• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Glad he took his name back, him and Chloe Bennett are too examples of them having to whitewash themselves to get any Hollywood gigs, hopefully things change for the better

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So one of the reasons that he was turned down was because they were afraid to have a Latino play a white character because it would be seen as a diversity play and cause a backlash?

That confuses me.

Oct 25, 2017
So one of the reasons that he was turned down was because they were afraid to have a Latino play a white character because it would be seen as a diversity play and cause a backlash?

That confuses me.

I think it's worse than that even. Back when Primal Fear came out, posters and newspaper ads were a huge part of how a movie was marketed. Seems like they didn't want to dirty up their poster with a hispanic name because they didn't want to "confuse" folks.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Man after watching every episode of Psych I can't imagine him in a role with themes as serious as Primal Fear.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Well they don't really look alike to me and with the completely different names no one would fault you for not knowing.

He looks a hell of a lot like his dad when they around similar ages. You can see both Emilio and Charlie in his face, but more one than the other depending on the era and I guess angles.

young-martin-sheen-in-gray-t-shirt-photo-u2

I had no idea they were related either when I was younger, but then I didn't really know who Martin Sheen was back then either. Just Charlie.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
How are they gonna turn around and have him audition for the role of Hector purely based on his name?

Also the Hector dudes name is Italian af ironically

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Makes it more impressive that Emilio Estevez has always been Emilio Estevez instead of taking the Sheen stage name like his father Martin and brother Charlie.

I am happy Emilio was able to keep his name, and I wish that it was able to open more doors for other actors, but I imagine he had a lot of protection being Martin's son that other people with Spanish last names don't have. I mean, it's not like Francis Ford Coppola didn't know who Emilio was when he cast him in The Outsiders.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Damn I love Primal Fear and I love James Roday Rodriguez. But I probably love Psych way more. That's fucked up but not all surprising to hear that that happened. People are shitty and Hollywood is especially fucked up with image and expectation. Glad he's comfortable and in place where he can be himself. Can't wait to watch Lassie Come Home tonight. I miss the show dearly but love that they're keeping it alive with these films. Hope they do well and can continue to make them for years to come.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Just watched the new Psych movie like an hour ago and noticed that they added the Rodriguez in the opening credits. Was both surprised and pleased to see that they added it so quickly.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Psych never should have ended. They should do Psych for thirty years.

Slayven You hear about Pluto?

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I've watched a better modern actor with such sharp comedic timing and delivery as James. So happy for him, it must feel like redemption after all the hard work and then landing Psych and then A Million Little Things.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the new Psych movie like an hour ago and noticed that they added the Rodriguez in the opening credits. Was both surprised and pleased to see that they added it so quickly.
I don't think they added it after the fact--the intent was to debut the name with the movie.

R2RD

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 6, 2018
This is the same reason why Bruno Mars doesn't use his last name and instead uses Mars. For those that don't know his last name is Hernandez and his father is from Puerto rico.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
He did what so many minorities have been doing since they arrived in the US.
This ain't nothing new but what is, is reclaiming your heritage and not giving a damn. Props to him.

I have the opposite "problem."
My last name is German Ashkenazi Jewish. My great great grandfather emigrated from Germany to Mexico during the late 1800s. My hair is nappy, my skin is bronze and I speak Spanish and German. I love turning up to job interviews and watching the shock on white peoples' faces. Never get tired of it. Its obvious why they called for an interview but to see that they can't back out of it AND see that I'm qualified....

Last edited:

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else watch Psych 2 today? Helll, I didn't even realise they were making another one, so it was a pleasant suprise to find out this morning :)

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I love Primal Fear and I love James Roday Rodriguez. But I probably love Psych way more. That's fucked up but not all surprising to hear that that happened. People are shitty and Hollywood is especially fucked up with image and expectation. Glad he's comfortable and in place where he can be himself. Can't wait to watch Lassie Come Home tonight. I miss the show dearly but love that they're keeping it alive with these films. Hope they do well and can continue to make them for years to come.
Lassie Come Home is TONIGHT!?!? WHERE???

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
He did what so many minorities have been doing since they arrived in the US.
This ain't nothing new but what is, is reclaiming your heritage and not giving a damn. Props to him.

I have the opposite "problem."
My last name is German Ashkenazi Jewish. My great great grandfather emigrated from Germany to Mexico during the late 1800s. My hair is nappy, my skin is bronze and I speak Spanish and German. I love turning up to job interviews and watching the shock on white peoples' faces. Never get tired of it. Its obvious why they called for an interview but to see that they can't back out of it AND see that I'm qualified....

My sister in law has the same situation. She is Jamaican but both her first and last name make people think Jewish European. She's had some fuckin stories.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Great for him.

There are lots of people who hide their hispanic names to avoid discrimination. Even in France, there's Jean Reno. His real name is Juan Moreno y Herrera Jiménez. Mouthful but much cooler than generic "Jean Reno", I think.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of that quip he made to Gus:

"Gus, don't be the only black lead on a major cable network".

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Mexican on paper and a "white dude" in real life. I'd have to change my name completely to avoid anything like racial bias in hiring. I ain't doing that shit.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I can't think of many other actors that never really hit the big time but are that funny.
Hope he gets a proper shot at some point.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of many other actors that never really hit the big time but are that funny.
Hope he gets a proper shot at some point.

For some reason Rainn Wilson comes to mind. He's been in a few things but nothing major since The Office, at least from what I recall.

obviously he's not a minority.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
For some reason Rainn Wilson comes to mind. He's been in a few things but nothing major since The Office, at least from what I recall.

obviously he's not a minority.
I think even Rainn Wilson had a moment. If you said the name James Roday (before he changed it) out of the blue it would take me a while to remember who he was. Rainn Wilson I know who you mean. And I think I like James more lol. Thats what I mean.