• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What does go into the budget then?

Well without knowing exactly :
  • Salaries for project personnel
  • Licenses
  • Servers
  • % of overhead total cost (I know we did this in non-game related projects)
  • Outsourced contractors cost
But this is a bit more special since this is the only game they have they the only service they have so a bit unclear in that regard. But take a larger developer that have several dev. teams, there you have seperate budget cost for each project ongoing.

To also get a check of the cost, they should, at least, have budget for each major part as well (which alligns with the total budget for the project), like FPS module, persitent universe, SQ42 and so on. But that is not really the questions we are talking about I would say.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Gave the free-fly a try, performance isn't the best but I managed to get mostly 30+ FPS outside of dense areas like the plaza and the expo show floor. I can't see myself playing this regularly just yet cause it doesn't feel polished enough, but it feels like it's almost there. I love the contextual interaction system and being able to walk around a show floor of ships like I'm at a car show extremely impressed me. I did get some time in space with the ship the game gives you at the start but I had no idea what to do and the systems weren't all that clear so I just landed back down and explored the plaza a bit more.
Try it again today, but first watch some tutorial how to quantum drive to other planets. I really recommend exploring a system a bit, the performance will just get way better when you'll leave ArcCorp :)

Try also Arena Commander mode called Pirate Swarm to check out the space combat mechanics.
A lot of players make a mistake to only try PU on those free flight events, where its hard for first time player to initialize a combat scenario, the Arena Commander (Pirate Swarm or Vandull Swarm modes) is exactly designed for that, in fast, repeatable manner with good performance.

---
Hmm that's 40€ if RSI uses the same conversion as Google, man do I grab this and a 70€ NVME or not... It's not like I have much time to play SC at the moment but I wanted to buy it anyway at some point and when I have it I have it...
You will want to play SC when it hits 4.0, before that is debatable, so i would recommend buying yourself NVMe on Christmas and just save up till 4.0 :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018
Yes, but normally salary for let say Human Resources employees don't go into the budget of a game since it won't contribute anything to the actual product, hence overhead cost.
Well operating a studio like he said is not only Human Resources is it. And when you only have one product that every bit of money goes towards realizing it gets kind of weird since you can't split cost for anything between different projects or similar since in reality every penny is part of making the product.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well operating a studio like he said is not only Human Resources is it. And when you only have one product that every bit of money goes towards realizing it gets kind of weird since you can't split cost for anything between different projects or similar since in reality every penny is part of making the product.

Yes, exactly, but a established studio, I bet, that realeased it 2nd game would only take the relevant cost into consideration when it comes to the game budget.

But this is more of a special case in that regard.

Dec 8, 2018
Yes, exactly, but a established studio, I bet, that realeased it 2nd game would only take the relevant cost into consideration when it comes to the game budget.

But this is more of a special case in that regard.

Well they are not one there second game or have any other projects so once again I don't understand why you would not include it and the reason why I questioned him saying that operating a studio is not part of the cost of the game.

Now if you also believe that like it seems I don't get why you would question me questioning that statement?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well they are not one there second game or have any other projects so once again I don't understand why you would not include it and the reason why I questioned him saying that operating a studio is not part of the cost of the game.

Now if you also believe that like it seems I don't get why you would question me questioning that statement?

The comparison was vs red dead 2, which most likley only covers the cost of the actual game and not these overhead, that was the initial question here (which game was the most expensive). So to be more accurate we need to, if RDR2 is only regarding game development, only take that into account for SC as well if it is more expensive or not to produce.

Need to compare the same numbers is what I am trying to say.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Star Citizen is literally not playable in a way that can be called stable or fun as of last month. Aspects of it look beyond anyone's imagination but it´s hard to appreciate that if you clip through the floor at random intervals, if basic animation cycles are missing, if NPCs are (mostly) missing, if there is no core gameplay look to contextualize any of it. And the controls, dear lord... But sure, let´s just call me toxic for keeping up with this mess out of technological curiosity.
Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux might as well be the same person to me. They advanced gaming way back when but too much shit went down for me to join any pre-release hype. Wake me up when/if version 1.00 aka. the gold master releases and more importantly Squadron 42 Ep. 1.

Oh yeah. When did the last filming sessions for Squadron 42 (part 1 of at least a trilogy) take place? Mo-cap and the voice-overs won´t age that fast if I consider how thoroughly Cloud Imperium was with their filming by the years are going by... That cast deserves to see the light of day.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm that's 40€ if RSI uses the same conversion as Google, man do I grab this and a 70€ NVME or not... It's not like I have much time to play SC at the moment but I wanted to buy it anyway at some point and when I have it I have it...
Btw, get a 500GB NVME, the game in its current state is already more than 50Gb, and it never hurts to have a bit of unused space on a SSD.

Star Citizen is literally not playable in a way that can be called stable or fun as of last month. Aspects of it look beyond anyone's imagination but it´s hard to appreciate that if you clip through the floor at random intervals, if basic animation cycles are missing, if NPCs are (mostly) missing, if there is no core gameplay look to contextualize any of it. And the controls, dear lord... But sure, let´s just call me toxic for keeping up with this mess out of technological curiosity.
Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux might as well be the same person to me. They advanced gaming way back when but too much shit went down for me to join any pre-release hype. Wake me up when/if version 1.00 aka. the gold master releases and more importantly Squadron 42 Ep. 1.

Oh yeah. When did the last filming sessions for Squadron 42 (part 1 of at least a trilogy) take place? Mo-cap and the voice-overs won´t age that fast if I consider how thoroughly Cloud Imperium was with their filming by the years are going by... That cast deserves to see the light of day.

Are you ok? Looks like you need to vent a bit, might wanna do some sports to release all the anger in a safe way.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux might as well be the same person to me. They advanced gaming way back when but too much shit went down for me to join any pre-release hype. Wake me up when/if they release version 1.00 and more importantly Squadron 42 Ep. 1.

Oh yeah. When did the last filming sessions for Squadron 42 (part 1 of at least a trilogy) take place? Mo-cap and the voice-overs won´t age that fast if I consider how thoroughly Cloud Imperium was with their filming by the years are going by...

Fun is subjective and not a fact. And many many people play this game all the time, so while you might need a more polished product, the game is still in alpha which you said it wasnt.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Try it again today, but first watch some tutorial how to quantum drive to other planets. I really recommend exploring a system a bit, the performance will just get way better when you'll leave ArcCorp :)

Try also Arena Commander mode called Pirate Swarm to check out the space combat mechanics.
A lot of players make a mistake to only try PU on those free flight events, where its hard for first time player to initialize a combat scenario, the Arena Commander (Pirate Swarm or Vandull Swarm modes) is exactly designed for that, in fast, repeatable manner with good performance.
Alright, I'll give Arena Commander a shot, and is there anywhere specific you'd recommend checking out? I had a difficult time figuring out what was on each planet due to the buggy starmap causing things to disappear if I zoomed in.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Wake you up..? No one is forcing you to engage in this thread or any of the SC dev process. You decide your own level of interest.

The game is only in alpha and is experimenting with the most transparent dev process the industry has seen in order to facilitate a new funding model. Many of us really appreciate the sort of deep dive access that gives us into a game's development. I understand it's strange to have heard so much about the game without it being released yet, but that's only as a by-product of this development process. If you take a look at the quality of tech on display right now, let alone the tech still in progress, it's hard to describe this development model as a failure. Not that it stops people from trying to claim that anyway...

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Star Citizen has been in alpha since August 29 2013 fanboi. That doesn't mean that Roberts is using the word by its definition. Here is the wiki one: "Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished." SC Alpha 3.71 is many things but none of those.

And how dare I follow along with a game´s development in a genre I like. Especially as this is the most important PC game since Minecraft, regardless if it comes out or not. How many GameStar cover stories did we go though till today? Sure things are going fine though. Just fine...

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I'll give Arena Commander a shot, and is there anywhere specific you'd recommend checking out? I had a difficult time figuring out what was on each planet due to the buggy starmap causing things to disappear if I zoomed in.
Well there's Area 18 of course, but you can go on some mining facilities to look at some outposts and some R&R (rest & refuel, basically gas stations) posts in space. Then there's the two other cities, one on Hourston and one on another planet which I can't remember the name of right now. I saw a nice picture once where you could see every place you can visit at the moment as of 3.7 and what you can do there, but I don't remember where I saw it.

Also you could come to the Discord (see the OT) and people will gladly show you around :)

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Star Citizen has been in alpha since August 29 2013 fanboi. That doesn't mean that Roberts is using the word by its definition. Here is the wiki one: "Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished." SC Alpha 3.71 is many things but none of those.

And how dare I follow along with a game´s development in a genre I like. Especially as this is the most important PC game since Minecraft, regardless if it comes out or not. How many GameStar cover stories did we go though till today? Sure things are going fine though. Just fine...

Or, also from Wiki:

---
Alpha software is software that is not thoroughly tested by the developer before it is released to customers. Alpha software may contain serious errors, and any resulting instability could cause crashes or data loss.[2] Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version.[3] In general, external availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software, while open source software often has publicly available alpha versions. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete. A beta test is carried out following acceptance testing at the supplier's site (alpha test) and immediately prior to general release of the software as a product.[4]

----

And key gameplay functions are implemented, but far for done, and some gameplay features are not present, ergo, alpha.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Or, also from Wiki:

---
Alpha software is software that is not thoroughly tested by the developer before it is released to customers. Alpha software may contain serious errors, and any resulting instability could cause crashes or data loss.[2] Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version.[3] In general, external availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software, while open source software often has publicly available alpha versions. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete. A beta test is carried out following acceptance testing at the supplier's site (alpha test) and immediately prior to general release of the software as a product.[4]

----

And key gameplay functions are implemented, but far for done, and some gameplay features are not present, ergo, alpha.
I admire your patience

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I admire your patience

I am very tired of shit posting when it comes to this game (like watch the fours first pages, I still can't believe it is allowed to such degree). There is one thing to have general concerns about a games development (which you should have regarding SC), but flat out lies and disinformation is tiresome.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am very tired of shit posting when it comes to this game (like watch the fours first pages, I still can't believe it is allowed to such degree). There is one thing to have general concerns about a games development (which you should have regarding SC), but flat out lies and disinformation is tiresome.
Yeah somehow RSI/Cloud Imperium is the only dev that Era users can bash without restraint.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah somehow RSI/Cloud Imperium is the only dev that Era users can bash without restraint.

I also find it strange, that a gaming forum like this, has such a hate for this game since it actually pushes gaming forward a lot in terms of tech. Sure, I can understand the monetization modell getting bashing, but the actual outcome of that money is great.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GlCNekr.gif

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I also find it strange, that a gaming forum like this, has such a hate for this game since it actually pushes gaming forward a lot in terms of tech. Sure, I can understand the monetization modell getting bashing, but the actual outcome of that money is great.
Yeah exactly. SC is the game I always wanted to play, it's like a dream come true and I don't mind if it takes some more years to get right and it's absolutely understandable that it can't be done without some money to push the boundaries of game dev.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Try to localize some outposts and get a mission that gets you to caves. Also check in on some day where some ground vehicles are available, so you can explore the planets/moon from the ground perspective :)
There are tons tutorials on yt for that ('how to get a cave mission', 'how to find outpost') etc :)

---
This is the image Kwigo was talking about:

2CqVPZW.png

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Well there's Area 18 of course, but you can go on some mining facilities to look at some outposts and some R&R (rest & refuel, basically gas stations) posts in space. Then there's the two other cities, one on Hourston and one on another planet which I can't remember the name of right now. I saw a nice picture once where you could see every place you can visit at the moment as of 3.7 and what you can do there, but I don't remember where I saw it.

Also you could come to the Discord (see the OT) and people will gladly show you around :)
Thanks, I'll definitely join the discord the next time I play, starting to get real tired right now. I did a bit of Arena Commander and had no idea what I was doing and tbh none of the info panels make sense at first glance, need to look up a tutorial that goes more in-depth than the basic ones on the site.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I'll definitely join the discord the next time I play, starting to get real tired right now. I did a bit of Arena Commander and had no idea what I was doing and tbh none of the info panels make sense at first glance, need to look up a tutorial that goes more in-depth than the basic ones on the site.
It's actually quite easy once you start to know your keybindings and the general concept of how to fly in this game ! But it definitely absolutely needs some getting used to. That why I'm glad to be playing right now already, to get used to the controls before you get actually punished for playing badly :)

Also as told by KKRT there are a LOT of youtube tutorials. I'd definitely recommend one on how to fly. Even better if you got 2 screens to try out the stuff in real time while the video explains what's what.

EDIT: Ah, thanks for the image !! Boss should link to it in the OT as well for new players :)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I start downloading the game, pleasantly surprised it's only 12GB. After that's done I'm hit with a 45GB download lol. I need faster interwebs. :/ Is every update to this game massive or just a one time deal?

I'm more curious to know how it's gonna run my low-end-ish spec machine, with a 570 and a four core CPU. At least I got a SSD.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I start downloading the game, pleasantly surprised it's only 12GB. After that's done I'm hit with a 45GB download lol. I need faster interwebs. :/ Is every update to this game massive or just a one time deal?

I'm more curious to know how it's gonna run my low-end-ish spec machine, with a 570 and a four core CPU. At least I got a SSD.
They switched last year I think to a delta patcher, so once you got the first instal down, you'll only be downloading new stuff. Of course it can happen that they changed a lot of stuff so you might be redownloading a lot depending on the content of the patch. But at least you don't have to DL the whole alpha again from scratch like before :)

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, threads about the game are basically unmoderated. Weird exception with no explanation.

Yeah. I got a warning for mocking Apple fan boys the other day (two weeks after posting even). I think they deserve it but fair enough. Won't do it again. Yet, mocking SC fans is otherwise perfectly fine. Go figure.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018

Why does Chris seemingly insist on directing the demo on the showfloor? Shouldn't he be doing that up in a booth somewhere and he feeds the commentary to someone on the stage? These demos always look great but every time he tries to micromanage one of these streams it just feels so amateurish.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. I got a warning for mocking Apple fan boys the other day (two weeks after posting even). I think they deserve it but fair enough. Won't do it again. Yet, mocking SC fans is otherwise perfectly fine. Go figure.
Because there are clear, legitimate issues with the development of the game that should be discussed in a non-shitposting fashion and a lock down police behaviour simply allows those issue to hide behind the wall. I agree that the bait posting is just annoying because I have to scroll through the crap to actually find out what is currently in the game and what is still yet to be delivered on something that arguably many say is in "alpha" yet it also struggles to have the alpha actually function like one. These legitimate discussions are null and void when you have people coming in and going "lul release date 2059 lul" or some other crap.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Because there are clear, legitimate issues with the development of the game that should be discussed in a non-shitposting fashion and a lock down police behaviour simply allows those issue to hide behind the wall. I agree that the bait posting is just annoying because I have to scroll through the crap to actually find out what is currently in the game and what is still yet to be delivered on something that arguably many say is in "alpha" yet it also struggles to have the alpha actually function like one. These legitimate discussions are null and void when you have people coming in and going "lul release date 2059 lul" or some other crap.

Yeah, I totally agree. There a both sides to the discussion when it comes to this game that should be discussed. But shitposting and flat out lies are tiresome.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think all of our SC enthusiasts will gladly discuss the development in a civil manner, and we know that there are issues.
But it's so easy to shitpost about SC on Era that it's just a hassle. There are actually very interesting and constructive discussions on the discord.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge star citizen follower, I've followed the main stories and usually every year the various highlights they have shown. I remember its initial pitch and it seems to have ballooned from there.

I just want the game to come out because I love the idea of it but does anyone know what the final cutoff of features will be?

My impression is every year more and more tech and features get thrown in , but I want to know what the devs consider the end?

How many planets are fully modelled as they show?, is there a story (squadron 42 is a seperate campaign right ?), what is the ultimate goal of the game ? When is the expected release date?

This is not a shitpost , I generally want to know what the end game will be as the tech ,designs etc really interest me .

Thanks

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
There's always something technically impressive coming out of CitizenCon but these demos never look like a fun game to play.

I think it really depends what you are looking for in a game. If you want scripted stuff and feeling like the hero and center of the world, then maybe Squadron 42 will be more interesting to you.

I just want to be a little guy in a living world, making my own path with my spaceship. SC is exactly what I'm looking for.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm not a huge star citizen follower, I've followed the main stories and usually every year the various highlights they have shown. I remember its initial pitch and it seems to have ballooned from there.

I just want the game to come out because I love the idea of it but does anyone know what the final cutoff of features will be?

My impression is every year more and more tech and features get thrown in , but I want to know what the devs consider the end?

How many planets are fully modelled as they show?, is there a story (squadron 42 is a seperate campaign right ?), what is the ultimate goal of the game ? When is the expected release date?

This is not a shitpost , I generally want to know what the end game will be as the tech ,designs etc really interest me .

Thanks

This is a good post and not a shit post, so no worries :)

Regarding features and cutoffs, I think they have stated that this is currently the case, while adding some minor stuff along the way (while avoiding larger stuff) IIRC.

Squadron 42 is the SP game that will have a story (split up in three parts) where each part is as long as a standard game. In the MMO game, well that is more up to you, join an org, play against other orgs or just play for yourself, building your plot of land or making your way in the galaxy.

Release date? SQ42 Beta is coming Q3 next year (?) and the MMO... well that is some year away I think.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

No one knows yet, it might even evolve after release 1.0
See above
As of now there are 5 planets fully modelled I think, plus a dozen moons, but none of them are really complete. There is some lore that will shape the game (as in: politics, economics, races the humans are at war with, etc.) but not like a real story that you need to follow. The goal is to have a functionning space simulation, up to you to decide what you do in it. No one knows when release 1.0 will come out.

Thanks
Hope this helps.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game runs seriously awful on my 4670k/570, and for some reason took over a minute to load on my SSD. And there's non-existent on-boarding on top of that. I'm not sure why they're offering a free look at this game in this state.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game runs seriously awful on my 4670k/570, and for some reason took over a minute to load on my SSD. And there's non-existent on-boarding on top of that. I'm not sure why they're offering a free look at this game in this state.
yeah 570 seems a bit low for SC tbh. I get around 30fps with a GTX1060 3GB

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
yeah 570 seems a bit low for SC tbh. I get around 30fps with a GTX1060 3GB
My 570 is supposedly on par with the 1060. Oh well, whatever. I'll try playing the game again in the future, when it's a proper game experience, and probably on a different PC. :P

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My 570 is supposedly on par with the 1060. Oh well, whatever. I'll try playing the game again in the future, when it's a proper game experience, and probably on a different PC. :P
Oh really? That seems weird.
But yeah SC needs quite some resources to be playable, that's for sure.