• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

A tactical squad-based rogue-lite RPG set in an endless interplanetary rebellion against an evil authoritarian empire.
Fusing a reactive, tactical turn-based battle system that emphasizes interrupts and counters, with a procedurally generated and emergent mission-based campaign and an intelligent Adversary system with enemy officers that evolve and move up in the ranks, every playthrough is unique, challenging, and never the same.

- Outwit your foes with interrupts, counters, and combos in our fast-paced Reactive Time Battle System
- Survive the relentless onslaught of an Intelligent Adversary system that generates unique enemies and bosses that evolve as you play
- Unlock hundreds of alternate characters as your surviving squad members form bonds and create progeny
- Battle your way into the heart of the Empire as our Rebellion Engine creates a unique experience with each playthrough via emergent gameplay and events, procedurally generated missions, shifting priorities, evolving enemies, and tons of equipment/upgrades for your squad

52U8adQl.jpg

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Sci fi.
Nice.

Non-ugly pixel art that isn't trying to look like an 8-bit game.
Nice.

Tactics.
Hmm. Are we talking an XCOM type tactics (nice), everyone fighting on a small empty grid type tactics (meh) or everyone stands in a line taking turns to swat each other type tactics (meeeeeh, but I kinda liked Darkest Dungeon so who knows)?

EDIT: Oh wait, didn't see the link. Looks like it's last kind. Eh. "Fast-paced Reactive Time Battle System" better not mean they're trying to combine real time and turn based. That always turns into an awkward mess.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This just got released on PC.

A word of caution: It is on Gamepass! I almost bought it on Steam but just happened to catch that it was on Gamepass before I did.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Should be noted that the game generates an "imperial hierarchy" for you to dismantle, and those enemy officers are supposed to adapt to your actions- I.e., it's a form of the Nemesis system variation.

Gonna check it out whenever I'm done with HZD

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on what people think before pulling the trigger, but so far it looks good.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Ummmm so i finished the tutorial and the first map.

If you like Grandia combat then this might be right up your alley.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, just looked in store rather than the gamepass app.

edit - annoyingly enough, the shortcut/launcher doesn't add itself to the app lol.

When the app updates it will appear. I have had this happen downloading from the store early several times.

Was this even announced for Gamepass? Or is this just a random get?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for the last hour. Really really like it so far.

The combat at least so far has been pretty fun, and I didn't know the game had a pseudo-nemesis system. I really dig it.

And even if you hate the gameplay or story for some reason, visually this game is completely stunning and worth playing for that alone.

Primary gripe so far is the big lack of options. Hopefully they add more.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Gorgeous pixelart, and looks cool, but... I see the roguelite tag used. How does that work? Don't tell me you start over from the beginning in an RPG...?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Some reviews seem to indicate that its a good game weighed down by unfair difficulty.
Most runs often end in frustration and only the truly dedicated will be able to finish the game.

I'm giving it a try on GP

Last edited:

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played it a bunch more. Still liking it but some flaws are starting to shine though.

Game is def hard, but it doesn't feel unfair yet to me. I'm still making the occasional stupid mistake which is why I'm losing.

However the game needs to be better about telling you stuff. Right now there seems to be a bug where if an enemy has more than a certain amount of status conditions... you just can't see the rest of them. Which is kinda important when you're fighting commanders and stuff and need to know their weaknesses. So I have to check them before I fight every single time. There is a lot more stuff I'm constantly wondering about which I need to figure out via trial and error.

The writing is... meh? It wasn't the core focus here and clearly shows. For the story it doesn't matter that much but there is a lot of emphasis put on companionship here so weaker character writing and banter hurts the game. It hasn't been that bad but it would be awesome for it to be improved via update or something.

The visuals remain ridiculously good.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I know I said I'd whip together an OT but the rogue lite elements of this game are absolute dogshit and I'm pretty pissed after clearing a couple planets. Will make an OT tomorrow if I'm in a better mood lol.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Went through the first planet, seems alright? The RPG combat is pretty run, but it seems like the runs are gonna take *awhile* and I don't know if I have it in me to do this kind of thing over and over? Unless there's a ton of variety in the classes/enemies. Not having seen how the run-based element works, it's kind of hard to tell. So I'll at least keep going through my first fail.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Went through the first planet, seems alright? The RPG combat is pretty run, but it seems like the runs are gonna take *awhile* and I don't know if I have it in me to do this kind of thing over and over? Unless there's a ton of variety in the classes/enemies. Not having seen how the run-based element works, it's kind of hard to tell. So I'll at least keep going through my first fail.
This is how I'm feeling. I was way into it until I hit the game over screen and saw what was ahead of me.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
lol ffs, playing on an elite controller. I open a chest after killing a boss, and I pick the wrong item by accident because I hit one of the paddles.

And gg, it saved after I opened the chest. Christ.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Ok i made the OT

www.resetera.com

Star Renegades |OT| A grandia space adventure

A brand new Rogue-Lite with elements from Grandia and the Nemesis System of LotR. Gorgeous Pixel art, tough as nails difficulty and tactical combat with a Granida-Esque delay combat system. From the Steam Page RESIST. RECLAIM. REVIVE. REPEAT A service robot named J5T-1N has arrived in your...