• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Lately more and more publishers are going for staggered releases where Ultimate editions of the games get unlocked few days earlier. And honestly that kinda ruins game releases (at least for me). Game releases don't feel like events anymore. This year Anthem was first one where i kinda didn't feel like game was released, if there wasn't that much controversy about it it would be even quieter. Then it was Gears 5, same thing game was just released and now same happened to Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I simply don't have feeling that Ubisoft released big budged AAA game 2 days ago.

TloU Part 2 Outbreak Day previews were bigger event than some of these full game releases. I have no doubt that Cyberpunk 2077, FFVII Remake, TLoU2 and few other games will have proper launches that feel like something big is coming but i can't shake the feeling that we see less and less launches like that. I mean it doesn't help that we are getting less and less games and kinda more mediocre ones either.

What Era thinks, do you prefer one release day launch with big event or these staggered releases with less buzz around them?

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer to play the game as soon as possible.

I don't give a single fuck about ""big event"" leading to the launch of X title.

If i can play a game that i'm interest in as early as possibile, that's good.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not exactly the same but that's how I feel when Switch games get released way later than the other versions. It basically kills the hype for me and I usually skip the games especially when I see the other versions for way cheaper 6 months or a year later.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what a big launch is.

The OTs for Apex and Gears were massively popular at launch.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Game releases don't feel like events anymore.

These games you mention getting staggered releases were never event games in the first place tho so it doesn't really matter if they launch a few days before or not

Actual event games are stuff like:
  • a new Naughty Dog game (sans U:LL)
  • a new Kojima game
  • a 3D Mario/Zelda
  • a Rockstar game
  • Cyberpunk
  • FFVII Remake

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the bigger issue here is that companies hold back releases for people that only pay the standard price.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
My only regret is that the staggered launch for RDR 2 will mean we won't be able to see how much of a monster its concurrent player count would be if it was on steam day 1.

But that's only because I like numbers.

Otherwise I don't care. It actually makes avoiding bad games easier, since I rarely buy the most expensive editions that grant me early access and I don't have any sub services active.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I think the whole gold/elite pay more money to play the game a week early bullshit sucks but I just don't buy into it so it's just one of gamings many lame practices I can roll my eyes at.

Generally I don't really need things to be a big event anymore now I'm older. I'll probably take time off to play Final Fantasy 7 though.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Even without a staggered launch we're pretty much at the point where a bunch of youtubers and streamers are getting the game early to show off. That kinda bugs me more than anything, I'd rather have the chance to play it myself.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Different communities react in different ways. Wildlands was a huge success and you'd think judging by some communities, it barely made a whimper, let alone had a sequel. This is a matter of your viewpoint, and not actual reality.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who gives a fuck about buzz lmao. If I can play Zelda BOTW 2 six months before everyone else I would gladly do so, buzz or not. Im an individual consumer not a shareholder invested in the game's success.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Alternative take:

It's the game launches that suck. A game is only ready to be played once you can play Complete Edition one year later.

May 15, 2019
When staggered releases mean a PC version is weeks or even months later than the consoles I usually end up losing interest in the game because all the hype is gone. Happened with Destiny 2, happened with a few fighting games recently too.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Don't care anymore.

If MS, Ubisoft or EA want to dick the $60/"normal" tier customers, let them. I don't think that it sells the more expensive subs/copies to have 3 days penalty, all it does is pisses people off.

It is fake value. When you have nothing else to offer, but you want that $80-100 for the game, you screw the $60 edition. Gears, Battlfield, Division, Anthem - all premium editions are packed with fudge.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yep. the "get it a day early!" editions are so annoying.

Especially where spoiler heavy games are concerned. Would be insanely frustrating if Sony started doing it with TLOU2

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Try being a Brit in the 90s. Eventually got FFVIII about 8 months after the rest of the world had already finished it.

You're hype can manage 4 days I'm sure.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
What Era thinks, do you prefer one release day launch with big event or these staggered releases with less buzz around them?
Couldn't care less because I rarely buy games at launch due to getting a inferior experience most of the time anyway. When I was young I couldn't wait for most games to release. I'm over 30 now and only care game of the gen type games like BotW.

I am also not surprised that it has come to this. I mean we are living in an age where people pre-order digital games weeks or even months before release with no benefits at all.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
Its one of my most disliked "recent" trends. I see a YTer or somone on here talking about the game and when I check it out I find out its coming out in a week or two unless I pay more money.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Less games? More mediocre game? Wtf lol. There's never been more, high quality games available on such an array of platforms be it mobile, free to play, game pass, ps now, traditional etc.

It sounds like you're just growing up and don't get sucked into the hype of a "new release" anymore.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
When staggered releases mean a PC version is weeks or even months later than the consoles I usually end up losing interest in the game because all the hype is gone. Happened with Destiny 2, happened with a few fighting games recently too.
Same with Epic timed exclusives and Steam releases 1 year later. I would have bought Control day one on Steam for 60€ like I did with Metro Exodus. Now they completely lost all my interest and I will pick this game up when it's cheap.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Nowadays it seems better to just hold off at launch until a few weeks into it. So many games come up glitchy and unpolished and get updates a short while after launch. By that point most people have already finished the main game if they got it at launch.

Jan 21, 2019
So are you more invested in the marketing or the game. Who cares, really? I play games when I feel like it. I rarely buy on launch, usually that's even the inferior version with more bugs and less content. Waiting has become a much better choice for games than getting anything on launch. Imagine buying Red Dead on launch and getting shitty HDR as a reward. Also since waiting allows the hype to subside, you have a much clearer picture of the game and can enjoy it for what it is without all the buzz.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
We've only just really started getting harmonised releases so it's a non issue.

Heck in the PS1 and N64 era games would be released months apart in different territories. Even until recently the games would be released on a Tuesday in some areas and Friday in others.

Total non issue.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like them. The people buying the early access editions let everyone know how much of an unfinished mess a game is before reviews are even out.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer to play the game as soon as possible.

I don't give a single fuck about ""big event"" leading to the launch of X title.

If i can play a game that i'm interest in as early as possibile, that's good.

Uh, ok. Thing is you're not getting to play it any earlier than you otherwise would have if the pay to play early promo didn't exist. They're just actively delaying the release of the other versions by days or weeks

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's a dumb trend but innocuous.

i do admit if this were 15 or so years ago when i had time to blow through 10+ hrs in a game Day 1, i'd be pretty miffed about it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I love staggered releases. I love the work-life balance improvement that they bring.
Instead of having to be in the office at midnight during launch times like how it was done before. :)

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Coming from the era where my release was 6 months or more later than the Japanese release, I'm more than happy to wait a few days now.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I think the bigger issue here is that companies hold back releases for people that only pay the standard price.
While I initially looked down on this practice, it comes back to the fact that games cost more and more to make, yet the average consumer seems to not be ok with games being higher than $60.

So publishers have had to get creative to try and get at least some people to pay more than $60.

Oct 30, 2017
I think it hurts sales. its takes away from the momentum of day 1 purchases. However, this isn't a bad thing for consumers, because now your getting the chance to make even more informed purchases while the people who spent more money than you get to show you the game.

It must be working for them though or else they wouldn't do it. So I guess it's good for everyone.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I initially looked down on this practice, it comes back to the fact that games cost more and more to make, yet the average consumer seems to not be ok with games being higher than $60.

So publishers have had to get creative to try and get at least some people to pay more than $60.

I know why they do it.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Day one is already a hard pill to swallow as most of the time we act as testers for all the nonsense to come. To pay even more for some ultimate edition to get the game a couple days earlier, is the same thing but more money. Only the games I'm a huge huge fan of would I consider taking the risk.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Launch buzz/hype is you buying into marketing. I know it feels good to be part of something, but you should be wary of when that thing is designed to generate FOMO/peer pressure.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
That's why I mostly play games later down the line, too many features locked behind expansions and DLC

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I don't buy games with the goal of being "a part of something". Even when I buy them day one (let's use The Surge 2 as a recent example) I rarely post in the Era OT.

If he hype is influencing your behavior and purchases to such an extent, you have become a cog in the machine, exactly as they want you to be.