• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

Frankly speaking, we wanted to hold this particular announcement for a while.
But our colleagues at Epic accidentally made a New Year surprise for everyone, including us.

GSC Game World team constantly searches for the best technologies to work with, and UE was the most suitable choice for us.

It gives the opportunity to make the game you wait for with the atmosphere of tension and mystery the flesh and blood of the STALKER universe.
Additionally, Unreal Engine harmonizes well with our goal to make modding more easy and accessible.
User modifications help the world of the Zone to live on while we are busy with making a sequel, and we can't be more grateful for that.

Yes, we know what you are thinking about, but this announcement has nothing to do with platforms or digital stores.

We will talk about this later.

Cheeki breeki if old

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is still being made? I guess there hasn't been much progress on it?

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Sergey Galyonkin, creator of SteamSpy and current Director of Publishing Strategy at Epic Games, implied that this was the case back when it was first announced in 2018. The original tweet from him was deleted, but this article makes a mention of it:
guess the engine, lol
— Sergey Galyonkin (@galyonkin) May 15, 2018
News comes by way of Sergey Galyonkin, an employee of Epic Games and the creator of the SteamSpy service. In a Tweet, Galyonkin seems to be indicating that GSC has licensed Epic's Unreal Engine 4 to create its next game.
www.polygon.com

STALKER 2 announced, scheduled for 2021 release

‘Get out of here, STALKER’

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda funny that the existence of EGS warrants that kind of disclaimer.

Oct 29, 2017
cdc.jpg

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The only question I have is how suitable UE4 is for a persistent world, and how much modification it'd need.
Because STALKER without a fully persistent world and the AI/faction dynamics is not something I'd be interested in (as it'd just become Metro with larger areas), and very very very few games try to do this because it's a lot of work on engine level...more so if the game has object permanence like Bethesda games.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
The only question I have is how suitable UE4 is for a persistent world, and how much modification it'd need.
Because STALKER without a fully persistent world and the AI/faction dynamics is not something I'd be interested in (as it'd just become Metro with larger areas), and very very very few games try to do this because it's a lot of work on engine level...more so if the game has object permanence like Bethesda games.
I think Days Gone did this relatively well. A game which really focuses on those things as pillars could do even better.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I think Days Gone did this relatively well. A game which really focuses on those things as pillars could do even better.
Days Gone doesn't have a persistent world.
And the factions were just reps to buy things in camps. In Stalker and New Vegas factions are physical entities that exist and engage with each other without input from you. And the NPCs have inventories etc.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of the opposite of my point.

"this announcement has nothing to do with platforms or digital stores. "

Suggests it's not going to be an exclusive. Or at least they have not made decisions on that stuff yet.

gotta soften the blow. maybe im wrong and by the time this is out Epic have stopped the exclusives shenanigans, but i have serious doubts

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Probably a smart move though I'll miss the Xray jank. I'll allow it if they implement raytracing.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of the opposite of my point.

"this announcement has nothing to do with platforms or digital stores. "

Suggests it's not going to be an exclusive. Or at least they have not made decisions on that stuff yet.
I think that they're still in the process of securing funding and if they can't the amount they want through investors/publishers, they'll go Epic exclusive.
Though not set in stone, it is probably very likely that it will at least be a timed-exclusive.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
My question is how many UE4 games are out there with Stalker level of modding?

STALKER modding is something special, very few games have modding communities at that level. For a current engine, I think UE4 is the best choice in terms of accessibility.

This is basically my dream game if they can pull this off, so I really hope this turns out well!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that they're still in the process of securing funding and if they can't the amount they want through investors/publishers, they'll go Epic exclusive.
Though not set in stone, it is probably very likely that it will at least be a timed-exclusive.
going Epic Store exclusive isn't going to get them development funds if that's what they're looking for

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
going Epic Store exclusive isn't going to get them development funds if that's what they're looking for
Won't get them all of what they need, but it's still a significant chunk of money. There's also nothing stopping them from having investor/publisher funding AND being epic exclusive. See: Metro Exodus.

RazorbackDB

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird to be talking about choosing an engine without showing anything, makes me think the game is in an even earlier development stage than I hoped for, anyway UE4 is a great engine and with source code access for everyone it doesn't event matter if it's not tailor made for what S.T.A.L.K.E.R. needs.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't get them all of what they need, but it's still a significant chunk of money. There's also nothing stopping them from having investor/publisher funding AND being epic exclusive. See: Metro Exodus.
I know, they just need to solve the investor part before they start worrying about where they'll sell the game. hell, they should try to pitch their company to Epic. if Psyonix is anything to go by, Epic just might be interesting in releasing games again

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if any of the old GSC crew working on this? If memory serves most of them went to work on Metro.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Kinda funny that the existence of EGS warrants that kind of disclaimer.

Frankly, i'm glad that the devs feel the need to throw that kind of disclaimer out there. Shows that the unrest around EGS does get back to them and that they know that going EGS exclusive runs the risk of poisoning the well with their community.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Well yeah, plenty of non-UE games get EGS moneyhats. Must be trying to gauge reactions to EGS exclusivity before pulling the trigger.
I think they're talking about how Epic is mainly only willing to pay for games that are finished or close enough to be certain.

Last edited:

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Modding is extremely important. Couldn't imagine playing a STALKER game without them.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Epic funding their own exclusives from the ground up would be vastly preferable to last minute moneyhats. Less uncertainty and confusion that way, and perhaps devs who really need the money can benefit rather than just those who can already afford to finish their games.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Even if it ends up EGS exclusive this is a much better approach to it then talking down to customers like others have done in the past. Respect.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if any of the old GSC crew working on this? If memory serves most of them went to work on Metro.
Probably very few original developers left, if any. A large chunk of them left to form 4A games at the end of STALKER 1's development. Then the team working on the original STALKER 2 project left after it was cancelled to form Vostok Games. Some may have gone back since then, but many seem to have a negative opinion of the owner of GSC with how he handled things.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Good points.

Hopefully UE4 can be modified enough to suit that game's target.