• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Around 39:47 of this interview, Adam Conover says CollegeHumor was working with Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo on a Fantastic Mr. Fox-style Star Fox claymation project. But it was cancelled after word leaked of a action Netflix Zelda series.

And Nintendo was so annoyed by the leaks they decided to cancel their IP adaptations including the Star Fox and Zelda projects. (Also you should watch the discussion on Prop 22 and labor rights that occurs right after this.)

I believe Adam also mentioned this on an episode of his own podcast Factually a while back. Or maybe it was one of his appearances on Waypoint Radio? A detail he mentioned then was that Netflix intentionally leaked the Zelda show to create buzz, it wasn't some rogue employee or somebody finding out something they shouldn't have.

Also keep in mind this was in like 2015

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Holy frick, so it was real. Damn, talk about a big tantrum if a leak led to Nintendo canning it for that alone (unless it was more due to the aspect of potentially Netflix themselves being the ones who leaked it, which... would definitely make more sense as a breach of trust)

data

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a valid source?

Like it seems weird they would spend money on a project and cancel due to an unrelated leak

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like there is more to the story, I just don't understand why Nintendo would cancel both projects (especially since Zelda leaked and not the Starfox project) because of a leak.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I believe Adam also mentioned this on an episode of his own podcast Factually a while back. Or maybe it was one of his appearances on Waypoint Radio? A detail he mentioned then was that Netflix intentionally leaked the Zelda show to create buzz, it wasn't some rogue employee or somebody finding out something they shouldn't have.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, Nintendo is fucking serious about leaks, huh?

I hope they don't come to my house and take back all the games whose source code leaked last year.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's so stupid on both sides.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel like there is more to the story, I just don't understand why Nintendo would cancel both projects (especially since Zelda leaked and not the Starfox project) because of a leak.

I agree.... for one, these projects seem high cost and ...kinda high risk. Frankly, they probably spared themselves a big headache.
But this is really lame news anyways. :/

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

If this is the case... I kind of get it? You let them work with one of your most prestigious IPs and the first thing they do is leak its existence? Not a great start to a partnership.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
What if Star Fox Grand Prix was real and Nintendo scrapped it because it leaked

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Weird, like it's not like details or footage ever came out. Just that there was a rumor that it existed.

If they had that reaction every time there were leaks they'd have not released a bunch of things.

On the surface seems Nintendo is extremely petty or just wanted an excuse not to pursue the projects.

Roliq

â–² Legend â–²
Sep 23, 2018
Wow so both sides are dumb but more on Nintendo, like most people don't care about something being leaked

Edit, honestly now i see that it was just Netflix being shitty, don't know the point of risking that considering that people would have been excited regardless

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
even if this case might not be true, Nintendo is VERY serious about leaks. It's basically breach of trust

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if they cancelled every game that leaked before they announced it in a direct...
This is so fucking stupid yet totally unexpected from Nintendo.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
If the leak was intentional on Netflix's part, that's a serious enough breach of trust that I can kinda understand reacting like that.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEraâ„¢ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
that's pretty fucking dumb of netflix

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Hope we can figure out which episode it was. This is an interesting wrinkle.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Doing that without talking to Nintendo is dumb given how protective they are of their properties.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Well shit, if it was intentionally done by Netflix, it would make sense why they decided to cut their losses. DO you have a link to the podcast?

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if they cancelled every game that leaked before they announced it in a direct...
This is so fucking stupid yet totally unexpected from Nintendo.
Well most games that leak before announcement are already in full development whereas I'm guessing this was still in early talks.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I can't believe people are calling Nintendo petty. If it's true Netflix leaked intentionally Nintendo has every right to stop the project to which their IP is attached. The pressure on a project like that after a leak must be immense. Plus, it's a pretty big breach of trust in a partnership.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So why wasn't Mario/Rabbids scrapped?

Edit: Ok with the Netflix leaking it on purpose thing it makes more sense.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

If the leak came from Netflix itself then I can understand why Nintendo didn't want to continue working with them.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yes. People really expect a Zelda live action project not to have a shitton of discretion contracts, of course breaking these would immediately endanger the partnership and work, which also, very likely, is stated exactly like this within the contractual environment.
This is an issue with the contract partners not honoring their part of the deal, not with Nintendo.

(Well, presumably the Netflix part of the news. Seems like the Claymation project was just a wrong place, wrong time thing they couldn't do anything about)

Wow so both sides are dumb but more on Nintendo, like most people don't care about something being leaked
I can assure you, people who set up legal contracts to stop exactly this from happening do care. This is not a "but the fans" thing, this is corporate trust and contractual obligations.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
That Netflix Zelda series was in super early talks and didn't even have a writer attached to it. No script. No script treatment. No outline. No jot notes on a torn-out page of a notebook. It was literally nothing.

Netflix: "Hey Nintendo, can we make a Zelda series?"
Nintendo: "Sure, maybe. We'll think about it."

-series leaks via anonymous source on WSJ blog post-

Nintendo: "Hmm, nah."

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
If the leak was intentional on Netflix's part, that's a serious enough breach of trust that I can kinda understand reacting like that.
Screams more about their ignorance to the realities of the entertainment industry than anything. "Leaking" info is a perfectly viable to way to garner attention. Happens all the time, including drumming up casting buzz.

Show was most likely not to far in production where cutting losses wouldn't be too much as if they had actors and actresses casted, sets, locations, scripts, etc.

Where as when and if a game gets leaked it could be months or a year away from release and much more costly to just outright cancel at that point.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
if i had to make a guess, the projects weren't that far along and that's why they could cancel them easily. losses in that situation would be lower than canceling something near completion or at 50%.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017

Edit: Ok with the Netflix leaking it on purpose thing it makes more sense.
Much easier to bin something that was only in a theoretical state than a game that is a few years into development.

Especially if all of this was just in the "talks" phase, where each company is assessing whether they want to enter a business relationship with each other.

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
'Netflix just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is Nintendo after hearing about this, is not going to want to continue production of this show, nor will they continue with CollegeHumor's project. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Netflix has alienated an entire company with this move.
Nintendo, publicly apologize and rescind this leak or you can kiss your business goodbye.'
😄
On a serious note this is a real shame as I think theres a lot of potential for a TV series or movie based on any one of the Zelda games or other Nintendo franchises.