• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017

A brand new Rogue-Lite with elements from Grandia and the Nemesis System of LotR. Gorgeous Pixel art, tough as nails difficulty and tactical combat with a Granida-Esque delay combat system.

From the Steam Page

RESIST. RECLAIM. REVIVE. REPEAT
A service robot named J5T-1N has arrived in your dimension to warn of impending doom from an overwhelming force known as the Imperium.
Fight for survival across a procedurally generated and emergent mission-based campaign through reactive, tactical turn-based battle system that emphasizes interrupts and counters. Standing in your way is an intelligent Adversary system with enemy officers that evolve and move up in the ranks.

Also available on GamePass for PC

Launch Trailer

Some thoughts from me:

Game is definitely tough the first few runs until you figure out combat flow. The rogue lite elements are pretty BS though. Unlocked gear needs to be activated and you can only activate one at a time so im failing to understand the point of having multiple unlocks. (REALLY FRUSTRATING) You unlock additional starting characters as you defeat mini-bosses and gather intel.

All in all i think the game needs a couple updates BUT the pixel art is GORGEOUS and the combat is pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Been following this game for two years since I first saw it at Pax East in 2019. This and EA announcement made gamepass a no brainer.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Was so excited to see it come to game pass

OP
OP
Darkmaigle

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty down on the game right now if im being honest and really glad i scooped via Game Pass. I cleared three planets and the reward ratio just isnt clicking for me given the runs take so long. The unlock system needs immediate work. Imagine in dead cells if you unlocked all the stuff but could only activate one thing per run. Like it makes no sense and really takes away from the game.

EDIT: I was wrong - so any gear you unlock has a chance to appear during a run and you can choose one thing to add to your squad when you start a run.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I am pretty down on the game right now if im being honest and really glad i scooped via Game Pass. I cleared three planets and the reward ratio just isnt clicking for me given the runs take so long. The unlock system needs immediate work. Imagine in dead cells if you unlocked all the stuff but could only activate one thing per run. Like it makes no sense and really takes away from the game.

EDIT: I was wrong - so any gear you unlock has a chance to appear during a run and you can choose one thing to add to your squad when you start a run.
Thanks for doing the OT!

I have a very short tolerance for roguelike design so that doesn't sound appealing šŸ˜” Only roguelikes I like happen to be Rogue Legacy, Hollow Knight and roguelite shooters like Receiver 2, Post Void, which have short rounds and have quick rebounds.

But it looks great...

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
There are some things that are also apparently super-lategame rewards, like the whole "Progeny" system. If you can get a pair to Relationship 4 during a run, you can unlock variations of the classes, even couple of brand new ones, but there's one thing that eludes me still:

In that launch trailer, at 0:15,

How does the throne room get so full? I've yet to see that replicated in released game footage, the hierarchy view only shows the 3 planets at the top usually. Is that cut content, or a wild additional mode hidden deep in game's unlocks?

OP
OP
Darkmaigle

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for doing the OT!

I have a very short tolerance for roguelike design so that doesn't sound appealing šŸ˜” Only roguelikes I like happen to be Rogue Legacy, Hollow Knight and roguelite shooters like Receiver 2, Post Void, which have short rounds and have quick rebounds.

But it looks great...

Game passsssssssssss

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I've played the game for more than 25 hours (I reviewed it for a site in my country). If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer. I liked the game a lot, it is tough at first but it gets much easier once you get the hang of the combat system. Party composition is very important and you have to play to your party's strengths. A very strong party is Aegis, Valkyrie and Saboteur. You unlock Aegis after the first run I believe.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This flew under my radar. Glad to hear it's on game pass. Downloading now.

OP
OP
Darkmaigle

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I've played the game for more than 25 hours (I reviewed it for a site in my country). If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer. I liked the game a lot, it is tough at first but it gets much easier once you get the hang of the combat system. Party composition is very important and you have to play to your party's strengths. A very strong party is Aegis, Valkyrie and Saboteur. You unlock Aegis after the first run I believe.

Yep Aegis can completely own a run. Combined with the other classes cover fire ability you can do some serious defensive damage

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Soon as I learn how the combat actually works I will love this game. But for now I really only a sliver of an idea on what I've been doing.

docannon

Oct 28, 2017
I have seen several instances of people mistakenly labeling Hollow Knight as a roguelite. Not entirely sure why that is, and it doesnt seem to happen to other games that similarly adopt the "dropped souls" mechanic. Its bizarre and I wonder if there is a common source for it (like a mistaken review or podcast comment).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecentral reviewed it today:

metro.co.uk

Star Renegades review ā€“ the worldā€™s prettiest strategy game

With some of the best pixel art ever and a great combat system, Star Renegades is the most intriguing indie strategy since Into The Breach.

In Short: Gorgeous pixel art graphics and one of the best turn-based combat systems of recent years can't quite make up for an obnoxious script and frustrating role-playing elements.
Pros: The visuals and soundtrack are pitch perfect and worth the price of admission alone. Excellent battle system, that's both extremely deep and relatively original.
Cons: The interface is horrible, the script is worse, and the roguelike and role-playing aspects all seem undercooked. Just a little too difficult, even once you know what you're doing.
Score: 7/10

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've already posted my thoughts about the highs and lows of this game but honestly, personally I'm really loving it. I think it's a very "Me" Thing though and the game may not be for everyone.

Made it to what I think is the final boss and died on my second run, haha. Dang.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the characters that are question marks? Are they unlockable or DLC or something?

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Does anyone know what the deal is with the characters that are question marks? Are they unlockable or DLC or something?
Yes, even once you've unlocked every character available through meta-progression hub, there are apparently 4 unique characters only available through specific pairings in relationship/progeny system.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Found my favourite arena.

almZyUN.jpg

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

metro.co.uk

With some of the best pixel art ever and a great combat system, Star Renegades is the most intriguing indie strategy since Into The Breach.

In Short: Gorgeous pixel art graphics and one of the best turn-based combat systems of recent years can't quite make up for an obnoxious script and frustrating role-playing elements.
Pros: The visuals and soundtrack are pitch perfect and worth the price of admission alone. Excellent battle system, that's both extremely deep and relatively original.
Cons: The interface is horrible, the script is worse, and the roguelike and role-playing aspects all seem undercooked. Just a little too difficult, even once you know what you're doing.
What's interesting is the cons can be patched.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
What's interesting is the cons can be patched.

Yes the game is a little too difficult. I wouldn't mind a lower difficulty.
The screen can become a mess with your squad and the AI at full party.
It becomes difficult to target enemies and even see health bars.

The game feels like it's almost there.
With the promised additional content, hopefully comes some re-balancing and UI fixes.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
I was really waiting for it, but ehhhhhhhh, another roguelike. Is it really that hard to make normal, indie 20-25 hours RPG? It seems like indie scene just went so hard into roguelike direction and I hate it :(

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I finally beat the final boss. My party consisted of the saboteur, enforcer, archon, aegis and commando. I feel like Aegis and Saboteur are two essential party members for any player still learning the ropes.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018

metro.co.uk

Wierd, why care so much about script in a roguelite? the gameplay loop is the most important element by far.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yes the game is a little too difficult. I wouldn't mind a lower difficulty.
The screen can become a mess with your squad and the AI at full party.
It becomes difficult to target enemies and even see health bars.

The game feels like it's almost there.
With the promised additional content, hopefully comes some re-balancing and UI fixes.
They probably will. I am waiting the console release so let's see :)

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely looks amazing, I'll look into it more and maybe wait to see if some updates address the OPs concerns.

OP
OP
Darkmaigle

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Ive all but fallen off the game at this point - runs take way too long unlocks are not compelling enough and the gameplay is pretty basic once you figure it out. Like i said in my earlier impressions this game is a couple updates away.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Like i said in my earlier impressions this game is a couple updates away.

That's the impression I'm getting from the RPS review. Sure seems like it needs a little bit more time in the oven. Which isn't uncommon for a lot of roguelikes given how many of them receive substantial updates over 1-2 years following launch.

Will be keeping an eye on this one since I'm not ready to play it, but it also always captured my attention every time I walked by it at PAX East.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The UX in this game is just frustrating. Key information is hidden away by clicks that are multi purpose interactions so they can easily be messed up. At any given time there's 5 different fonts on screen and they're all inappropriate for the pixel art style. The upscaling used blurs the pixel art on high res displays. Everything but the pixel art in this game just feels undercooked and is a poor user experience. It just takes so much more mental energy to do the menial tasks in the game compared to something like slay the spire or monster train or into the breach.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent like an hour with it and I like the concept but the writing and pacing is unbearable. Moving around and fights takes forever, while the party mumble about irreverent jokes inbetween.

The art is gorgeous though. They did a fantastic job visually.

OP
OP
Darkmaigle

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah the camping sequences take way too long too. You should be able to make selections and skip the fuck outta there with quicknesd

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only just dipped my toes into this but I am in LOVE with the artstyle. Heavy Octopath Traveler vibes here with the sci-fi aesthetic. Not a big fan of the characters so far but the combat seems fun.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I wish this was a full blown RPG honestly. I also think its a bit too difficult, I barely beat Chimera the first time through and it has too much in its kit. out of all of my character the old Commando dude is the only one to do decent damage. For how weak the sniper guy is defensively he needs to be able to almost wipe a fair selection of enemies in his snipe mode.

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
I finished this game once after 5 tries (3 of which were world 1), enjoyed it but am not motivated to do it again for further unlocks.

My main thought is that the solution to almost fight is the same: stagger until you can no longer do so, then defend and recover.
In certain situations you can alpha strike in the first turn if you can take only shield damage, then either win or go to staggertown.

With the length of a run (4-5h) unlocking 1-3 things afterwards that you aren't even sure are upgrades is not motivation enough to do it again.

I finished the game with the original 3 characters + Marksmen + Enforcer (the latter chosen out of a 2x2 dps pool..., I wanted extra defensive power)

The Saboteur with additional stagger gear just seems dominate. Its high level abilities are a hard counter to when the game starts using formation and Guarding.
And if you can Break with a single move then do no additional hits on that target, they only use a single charge. I used this to absurdity in the final fight, denying 4/5th attacks of the main threat until I could focus fire.

I am so not sure if this is a hidden mechanic or a bug, but I'm pretty sure that if you have truely stupid amount of stagger enemies can get staggered into missing 2 turns in a row. It happened on single target bursts multiple times.

This does feel like an 8/10 single good run game, winning it felt tense even though I was never in much danger in hindsight. Part of that was 'no reload' stakes, part was unfamiliarity with enemy mechanics. Right now it is packed into a 6/10 runbased package.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I finished this game once after 5 tries (3 of which were world 1), enjoyed it but am not motivated to do it again for further unlocks.

My main thought is that the solution to almost fight is the same: stagger until you can no longer do so, then defend and recover.
In certain situations you can alpha strike in the first turn if you can take only shield damage, then either win or go to staggertown.

With the length of a run (4-5h) unlocking 1-3 things afterwards that you aren't even sure are upgrades is not motivation enough to do it again.

I finished the game with the original 3 characters + Marksmen + Enforcer (the latter chosen out of a 2x2 dps pool..., I wanted extra defensive power)

The Saboteur with additional stagger gear just seems dominate. Its high level abilities are a hard counter to when the game starts using formation and Guarding.
And if you can Break with a single move then do no additional hits on that target, they only use a single charge. I used this to absurdity in the final fight, denying 4/5th attacks of the main threat until I could focus fire.

I am so not sure if this is a hidden mechanic or a bug, but I'm pretty sure that if you have truely stupid amount of stagger enemies can get staggered into missing 2 turns in a row. It happened on single target bursts multiple times.

This does feel like an 8/10 single good run game, winning it felt tense even though I was never in much danger in hindsight. Part of that was 'no reload' stakes, part was unfamiliarity with enemy mechanics. Right now it is packed into a 6/10 runbased package.
What did you do to get to back row enemies who were using threatening moves?

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
What did you do to get to back row enemies who were using threatening moves?

The basic plan was either turn 1 stagger, second round stun with Saboteur if I thought I could clear at least 1 front line enemy.

If I couldn't kill anything in two turns, I considered saving the stun for when I was about to take hp damage.
Then you have to deal with the hit.
Against a bad AoE, everyone defending usually made it hit into shields with some chip damage.
Against a single target attack Taunt + Defend (or quick attack, but always act before getting hit, don't get crit) + restore shields.

Routing encounters seems important. I tried to route as much xp whichever all the Lt's, preferably the permanent shield boost, and fighting the purple enemy on the third day.
I had help because I had encounters that opened up mini areas twice, giving me more xp at the start especially. Because of the heavy scaling this doesn't change the end result much, but it made the end of world 1 and start of 2 easier.
I was 10/8/8/8/7 on the final boss. That 10 was because of a level 10 gun. Turns out the Saboteur capstone is really good....

I definitely favored passive shield recovery items (the helmet line) and stagger weapons. I didn't engage with armor much.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way I can actually force myself to camp? The rest of the zones are blocked, I still have one charge left, and the only remaining area is fighting the behemoth lol. Do you actually camp before the new zone if you still have charges?

edit - starting the behemoth zone gives you a camping scene.

Last edited:

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing this after hearing about it on Waypoint Radio! Question about the way the stagger system works - does it matter the order that attacks run in? For example, if a heavy attack would have been a Break for the enemy's turn, but another character attacks earlier with an attack that does less stagger, will the enemy hit their stagger limit and not get staggered that turn? Or if I select the heavy attack first and it tells me it's going to break their turn, and then select the lighter attack that wouldn't have broken the turn, will the enemy then reach their stagger limit from the earlier attack and the break shown in the timeline is just innacurate?

Also, how do the stagger numbers work? It seems like a lot of the time, an enemy will have 2 stagger limits and the icon seems to indicate that the delay will make their limit go down to 1, but after their turn is broken they're at 0 during the next turn. Is it just impossible to break an enemy two turns in a row, and that's why it's happening?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
If the enemy stagger is at 2, there's only so much you can do to delay their turn.

Time for a shitty explanation from what I understand of it. Timeline (TL) is 60 seconds. Enemy has stagger 2, his turn is at 45 seconds. Your three attacks cause 30s of stagger, which breaks him, his count becomes 0 (can't be delayed again while at 0), and his next turn will be at 15s, stagger 0. Next turn that stagger count will refresh.
Sometimes enemies start at a higher stagger count, and (I could be wrong) you can either use attacks that don't reduce stagger or just play defensive. Next turn, the stagger count goes up. Let's say the boss has stagger 8. If you attacks cause enough stagger, you can break them back across multiple TLs.

There are just some things that annoy me so far though, weird UI shit, lack of explanations on other things. Like some of the debuffs.

Shield giving abilities to allies. There are occasions where I'm hovering over someone to shield, but the UI says I'm reducing their armor and or hp too. Sometimes it even kills them, or even the Archon/Aegis. And I don't think it's due to an incoming enemy attack.

And on the topic of attacks, it isn't always clear when an enemy is doing an AOE. And if you're using Aegis and use the skill that defends the whole group, and you block an AOE attack, Aegis eats the whole thing.

My Aegis died early on in the third behemoth fight because of that AOE shit while I was defending the whole group. She instantly popped. Eventually just didn't have enough damage to kill the boss.

Omnicent

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Wow, just unlocked progeny thats not listed in any of the guides. This is on some FE tier stuff
The progeny of Aegis+Enforcer with the Marksmnan gave me 2, Sephi Kur and Rath Chanlo. I'm going to be playing this forever to unlock everything.

Oct 25, 2017
My first group beat the entire thing. And my second group... just started having issues on the 2nd planet and could not overcome the behemoths armor let alone extra attacks.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always impressed with modern games mixing pixel art in 3D space with lighting and/or depth effects. I have no interest in roguelikes but feel like trying this for the visuals and sci-fi setting alone.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Game is definitely tough the first few runs until you figure out combat flow. The rogue lite elements are pretty BS though. Unlocked gear needs to be activated and you can only activate one at a time so im failing to understand the point of having multiple unlocks. (REALLY FRUSTRATING) You unlock additional starting characters as you defeat mini-bosses and gather intel.

That makes it sound like it's simply not a progression-based rogue, so instead of becoming more powerful (like Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells, Hades, etc) you just unlock options (like FTL, Into the Breach, arguably Enter the Gungeon, many traditional roguelikes, etc.).