• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I was hoping to play it on the PS5 but I guess this is a no go. /s

Seriously, there must people addicted to "funding" this game.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): antagonistic trolling
This whole thing is just a cult and obelisk to the sunk cost fallacy.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): antagonistic trolling
49mn0y.jpg

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Is a 600 employee independent developer with no other source of revenue that selling virtual ships to whales. Morally dubious but there's no other way for the company to stay afloat.
When they've already raised more money than most games have ever cost? What a joke that there's 'no other way'. They have private investors too, and if they have a viable product and go seek more investors, they could absolutely secure them. I mean, if you think it's fine to manipulate their core audience/fans into spending more money than any other game ever, going towards a game with quite frankly questionable progress, then more power to you. I see a company spending a shit load of their time fundraising and selling digital starships for tens of thousands of dollars and it honestly just makes me sick, this is also ignoring all of the work they have reportedly thrown away or restarted as a result of mismanagement. "There's no other way". Ok.

I would actually not be surprised if another game came out before Star Citizen with similar gameplay and scope. Just minus all the theatrics of it's development

edit: it looks like they've raised about 60 million in private investments so far as of four months ago: https://gamingstreet.com/cloud-imperium-raises-17-25m-in-funding-for-star-citizen/

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
People need to chill. Like M-E-L-L-O-W O-U-T brahs!

The game is only 7 or 8 years into your average 25-30 year game development cycle. It's perfectly normal to say the game is almost finished in 2016 and not have an alpha in 2020. Have you guys even paid attention to how games are made before? Alpha then Beta then release candidate and stuff?

Frankly, I wouldn't get worried about SQ42 delays until 2037 or 2038. By which time CIG will have crossed the 5 Billion dollar mark in crowdfunding and the project will likely transition to be headed by Chris Robert's oldest son when Chris retires or dies, as is typically the case with game dynasties.

Super excited for my grandsons to play the game at release day with me. Pre-ordering another ship for the bargain price of several hundred dollars.

Haters gonna hate when they see me flying in my shiny spaceship. Oh how they will wail and cry in despair. Hahaha.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Massive amount of employees. More money than any studio would know what to do with. Little to show for it.

Star Citizen in a nutshell.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at recent footage, the game already doesn't look all that impressive. It's actually a little ugly in some parts. If you go from top of the line graphics that no one has ever seen before to an average looking game in the span of development you're probably taking too long.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
We're about to cross into a 3rd generation of gaming since SC was first in development, and still no packaged game from CIG.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone actually verified that these employees exist? xD

I will continue to say it, this game will need at least three full length documentaries to cover the shenanigans it left in its wake.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
To sum up the thread in advance:

Star Citizen "haters": Wow, this game is a massive scam. Selling ships without finishing their game. Someone should look into some kind of lawsuit!

Star Citizen stans: You don't know what you're talking about! There's tons of communication and they've been building a game from scratch! There's never been anything like this! You just have this irrational hatred for the game and Chris Roberts.

The people who are interested but not too invested: Glad I only pitched in $40-$60. Kinda sucks that it's not out but no real skin off my back.

Interestingly enough, so far 3 pages in the "Star Citizen stans" group has not even appeared. Guess even they are tired of this?

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Yeah even the hardcore defenders are now starting to ask questions the rest of us asked three years ago.

The infinity project which is Star Citizen I no longer care about I only care about Squadron 42 now.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Star Citizen will become a simulation, not a game.
It will simulate the entire universe, in full detail. Big bang, the creation of earth, evolution of animals and plants, everything up till the point where the game called Star Citizen is about to be made. At that point the simulation will crash, cause not even there can this game be completed.
8174.gif

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly enough, so far 3 pages in the "Star Citizen stans" group has not even appeared. Guess even they are tired of this?

I'm not sure any of them are left on Era.

Mostly bailed on the forum, sadly. Not much to do in threads like this. I'd say overall group 3 sums up the vibe of the community, just substitute different numbers for different people. Everyone's laying low and killing time.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I remember after the first year of the original Kickstarter certain games media reporters and writers expressed concern that Chris Roberts had an industry reputation for not meeting deadlines.

This was even mentioned on something as high profile as gt Bonus Round back in those days.

6 years later and they continue to be proven right on this point.

Roberts can't hit a deadline if his life depended on it.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
To be clear I'm not trying to insinuate that this is how I feel, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to look at the almost evergreen development nature that could be Star Citizen where new ships can be sold and new benefits can be offered and compare it to the static nature of the more "traditional" Squadron 42 and see how CIG would go beyond prioritizing SC but to the point where they are sandbagging the release of Squadron 42. Because just imagine a scenario where after this many years of development and after the insane cast that S42 releases and the gameplay and story are pretty mediocre to your average gamer (or just in general). That sort of finality with a project that is directly related to SC could really hurt the project.

Again, I only very casually follow the development of the game so I hope this isn't interpreted as me trying to suggest some conspiracy, just that I at least understand the people that would believe that and I understand how consciously or subconsciously this could actually be somewhat true in regards to S42.

Or it could just be really poorly managed.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is this game a pyramid scheme ? a tax haven of some kind ? there's obviously something crooked going on under the hood. I suppose we need a "duke nukem forever" every decade to keep things interesting.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The most fucked up thing about SQ42 is that it's planned as an episodic release, in three chapters. Eight years later we have nothing, and I should believe they will manage three parts?

I've accepted that the money I invested in the Kickstarter won't accomplish what I thought.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
To sum up the thread in advance:

Star Citizen "haters": Wow, this game is a massive scam. Selling ships without finishing their game. Someone should look into some kind of lawsuit!

Star Citizen stans: You don't know what you're talking about! There's tons of communication and they've been building a game from scratch! There's never been anything like this! You just have this irrational hatred for the game and Chris Roberts.

The people who are interested but not too invested: Glad I only pitched in $40-$60. Kinda sucks that it's not out but no real skin off my back.

iu

Nov 21, 2019
This game has been fascinating to follow. Wonder if we'd ever see a rogue ex-employee reveal what's happening internally inside the studio or something, I want to know what's really going on.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I pledged during the initial kickstarter. At this point i'm not at all hopeful, but if something actually comes of it that'd be grand. The 'universe' mode is still more or less a tech demo and I really don't know why the single player hasn't had any meaningful progress - I'd thought the original goal was to get that game out before the MMO.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This game has been fascinating to follow. Wonder if we'd ever see a rogue ex-employee reveal what's happening internally inside the studio or something, I want to know what's really going on.
I dunno if there's really anything dramatic going on. It's not just one studio, it's a bunch of studios all over the world working together to make a single game with a AAAA budget - in the best of times that would be incredibly hard to manage, in this case they also have one of the worst cases of feature-creep ever, for years whenever they got more money they added to the features. Plus it seems that the people in charge only really care about the MMO aspect and not the single player game.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
People need to chill. Like M-E-L-L-O-W O-U-T brahs!

The game is only 7 or 8 years into your average 25-30 year game development cycle. It's perfectly normal to say the game is almost finished in 2016 and not have an alpha in 2020. Have you guys even paid attention to how games are made before? Alpha then Beta then release candidate and stuff?

Frankly, I wouldn't get worried about SQ42 delays until 2037 or 2038. By which time CIG will have crossed the 5 Billion dollar mark in crowdfunding and the project will likely transition to be headed by Chris Robert's oldest son when Chris retires or dies, as is typically the case with game dynasties.

Super excited for my grandsons to play the game at release day with me. Pre-ordering another ship for the bargain price of several hundred dollars.

Haters gonna hate when they see me flying in my shiny spaceship. Oh how they will wail and cry in despair. Hahaha.
I am shocked no one has replied to this. Bravo. Just *chefs kiss*

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember waiting for Strike Commander. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Fuck me I'm old.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason no one in the industry is crazy enough to work with Roberts and why he was fired from prety much every venture he went into, man has no management skills

And the ego of a thousand burning suns

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
A responsible developer would have released a limited scope game years ago and iterated over it many times by now. Pretty much the live service format. What CIG doesn't realise is when this all crashes and burns those same whales with a lot of disposable income will have no problems taking them to court.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
A responsible developer would have released a limited scope game years ago and iterated over it many times by now. Pretty much the live service format. What CIG doesn't realise is when this all crashes and burns those same whales with a lot of disposable income will have no problems taking them to court.

Roberts will be on his own island in Thailand sipping coconuts by then though :P.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Imagine how many independent video games could be funded with the amount of money Star Citizen has raised.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Eh...the game is old news at this point.

It doesn't matter what happens now. They missed their shot to make an impact, and whatever ends up releasing won't be anywhere close to what was promised. Outside of another crowdsourced project, the management team on Star Citizen won't be doing much once it releases. The game has been a joke for a while. It'll come and go.

The small group of whales will keep everything going, and everyone else will move on; taking the whole thing as a lesson learned on kickstarting massive projects like this.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Man even 38 studios managed to put out a game before they collapsed like a dying start

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
650 employees at CIG? That's just insane. Nevermind 300 mill. I guess they got their fanbase roped in for years to come.

It's funny to me how they keep dumping money into this project. Or sad. I played one of the free weekends or whatever and what I experienced was a barely functioning tech demo. This stuff convinces people to keep giving CIG even more money?

There model isnt sustainable. Once the game is 'done' they wont get new sales. They'll need to fund their 650 employees... And then the only solution is to turn to f2p economy and milk hard again. But if your fans are onay soending hundreds or a thousand on a virtual ship in a not much more than a promise of a game so far, then maybe they are confident in their ability to get money flowing non stop from their hardcore followers

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My view on this - they were getting better at communicating on what they are working on right now and what is planned to come out over the course of the next three month. And they mostly made good on that.

This game is systems driven. If a system doesn't work, it halts development but if it does, it speeds up things because it's relatively simple to use it. Over the last few years they have set up an insane pipeline for producing content. They have also some hurdles left. Without the server meshing, they can't really fill out the world online much further or get better performance. They have still not finished the revamped flight system I believe - which is gonna be crucial for SQ42 too.

Call it whatever you want, but at the heart of the game there's a development team that's passionate about what they are working on. It's not okay to call other developers lazy, it's not okay to call these scammers I think.

This team has also been hit by Covid. How couldn't they have been. When it's okay for other teams to get some time on top because of the circumstances, they should also get this.

When you look at how they have communicated in these last two years, you will noticed that they have become more careful about their roadmap. That's why I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt with their SQ42 plan. Should they miss that beta without good reason, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Chris Roberts is a good hype man but not a good head of the development team. Don't trust what he says in regards to when stuff is coming trust what the dev team shows and comminicates.

It's not cool to target whales. Don't buy these ships - at this point hold out a little bit more. 2021 is where it's at - hopefully.