ted Sullivan was on Twitter pointing out that Stamets is not the Chief Engineer and that the room we've seen is his engineering lab, not main engineering, which we haven't seen yet. Which is weird considering the room seems intentionally designed to callback to TOS main engineering.

Got me thinking about the layout of the ship. I suppose the Engineering Lab and Main Engineering could be adjacent to each other, both connected to through the... warp drive tunnel(?). Which would make some amount of sense since the ship basically has two different engines under the hood at the same time. Something like this maybe?

Could be a good excuse to have a camera shot pass through the glass (transparent aluminum, excuse me), through the tunnel, through the light at the end and come out the other side and into main engineering. DSC seems a little more indulgent with those kinds of shots.

VKjo32D.jpg

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Ted Sullivan was on Twitter pointing out that Stamets is not the Chief Engineer and that the room we've seen is his engineering lab, not main engineering, which we haven't seen yet. Which is weird considering the room seems intentionally designed to callback to TOS main engineering.

Got me thinking about the layout of the ship. I suppose the Engineering Lab and Main Engineering could be adjacent to each other, both connected to through the... warp drive tunnel(?). Which would make some amount of sense since the ship basically has two different engines under the hood at the same time. Something like this maybe?

Could be a good excuse to have a camera shot pass through the glass (transparent aluminum, excuse me), through the tunnel, through the light at the end and come out the other side and into main engineering. DSC seems a little more indulgent with those kinds of shots.

VKjo32D.jpg

It's actually slightly funny (arguably thematic) how much the cast currently has a science bias. Saru, Michael, Stamets and Tilly are all science officers (well, Cadet for Tilly), and if he had been stationed on a Constitution class Culber would be wearing blue. Lorca and Tyler represent tactical officers, so there just hasn't really been an engineer of any description. Which admittedly is a bit odd when one realises potential stresses and strains on the ship would be easy dialogue fodder.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually slightly funny (arguably thematic) how much the cast currently has a science bias. Saru, Michael, Stamets and Tilly are all science officers (well, Cadet for Tilly), and if he had been stationed on a Constitution class Culber would be wearing blue. Lorca and Tyler represent tactical officers, so there just hasn't really been an engineer of any description. Which admittedly is a bit odd when one realises potential stresses and strains on the ship would be easy dialogue fodder.

Of course most of the officers have science background. Discovery is a science research vessel first and foremost. It only engaged more in the war because one of its discoveries was the spore drive that became a very useful weapon.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see him being evil - it seems he did try and turn against the emperor and somehow ended up in our universe. And now has deliberately played a (slightly far fetched) long game to get back on board the emperors ship. So maybe he's a good-ish guy after all?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Of course most of the officers have science background. Discovery is a science research vessel first and foremost. It only engaged more in the war because one of its discoveries was the spore drive that became a very useful weapon.

Hence the 'arguably thematic' - that the makeup of the primary cast reflects the nature of the vessel.

In sillier news, this entered my feed today and it's kinda amazing:

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see him being evil - it seems he did try and turn against the emperor and somehow ended up in our universe. And now has deliberately played a (slightly far fetched) long game to get back on board the emperors ship. So maybe he's a good-ish guy after all?

We don't know yet if he was sided with the rebels or not, he could have being acting on his own purposes I.e. getting the throne for himself (after all this is the way people rise in their ranks on the Mirror Universe).

However he has shown that he will make what it takes to achieve his goals, quite questionable things. I fear it has passed any point of redemption.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

VKjo32D.jpg

I feel kinda stupid not realizing this. I guess they never actually said they weren't in main engineering and Stamets wasn't the chief engineer but I just assumed those were both the case.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be very surprised if we don't leave the the mirror universe tonight. We've had 4 episodes now. I think Discovery has successfully put their stamp on that part of Trek lore too.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I still feel like the Klingon war will be dealt with via...
a break down of the spore network sending them into the future some when the war has already ended and perhaps the Klingons are even part of the Federation. Either way it will likely end on the off screen. Mirror universe will likely last up until the end of the season.
Just my predictions!

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think someone said earlier in a previous threads, perhaps on the forum that dare not speak its name... that by the time the season ends... they will have found a way to re-connect the show to prime cannon somehow to align to TOS in someway.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think someone said earlier in a previous threads, perhaps on the forum that dare not speak its name... that by the time the season ends... they will have found a way to re-connect the show to prime cannon somehow to align to TOS in someway.

It was said in an interview if I remember correctly that they show would get closer and closer to the TOS era of Star Trek via designs and such. We also know that season 2 will be more light hearted and the Klingon war won't be a focus (presumably ended). Thus my above prediction of a time jump. Only way I can see them successfully wrapping up the Klingon war in such a short timeframe. Would theoretically wrap up some other stories as well.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
More along the lines of colors, themes, etc. Some misunderstood those comments. The show is never going to look like TOS or even a modern version of those designs ala Enterprise during their mirror universe episodes. The show is expanding on things and maybe even retconning some things but still very much the prime cannon. Visually that ship has long sailed though and that's for the better.

Oct 25, 2017
Would be kinda dumb to push the ending of the war off screen, but with basically two episodes left (I don't expect them to focus on the war tonight) I guess they're gonna have to rush through it anyways.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, man, this show looks good and this is just in regular hd since we don't get it in anything else other than cbs all-access. I think it will, but this need to get a 4K blu-ray for HDR.

Hey, communication on the view screen!
Nice scene.

Damn, this Landry is just as hard-ass as that one lol.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, all those crew members actually have lines this week. It's almost like they're not just glorifed Harry Kims. lol

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
That was a fantastic episode, and I'm liking this set up for the final episode.

They now have a brutally efficient tactician on their side.

Still no outright confirmation that Prime Lorca is dead, but I could easily see Issacs being a 1 season thing.