• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
How much do you think a big AAA game costs to make?

I just googled it and Witcher 3 Wild Hunt was made for 81 million. And if I remember right the cost to make GTA V was like 260 million and that made it the most expensive game ever.

So yeah you can take $400 million and make several video games with that.

Do not comparw random games like that. The majority of Witcher was done in Poland. Obviously it will be cheaper.

For comparison, a designer can make several times more in Sweden compared to Poland, which significantly increases the cost of making a large AAA game.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
In contrast, here's what the latest patch (3.16) shipped with compared to what it was promised on the timeline they have.

unknown.png
I remember there was thing whole thing about bartender ai a few years ago. Did they implement that?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Do not comparw random games like that. The majority of Witcher was done in Poland. Obviously it will be cheaper.

For comparison, a designer can make several times more in Sweden compared to Poland, which significantly increases the cost of making a large AAA game.
You know this industry is crumbling when you can't make ONE game for 200.000.000 ;)

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I remember there was thing whole thing about bartender ai a few years ago. Did they implement that?
They did. I only recall them working properly for one or two patches. You'd think they'd at least include a bartender in the 890J ship ($950 luxury yacht ship that actually has a bar) but they are "didnt care enough" to do that much. Just left them in bars where no one even goes
[edit] somebody else might want to chime in on the bartender thing. I rarely go to the bars- they just never given us any reason. So not 100% if they work or not
[edit2] Clarifying the 890J ships players can buy actually contains a bar which is the one spot I'd thought for sure they would've thought to add bartenders

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I want detailed autobiography of every person who buys this.

Screw that i want a feature length documentary, i just want to know how someone gets to a point in life where they drop 40k on a videogame space ship.

Dipping into my kid's college fund as we speak. She'll understand.

It's for her own good really, just imagine how much fun she will have when she inherits the ship from you 40 years from now when the game hits the first beta and the game has raised more money than the combined gdp of every country on the planet combined.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why the heck do they need to sell something for 40 grand? You could fund several games for that kind of money right? Or am I missing something here?

This perception is part of a much greater problem of how consumers perceive the cost of development versus how much it actually costs to develop a game. 40k would be in the neighborhood of the budget you'd need to make a single character in a AAA game, more if you consider the costs of the studio and non-development-related expenses.

This isn't to say I defend or condone the way Star Citizen monetizes its work, but I think most consumers have incredibly far-fetched ideas of how much games actually cost to develop.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

All I mean to say is that they've taken $400m in funding from consumers and they're likely spending close to that in development costs. If you look at many of the most successful live service games, you're seeing something in excess of 90% extracted as profit.

People in general seem to think $400m is an insane amount of money in terms of game dev, but it's just not when you're talking about large teams... especially on the west cost of the USA.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm just blown away by the fact that you can't sell items to shops yet, a feature so basic and common across literally any game that has an economy. I mean it's a basic step in even Unity indie projects.

cyress8

Avenger
I'm just blown away by the fact that you can't sell items to shops yet, a feature so basic and common across literally any game that has an economy. I mean it's a basic step in even Unity indie projects.
But you can sell items to shops already, the next update is so players can sell armor and weapons back to shops. Cargo, knickknacks, ore, gems, etc have been sellable for years. You can sell cargo from another player's destroyed wreckage if from pvp if you want.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
how the hell does anyone fall for scam citizen? what a joke

it's defenders are no different from all the Twitter dudebros high on NFTs

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if I can open up a virtual space garage? These dumb shlubs can pay me $500 per month, to house their virtual vehicles.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Why do we need a thread with the same 10 replies every time this game or company does anything.

If they sell it or people buy it who cares, stop shopping with other peoples pockets. Enjoy no man's sky like you wanted and let other people enjoy star citizen or elite dangerous or whatever they want. We're all grown ass adults but I swear y'all forget that sometimes.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
just going to reiterate my feelings towards this project:
if your company feels even remotely comfortable in selling something this high priced for a project that is this late, overbudget, and off the rails
or hell, let's just take the rest of that out. If your video game company feels comfortable selling something like this at this high of a price you can go fuck yourself

they're literally just harvesting their biggest, probably already in too deep, whale customers. they are just taking advantage of a certain type of customer/fan. i'm not sure how anyone can defend this, it's just comically ridiculous that we're here and i want to find it funny but it's just so overboard that all I can do is stare blankly at the screen and regret my $40 kickstarter pledge. It's doesn't seem like we're even going to remotely get the game that was initially promised, let alone before someone else makes it lmao

but im beating a dead horse here of course of course

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Why do we need a thread with the same 10 replies every time this game or company does anything.
Probably because a lot of different people are coming to similar conclusions based on what they see happening?

Also seeing people get so obviously scammed and exploited out of so much money (money that most people would dream to have), is both saddening and infuriating.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
Back in 2014, I bought an AMD R9 290. It came with a code usable on AMD's site to redeem keys for 3 games of my choice from a list of dozens. Many of the games were either not interesting to me or I'd already gotten during a Steam sale, but I found 2 that I wanted. As for the third, I saw that they had Star Citizen available, and as nothing else grabbed my interest, I figured I'd select that as my final choice. I downloaded whatever beta they had available at the time and it refused to launch. I never could figure out what was wrong with it. The card played everything else I had like a champ. I actually recently put it into an old PC I had laying around for a friend's son who wants to play some simple indie PC games, which the card is more than capable of doing. But Star Citizen? Yeah, that's still not out. However, watching this slow moving flaming train wreck is probably far more entertaining than whatever gameplay I might have gotten from that beta had it actually ran. This is by far the best free game I've ever gotten from that metric alone!

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Okay? That still doesn't explain this situation. $400 million is enough make a game anywhere in the world.

So this is either a scam or the most horribly mismanaged project in the history of gaming.

This perception is part of a much greater problem of how consumers perceive the cost of development versus how much it actually costs to develop a game. 40k would be in the neighborhood of the budget you'd need to make a single character in a AAA game, more if you consider the costs of the studio and non-development-related expenses.

This isn't to say I defend or condone the way Star Citizen monetizes its work, but I think most consumers have incredibly far-fetched ideas of how much games actually cost to develop.

I meant the 400 million that have raised so far. Not the 40k for the bundle.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
But you can sell items to shops already, the next update is so players can sell armor and weapons back to shops. Cargo, knickknacks, ore, gems, etc have been sellable for years. You can sell cargo from another player's destroyed wreckage if from pvp if you want.
No you can't. Your post clearly elaborates that weapons, items, and armor cannot be sold. They never said anything about commodities. Indeed, we havent been able to sell back basic things for many yrs
Heck you can finally drop things from your inventory as of 3.15 (recent patch)

they've also been struggling for yrs with server meshing and they make it sound so complicated. Yet Dual Universe got it implemented on a shoestring indie budget in Alpha. Same story with salvaging. DU had that in alpha as well.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
All I mean to say is that they've taken $400m in funding from consumers and they're likely spending close to that in development costs. If you look at many of the most successful live service games, you're seeing something in excess of 90% extracted as profit.

People in general seem to think $400m is an insane amount of money in terms of game dev, but it's just not when you're talking about large teams... especially on the west cost of the USA.

Sorry but your arguments are bizarre.

1) we know for a fact that Roberts has put his family into incredibly well paid jobs at the top of the company. If you think they aren't taking home handsome 7 figure + salaries I have a bridge to sell you - he's even posted pictures of the boat he bought!

2) you are comparing finished products releasing items for sale in functioning games to jpegs in a broken shell of a 'game' that falls further behind each month. Until Star Citizen actually releases to an extent it's at least a vaguely coherent game it doesn't matter what they are spending on development versus profit because right now no-one is getting what they paid for.

3) 400 million is by far, far and away the most ever spent on a games development. It's not even close. 400m is a truly insane amount of money to spend on making a game and I'm not sure why you would think otherwise? No other game comes vaguely close to that amount.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017

If they sell it or people buy it who cares, stop shopping with other peoples pockets. Enjoy no man's sky like you wanted and let other people enjoy star citizen or elite dangerous or whatever they want. We're all grown ass adults but I swear y'all forget that sometimes.
Sounds like you'd be ok if companies start embracing NFTs and other bullshit, because people will buy them.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Comparing star citizen to NFTs is unfair.

Star citizen people buy jpegs of ship in the hope of one day using them.
NFTbros buy receipt for shitty apes in the hope of one day selling them.

Also star citizen is much cheaper and has better art.

This isn't a defence of SC (lord knows we'll get the defence force in this thread soon enough) so much as it is a condemnation of NFTs. They are so stupid, even SC's startship jpegs are a better investment.

Agree with this. Starship jpegs are still better than ugly af apes. And also the drawings.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

So... it's a more pro-consumer move to keep asking for money for something that is getting delayed over and over and over... seemingly indefinitely with no actual end in sight?

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to privately fund your dream video game that takes $400Million+ and 10+ years to develop? Ok sure, go ahead if you really want to do that.

But the fact that this is $400Million+ of largely the consumers money who have been waiting 10 years, while constantly having broken promises, still having no end date, and roadmap after roadmap be almost completely unfulfilled... and then still be taking ridiculous amounts of money for future ships? I seriously don't understand how they have managed to get away with this.