• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The people who are freaking about the patch note, know that it's nothing compared to the whole list of promises including the single player campaign lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
That's 400 million over time. It's been in active development for like 10 years now and they have 5 studios totalling around 1000 employees now.
The project had been heavily mismanaged for years and they are probably still paying the price for it, but its scope is also several games worth. Squadron 42 and the MMO are two games and the MMO has a scope larger than anything basically. We should get server meshing in the next 4-6 months which basically means we can have several thousand people in the persistant universe. Once that's done the MMO is for all intent and purpose "out" even if it won't be 1.0. Squadron 42? I don't know, though they did open a new studio a few months back to fast track work on it.

Not trying to be an active detractor, but wasn't Server Meshing originally promised to be a thing back in 2018? I feel like it's been 6 months away for the past several years. It's like having voice and facial capture for Squadron 42 only "recently" finishing when the single player campaign was originally closed to being done back in 2016.

Server Meshing and true persistence really need to come to the PU asap. It seems that CIG trying to make so much of Squadron 42's content and underlying systems cross-compatible with the PU really puts a damper on momentum for both.

I personally hope they due end up achieving their lofty goals, mostly for the sake of the whales and gamers who have waited so long for, and invested so much time in, S42 and the PU hopeful realization.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to be an active detractor, but wasn't Server Meshing originally promised to be a thing back in 2018? I feel like it's been 6 months away for the past several years. It's like having voice and facial capture for Squadron 42 only "recently" finishing when the single player campaign was originally closed to being done back in 2016.

Server Meshing and true persistence really need to come to the PU asap. It seems that CIG trying to make so much of Squadron 42's content and underlying systems cross-compatible with the PU really puts a damper on momentum for both.

I personally hope they due end up achieving their lofty goals, mostly for the sake of the whales and gamers who have waited so long for, and invested so much time in, S42 and the PU hopeful realization.
Based on this, they started work on it in 2018:
robertsspaceindustries.com

Server Meshing and Persistent Streaming Q&A - Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

Roberts Space Industries is the official go-to website for all news about Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It also hosts the online store for game items and merch, as well as all the community tools used by our fans.

That's in the "What is the current state of the server meshing tech and what are the biggest issues holding it back?" And they mention what progress they made each year since.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
All I mean to say is that they've taken $400m in funding from consumers and they're likely spending close to that in development costs. If you look at many of the most successful live service games, you're seeing something in excess of 90% extracted as profit.

People in general seem to think $400m is an insane amount of money in terms of game dev, but it's just not when you're talking about large teams... especially on the west cost of the USA.
400 million is an insane amount of money for a pure dev cycle targeting one platform with minimal marketing.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I have heard that server meshing is just around the corner for so long. While the progress tracker on their own website says it won't be out till Sept 2022, and thats as far as the tracker goes for now.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they have such a large team shouldn't the game be basically done by now?

Once again not a game developer, but I was under the impression that most large AAA games get done in a few years or so with a smaller team and a much smaller budget? Or am I way off in my estimates?

In terms of AAA 600 is actually fairly small. Most Ubisoft games or stuff like Call of Duty have 2 or 3k people that work on them, but 400 million is ludicrous. Something like GTA only has a 100 - 150 million dollar budget.
The issue with star citizen is it's been like 8 years and there still isn't a finished game with that amount of time and money.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Based on this, they started work on it in 2018:
robertsspaceindustries.com

Server Meshing and Persistent Streaming Q&A - Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

Roberts Space Industries is the official go-to website for all news about Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It also hosts the online store for game items and merch, as well as all the community tools used by our fans.

That's in the "What is the current state of the server meshing tech and what are the biggest issues holding it back?" And they mention what progress they made each year since.

From reading that, I highly doubt even Static Server meshing will make 2022. It doesn't seem like CIG is all that certain themselves. Dynamic server meshing looks even less clear when it comes to timelines.

Have there been any substantive updates on S42 when it comes to a potential beta? It was originally close to beta back in 2020 correct? Then CIG clarified that it was supposed to be an "internal beta", then said that it's no longer making the projected date.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
In terms of AAA 600 is actually fairly small. Most Ubisoft games or stuff like Call of Duty have 2 or 3k people that work on them, but 400 million is ludicrous. Something like GTA only has a 100 - 150 million dollar budget.
The issue with star citizen is it's been like 8 years and there still isn't a finished game with that amount of time and money.
This is not me nitpicking in a condescending manner or anything I just happened to Google this exact thing because of this thread earlier and GTA v had a $265 million dollar budget.

So Star Citizen really just doesn't have a single solitary leg to stand on here lol

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
If you want to privately fund your dream video game that takes $400Million+ and 10+ years to develop? Ok sure, go ahead if you really want to do that.

But the fact that this is $400Million+ of largely the consumers money who have been waiting 10 years, while constantly having broken promises, still having no end date, and roadmap after roadmap be almost completely unfulfilled... and then still be taking ridiculous amounts of money for future ships? I seriously don't understand how they have managed to get away with this.

It was initially powered by "hopes and dreams, starry eyed ultimate space game". Now it's mostly "we'll prove all of them wrong!!!" energy.

So yeah, self sustaining.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not me nitpicking in a condescending manner or anything I just happened to Google this exact thing because of this thread earlier and GTA v had a $265 million dollar budget.

So Star Citizen really just doesn't have a single solitary leg to stand on here lol

My bad, I just remember the headlines when GTA IV cracked the 100 million budget mark. Didn't think about GTA 5 must have been even bigger. 400 million in crowd funding plus their corporate investments is still a ludicrous amount of money for star citizen in comparison though.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My bad, I just remember the headlines when GTA IV cracked the 100 million budget mark. Didn't think about GTA 5 must have been even bigger. 400 million in crowd funding plus their corporate investments is still a ludicrous amount of money for star citizen in comparison though.
It is and for them to not even have a halfway finished product despite that 400 million price tag is kind of insane. Like I said earlier in the thread it is either a straight-up scam or it is the single most mismanaged project in the history of gaming.

There is literally no defense for them being this far into development with that kind of budget and having next to nothing to show for it.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've played a lot of SC over the last month and a bit, and its honestly amazing. I was thinking about doing a thread about it actually as I get the impression most people think that there is no game there at all, where in actual fact there is a surprising amount of game there right now, and I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it.
Yes the fact that they are selling ships for so much is potentially skeezy (although most can be bought ingame), but the fact remains that for me, theres no other game like it, and its given me some of the best ingame experiences I've had in any game ever, even in the short few months I've been playing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
is there any game currently out that does close to what they trying to do?

Craazy

Oct 30, 2017
I've played a lot of SC over the last month and a bit, and its honestly amazing. I was thinking about doing a thread about it actually as I get the impression most people think that there is no game there at all, where in actual fact there is a surprising amount of game there right now, and I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it.
Yes the fact that they are selling ships for so much is potentially skeezy (although most can be bought ingame), but the fact remains that for me, theres no other game like it, and its given me some of the best ingame experiences I've had in any game ever, even in the short few months I've been playing.
I bought Tarkov after hearing similar things......however thus far SC is the only game that I can say there are moments that are truly unique that I cannot replicate in any game. I have had some crazy buggy things happen but on the flip I have had some things that blew my mind to the point that I think I can write some fan fiction nonsense just based off my own experiences (something I have never even thought of doing before). If they can give the things promised and continue to at least deliver the things on the roadmap at the pace they have been lately, this will be a different conversation in the near future. As for Tarkov.....that game just gives me frayed nerves.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I just don't understand how anyone can defend this in good faith. The entire development of this game feels like a social experiment

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
When is Squadron 42 coming out? I feel like that should be a pretty simple question for people saying this entire endeavour isn't a scam right?

If the more linear, vertical slice of the bigger project is nowhere to be seen as of 2022 I feel like people have to give up the ghost on this one.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
That's 400 million over time. It's been in active development for like 10 years now and they have 5 studios totalling around 1000 employees now.
The project had been heavily mismanaged for years and they are probably still paying the price for it, but its scope is also several games worth. Squadron 42 and the MMO are two games and the MMO has a scope larger than anything basically. We should get server meshing in the next 4-6 months which basically means we can have several thousand people in the persistant universe. Once that's done the MMO is for all intent and purpose "out" even if it won't be 1.0. Squadron 42? I don't know, though they did open a new studio a few months back to fast track work on it.
Is Server Meshing the thing that's also gonna help performance? I've been told the main performance issues are server-based so I haven't tried the game as much as I'd want to because performance is still really bad.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
When is Squadron 42 coming out? I feel like that should be a pretty simple question for people saying this entire endeavour isn't a scam right?

If the more linear, vertical slice of the bigger project is nowhere to be seen as of 2022 I feel like people have to give up the ghost on this one.

Probably 2025 ?
Episode 1 won t be out in 2022 for sure, so it s 2023, then at least a year per episode... and we need 3 for the SQ42 campaign (they announced the campaign will be released as an episodic trilogy) :(
It has taken a nose dive for me ever since they embraced the need to have FPS components, and showed that sq42 was not free of it, on the contrary, with call of duty style segments in the campaign and other styles intermixed with stealth invasion of locations.

i only wanted wing commander ...

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I have heard that server meshing is just around the corner for so long. While the progress tracker on their own website says it won't be out till Sept 2022, and thats as far as the tracker goes for now.

One thing that has always amuses me about Star Citizen and it's defenders is how people leap into obscure bits of technology that no-one normally hears about at all to defend what they are doing. How often does 'server meshing' get mentioned at all during normal game discussion? Yet with Star Citizen it's the holy grail that will fix all problems. It's this bizarre news to find something to hook onto to explain and defend what's going on that makes everyone still supporting the game bizarre tech enthusiasts for gaming development tools no-one normally ever hears about.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No Man Sky is already ahead of this and on a constant discount for base game + DLCs... Besides graphical fidelity, what's the difference with what NMS is doing and what this 'game' is trying to do but (so far) feels mostly in dreams and whale prepurchases?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Check ship tours on YouTube alone, what's there is incredible. The game is super intriguing at times with stuff no other game has and i kinda want to try it for those things. The walkable ship interiors are amazing, some planets and cities look fantastic, the hidden Christmas tree is spectacular and you couldn't do it exactly like this in any other game i think.

Do I think it will live up to what was promised ever? Hell no. It will likely be a working game at some point with a healthy community of fans getting something out of it, but it will absolutely have no chance of ever being finished without fans complaining and keeping to ask for long promised content.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No Man Sky is already ahead of this and on a constant discount for base game + DLCs... Besides graphical fidelity, what's the difference with what NMS is doing and what this 'game' is trying to do but (so far) feels mostly in dreams and whale prepurchases?
Bot Elite and NMS were announced after Star Citizen and were both released and expanded several times since then. But, hey, Robert's ego must be as big as Derek Smart's.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much do you think a big AAA game costs to make?

I just googled it and Witcher 3 Wild Hunt was made for 81 million. And if I remember right the cost to make GTA V was like 260 million and that made it the most expensive game ever.

So yeah you can take $400 million and make several video games with that.

Are you serious?
Not sure anymore in these kind of threads.

It read like they were talking about the 40 grand, not the 400 mil. Wasn't the only one to take it that way either, it seems.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Inflaction adjusted:

Cyberpunk 2077: 316M
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: 300M

It's not as much as 400, but Star Citizen is supposed to be much bigger than those two games.
So you'd need to adjust the 400mil to inflation as well, for the last 10 years, no? Seems like a wobbly argument, if I'm not missing anything here.

In any case, it should easily be the most expensive production in video games at this point.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Inflaction adjusted:

It's not as much as 400, but Star Citizen is supposed to be much bigger than those two games.

You cant adjust for inflation for those games and then not for Star Citizen. It's been gathering funding for longer than Cyberpunk was in development.

Equally, Star Citizen has already spent *way* more than those games and has astronomically less to show for it. The vast majority of their promises are just words on a page right now with no evidence to show they will ever deliver on them. This is not a comparison that makes Star Citizen look in any way reasonable!

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So weird how there are still defenders for this game. It may not be a full out scam since there is a playable game, but it is still clearly a grift.

Oct 27, 2017

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but your arguments are bizarre.

1) we know for a fact that Roberts has put his family into incredibly well paid jobs at the top of the company. If you think they aren't taking home handsome 7 figure + salaries I have a bridge to sell you - he's even posted pictures of the boat he bought!

2) you are comparing finished products releasing items for sale in functioning games to jpegs in a broken shell of a 'game' that falls further behind each month. Until Star Citizen actually releases to an extent it's at least a vaguely coherent game it doesn't matter what they are spending on development versus profit because right now no-one is getting what they paid for.

3) 400 million is by far, far and away the most ever spent on a games development. It's not even close. 400m is a truly insane amount of money to spend on making a game and I'm not sure why you would think otherwise? No other game comes vaguely close to that amount.

1) I don't know any of the details of what Chris Roberts has done. I'm not defending him and in general I don't believe anyone should be earning 7 figure salaries while other people struggle. With that said, my point was just that this situation (in terms of development costs and whatnot) isn't all that different to what you get with many main stream studios and their live service games but in those cases, far less of what consumers spend is put back into the development of the game.

2) I think it's odd to categorise them as finished and unfinished products. Fortnite took several billion from consumers while it was still in 'beta', was it a finished product then? Plus, live service games are always changing, never finished, at any one time you're buying into the state of the game, at that one time. You're still buying into them with the promise that that future will be positive, and add value to the game.

3) 400 million is not by far and away, the most spent on a games development. It's not even close. Most studios don't put out these numbers, but most AAA live service games are in the billions. And when we start talking about marketing budgets too, many more games exceed 500m. Even many non-live service triple A games exceed 500m in total costs when you factor in how much is spent marketing those titles.

Today, triple A games (non-live service) cost ball park 100m to produce. Games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, that's 100m in development costs, not factoring in their marketing costs. Many publishers will spend several times that budget marketing the game.

Just estimating, but something like TLOU2 likely cost Sony close to the 200m mark in dev costs alone and that's with splitting factions into a separate multiplayer experience. When factoring the cost of marketing TLOU2 you're likely beyond 400m. The on-going cost of developing factions and then marketing and supporting it, will probably end up exceeding 1B.

Even old games, like Final Fantasy 7, inflation adjusted estimates put that games development costs almost 250m, and that was a game that was made by a small team (150 people) by todays standards over just a 3 year period. Today you have studios employing over 1000 people to work on a game for maybe 5 years, and often 10+ years for live service games. The development costs are much more than you seem to believe them to be.

I'm not saying Chris Roberts is a good guy or y'all should be buying space ships in Star Citizen, I'm just it seems a little odd when I see people whose post comes down to 'what the hell are they doing with 400m!? They could make 10 games!'. It's likely that Star Citizens ambition really will cost hundreds of millions of $ to achieve and that the ratio of what consumers spend that goes into the development costs of the game is greater (more so in the consumers favour here) than it is with many other triple As.

But again, as for the ethical and moral questions that regard Chris Roberts behaviour, I can't speak on them because I don't know anything about the games development with the level of intimacy required to comment.

Last edited:

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of games cost 400mil to develop

Lists a bunch of very high quality already released games that cost way less than 400mil to develop

Point well made

Catilio

Nov 7, 2017
20 years from now, CIG will start the crowdfunding to extend the EoL of their server infra.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
They dont even need to release the game they are making bank off clueless idiots lol.

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Does this money train keep going once the game comes out? A lot of this is people dumping money into what they think the game will be and when it doesn't just exist in their hopes and dreams I don't know if people are going to keep buying ship packs for tens of thousands. People who funded this thing to the tune of millions damn near a decade ago wanted a kick ass modern Wing Commander style game.

EA pooped out Star Wars Squadrons in like 3 years and it was great. I imagine Squadron 42 will be bigger in scope, but they've had a decade and literally nothing to show for it on the campaign front. It's clear that Chris Roberts is someone who needs a boss or a publisher, someone to answer to, and by that I don't mean the type of people hooked by his dream of the game that could be. Microsoft tossed him off Freelancer because they know that a game needs to actually be released and sell copies

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Inflaction adjusted:

Please adjust SC numbers and account for inflation and look at the target platforms for Cyberpunk and COD.

I want to see and play a finished SC, but at this point, I'm not sure we will. You have games like COD and Battlefield that are massive in scope, targeting multiple platforms but have a much shorter and contained dev cycle. Much bigger isn't always better, especially for a new dev house.

Last edited:

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
In part, yes. Eve Online, No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous all cover parts of the game promises. For the whole scope of what Star Citizen promises? No, but then Star Citizen doesn't even live up to everything it's promised.
It's also worth keeping in mind that it's hard to compare other games to the promises of StarCitizen because SC keeps adding more promises. You could make an argument that with all of its expansions, Elite is approaching the original vision of SC, though it obviously isn't close to the version of SC that has nearly a decade of feature creep.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
It's also worth keeping in mind that it's hard to compare other games to the promises of StarCitizen because SC keeps adding more promises. You could make an argument that with all of its expansions, Elite is approaching the original vision of SC, though it obviously isn't close to the version of SC that has nearly a decade of feature creep.
Good point, feature creep seems to be a serious issue.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
1) I don't know any of the details of what Chris Roberts has done. I'm not defending him and in general I don't believe anyone should be earning 7 figure salaries while other people struggle. With that said, my point was just that this situation (in terms of development costs and whatnot) isn't all that different to what you get with many main stream studios and their live service games but in those cases, far less of what consumers spend is put back into the development of the game.

2) I think it's odd to categorise them as finished and unfinished products. Fortnite took several billion from consumers while it was still in 'beta', was it a finished product then? Plus, live service games are always changing, never finished, at any one time you're buying into the state of the game, at that one time. You're still buying into them with the promise that that future will be positive, and add value to the game.

Nah. It's not at all odd to categorize released games as finished and unreleased games as unfinished. Pro tip: a game in beta is not a released game. It's in a testing phase. Live service games can certainly change significantly over time, but they're doing so off of a core, completed base. People who buy released games don't buy them for what they might become, but instead for the fun they'll have playing them NOW. Because they're finished and released. And not in beta.

3) 400 million is not by far and away, the most spent on a games development. It's not even close. Most studios don't put out these numbers, but most AAA live service games are in the billions. And when we start talking about marketing budgets too, many more games exceed 500m. Even many non-live service triple A games exceed 500m in total costs when you factor in how much is spent marketing those titles.

Today, triple A games (non-live service) cost ball park 100m to produce. Games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, that's 100m in development costs, not factoring in their marketing costs. Many publishers will spend several times that budget marketing the game.

Just estimating, but something like TLOU2 likely cost Sony close to the 200m mark in dev costs alone and that's with splitting factions into a separate multiplayer experience. When factoring the cost of marketing TLOU2 you're likely beyond 400m. The on-going cost of developing factions and then marketing and supporting it, will probably end up exceeding 1B.

Even old games, like Final Fantasy 7, inflation adjusted estimates put that games development costs almost 250m, and that was a game that was made by a small team (150 people) by todays standards over just a 3 year period. Today you have studios employing over 1000 people to work on a game for maybe 5 years, and often 10+ years for live service games. The development costs are much more than you seem to believe them to be.

I'm not saying Chris Roberts is a good guy or y'all should be buying space ships in Star Citizen, I'm just it seems a little odd when I see people whose post comes down to 'what the hell are they doing with 400m!? They could make 10 games!'. It's likely that Star Citizens ambition really will cost hundreds of millions of $ to achieve and that the ratio of what consumers spend that goes into the development costs of the game is greater (more so in the consumers favour here) than it is with many other triple As.

But again, as for the ethical and moral questions that regard Chris Roberts behaviour, I can't speak on them because I don't know anything about the games development with the level of intimacy required to comment.

Can you prove even a single one of the claims you've made as to the development costs you're claiming for other games? Even a single one? You say TLOU2 cost 200m for development alone and then 400m after marketing, but have nothing to back that up. Someone posted this link earlier:

I looked at that list and TLOU2 is nowhere on it. I tried to find it myself, despite the burden of proof of your claims being on you and the best I could find is this:

They estimate the budget at maybe around $100 million. Where are you getting your figures from?

You also cite inflation when discussing other games. Why not cite inflation for all the previous years of funding Star Citizen has raised? How much would their initial Kickstarter money be today adjusted for inflation? You keep writing these long posts defending Star Citizen while claiming not to defend them while also making all sorts of claims that you haven't backed up.

And before you say it, no, I won't do your research for you. No one here should be doing that. YOU made the outrageous claim so it's on YOU to back it up. Cite your sources for the development costs of the games you mention above, along with your methodology for adjusting for inflation. If you can't do that, then accept that maybe your position on this topic is not quite as defensible as you think it is. Additionally, if you're going to continue using inflation adjustments, be sure to adjust Star Citizen's cost per year so far for inflation so that you're making a true direct comparison.