• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I pledged during the initial kickstarter. At this point i'm not at all hopeful, but if something actually comes of it that'd be grand. The 'universe' mode is still more or less a tech demo and I really don't know why the single player hasn't had any meaningful progress - I'd thought the original goal was to get that game out before the MMO.
That's basically where I'm at right now.

If I lose my $30, that sucks. I would never consider spending the hundreds or thousands of dollars on a game that doesn't exist like some people have.

And if I eventually get the single player space combat sim I spent my money on, that'll be nice.

Jul 17, 2018
vlcA0oV.png

Oct 27, 2017
This game has been fascinating to follow. Wonder if we'd ever see a rogue ex-employee reveal what's happening internally inside the studio or something, I want to know what's really going on.

We basically know already. Chris Roberts is known as an obsessive micromanaging control freak that can't handle a project of this size. Even a good producer would have problems with the small, moving target they aim for.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
People need to chill. Like M-E-L-L-O-W O-U-T brahs!

The game is only 7 or 8 years into your average 25-30 year game development cycle. It's perfectly normal to say the game is almost finished in 2016 and not have an alpha in 2020. Have you guys even paid attention to how games are made before? Alpha then Beta then release candidate and stuff?

Frankly, I wouldn't get worried about SQ42 delays until 2037 or 2038. By which time CIG will have crossed the 5 Billion dollar mark in crowdfunding and the project will likely transition to be headed by Chris Robert's oldest son when Chris retires or dies, as is typically the case with game dynasties.

Super excited for my grandsons to play the game at release day with me. Pre-ordering another ship for the bargain price of several hundred dollars.

Haters gonna hate when they see me flying in my shiny spaceship. Oh how they will wail and cry in despair. Hahaha.
Don't worry, everyone here will soon be ashamed of their words and deeds.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Y'all just should buy the Legatus pack and star citizen will release in no time!

... has this pack reached over 40.000$ now? It was 35.000 in december.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they've already raised more money than most games have ever cost? What a joke that there's 'no other way'. They have private investors too, and if they have a viable product and go seek more investors, they could absolutely secure them. I mean, if you think it's fine to manipulate their core audience/fans into spending more money than any other game ever, going towards a game with quite frankly questionable progress, then more power to you. I see a company spending a shit load of their time fundraising and selling digital starships for tens of thousands of dollars and it honestly just makes me sick, this is also ignoring all of the work they have reportedly thrown away or restarted as a result of mismanagement. "There's no other way". Ok.

I would actually not be surprised if another game came out before Star Citizen with similar gameplay and scope. Just minus all the theatrics of it's development

edit: it looks like they've raised about 60 million in private investments so far as of four months ago: https://gamingstreet.com/cloud-imperium-raises-17-25m-in-funding-for-star-citizen/

CIG was built from the ground up for this: 600+ people devs, marketing, office space, taxes, making their own convention, etc...

Private investors can only get you that far and they are 'investors', they didn't gave 60 million for the SQ42 campaign, they invested in the company because they made like $200+ million selling ships and promises. So they need to keep selling ships and promises if they want to keep the lights on and the money incoming.

They have a husk of a game and the SQ42 campaign must be in shambles too, at least is not ready yet to be even fully shown outside of vertical slices. So their only option is to keep making ships and update their husk of a game so people have a playground to play with their shiny ships.

I'm not defending it, I already said is morally and ethically questionable, I'm saying that the only way for the company to not, basically, colapse and burn down is to keep selling ships. They have no other way, since none of the games are clearly ready and they probably don't have money to operate without incoming until either is released and the only thing investors see worthwhile is the ship selling part of this mess.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

I used to work in Wilmslow and I used to see loads of CIG people on the train in from Manchester in the morning. I didn't twig until after I stopped working in the area. Just thought it was really weird how there were *a lot* of Star Citizen fans wearing Star Citizen garb.

There's obviously a whole bunch of people beavering away out there but I fear that SC has fallen into the Duke Nukem trap, of the main creative lead continually chasing a finish line that keeps moving backwards. There were a lot of articles a few years back (Kotaku, I think) around how he kept on throwing in new desires, new demands.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Man. I wish Jason Schrier would write a piece on this.

Yeah, me too. I mean, there must be hundreds of ex employees he could talk to by now.

What I don't get is, who keeps buying these ships?

Anyway, as someone who didn't put any money into this, if SQ42 ever comes out (and is good) I'm gonna play it. If not, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The one thing I find really funny though is the fact that I vaguely remember Roberts talking about the agility of a small team and that they don't have any overhead costs whatsoever and can stretch the funding much further than a normal company could. Yeah, how did that work out?

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

Wow, I had no idea that they already have paid customization beyond the hefty prices of the ships themselves.

I don't think this is a scam, no. I know talented people who have been working there for years and are fully committed to building a great game for fans. I do however think that this the worst case of (still ongoing?) feature creep ever, and that the project has probably become unmanageable for their production team a long time ago. Which should sadly not be too surprising for people who kept track of Chris Roberts previous games.

OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018
Man. I wish Jason Schrier would write a piece on this.
I wish he would too, CIG is full of many JUNIOR employees, many of the senior stuff over the years has left and they put freshly graduated people in senior positions...

At one point, one of the company's senior graphics engineers was ordered by Roberts to spend months, through several iterations, getting the visual effects of the ship shields just right. In addition, workers have had to spend weeks on end making demos so that Cloud Imperium can keep selling spaceships—and raising more money.

From Forbes 2019

BTW WE still dont have the new shield tech..

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I'm sure it is but that's not an excuse for them to not finish the game. I'd never heard of these guys before but I'll never buy into another one of their ventures, that much is for sure.

If you never heard of Chris Roberts before, then you probably aren't the target audience for Star Citizen, at least not during its crowdfunding phase.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm still amazed why people spend so much money on something that is still in development, or rather spend so much money on a Videogame at all, but they made their choices, and have now to live with it.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
this project is a mess

all i cared about was SQ42 honestly. I don't care about the MMO part. I play EVE Online (mostly in winter, when I have time) for my space MMO

I just wanted a new modern wing commander tbh

them trying to be so ambitious with a singleplayer game + mmo at same time is just a nightmare. don't know what they were thinking. and both ballooned out of control with feature creep. especially with nonsensical gameplay mechanics it has, I mean just look at these nonsensical breathing mechancics.: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14653-Design-Notes-FPS-Stances-Breathing

why is this so important to be so detailed, for what is supposed to be a space game? this makes sense for games like ARMA or maybe something like Escape from Tarkov. but this? why? what intrinsiic gameplay value is here for the space game? and given how shit the spaceflight mechanics are, they can't even focus attention on the core mechanics of the game to be good.

i'm glad all I did was back whatever the 50 € equivalent tier was on kickstarter and that's all

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A responsible developer would have released a limited scope game years ago and iterated over it many times by now. Pretty much the live service format. What CIG doesn't realise is when this all crashes and burns those same whales with a lot of disposable income will have no problems taking them to court.
For Star Citizen (the mmo game) that's what they've done. But not for SQ42.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
I was an initial backer and I lost all faith in this project when they revealed they essentially blew all their funding and would be selling ships to continue funding the game. The most successfully funded kickstarter game of all time and absolutely fuck all to show for the years of development. This game will never be anything other than a functional alpha and vaporware.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
and both ballooned out of control with feature creep. especially with nonsensical gameplay mechanics it has, I mean just look at these nonsensical breathing mechancics.: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14653-Design-Notes-FPS-Stances-Breathing

I think that pretty much sums the whole thing up at this point. A weird obsession to be the most detailed and realistic in everything they do, without stopping to ask if doing so will actually make the game better, or more fun. Of course, they also severed ties with the initial developer of the FPS portion I think...

The most successfully funded kickstarter game of all time and absolutely fuck all to show for the years of development.

People keep saying this, but it is flat out incorrect. Star Citizen made around 2.1M on Kickstarter, which is far from being the most successful gaming Kickstarter. That is a third of the 6.3M Shenmue 3 made.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this, but it is flat out incorrect. Star Citizen made around 2.1M on Kickstarter, which is far from being the most successful gaming Kickstarter. That is a third of the 6.3M Shenmue 3 made.

Sorry I should've been more clear, I meant at the time. Still doesn't change that they blew a stupid amount of money and haven't delivered.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
What they've done in performance and facial capturing surely must be outdated by the time it releases. Might still look good as games do these days, but still...

Kotaku Report
OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018
Kotaku also published a good article:

Even Star Citizen Fans Are Getting Shitty About Squadron 42
fans might possibly be the most patient group of humans in the universe. Not only have they tolerated one of the longest and loudest development cycles for a game in history, they've continually poured out their wallets to make the space epic's feature creep a reality, making Star Citizen the most expensive game in history.

www.kotaku.com.au

Even Star Citizen Fans Are Getting Shitty About Squadron 42

Even the diehard Star Citizen fans are getting angsty about a lack of updates for Squadron 42, the space opera's single-player spin-off.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Oh man I would love to take this thing over and cut it back down to size and turn it into a releasable project. Just take those scissors and snip snip snip.

Explorable Planets? Gone.
Explorable Space Stations? Purely UI and menu based from now on.
Thousands of players on the same server? Invite a maximum of four friends for multi crew vessels. I you're lucky you'll get a hub with 20 active players.
Hours of footage featuring Hollywood cast? Have you heard about bitmap character art and text boxes?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it is but that's not an excuse for them to not finish the game. I'd never heard of these guys before but I'll never buy into another one of their ventures, that much is for sure.

Let's just say that the game promised in the KS is no longer there. It evolved to an scale and production way beyond of what was promised which would probably require another $300 million and another several years to be fully realised.

Is the equivalent of someone promising a nice small walled garden and then it decides to build the Great Wall of China and that someone is a guy that barely could make walled gardens is the first place without being terribly at managing projects.

OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018

The game is only 7 or 8 years into your average 25-30 year game development cycle. It's perfectly normal to say the game is almost finished in 2016 and not have an alpha in 2020. Have you guys even paid attention to how games are made before? Alpha then Beta then release candidate and stuff?

Frankly, I wouldn't get worried about SQ42 delays until 2037 or 2038. By which time CIG will have crossed the 5 Billion dollar mark in crowdfunding and the project will likely transition to be headed by Chris Robert's oldest son when Chris retires or dies, as is typically the case with game dynasties.

Super excited for my grandsons to play the game at release day with me. Pre-ordering another ship for the bargain price of several hundred dollars.

Haters gonna hate when they see me flying in my shiny spaceship. Oh how they will wail and cry in despair. Hahaha.
This is so accurate it hurts as a longtime fan. If you follow the Subreddit you know thats how they defend a 300 million dollar company.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Geez louise... 8 years already? Their development time is pretty much gonna be longer than the current gen cycle.

In light of that, I do wonder what the recommended spec for the finished product would have cost at the originally-hoped-for release date. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if no realistic home PC that existed at the time of the KS could realistically run the final game.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Why is not some independent governing body to look into crowd funded projects? They are literally playing with people's money, 8 years for a game is way too long.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fully agree, Blond Hair technology TAKES TIME!

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
As someone who backed SC/SQ42 during the original campaign (limited edition boxed version...) I must admit at this point the lack of concrete movement on SQ42 is getting me down. The main reason I backed this was for a full on Crysis level spiritual successor to the Wing Commander series. I need my cinematic space opera fix damnit!

Really ticks me off that Star Citizen took priority considering I have zero interest in playing any kind of online MMO in space, I just want my single player space combat fix :(

OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018
As someone who backed SC/SQ42 during the original campaign (limited edition boxed version...) I must admit at this point the lack of concrete movement on SQ42 is getting me down. The main reason I backed this was for a full on Crysis level spiritual successor to the Wing Commander series. I need my cinematic space opera fix damnit!

Really ticks me off that Star Citizen took priority considering I have zero interest in playing any kind of online MMO in space, I just want my single player space combat fix :(
Actually... this is what bugs most fans. CIG said priority is on SQ42...yet its till nowhere to be seen. Progress on SC is so slow the last year

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
I pledged during the initial kickstarter. At this point i'm not at all hopeful, but if something actually comes of it that'd be grand. The 'universe' mode is still more or less a tech demo and I really don't know why the single player hasn't had any meaningful progress - I'd thought the original goal was to get that game out before the MMO.
Pretty similar here. I paid my initial $40 I think it was all those years ago and am now pretty much resigned to the the whole thing never arriving. At least not anywhere near the form and scope I paid money for. I do think it's vaporware until someone decides to cut back on 'feature-creep - the game' and all this added stuff they think I'm excited for - I'm not.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What most people dont realize is that they cant finish development because then the backer ship revenue will drown out. Its their model.

Even if they started with good intentions, the moment people started buying fake ships and plots of land they sealed the deal on this games development.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
This would not be an issue if they released the game while still accapeting donations to add more content. It just sounds like a scam by having the donations remain open, that way they can employ themselves forever essentially because they can make it look like the game will always grow without ever having an official release.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that some people have spent more on an incomplete game than I've spent in 10 years on games.

jakob ben-oni

Oct 27, 2017
This would not be an issue if they released the game while still accapeting donations to add more content. It just sounds like a scam by having the donations remain open, that way they can employ themselves forever essentially because they can make it look like the game will always grow without ever having an official release.

donations? I thought they were selling in game items for a game that may never exist? In game items are still products.