• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That makes it sound like it's simply not a progression-based rogue, so instead of becoming more powerful (like Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells, Hades, etc) you just unlock options (like FTL, Into the Breach, arguably Enter the Gungeon, many traditional roguelikes, etc.).

Pretty much, assuming that you mean becoming more powerful between runs. The bonuses you unlock are quite small and the new characters aren't really more powerfull, just different.

Oct 25, 2017
I like the game but there are some UI issues, at least on game pass version, that are very intolerable. And some abilities are not very clear on how they work, like siphon does not restore shields it drains them and needs active shields. Some other weird shit too like they did a great job with the UI ideas in general but a couple issues really drain my enjoyment.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My first party is currently working on the third world without any major issues. Aside from the starting 3, I picked up Aegis and Commando as I've gone along. It's just risk management, the game.

Can I kill the threats before they attack?
Can I stagger them?
Do I need to defend?

Though this thread has taught me a few things that clear up some minor confusion I had, i.e. the stagger count doesn't reset everyround. It only resets when it hits 0. In addition, I'm pushing them all the way into the next round's timer, so it may occasionally be worth using a bigger stagger so I can get more hits in before they activate next turn. It also may be worth setting up more stagger hits even after they break, so that their meter resets the next round.

Oct 25, 2017
My first party is currently working on the third world without any major issues. Aside from the starting 3, I picked up Aegis and Commando as I've gone along. It's just risk management, the game.

Can I kill the threats before they attack?
Can I stagger them?
Do I need to defend?

Though this thread has taught me a few things that clear up some minor confusion I had, i.e. the stagger count doesn't reset everyround. It only resets when it hits 0. In addition, I'm pushing them all the way into the next round's timer, so it may occasionally be worth using a bigger stagger so I can get more hits in before they activate next turn. It also may be worth setting up more stagger hits even after they break, so that their meter resets the next round.

The stagger limit does not reset. It accumulates every time they take an action. So pretty much whenever you do not break them. You can let the stagger limit accumulate if you want just by not breaking them.

Oct 25, 2017
I got my second win. And damn that felt way harder than my first run, at least the very last boss did. It got real close to the line there. Maybe made one mistake that could have ended it.

My next last boss is saboteur and I just unlocked progeny from him... so that's annoying.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Finally got around to checking this out via Game Pass. WTF is up with the GPU usage of this game? The overworld is utilizing 50% of my RTX 2080. Are they using some crazy expensive post processing?

Edit: Playing at 1080p too.

bigf00t

Jul 9, 2018
I've been binging this game super hard, and it's really great! Got to the final boss on 2 our of my 4 runs so far, but my current run (and best one so far!) is softlocked by a bug :(

Basically, I'm fighting an Arbalest mini-boss, and he keeps attempting to summon missiles, but they never appear (maybe because his side is already full), and I never get a turn. Exiting the game and reloading doesn't help, as I'm still in the same fight.

Anyway, long story short, I found that it's a known bug that has already been patched on the Steam version, but the GamePass version that I'm playing is still a couple patches behind. Really hope the patch comes out this week, as this has kind of killed my momentum.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
Definitely not a fan of the crazy slow overworld or the mess of a UI, but the game is very addicting otherwise.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I'm hooked. I almost made it with my first team, but i messed up badly with the bomb gimmick in the last world, and let it be destroyed.

Glad to know they already have a roadmap, with more renegades and planets to expand the game.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
Let's hope one of those patches fixes the "Eagle Eye" combo ability from doing literally nothing for 20 fury. Ended a run yesterday because I was curious enough to try it out.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Manged to complete my first run, off to the second. If all the non progeny classes, the Empath is the only one that felt kinda underwhelming, maybe i didn't play her right, gotta try her again.

It's a shame that the game barely takes itself seriously in terms of plot. The aesthetics and the artstyle are so beautiful also the soundtrack really fits, i love the overall atmosphere, the intro animation is also great. There could've been a good setting to be stablished here, but for the most part is just a wierd sense of humor, from dialogue to character descriptions.

Still, the battle system is so engaging, and the game does not let you become OP(or at least not the entire party), so you have to manage everything, every battle is a thrill.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The tone of the script is very weird and I'm not a fan of some of the humor.

Did a run last night and finally got the third behemoth only to get utterly destroyed. I like the battle system but I don't think I like the overall package.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
The tone of the script is very weird and I'm not a fan of some of the humor.

Did a run last night and finally got the third behemoth only to get utterly destroyed. I like the battle system but I don't think I like the overall package.
That's a tricky one because he will reflect damage in the early turns, till he stops doing that, avoid going at him full force, just try to hold out focusing on defensive maneuvers and light attacks early on, then go to town once he stops reflecting damage.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Definitely not a fan of the crazy slow overworld or the mess of a UI, but the game is very addicting otherwise.

While fun for the first hour or two, Star Renegades feels like a lot of work to play. Everything takes too long, there's too much on screen that somehow doesn't give enough information. Having to cycle every enemy to figure out how much damage everyone is doing is such a chore.

Why don't all the characters have health/shield numbers up at all times? Unnumbered bars are the bane of my existence.

Why doesn't the initiative tracker just put the numbers on each unit? If the interface was cleaned up, and all the needed information was on screen and intuitive, it would be a much better experience.

Anyone making this kind of game needs to take lessons from "Into the Breach". That game really nails the presentation of information and pace of gameplay for a "pure gameplay" game.

Oct 26, 2017
I just started this today. I'm enjoying it, but as others have said....the interface could be cleaned up quite a lot. I've stopped for now, but I'll try some more tonight and see if it pulls me in enough to finish it.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I take it back about the Empath, she is also pretty good. I didn't get all the progeny yet but all the base classes seem to be very solid and balanced, just gotta find a good composition.

The only thing i don't like is, how you are given two(3 with the module) random heroes to choose from, at the beginning of every mission, greatly affects the idea of building your own team with a strategy in mind. Also, i wish we could sell gear.

Some quality of life changes would do wonders to this game as people pointed, but overall, i cannot stop playing it, easily one of my favorite games this year.

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
I was pretty down then I first tried this when it first came onto Gamepass. The day 1 patch that finally hit really fixed quite a bit and ive been hooked.

Yeah wish the dialogue was better. Its not silly enough to be Borderlands good so its just in this weird no-mans-land.

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
Glad I found the thread for this! Played this on PC through Game Pass this weekend, and it's a mixed bag for me because I don't think the roguelike structure works for this game at all and it needs a bunch of QoL improvements but holy shit the battle system in this game is absurdly good.

These are some of the most tactically engrossing battles I've played through in JRPG-style combat in a long time. The shield > armor > health system, plus the various status effects and the action timing+interrupt system make it all super engrossing. And the carryover from health and armor between fights while your shields regen is a great way to keep the party at a bare minimum resource pool while still having long-term resource management. Another thing is that even though there's no character progression options, I really like the variety of characters and how they each have their niche.

But man, the roguelike elements just drag this game down. My first run was approximately 5 hours long, then I died halfway through the last boss, and then just have to do it all over. I went through and looked at the upgrades available but they all looked so uninteresting and inconsequential. It feels like the game needed more, either in having a more full, standard campaign or more meaningful roguelike elements (like choosing different planets to go to with different rewards, or different upgrade paths for your characters, or a wider variety of unique enemies to make the encounters more interesting). As it is, I just want them to transplant the battle system into another game while improving on the UI.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks very appealing - would love to pick it up on Switch but I'm hearing lots of reports of performance issues there - has anyone picked this up on Switch? What are your impressions?

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game is currently on sale on GOG. Have the devs indicated any intention of supporting the game with new content?

Sep 14, 2018
So I've been playing this game the past few days and it's surprisingly really good. I've never played roguelikes because I hate their combat systems, imagine my surprise when I find this one has this really well designed version of Valkyrie Profile's, also known as the best JRPG of all time.

It took a bit to figure out but really, well done developers. It's a very good game fundamentally, the music and art are also quite good.

I do have to mention the script is beyond terrible, I skip literally all of it. It's almost like Cosmic Star Heroine's taken to a really obnoxious extreme and the thing is the setting is pretty interesting so that was a missed opportunity. Every single line is some kind of Joss Whedonesque snappy quip, I can't think of anything worse to do to a script.

I'm currently unlocking Juggernaut and Dragoon, the others I haven't gotten to yet aside from Paragon but I think the classes are all quite good and well thought out. Except Empath, pick her only to unlock the Spectre and throw her away forever.

Last edited:

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I enjoyed it the first few runs. But i failed miserably in thr 2nd area on just normal. I got the flow of the combat, i was using breaking and every possible upgrade for my party. Difficulty spike from easy to normal is just absurd (i cleared the game three times in a row on easy). Had fun with this but its no Hades. Definitely recommend for every fan of turn based combat though. Storu, characters and dialogues were too flat and boring tho.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I do have to mention the script is beyond terrible, I skip literally all of it. It's almost like Cosmic Star Heroine's taken to a really obnoxious extreme and the thing is the setting is pretty interesting so that was a missed opportunity. Every single line is some kind of Joss Whedonesque snappy quip, I can't think of anything worse to do to a script.
Well, this pretty much killed any interest I had in the game. Can't stand that junk.

Sep 14, 2018
Well, this pretty much killed any interest I had in the game. Can't stand that junk.
Thankfully there is an option to disable 99% of the dialogue so you never have to see it. It's a great game otherwise, I've actually gone back to it these last few days since the new update and just beat the first entropy level, I think I'm going to clear them all. The gameplay is just really good, I dropped a bunch of other games for this just cause it's such a joy to play.

Sep 14, 2018
Beat entropy IV an hour ago! This spectre was beyond stacked, she was two shotting the final bosses. I'm kind of dreading the final entropy but I can't stop now lol, I have almost 80hr on this game, it's the strangest thing I usually don't like games like this.

sr.png

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Just thought I'd bump the thread to let people know this just released on PS4.

I didn't see an official announcement anywhere and it doesn't appear on the PS5 store unless you use the search function, so I was a bit surprised to see it.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Picked this up on the PSN sale - holy shit, how did this game fly under my radar for so long?!?

I'm only a few hours into my first run, but everything I'm seeing and playing is right up my alley - turn based strat, amazing art and sound, and BIG CHUNKY ROBOTS!

Obviously still have lots to learn in this game - but one thing that stuck out to me was there doesn't seem to be a way to heal (life, not shields) or use items during battles - is that not a thing in the game?