• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
A shame it becomes all incel-ly whenever they bring up the female armors. "Where's the bikini armor." Seen several posts like that all over, even with other evocati.

Yeah, I have several people from the community on my ignore list over there. Some stuff is just plain sad.
Thankfully CIG don't seem very inclined to listen to these kinds of demands.
So far, the female armor is looking great imo.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
A shame it becomes all incel-ly whenever they bring up the female armors. "Where's the bikini armor." Seen several posts like that all over, even with other evocati.
Curiously, the Reddit community seems to be averse to that, even though it skews younger than than the SC community at large.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

You see that type of stuff everywhere, not only regarding video games, but movie and comic book fans as well. I would have that any self respecting Sci Fi nerd would want more groan at the idea of armor like that. Thankfully most comments I have seen are happy about CIG's design choices (for the most part).

So who's getting the Origin 890 Jump? That ship looks incredible! Anyway, it's hard to really get excited about 3.4. It looks like the object container streaming and procedual city rendering performance improvements might not make 3.4. 3.5 looks to be where most of my anticipation is right now.

There are a few Org members that have it already. Five of them, to be exact.

Zalusithix

Oct 25, 2017
There are a few Org members that have it already. Five of them, to be exact.
Six actually. The formula for the one page of the roster wasn't updated to keep track of the 40th ship/module slot when I added the PTU tracking function, and sixth Jump was slotted in that column because somebody was trying to be sly lol. That said, one of those is probably not going to be kept, and another is owned by somebody we haven't actually met, and thus the roster might not be up to date for them. I'd only count on 3-4 making it through to the end of the ship merry-go-round of melting and buying.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need to see receipts or else I'm going to assume you're just speculating.

Jeremiah Lee basically states this is for Hurston "Old money" management. Unless they specifically point out is for the players I assume it isn't. Saves unneeded heartbreak from an expectation they didn't explicitly nor implicitly provide. Do you have confirmation they are for players to purchase? If not, I'm going to assume you're just speculating.

Last edited:

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Jeremiah Lee basically states this is for Hurston "Old money" management. Unless they specifically point out is for the players I assume it isn't. Saves unneeded heartbreak from an expectation they didn't explicitly nor implicitly provide. Do you have confirmation they are for players to purchase? If not, I'm going to assume you're just speculating.

Yes, I guess I am speculating, but unless they suddenly changed their design philosophy, NPCs use the same inventory system players use and anything we see on an NPC should be able to be equipable by a player(hopefully made more apparently when the physical inventory is implemented). And if they put the effort into making clothing that's able to be worn by players, why wouldn't they be purchaseable (or lootable)?

Besides, nothing from what Jermiah Lee said indicated it was for two specific NPCs, it sounded much more like he was working on the clothing aesthetic of the Hurston upper class. And there will probably be some upper class clothing stores at some point.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would find it dumb if players can buy the exact clothes as mission givers, they should have unique armors/clothes IMO.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I guess I am speculating, but unless they suddenly changed their design philosophy, NPCs use the same inventory system players use and anything we see on an NPC should be able to be equipable by a player(hopefully made more apparently when the physical inventory is implemented). And if they put the effort into making clothing that's able to be worn by players, why wouldn't they be purchaseable (or lootable)?

Besides, nothing from what Jermiah Lee said indicated it was for two specific NPCs, it sounded much more like he was working on the clothing aesthetic of the Hurston upper class. And there will probably be some upper class clothing stores at some point.

That is a great idea, but honest question..... Have you seen NPC's or mission givers wearing clothing and armor, maybe even unique color schemes you cannot purchase? I know you should know this, I am sure it was mentioned in the org about the stuff people in Lorville were wearing. If you look closely enough it seems to have always been this way. NPC's have always had some things unique to them that aren't purchasable. That states nothing about the inventory system, but more about the availability of certain items and color schemes. For example the subscriber armors are unique color variants of what is available in game. You cannot purchase them in the verse though.

Also since this isn't the first time Jeremiah has shown a concept spread like this. How many items from a single sheet like that survive the process? It is unlikely we will see more than one of those designs and in addition there are most likely more that they haven't shown us, to make sure there is sufficient enough variation.

I am just building my view not only off what was said, but what they did in the past and what you can see in game right now. I am not saying that it is impossible they offer them, I am just pointing out they didn't indicate that at all.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping we can obtain everything NPCs have in game. Even if we can't purchase it, I'd like to loot it. NPC "exclusive" cosmetics could make for pretty valuable loot.

Even subscriber perks ought to be available for purchase, or at least acquisition, in game eventually. The whole idea here, as repeatedly stated by CR, is that no in game items are obtained only by real money transactions.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
They also released their 2012-2017 financials and announced that they raised $46M for the sole purpose of preparing for S42's marketing campaign in exchange for 10% of the shares at CIG.

That was an impressive the newsletter, in a good way.

As for the roadmap, I'm excited by pretty much all of their core engine tasks :).

Edit : Holy shit. The heat task description went a lot further than I ever imagined that system would. This roadmap is gold.
Improvements to the heat system to provide a more systemic experience between items and vehicles. This will cover a variety of issues and their effect on vehicles, from how heat affects various components in a ship to incorporating heat values into the room system, all the way up to defining the ambient heat of a solar system.

That one is going to be sweet.
Implementing a series of improvements to the atmospheric flight effects, such as entry, exit, and contrails. Some of the elements that are going to be worked on include smoother, systemic transitions from space to planet, contrails variance within a gas cloud, improved turbulence effects, and use of signed distance fields for atmospheric burn effects.

Hey, that one too. About ship AI and pathfinding in the 'verse, which is pretty interesting given the scale and challenges posed by the physics grids.
Building the foundational technology that allows AI to navigate in 3D space by utilizing the physics grid. The path search will be hierarchical and will not only use the physical data but also other factors, for example, the graph connection of the QT points. When complete, this system will scale to the size of the universe and be able to accommodate all content such as asteroid fields, planets, space stations, etc.

And millions of voices cried out in joy
The work will also include improving the contrast of the UI against brighter backdrops and expanding the surface area upon which the auxiliary UI elements are projected.

That one is huge, softbody-based physics and damage. I am taking the softbody qualifier with a fistful of salt given how intensive I think those simulations are, not to mention the can of worms it opens with physics grids and zones. I think it will be limited in range of deformation.
Making use of the physics engine to create a system that looks spectacular as well as behaves realistically when large objects such as ships are being damaged by weaponry or colliding with other ships, locations, or even planets.

Large-scale shadows! *squees*
Improvements to the shadow system to allow multiple large-scale shadow maps as opposed to the single large-scale map we currently use. This task would also include support for large-scale shadows to be dynamic for use on capital ships.

It's stupid but seeing that the bengal will be complete in a year really makes me smile. It's such a great ship and was the first one we saw.

The HDR pipeline and exposure improvement sound interesting as well, especially with the recent thread about light not being "bounced" into the cockpit.

That one is pretty exciting and very important for the future and variety of hardware running the game.

Efficiency improvements to the mesh & texture streaming systems to provide greater detail with lower memory usage. This will be achieved through a new shared set of logic as to how we prioritize different assets to achieve a balance between detail and memory usage proportional to the available video memory that can scale all the way from very low to very high spec.

CE was well overdue this for SSRs. I'll always be happy to see mirrors in games again, especially if it's as efficient as RTT seems to be compared to RTX (:p).
New implementation of screen space reflections to better handle glossy surfaces and disocclusion. Add support for renderer to support 'mirrored' cameras to allow render-to-texture to be used for accurate mirror reflections (where performance allows).

I'm still going through it but from the depth of the core engine features alone I can feel CIG throwing around its true dev weight. Going through this the sheer amount of work to create a game keeps boggling my mind.

Last edited:

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As they don't want to start with alpha until things are pretty much done, I'd wager we might get a really good look at the game. They want us to test the thing after all.
As for the process, I'm guessing it'll be similar to how we do things now. ETF release first, then staggered release to the rest of the backers with a SQ42 package.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
The same caveats will apply to the Squadron 42 roadmap as they do to the PU's, but our plan is to be feature and content complete by the end of 2019, with the first 6 months of 2020 for Alpha (balance, optimization, and polish) and then Beta.

i thought we would have it by next year but apparently the first 6 months of 2020 will be used to polish the single player... they are aiming for beta by the 2nd half of 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
i thought we would have it by next year but apparently the first 6 months of 2020 will be used to polish the single player... they are aiming for beta by the 2nd half of 2020.
Realistically pen it for Q4 2021.

Just looking over the S42 roadmap it really looks like they just scrapped everything not related to mocapping and restarted its development.

Casually glancing over the financial stuff it looks like they'll need about 90mill to get to 2020 without unforeseen costs have 12 mil on hand with 45 brought in from investors. More interesting is Dan Offner being added to CIG's board. Most recently associated with Oculus and closing the deal with Facebook. My hot take is to not be surprised if Amazon will try to buy CIG, or actually do it over the next year.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically pen it for Q4 2021.

Just looking over the S42 roadmap it really looks like they just scrapped everything not related to mocapping and restarted its development.

Casually glancing over the financial stuff it looks like they'll need about 90mill to get to 2020 without unforeseen costs have 12 mil on hand with 45 brought in from investors. More interesting is Dan Offner being added to CIG's board. Most recently associated with Oculus and closing the deal with Facebook. My hot take is to not be surprised if Amazon will try to buy CIG, or actually do it over the next year.

Did you really look at it? They have so many things that are 50 or more tasks into completion in addition to version 2 or 3 of core tech and even "improvements" are all over it. What parts exactly leads you to believe they restarted the "entire" thing as opposed to it taking along time to complete?

Just as a metric, shubin mining facility itself is 3 times the size of a bengal carrier. Entire systems, planets, unique ships and stations are created for S42 that are not in SC PU. It is amazing to think they were further along even seeing the roadmap. It makes sense given the mechanics and core tech on the list. Some of them simply could not have been done before.

Last edited:

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Some screenshots from the new district in Lorville:

J8nytfv.jpg

9oZiQxD.jpg

Fc42Hh0.jpg

I think it looks absolutely amazing. And it adds some lore to the whole planet and city too, good stuff. But it could do with some exclusive shops.

And some other random screenshots:

7gNF99C.jpg

wrdXPDm.jpg

T71USBm.jpg

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great shots Nekyrrev. The new areas look quite good, but yeah, I wish there was a bit more to do there. Lorville really needs a weapons shop and imo could do with a little more stuff to do. The potential is there at least, I hope that they keep expanding the city, but I guess the focus is on Arccorp and Area 18 for the next patch.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Consistent history of trolling and antagonizing other members; numerous accumulated infractions
Tried the latest patch, comparing it to what we've seen of Cyberpunk is a joke.

MVeZhT7.jpg

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
just bought a 9900k to replace my 6700k that just died a few days ago and getting 60+ fps with it overclocked in Lorville. Feels good walking around at that high of an fps.

Congrats on the upgrade!
Holding off on upgrading just a little longer (hoping AMD does something interesting at CES), but really can't wait to see some higher fps in more populated areas. Should be a good jump up from my old 3570k.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Got a email saying PTU was open to all, but I don't have access to it. What's happening?
Do you have the separate ptu launcher and is your ptu button lit up in your account settings? (It should be. I didn't have to recopy my account from earlier ptu builds, so your old login might still work).
Looks like they're running a stress test this weekend for 3.4.2 with a bunch of free fly ships as incentive.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017

Good informations in the last ATV.
The audio revamp for the ships, which was absolutely needed, sounds good so far. It was really immersion-breaking until now imo.

The addition of gestures for the hearing impaired persons is really well-made, I like the idea.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The addition of gestures for the hearing impaired persons is really well-made, I like the idea.
This looks pretty cool, reactions I've read from people with hearing disabilities are also very positive. If they add something like a subtitle or action text in the chatbox i might even learn a few signs. (Knowledge of sign language is not very common where I live, unfortunately).

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
So what progress have they done since last update?
Off the top of my head, in 3.5 the major upgrades are:

-New flight model, and finally a true atmospheric flight model. (Plus new sounds for every ships)
-Playable female character (about time)
-New faces customization system, with basically and infinite number of variations (contrary to the finite number of heads we had until now). This will be used for players and NPCs.
-ArcCorp planet, its landing zone and its 2 moons.

ArcCorp is really looking good btw, and the fact that you can land on the tallest buildings adds a lot to the scope.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...ally_made_it_quick_clip_of_arrow_flying_over/

Last edited:

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Off the top of my head, in 3.5 the major upgrades are:

-New flight model, and finally a true atmospheric flight model. (Plus new sounds for every ships)
-Playable female character (about time)
-New faces customization system, with basically and infinite number of variations (contrary to the finite number of heads we had until now). This will be used for players and NPCs.
-ArcCorp planet, its landing zone and its 2 moons.

ArcCorp is really looking good btw, and the fact that you can land on the tallest buildings adds a lot to the scope.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...ally_made_it_quick_clip_of_arrow_flying_over/

Thanks!

There have been silence the last months regarding the advancements, at least for one like myself that isn't following it so hard.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017

Some very good views of ArcCorp right at the beginning of this video.

And later on they show the new character customizer, which honestly looks way better than expected.
The update should be out this week-end ! I'll try to post some screenshots here.