• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Maybe just give them a billion dollars and it'll come out faster.
Dutch_van_der_Linde_-_Redemption_2.png

"All we need is one more donation drive! Just ONE MORE fleet week selling a couple ships and we GOT THIS! Have some GODDAMN FAITH!"

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Baseless accusations of shilling.
The thing that amazes me after all this time is that it's actually speeding up this year. Maybe these had something to do with it.

I've been wondering why Digital Foundry does marketing for Star Citizen. It's like we're back in the 90s when games journalists were given access in return for positive coverage.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
I'm an insider when it comes to star citizen, and I say it's a scam. Although I should really be thanking them. After I contacted paypal and the California attorney general and got my refund in july 2016, I poured that entire $4800 into bitcoin, which was worth just $600/btc at the time.

That 8 btc is worth over $75,000 now.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm an insider when it comes to star citizen, and I say it's a scam. Although I should really be thanking them. After I contacted paypal and the California attorney general and got my refund in july 2016, I poured that entire $4800 into bitcoin, which was worth just $600/btc at the time.

So you can re-invest into a bigger ship now!

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering why Digital Foundry does marketing for Star Citizen. It's like we're back in the 90s when games journalists were given access in return for positive coverage.

They cover what interests them. Alex had been really into the technical aspects of this long before joining up with DF. Had some pretty interesting discussions with their developers on their forum on the intricacies of motion blur and such.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

Or, maybe, because DF likes to talk about interesting tech in games and despite all of it's shortcomings, SC has droves of interesting techs in the same package ? Maybe ?

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Yeah, that's one thing that always bothered me a bit. They have hired a bit more diverse actors but they are only on secondary roles. And i mean, such a wasted opportunity when one of your main space ship in the game is called the "Idris" to not try to hire Mr Elba to captain it (not that i have anything against Liam Cunnigham).
Yeah don't disagree; just my sly joke about how long this creamy elephant has been lumbering on.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is that marketing ? show me some receipts.

The videos focus on the technical aspect of the game. Which are very advanced stuff.

In what regards are you an insider. And what proof do you have that's it a scam ?

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
In what regards are you an insider. And what proof do you have that's it a scam ?
I was an original kickstarter backer, Space Marshal level backer ($5000+) and involved closely in the community from 2012-2016. I have visited both the Austin and Santa Monica offices multiple times, Met Chris, Erin, Sandi, Ben, and all the rest, and had thousands of posts on their old forums (pre-spectrum forum). I also have a computer science background so the "you don't understand game development" cultist defense doesn't really work on me. In short, I was deeply involved in the project for years - financially, emotionally, philosophically and otherwise.

As far as why it's a scam, it's been 8 years and the game is maybe 5% complete. Every year they make promises, every year they break them. They will never, ever complete all the stretch goals for this game. The scope creep is insane.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was an original kickstarter backer, Space Marshal level backer ($5000+) and involved closely in the community from 2012-2016. I have visited both the Austin and Santa Monica offices multiple times, Met Chris, Erin, Sandi, Ben, and all the rest, and had thousands of posts on their old forums (pre-spectrum forum). I also have a computer science background so the "you don't understand game development" cultist defense doesn't really work on me. In short, I was deeply involved in the project for years - financially, emotionally, philosophically and otherwise.
Ah. I see. Thank you.

Though, i would say. That's doesn't really make you an insider. More of a passionate backer.

What about it being a scam ?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
They could launch real rockets at this point, god help me Elon Musk would be down for a promo with this game.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Thousands of dollars. I spent $200 at the beginning of the campaign before it super took off in scope and I feel gipped. At least you got a refund.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
Though, i would say. That's doesn't really make you an insider. More of a passionate backer.
Maybe you're right. But you know who IS an insider? The guy who made the Sunk Cost Galaxy series. He was an actual investor (NOT a backer, an INVESTOR) in the very early days of the project, and offers the insiders perspective in that series. You should really check it out, it's extremely informative, and entertaining.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
What does this mean?
This is a sort of joke. Let me explain. This thread is one of many extolling the very long development cycle of SC. The actual filming of SQ42 with the predominantly white cast was quite some time ago. Now in a lot of older media the lack of diverse casting was often justified with the excuse that it was 'a different time'. So I'm sort of ironically alluding to the long development cycle of SC and the decision to roll with a predominantly white cast.

As per my previous explanation in the very previous post above yours.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as why it's a scam, it's been 8 years and the game is maybe 5% complete. Every year they make promises, every year they break them. They will never, ever complete all the stretch goals for this game. The scope creep is insane, and now they're refusing refunds.
I agree, that refusing refunds is thoroughly inexcusable.

Though none of that means it's inherently a scam, or scamola even.
Maybe you're right. But you know who IS an insider? The guy who made the Sunk Cost Galaxy series. He was an actual investor (NOT a backer, an INVESTOR) in the very early days of the project, and offers the insiders perspective in that series. You should really check it out, it's extremely informative, and entertaining.

Hmmm.

I'll give a look one day.
Damn. Thousands of dollars. I spent $200 at the beginning of the campaign before it super took off in scope and I feel gipped. At least you got a refund.
Why ?

You can play SC right now, and will be able to play SQ42 when it eventually comes out.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
You can play SC right now, and will be able to play SQ42 when it eventually comes out.
You can play it* right now, but virtually no one actually is. Less than 5k viewers on twitch, just at a quick glance. Minecraft has ten times that and Fortnite has 25 times those views. I'm told by friends of mine who are still fans that both Arena Commander and especially the FPS mode are relatively dead. Why do you think so few people are interested in playing and watching Star Citizen despite it's supposed AAA state of the art next-gen game of the future status?

*a glorified tech demo of an MMO game that barely qualifies as even having persistence.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly thought that bartender post was a joke at first
It makes more sense when you learn that mixology (as in, being a space bartender) is supposed to be a viable career in SC and game in and of itself. They would presumably interact with players of that profession somehow.

I'm pretty sure this is a real thing, 'cause long ago I made it my benchmark for SC being complete.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I say this in every SC thread, but it still completely blows my mind that EA is sitting on the Wing Commander/Privateer license while people threw millions at Roberts to make a pseudo-sequel.

Talk about leaving money on the table.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I say this in every SC thread, but it still completely blows my mind that EA is sitting on the Wing Commander/Privateer license while people threw millions at Roberts to make a pseudo-sequel.

They could have released 2 games built from scratch at this point and undercut Star Citizen.

I backed SC pretty soon after it was announced. I have not played the game yet as my rig is pretty old. As long as Squadron 42 comes out, I will feel the project was worth it. Even if that is 3-5 years from now.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
I backed SC pretty soon after it was announced. I have not played the game yet as my rig is pretty old. As long as Squadron 42 comes out, I will feel the project was worth it. Even if that is 3-5 years from now.
People were saying the same thing in 2014. And 2015. And 2016. And 2017, 2018, and 2019.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
People were saying the same thing in 2014. And 2015. And 2016. And 2017, 2018, and 2019.
I know back in 2014, 2015 and 2016 they kept saying Squadron 42, or at least the first part of it, would be released "by the end of the year" or "next year". Are they still somehow doing this? If I were a backer asking when the game will be out I'd probably prefer they just flip me off in response rather than blatantly lying to me for years and years.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

I remember when Halo Reach showed off a space flight section and people thought it'd be the first of multiple franchises jumping on Star Citizen's coattails and the whole genre would revive.

Dec 8, 2018
It's a fact that Chris Roberts' kids were doxxed, and it's a fact that Sandi Gardner was harassed and stalked off social media because of the videos that you posted in this thread. Just because you want to make yourself feel better doesn't mean I made it up.

What the fuck does that have to do with that video? You even said so yourself that anybody could have made those videos since it needs no inside knowledge to understand how f-ed up their development is.

And you purposely left out the last part which he specifically was talking about that people who do bad videos in your eyes by shining a light on the troubles at SC they might as well be considered as the same as people who doxx. That is fucked up

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly thought that bartender post was a joke at first
Yeah. It's super meme worthy. Though it's not that different, from different job classes in other MMOs
Because I backed for a Wing Commander successor I was told would come out SIX YEARS AGO. Star Citizen was always a bonus for me. I wanted Squadron 42.
No no. I hear ya.
You can play it* right now, but virtually no one actually is. Less than 5k viewers on twitch, just at a quick glance. Minecraft has ten times that and Fortnite has 25 times those views. I'm told by friends of mine who are still fans that both Arena Commander and especially the FPS mode are relatively dead. Why do you think so few people are interested in playing and watching Star Citizen despite it's supposed AAA state of the art next-gen game of the future status?

*a glorified tech demo of an MMO game that barely qualifies as even having persistence.
It's understandable not many would play those nowadays, now that the main game has all that stuff in it.

On the very rare times i play the game. I just play the open world.

Since the open world first got released. I ended up just using Arena Commander test to control set ups.
I remember when Halo Reach showed off a space flight section and people thought it'd be the first of multiple franchises jumping on Star Citizen's coattails and the whole genre would revive.
When i saw the space flight section in Reach. I thought we were going to get that in Destiny. 😭

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

They would have had $5 microtransactions in the game that somehow would have been the greatest crime in the history of humanity and caused the game to tank, while Star Citizen hoovering up $300 million from legions of idiot whales (myself included) is lauded by the same people as the pinnacle of game dev genius.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How hard can it really be to finish Squadron 42 after all this time? Let's just assume this whole thing isn't a scam (which it totally is) and they're just in over their head. I could understand being overwhelmed with the MMO part of the game, given how big the scope is supposed to be and the apparent engine issues for the multiplayer part (but again, their fault for being so stupid to chose a new, untested engine for a game of this magnitude). But squadron 42 is a fucking singleplayer game. You have so much ressources and time at your hand, there is absolutely no fucking excuse for not finishing or even being close to finishing a singleplayer game 6 years after it's first supposed release date.
This is all the prove you need to know that this whole thing is a scam of unprecedented proportions. If it wasn't, and if they had any intensions of actually finishing this product, they would focus on Squadron 42, release it and then rellocate their ressources on the MMO part with the earnings of the squadron 42 release.

Imagine what a competent dev team could've achieved with 300 fricking million dollars just for the development of the game. It's a shame really, the concept and the idea of the game is interesting but unfortunately it's in the hands of a scammer

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020

What a super bad hot take here.

DF is interested in reporting on the latest tech in gaming. That's their whole thing. And whatever you may think of Star Citizen, and I'm probably right there with you, you can't argue that what they do have up and running is next gen stuff, and something that is right up their alley to cover.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for you to come back and provide receipts. But you won't, because you're just making a shitpost about another member.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Still waiting for you to come back and provide receipts. But you won't, because you're just making a shitpost about another member.

What? Of course there's no "receipts". How would any of us be privy to anything of the sort?

If it helps you any, let's just say I feel the videos painted too rosy a picture. And if there's a forum user involved in making those videos, I'm sure they'll say something themselves if they feel like they need to.