• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing star citizen to NFTs is unfair.

Star citizen people buy jpegs of ship in the hope of one day using them.
NFTbros buy receipt for shitty apes in the hope of one day selling them.

Also star citizen is much cheaper and has better art.

This isn't a defence of SC (lord knows we'll get the defence force in this thread soon enough) so much as it is a condemnation of NFTs. They are so stupid, even SC's startship jpegs are a better investment.
I was just making a joke about ludicrously expensive jpegs. I agree though the $40k ship jpegs are stupid as all hell.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It actually cost more than that because you can't see those offers unless you already spent tons of cash, haha.
Wouldn't be surprised if they start releasing NFT ships in 2022.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If they have such a large team shouldn't the game be basically done by now?

Once again not a game developer, but I was under the impression that most large AAA games get done in a few years or so with a smaller team and a much smaller budget? Or am I way off in my estimates?
A large team can easily be less efficient than a small team because once you go past a few dozen people, communication lines get fuzzy. You can't just add more people and expect development to go faster because you're increasing the need for management as you add people.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've said this before but Cloud Imperium pull $400 mil lifetime and people are asking where they spent the money... that the game doesn't have enough content, that it's unfinished.

Meanwhile, Fortnite pulled 5.5 billion in revenue in 2018 alone (and around 3 billion each year since).

Every successful live service game, Overwatch, Destiny, Apex Legends, Call of Duty is pulling more than Cloud Imperium are per year, and I would argue that their players are getting much less from most of those in terms of content.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
A large team can easily be less efficient than a small team because once you go past a few dozen people, communication lines get fuzzy. You can't just add more people and expect development to go faster because you're increasing the need for management as you add people.
I never really thought of it that way. Thanks.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Ok ok "not a scam" and whatever but can someone explain to me what the hell are they doing with $400 million? That's some AAAA budget right there. What do they have to show for it?

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
Ok ok "not a scam" and whatever but can someone explain to me what the hell are they doing with $400 million? That's some AAAA budget right there. What do they have to show for it?

They are making jpegs of to sell to people on the promise that jpeg will be an in game asset.

One day.

Eventually.

With server meshing, which is going to be implemented any day now (for the past few years).

SC is my favorite trainwreck.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
1*3oWa66-cANdzRauXQ7Rh_A.jpeg

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
But how many ship JPEGs do you get for that $40k? I need to know if it's a good deal or not, or whether I should be dropping my cash into NFTs instead.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
If they have such a large team shouldn't the game be basically done by now?

Once again not a game developer, but I was under the impression that most large AAA games get done in a few years or so with a smaller team and a much smaller budget? Or am I way off in my estimates?
The company seems to have horrible management at the top. If that mini-doc, Sunk Cost Galaxy, was correct from the supposed insider, it's poor management and a grift job.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a circle of rich billionaire nerds who get together and play Star Citizen? Who is buying this stuff?

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I've said this before but Cloud Imperium pull $400 mil lifetime and people are asking where they spent the money... that the game doesn't have enough content, that it's unfinished.

Meanwhile, Fortnite pulled 5.5 billion in revenue in 2018 alone (and around 3 billion each year since).

Every successful live service game, Overwatch, Destiny, Apex Legends, Call of Duty is pulling more than Cloud Imperium are per year, and I would argue that their players are getting much less from most of those in terms of content.
I might be misreading this but are you saying most of those game are getting less content than Star Citizen?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I never really thought of it that way. Thanks.
For what it's worth, I'm not really saying anything for or against Star Citizen by that, I'm just bringing up a basic project management concern. Maybe people are brought in because the project's mismanaged, and that probably wouldn't help - imagine if you brought a hundred people to solve a problem and then they're left doing nothing because you haven't figured out what other work to give them.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Probably lower than 100k average because the largest work force is often QA and localisation who are on very low salaries. Unless they're outsourcing they're probably employing 200+ QA/LOC with salaries

Only specific jobs in game dev are well paid. Many are not. Then they also have a lot of positions outside of LA. EU game dev is quite poorly paid when compared to West coast US.

But, you probably have a few people pulling six figure salaries too I would imagine... so that messes up the averages also.

Keep in mind that cost per employee is not just their salary. It includes things like benefits, office space, equipment, taxes, etc.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
at least tell me that is all the ownable ships in the game, including the unreleased ones

All the ships that have been sold this year on the store. If they announce / release a ship next year, those are not included in this year's Legatus Pack. (This is a yearly thing, last year it was $36,500 iirc)

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

That is highly debatable. At least they are playing finished games where their progress wont be wiped. SC-PU just had a major wipe when 3.15 dropped. Now I do play SC-PU from time to time and will say 3.16 is a major step (stability wise- no longer crashes every 30 mins + 30k protection). But its still feels like a beautiful shell that is kinda hollow from the inside unless they run an event. Luckily right now they're running JT 2.0 + NT events so players have something interesting to do. Granted, Jumptown is just literally people manually carrying around boxes but the drama around it is funny (since players will steal/kill/grief each other there on occasion).

Also, CIG lies to their fanbase constantly. Usually in the form of missed deadlines (like SQ42 was supposed to ship in 2016, roadmap drama, etc).
[edit] This is one of highest voted threads lately at /r/SC where CIG is getting called out for dropping the ball.

Last edited:

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
They are making jpegs of to sell to people on the promise that jpeg will be an in game asset.

One day.

Eventually.

With server meshing, which is going to be implemented any day now (for the past few years).

SC is my favorite trainwreck.
Yeah same here. It's pretty funny. I only mildly keep up, but I remember my buds and I were into Eve and some other sandbox games years and years ago when I was a little younger. We all thought star citizen was going to be out back then. Now we've all got teen sons and it's still the same song lol. Every time I randomly catch or see anything related to the game, there's always someone saying something about server meshing coming soon. Been that way for some time it feels.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

But all of those games are actually finished. I'd much rather spend money on a cosmetic in a game like Fortnite or Destiny 2 than drop it into a endless black hole like Star Citizen.

On top of that, none of those games sells a cosmetic (or even a cosmetic pack) that costs $40k. You could probably buy many, if not all, of Fortnite's cosmetics for less than that.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like something posted to generate news articles and then the company or someone involved will "buy" just to generate more interest.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
People are buying NFTs in droves, of course they're gonna buy this shit.

If anything, I believe CIG dropped the ball with not involving themselves with NFTs yet, their business model of selling digital scarcity seems to even pre-date the whole NFT craze.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That is highly debatable. At least they are playing finished games where their progress wont be wiped. SC-PU just had a major wipe when 3.15 dropped. Now I do play SC-PU from time to time and will say 3.16 is a major step (stability wise- no longer crashes every 30 mins + 30k protection). But its still feels like a beautiful shell that is kinda hollow from the inside unless they run an event. Luckily right now they're running JT 2.0 + NT events so players have something interesting to do. Granted, Jumptown is just literally people manually carrying around boxes but the drama around it is funny (since players will steal/kill/grief each other there on occasion).

Also, CIG lies to their fanbase constantly. Usually in the form of missed deadlines (like SQ42 was supposed to ship in 2016, roadmap drama, etc).
[edit] This is one of highest voted threads lately at /r/SC where CIG is getting called out for dropping the ball.

Fortnite pulled in 1 year more than 10 times more than Star Citizen has in its lifetime, all the while Fortnite Battle Royale was still in beta, an unreleased product.

All developers of live service games reserve the right to (and will) wipe all of the players progress as soon as the service isn't profitable.

I can't speak about them lying or anything like that since I don't follow too closely. And honestly I'm not saying that this type of monetisation is right either, just that I don't think it's that different to how many big publishers are funding their live service games. You don't own a part of Destiny 2 yet Bungie are asking for £79.99 for their newest expansion and seasonal content. That's not $40,000 sure, but they're ultimately still taking a lot and giving very little back when you put things in perspective.

At least with Cloud Imperium they're saying 'we're using your money from ship purchases to fund the game'. You look at that 400 mil, and give or take it probably is being used on the games development. Give or take a few million, most of it is probably going back into the game. However effectively managed or not that is is neither here nor there. With other games, only a tiny tiny fraction of your cash is going back into the games development, and the larger chunk of it is being extracted as profit. So that rich people who do not care about the game can buy a 300 ache house, Yacht or an Island.

I'm not saying they're making the right decisions or even that they're always telling the truth, but it still seems more pro consumer than more traditional models of game development.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
you can't tell me this entire project isn't some money laundering scheme

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Either:

A) This is the most poorly mismanaged project in the history of game development

or

B) This is the business model and no game is ever coming.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017

there are takes, and there are takes and this is definitely the latter, yow

for starters, when you buy things in those games, you get them

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
they're selling a fake ship that is literally how much money I have in the bank right now

capitalism sure feels great.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Fortnite pulled in 1 year more than 10 times more than Star Citizen has in its lifetime, all the while Fortnite Battle Royale was still in beta, an unreleased product.

All developers of live service games reserve the right to (and will) wipe all of the players progress as soon as the service isn't profitable.

I can't speak about them lying or anything like that since I don't follow too closely. And honestly I'm not saying that this type of monetisation is right either, just that I don't think it's that different to how many big publishers are funding their live service games. You don't own a part of Destiny 2 yet Bungie are asking for £79.99 for their newest expansion and seasonal content. That's not $40,000 sure, but they're ultimately still taking a lot and giving very little back when you put things in perspective.

At least with Cloud Imperium they're saying 'we're using your money from ship purchases to fund the game'. You look at that 400 mil, and give or take it probably is being used on the games development. Give or take a few million, most of it is probably going back into the game. However effectively managed or not that is is neither here nor there. With other games, only a tiny tiny fraction of your cash is going back into the games development, and the larger chunk of it is being extracted as profit. So that rich people who do not care about the game can buy a 300 ache house, Yacht or an Island.

I'm not saying they're making the right decisions or even that they're always telling the truth, but it still seems more pro consumer than more traditional models of game development.

Yes it has been proven Chris Roberts has done all of those things to some degree with the money (just not an island yet). Also, hiring his family members.

It's not pro consumer at all. I backed in 2015. It was not a wise investment. Still waiting on a ship. At least in those other games you get what you paid for. No offense but did you read the thread? Backers are not getting what we paid for. I paid for SQ42 in 2015. It's still not here

We have no legal recourse (at least not in the US; backers in UK have gotten refunds through courts)

I took this as a painful lesson to just avoid crowdfunding projects unless I know the people personally

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
In contrast, here's what the latest patch (3.16) shipped with compared to what it was promised on the timeline they have.

unknown.png