• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
https://9to5google.com/2019/10/17/stadia-wifi-launch/

It has now emerged that Stadia on those phones will require Wi-Fi at launch and not work on mobile networks.

During an interview on The Vergecast, Rick Osterloh was asked about using Stadia on Pixel phones. The Google hardware chief said that, "It's just going to run on Wi-Fi to start."

Google confirmed this new requirement to us today, and added that it's "focused on making sure Stadia Founders receive the best possible experience at launch over a WiFi connection."

Damn, I really this really is a paid beta isn't it? Pixels are the only phones supported and thy must be on wifi to work at launch.

Since I don't have a pixel phone, maybe I should cancel and hold off until the real launch next year

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I mean why would you want to use data unless you have unlimited, your cap would disappear immediately

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
wow i can't believe i can play games at the place where i have the games already!

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first I was like "Yeah of course isn't it streaming?".

Then saw some of you talking about data and lol'd my ass out with my slim 1Gb plan.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
As someone not completely versed in how wifi and mobile data work, why would streaming through either be different?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Streaming growing pains

How convenient is too convenient?

The Pixel exclusivity is a stupid mistake but yet again Sony is just as late with opening Remote Play.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone not completely versed in how wifi and mobile data work, why would streaming through either be different?
Most home/Wi-Fi plan have unlimited download/upload nowadays.

Data is a whole other thing this is basically your phone's own internet. Providers, at least here in Canada, aren't giving too much of it in their plans unless you're willing to go for the $'big'$, very expensive plan.

Gaming via streaming on actual phone data, to me, is still a difficult thought to entertain.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was like "Yeah of course isn't it streaming?".

Then saw some of you talking about data and lol'd my ass out with my slim 1Gb plan.
Lol yeah I get nervous just surfing Era on my phone if someone has posted long gifs :s
No outdoor streaming for me anytime soon, unless I sit just outside of my house within the reach of my wifi router:P

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

I kinda see it as more an accessibility gaff than tech.

The idea is that you can play games anywhere on any devices but it's locked to specific Google brand phones and only then on a WiFi connection.

Mobile changed everything about how people use the web and now more than ever people are online via phone than laptop/desktop.

Kinda defeats the purpose of the service.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol yeah I get nervous just surfing Era on my phone if someone has posted long gifs :s
No outdoor streaming for me anytime soon, unless I sit just outside of my house within the reach of my wifi router:P
Months ago, I only had 500Mb. :lol

Hitting a page and seeing GIFs starting to roll were having me hitting 'back' like a mad man.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the whole point of stadia was being able to play on anything with a chrome browser. Pixel exclusive seems kind of dumb

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Most home/Wi-Fi plan have unlimited download/upload nowadays.

Data is a whole other thing this is basically your phone's own internet. Providers, at least here in Canada, aren't giving too much of it in their plans unless you're willing to go for the $'big'$, very expensive plan.

Gaming via streaming on actual phone data, to me, is still a difficult thought to entertain.
But like, is there an actual difference between the two that would cause streaming not to work well over a mobile connection vs wifi? Because if not, why wouldn't they just have a settings option that enabled/disabled streaming over mobile data and have it set to "disabled" by default?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But like, is there an actual difference between the two that would cause streaming not to work well over a mobile connection vs wifi? Because if not, why wouldn't they just have a settings option that enabled/disabled streaming over mobile data and have it set to "disabled" by default?
Oh that's what you meant, my bad.

I have no idea actually. Perhaps they're waiting for telecom providers to go full 5G.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I have to pick and choose streaming a video on youtube with my data plans.

Yet y'all were expecting streaming actual triple A games.
SMDH.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Stadia feeling more and more like a data collection exercise than a legit service with long-term sustainability or even intent.

I mean, that is Google's traditional business model -- create services that can easily collect user data and sell that data to third parties. I'm guessing its various partners in Stadia, like Ubisoft, are interested in seeing demand data for this type of game delivery model, and Google's more than glad to put up the facade and shut it down later if the data shows we don't want it. Narrowing it down to just Pixel, or WiFi, etc removes a lot of variables, and it'll allow better data and usage tracking metrics once the variables open up, and I think they'll open up very gradually so that there can be a more comprehensive analysis done to make guesses as to how big each variable impacts market demand and satisfaction with the service. Run it on the most Google-controlled set of devices possible at first, then see if by opening it to, say, iOS if demand makes any difference, etc...

I feel like Stadia is a lot less the swinging "future of games" promise that its reveal was trying to go for and more like a pop-up store experience that's back end is just exchanging the data collected with partners like Ubisoft so they can start seeing if its viable to plan their own infrastructures and delivery systems. Unlike Google's other stuff, there's cost associated with getting in, though -- have to buy your games and have to have reasonably good internet.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
tenor.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, this was released way too early. With internet infrastructure being the way it is, I don't expect Stadia to be successful at all.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Although I would only see myself playing it at home, Stadia is definitely a "wait and see" product for me. Interested to see where it goes, but I certainly won't be jumping in day-one.

And as an iPhone user, the arbitrary lock behind Pixel devices is another downer.

Mar 23, 2018
😅😖🤦‍♂️. I feel like a dumb ass for pre ordering that shit
You can still cancel. I sure did. Not for this but other reasons. When they announced it it seemed like it would be seamless to transition between devices with the controller. Now you have to plug it in to phones lmao? What year is this? I'll try it when it works on iOS and with DualShock controllers. If it works well I'll definitely consider buying a Stadia controller to improve latency.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, this was released way too early. With internet infrastructure being the way it is, I don't expect Stadia to be successful at all.

2 two things that kill the Stadia for me are its exclusive store (buying a Stadia game means you only got it on Stadia, not other PC game libraries), and games that separate Stadia communities from PC game communities without crossplay.

The tech for game streaming is probably going to be fine - Geforce Now works as well as one can hope, and that doesn't even factor in the "Stadia predictive input magic" and eventual Wi-Fi controller millisecond tightening - both of which probably are just minor, but every millisecond counts I suppose.

It's the economics and the isolation of Stadia games that kill it. Any bad news about the tech itself is just kicking it while it's down.

Oct 26, 2017
2 two things that kill the Stadia for me are its exclusive store (buying a Stadia game means you only got it on Stadia, not other PC game libraries), and games that separate Stadia communities from PC game communities without crossplay.

The tech for game streaming is probably going to be fine - Geforce Now works as well as one can hope, and that doesn't even factor in the "Stadia predictive input magic" and eventual Wi-Fi controller millisecond tightening - both of which probably are just minor, but every millisecond counts I suppose.

It's the economics and the isolation of Stadia games that kill it. Any bad news about the tech itself is just kicking it while it's down.

For the general public, they're gonna care about performance and what they see more than about the account system. If they spend money and their game lags bc of their internet, that's a return and a lost sale waiting to happen.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Streaming growing pains

How convenient is too convenient?

The Pixel exclusivity is a stupid mistake but yet again Sony is just as late with opening Remote Play.
Except Remote Play was just a feature and not the main way to play the games, whereas in Stadia's case the only way is through streaming.

Stadia is going to die a quick death, this shouldn't have been a thing till like 4 or 5 years from now.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I already average over 100gb a month on my phone. This should really be an option for the user.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm actually interested in Stadia to a point But yeah, this is sounding more and more like a paid beta than an actual launch of a service.

Oct 27, 2017
I have Google Fi for my mobile data plan. I wonder if it still affects data caps on Google Fi? Logic says since it's also Google they would make it so you could use unlimited Stadia on Google Fi plans.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For the general public, they're gonna care about performance and what they see more than about the account system. If they spend money and their game lags bc of their internet, that's a return and a lost sale waiting to happen.

For a typical consumer just looking to get a system, there are going to be lots of reasons a game streaming box won't work for them:
  • Their internet is bad
  • Their Wi-Fi router is bad (probably ISP issued)
  • Their router is just too far from their Chromecast / TV
  • They live in an area with too much Wi-Fi interference
I still think all that is a secondary problem to the economics of the service just being a massive step down from other game streaming services (all of which offer or compliment local system playing for those game purchases). That's the problem that affects every Stadia customer, and not just the chunk of Stadia customers who will undoubtedly return the device due to local connection/device issues.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you have an unlimited cellular connection the speed gets throttled once you hit a certain threshold of data usage right? It makes sense they wouldn't allow this with that in mind.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Even if you have an unlimited cellular connection the speed gets throttled once you hit a certain threshold of data usage right? It makes sense they wouldn't allow this with that in mind.
Of course, but shouldn't that choice be left to the customer.

Man, I don't think this is the end of bad news of this. Google is slowly trickling down the bad news

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose a little bit? I guess for people that are getting it just to play games their computer can't run this doesn't matter but the people looking for a portable option the presentation was misleading.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Google isn't even selling Pixel devices in 5 of the 14 countries they're launching Stadia in.

You can imagine how many people in those EU markets went out of their way to import a Pixel phone. Probably not a lot.