• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
Looking forward to watching. I'll have to get up at 5am on a Saturday but i'm up for the challenge.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, have they mentioned how many systems they plan for SC to have? Will it be like Elite Dangerous where they'll procedurally generate an entire galaxy, or will the scope be smaller in order to maintain more depth?

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
Im most excited to see how they are coming along with server side object container streaming, and what big features they are going to try and tackle for 2020.

Also, jump points.

What I really would like is a deep dive into what the hell is going on with AI? The AI is still dogshit, and I'm not really buying that everything will be fixed with SSOCS. This game has a ton riding on intelligent AI, and right now it's not even at Unreal Tournament levels. I want them to be frank on where they stand, and some actual video of good AI.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh, have they mentioned how many systems they plan for SC to have? Will it be like Elite Dangerous where they'll procedurally generate an entire galaxy, or will the scope be smaller in order to maintain more depth?

This is kind of where it gets tricky with the long development time and developing technological possibilities.
The original idea was to just have these hero locations on planets as the only places you could visit.
At that point, they envisioned they would be able to get around 100 systems in, with a few planets per system, some more, some less.
Once the tech grew to having entire planets playable, this goal became nigh impossible within a reasonable timeframe, just on account of the amount of work that has to be done for all these planets to be filled with interesting content. The playspace is just enormous, and an incredible amount larger than the original scope of the game.
So they have been working on systems to make this content creation go faster.
The first system we are in now, is a relatively varied one, so hopefully that will help in fleshing out other, less varied systems more quickly.
The end goal as far as I know is still 100 systems, there is a star map you can visit here to see how it should all pan out.

Just know that I don't forsee all those systems in the game for quite some time. I think that having several varied systems should give us enough playspace to last us quite some time though, permitting the gameplay is interesting.

Last edited:

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I just want SQ42.

I am glad I got my money back years ago, but I genuinely want to be proven wrong with SQ42.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of where it gets tricky with the long development time and developing technological possibilities.
The original idea was to just have these hero locations on planets as the only places you could visit.
At that point, they envisioned they would be able to get around 100 systems in, with a few planets per system, some more, some less.
Once the tech grew to having entire planets playable, this goal became nigh impossible within a reasonable timeframe, just on account of the amount of work that has to be done for all these planets to be filled with interesting content. The playspace is just enormous, and an incredible amount larger than the original scope of the game.
So they have been working on systems to make this content creation go faster.
The first system we are in now, is a relatively varied one, so hopefully that will help in fleshing out other, less varied systems more quickly.
The end goal as far as I know is still 100 systems, there is a star map you can visit here to see how it should all pan out.

Just know that I don't forsee all those systems in the game for quite some time. I think that having several varied systems should give us enough playspace to last us quite some time though, permitting the gameplay is interesting.
I'm willing to deal with a smaller scope of planets and systems if each system is going to be fleshed out to the detail we've been seeing. I just hope exploration isn't compromised in the process, but I'll see what happens. Very excited to see what comes out of the keynote.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Having skepticism about this game is a good attitude to have.

The planets are procedurally generated at runtime, they are fully circumnavigable. There are hero locations on planets that are designed. It's a mix of both in the end.

What design issues are you specifically asking about?
You've partially answered my question. I think. I was wondering how procedural generation for planets interacts with what seems to be partially scripted gameplay design. How do you make planets worth exploring?

The idea of fleshed out limited destinations on a huge, real-planet-scale world seems like a reasonable solution. Proof's in the pudding, of course.

I hope they make some planets that are multi-biome. I think the sci-fi "desert planet/forest planet/water planet" thing is played out.

Though I am "cautiously pessimistic" it would be awesome if they could deliver something this ambitious. I'm not sure I think it's the most likely of all outcomes, but it's what I hope happens.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You've partially answered my question. I think. I was wondering how procedural generation for planets interacts with what seems to be partially scripted gameplay design. How do you make planets worth exploring?

The idea of fleshed out limited destinations on a huge, real-planet-scale world seems like a reasonable solution. Proof's in the pudding, of course.

I hope they make some planets that are multi-biome. I think the sci-fi "desert planet/forest planet/water planet" thing is played out.

Though I am "cautiously pessimistic" it would be awesome if they could deliver something this ambitious. I'm not sure I think it's the most likely of all outcomes, but it's what I hope happens.
Eventually(in the far off future), players will be allowed to build their own buildings and outposts on planets, so a good portion of that explorability will be player driven.

Good news about the multi-biome thing, they've already done it with Hurston. Maybe not "tundra, forest, jungle, desert" levels, but still recognizably diverse.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
Consolidated Outland mid tier ship plz
During a sponsored by Anvil Aerospace convention? I also sure hope so.

Somehow things have worked out perfectly for me to view the live stream. Between having a scheduled appointment in the morning and a social event later that night, there should be plenty of time between the two events.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they make some planets that are multi-biome. I think the sci-fi "desert planet/forest planet/water planet"

That's already the case with the first planet they introduced. You have rocky desert biomes, savanah biomes, "junkyards" biomes and oceans on the planet Hurston and maybe some other stuff that i'm forgetting. It's a "hot" and heavily polluted planet so there's a theme. But it's not a one note planet like a Tatooine for instance. Moons are more or less just one thing but they are moons, that's to be expected.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
"Here's a thread about yet another conference for a singular, highly problematic and controversial game that has a reputation for being a money pit and from a studio that burns its people out with crunch."

*people post about these problems*

Fans of the game:
Yup that's exactly what's happening, no drive by shitpost or inflammatory exageration and generalisation.

Stopmotionkai

Oct 26, 2017
I Just got a reclaimer and found out the Pilot cant shoot anymore, which is lame so I Hope the carrack is worth upgrading too.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the thread, will watch the stream.
Last year we saw some very nice presentations, cannot wait to see the improvements to tech.

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
Excited to watch this. I haven't kept up with star citizen for a while so I hope they do some sort of recap of the past year.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
tomorrow we'll see the new planettech v4 and maybe the volumetric clouds.

hopefully we'll see the carrack and the pyro system. And of course a new SQ42 trailer and/or another demo. Maybe more Idris (or this time a Bengal Carrier?) gameplay.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
tomorrow we'll see the new planettech v4 and maybe the volumetric clouds.

hopefully we'll see the carrack and the pyro system. And of course a new SQ42 trailer and/or another demo. Maybe more Idris (or this time a Bengal Carrier?) gameplay.

The Bengal seems unlikely. But the Javelin is another possibility. And it's a ship a few people actually owns.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Really, people wanting to see SQ42 on this stream are going to come away disappointed I fear.
Most likely they'll save the SQ42 stuff for the december livestream. There may be like a small teaser or smth, but most likely nothing too in depth.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I haven't played this since v2 came out and was buggy AF. All these years later, my PC is definitely too lightweight. I'm wondering how next gen console games would measure up and if there would ever be a port of SQ42.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played this since v2 came out and was buggy AF. All these years later, my PC is definitely too lightweight. I'm wondering how next gen console games would measure up and if there would ever be a port of SQ42.
What PC do you have? I can run it with a 3GB GTX1060.
Also the current version is really really stable and rather smooth.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I mean if you already got access to it, not harm in DLing the latest version and trying it out :)
There is that, but every time ended in disappointment, performance-wise. I do have an SSD but I doubt I have the space available for it what must be a massive install, either. Happy to just see how it is coming along and dive into again when gfx tech moves up a gen in 2021.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Trolling, hostility
WTF is this? And how is it any of your business?

Because the funding for this game is essentially a MLM scam.

The people with the most shit in the toilet are usually the people proselytising the loudest.

If feel sorry for the mugs spending more than the average cost of a game for a product that, if it ever comes out, won't even be as good as Tie Fighter.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The people with the most shit in the toilet are usually the people proselytising the loudest.

If feel sorry for the mugs spending more than the average cost of a game for a product that, if it ever comes out, won't even be as good as Tie Fighter.
Ok Boomer

Or you could simply not post in Star Citizen threads. We know what we got ourselves into.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

What is it with SC threads and shit posters? Like moths to a flame...

As someone who backed the original Kickstarter campaign for £30 and hasn't paid a penny more since then (sorry if my existence ruins your theory), I'm still insanely excited to see what they showcase this weekend. It's the only legit next gen quality game being shown off right now, and I love that they've had a transparent dev process since day one. I understand why that can cause frustration with its dev time (usually we only hear about a game a year or two before it launches, so hearing about it from day one of development can understandably cause fatigue when you're not used to it) but the accusations of it being a scam, hoax, or pyramid scheme given how transparent the dev process has been and the fact that the game is playable just screams ignorance.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017

Show me statistics for that.

--
Also, have you tried dog fighting module in Star Citizen?

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

Or, maybe, those "proselytising" the "loudest" are those that are actually following the game and actually playing it ? And thus actually know what they are talking about ? Unlike some others ?

And, maybe, because they know what they are talking about, might or not decide to give more money to the developers ?

How's that as a possibility ?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
During a sponsored by Anvil Aerospace convention? I also sure hope so.

Somehow things have worked out perfectly for me to view the live stream. Between having a scheduled appointment in the morning and a social event later that night, there should be plenty of time between the two events.
It's very wishful thinking I know lol. But yeah I've been hoping for it for years now so it's just pattern at this point.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
The Bengal seems unlikely. But the Javelin is another possibility. And it's a ship a few people actually owns.
Javelin would be nice to see. We have enough "small" ships in the PU. It's time for the big guns.

And maybe they'll surprise us with a flight ready ship (Mercury?)

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

It's already better than Tie Fighter. Yet again, these posts seem to completely ignore the fact that the game is already playable at this very moment. I've spent more than the average cost of a game and I've already got more than my money's worth of enjoyment in what's playable today, every time I log on I have fun, especially with friends. Thanks for the sympathy though.

Could try it out this weekend and see for yourself, or you could just continue looking like a hyperbolic fool comparing a game from 1994 to a game that's undeniably technically far beyond anything else on the market.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but, no, it really isn't.

Tie Fighter is an excellent game.

Is this even a game yet?

Tell me with a straight face that tie fighter looks more fun.

I love Tie Fighter, was my first computer game ever, but you are really presenting yourself as foolish when you are so willingly ignorant about what you're discussing.

Like I said in my post, if you bothered to read it, you can play it for yourself for free this coming week, every ship in the game, or you can continue just coming across as a fool talking about a game you don't even seem to know the bare minimum about.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Was around 100, but current goal is I think 25 planets half prod gen and spots in the planets that aren't procedural generated, but it's planned to have completely generated missions based on the planets economy, and other stats, should be in the end goal entirely self sufficient system of never ending quests basically.

Not really, but also not an MLM as an MLM requires you to make profits on other people joining. As nobody here is actually forcing anyone into a purchase nor is this thread even about that you're just wasting effort on doing this. Also there are no referral codes in this thread that I see so it's not really to the benefit of anyone there.
I'm sorry but, no, it really isn't.

Tie Fighter is an excellent game.

Is this even a game yet?
It's a tech demo, haven't you heard the news around here ?
Already playable, and not a tech demo. Don't you guy have other threads to do this in?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Is that a serious question?

Tie Fighter is one of the greatest games of all time. It's still excellent, fun and it's an actual game.

Star Citizen will not be remembered as fondly.

And that's your opinion, and I can understand if you don't like Star Citizen, but straight up saying that one is objectively better than the other... that's a whole different story...

Now, let's not derail the thread any longer. Really hoping they show us some new cool stuff that's coming in 2020. Regarding SQ42, I don't really need to see more, maybe a new cinematic trailer to show us actor performances and such, but we already know how the game plays.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping we can see some new planets or a new city. Isn't the starting area changing too? Seems like Port Olisar could be destroyed with all the radios hinting at it.