• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I'm definitely buying this.

If they ever do 2, I hope they unlolify Rena. I fucking hated her redesign in the PSP rerelease.

edit: wait wait wait, are they reredoing the art for this one? Meaning the character design will be different from its PSP release?

Yes. We can hope that a financial success of this one will mean that they'll do the same to SO2 and make a "R" version of that as well.

Totally agreed about Rena. Looks like a little baby.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I'm curious as to why they didn't just wait 2 weeks to announce this at E3.

I've never played a star ocean before, but have heard they're fun so I'll look into this!

Dec 23, 2018
Putting those gacha bucks to work

e- Oh wait no its a remaster of the PSP version? Here I thought they were going to make it 3d and its just them using Anamnesis models

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I'm curious as to why they didn't just wait 2 weeks to announce this at E3.

I've never played a star ocean before, but have heard they're fun so I'll look into this!

Today (or yesterday) was the annual Star Ocean FES with announcements, merchandise, food, and a badass live performance by Motoi Sakuraba & his band.

Nice art goes a long way maybe.

True. And maybe people have been craving those tri-ace PSP/PS1 games, so announcing a SO2 port or even a Valkyrie Profile 1 port would gather similar hype.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Is it a bit sad(?) that Star Ocean will probably release on Switch before Grandia?
That's what it feels like at least.

EDIT: To clarity my post. I know Grandia is coming to the Switch, and it was a joke about Star Ocean probably being released before Grandia. Even if Grandia was announced way back.

Last edited:

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OOh looks like they are going for the Mobile game in terms of art direction. I hope the R means its a complete remake with 3D graphics.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I just replayed through the whole series and yet I can't wait to play this game again, though I hope they tone down the encounter rate.

God I love this series. I can't wait till I have thread privileges so I can tell you all how much I love SO3 and it's stupid dumb dumb amazing plot twist!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I loved playing this game on the PSP and I would love to play it again. I remember being incredibly surprised that a game named Star Ocean, was such a pure fantasy game with only a little sci-fi.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I loved playing this game on the PSP and I would love to play it again. I remember being incredibly surprised that a game named Star Ocean, was such a pure fantasy game with only a little sci-fi.

This is actually one of my favorite aspects of the series. I really love seeing how the pure fantasy gets effected by the introduction of sci-di influences little by little.

Also, Square please fix those weird crashes in the ps4 version of so3.

what's the expected price? i'd be in at $20, maybe $30, but anything higher, i'm not sure.

I think it depends on how much of a remake this is. If it's the psp version I would expect it to be cheaper but who knows?

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
SO1 is my least favorite in the series to be honest (totally serious), so kinda meh about this. Art is much better though.

OOh looks like they are going for the Mobile game in terms of art direction. I hope the R means its a complete remake with 3D graphics.

The Japanese article says it's an HD port of the PSP remake, so it's probably just going to have redone art, cleaner sprites, etc.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! Despite owning First Departure on PSP, I have yet to play it. I did play Second Evolution, which was one of my favorite PS1 games, so I HAD to play the PSP version, though.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SO1 is my least favorite in the series to be honest (totally serious), so kinda meh about this. Art is much better though.

The Japanese article says it's an HD port of the PSP remake, so it's probably just going to have redone art, cleaner sprites, etc.
Either way hype.

The update to the 2nd game can't come soon enough.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
b85b42e56d761f7c8da2cb098d274633.jpg

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
The article in the op definitely makes this sound like an he port. It wouldn't be too hard to add in new art. I'm wondering though what they will do with the anime cutscenes since the art styles would no longer match up.

I hope they can bring all the games to switch, that would be the bee's knees.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted to play this on PSP, but had waited for a digital version. Looks like they held back on the digital version for a reason!

Anyways, as long as it's not 6,000 yen or something, Day one.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Star Ocean is the one SE franchise that I've never touched, so this would interest me greatly.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Teases some new features too, so it's going to be more than an up-res with those and new art.

This article too mentions possible new additions as well as various preparations for the fans happiness.

https://automaton-media.com/articles/newsjp/20180525-92815/

It also clarifies the announcement from Star Ocean Fes that they're making the first title's PSP version into HD because of new fans who might be interested in the series coming from Star Ocean Anamnesis, as well as old fans with renewed interest. SO1 was chosen because it doesn't have any digital version (SO2's PSP version is available digitally in Japan).

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely picking this up. I enjoyed the PSP version. Hopefully they "remaster" the second game.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Since I already beat this game on SNES and on PSP, I am more excited abotu the potential of the second game being released digitally. I still haven't got around to beating it yet.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Played it and SO2 on PSP and really enjoyed them, so might pick this up. Really nice art!

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Very happy to see a confirmed English release.

Maybe if this sells well enough they'll localise the port of 2 as well.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I hope sales are decent to justify a SO 2, 3 and maybe 4 port to Switch, i own the Vita versions of SO 1 and 2 but will double buy on Switch

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will definitely buy!

I really wanna know who's doing the art for this, cause it's really great. I always felt the PSP remasters went too far into the Tales of territory with their art and it just didn't feel right, or even look right for some characters.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god yes. Playing this on Switch will be a dream come true. I'm definitely in.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Oh shit confirmed for the West? Yes! Buy this humans so we can get the 2nd one as well.

The wording from the Fes implies that they're doing this one because there isn't really a digital version of the fist game available in Japan. Who knows though, perhaps since the digital version of SO2 really is just a psp port they might go back to it if this remaster sells well and add in the "new additions."

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. Isn't this essentially set for a Western release then?? Really excited for this.

Not to jump the gun, but will grab asap for Switch *if* it's at 60fps. Otherwise, PS4.
What's with this posturing? Isn't Star Ocean an RPG? I don't recall the lack of 60fps to be a dealbreaker for Final Fantasy XII...

Time to build up cash for my next Switch game.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Will definitely buy!

I really wanna know who's doing the art for this, cause it's really great. I always felt the PSP remasters went too far into the Tales of territory with their art and it just didn't feel right, or even look right for some characters.

Katsumi Enami. I recognized the art from Ys Seven, a lot of people I know recognize it from Zero/Ao no Kiseki.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Will definitely buy!

FormatCompatible was the first to point out on page on that its Katsumi Enami (Star Ocean 4, Ys Seven, Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki).

Edit: ^Fuck

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love the new art. Glad to see the series isn't totally dead yet. Despite how messy it can be at times I still have affection for it.