• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility; prior ban for hostility
Lmao, tell me about it, that guy has been bloating on facebook and misinforming people that Stadia would actually be faster than playing locally because of some shitty math he applies that the hightest the framerate of a stadia game the less inputlag there would, citing examples that if stadia runs the game at 240fps you would magically have a better input lag than playing locally lmao, I even had to ignore the guy here in resetera even tho he is from dominican republic gaming community just like me, but I just cant read negative latency shit like that that downright misinform people and violates any sense of physics with a straight face.

Watch this everybody. He probably won't answer because this is a perfect example of an extremely dishonest and lying human being. The simple example he's referring too is the Assassin's Creed Odyssey latency test made by no other than digital Foundry. This is what they said:

"One thing that surprises me now that we know of Stadia's spec is the decision to cap at 30 frames per second. With a 10.7TF graphics core and fast, server-class CPU, we would expect the Stadia port of Assassin's Creed Odyssey to run at 60fps. Based on the results we're seeing here running the PC version at 60fps, latency should drop by 33ms. The Xbox One X version is already bafflingly high in latency terms, to the point where Stadia can match it. Based on the PC results, running at full frame-rate would actually see the streaming version surpass the Xbox game."

That was it. I showed this example to explain how cloud games can reduce the latency by increasing the framerate. This guy here won't admit to this simple latency test and will even say that framerate won't reduce latency the higher it is. Anyone that does the minimum amount of research should know this about framerate and input latency. On a 30fps game you will get a new frame every 33.3ms and on a 60fps game, you will get a new frame every 16.6ms, this is the shitty math he says I'm doing. I had to ban this guy from my Facebook group and I challenge anyone here to ask this guy if latency is reduced as the framerate goes higher and you will have a show like no other.

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
Lmao, tell me about it, that guy has been bloating on facebook and misinforming people that Stadia would actually be faster than playing locally because of some shitty math he applies that the hightest the framerate of a stadia game the less inputlag there would, citing examples that if stadia runs the game at 240fps you would magically have a better input lag than playing locally lmao, I even had to ignore the guy here in resetera even tho he is from dominican republic gaming community just like me, but I just cant read negative latency shit like that that downright misinform people and violates any sense of physics with a straight face.
Alucardx23 wanted me to ask you if you thought this was true or not

"One thing that surprises me now that we know of Stadia's spec is the decision to cap at 30 frames per second. With a 10.7TF graphics core and fast, server-class CPU, we would expect the Stadia port of Assassin's Creed Odyssey to run at 60fps. Based on the results we're seeing here running the PC version at 60fps, latency should drop by 33ms. The Xbox One X version is already bafflingly high in latency terms, to the point where Stadia can match it. Based on the PC results, running at full frame-rate would actually see the streaming version surpass the Xbox game."

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Tell alucard that good job sherry picking an article from a controller envyroment back in march 2019, please tell him to provide one example of this now that stadia came out.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Thank you. This should be fun. 😊

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Tell alucard that good job sherry picking an article from a controller envyroment back in march 2019, please tell him to provide one example of this now that stadia came out.

A shit! You see no answer. He can't simply admit that latency goes down as framerate goes up. This was true 1 year ago and it is still true today.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think nothing changes the fact that higher frame rates reduce latency rather it's in the past or now in the present, I'm not going to keep sharing messages back and forth though lol

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Alucard is having a moment after realizing that Stadia is in fact, not the Best of PC or the Best of Console.

For a minute there I didn't understand the joke. So yeah, a developer said that she liked the convenience of developing for Stadia, this had nothing to do as a gamer. On regards to realizing anything as you say, go and look at my post history and you will see several examples of my taking a wait and see attitude towards Stadia. I'm definitely a fan of what is possible with cloud gaming in general and Stadia has shown that the technology works, but things need to improve even more.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I don't think nothing changes the fact that higher frame rates reduce latency rather it's in the past or now in the present, I'm not going to keep sharing messages back and forth though lol

Don't worry you don't have to and thanks again. But you see what I mean? Somehow higher framerates reduced input latency in the past, but it is no longer true today. This is the type of attitude that should be clear to anyone here that it doesn't lead to a conversation that goes anywhere, just an endless tab dancing technique, to avoid answering a simple question. If he replies to your post again, you won't see a clear answer. "Yes, increasing the framerate does lower the latency (which would prove my point) or "No, latency will not reduce if you increase the framerate and here's why". Good luck getting anything like that.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can affect input but to a certain extent, and if it was as easy as some of you might want to think, then why isnt google doing it? Putting their games at 580fps so we can all enjoy true highter than speed of light input and the service works wonders for all and its way faster than what local could ever be? Seriously how can some of you be so gullible.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It can affect input but to a certain extent, and if it was as easy as some of you might want to think, then why isnt google doing it? Putting their games at 580fps so we can all enjoy true highter than speed of light input and the service works wonders for all and its way faster than what local could ever be? Seriously how can some of you be so gullible.
Because not everything happens in 1 day

GeForce now was only 60 fps at one time now it's 120 fps

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because not everything happens in 1 day

GeForce now was only 60 fps at one time now it's 120 fps
But why not? Why expose themselves to the heat and critisism of people online and making them have bad experiences when they could just turn it up to 240-580fps and we could all see the action on screen way faster than local hardware lol. Someday you'll all understand streaming will never beat local because its just too many factors involved (distance from server, you internet connection and its fluctuations, how busy said server is, laws of physics aka your input has to TRAVEL to the server and then you need to recieve a processed image back and no matter if its 5,800fps it wont be faster than local hardware connected to your tv. But if you all want to have faith that google will deliver their holy negative inputlag, be my guest.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I'd try it out, but I'm not buying another chromecast after the one I just bought in May. Once other chromecasts start to work and you can just buy the controller, I'll give it a shot.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'd try it out, but I'm not buying another chromecast after the one I just bought in May. Once other chromecasts start to work and you can just buy the controller, I'll give it a shot.

It's kind of irrelevant since you need a Founders pack to play at all right now, but I can report my Pre-Stadia Chromecast (ultra) is working fine with stadia.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

What do you mean to a certain extend? Look below my friend, I want to see you reject the data below. To a certain extent you say? How about every single fucking time and in a noticeable way, if you increase the framerate it will reduce the latency.

Capture.png

Good to see you finally agreeing with what I said a long time ago, you said "to a certain extend", but knowing you it must be really hard to admit something like that even. I Guess the resetera moderation doesn't allow you to do the same type of BS you did back at Facebook. Asking a senseless question like "Duh! Why doesn't Google increase their framerate to 580fps then?", is something completely different that doesn't reject the idea of increasing the framerate to reduce latency. It has already been announced that 120fps games will come to Stadia and there are already games running at this framerate on GeForce Now. It has never been said that all games will run at this framerate or that developers can blindly increase it on every game, but it is one of the techniques we will see on several cloud gaming services going forward. In the meantime keep ready the Digital Foundry article until you understand it. Also keep repeating the faster than light stock answer, it really shows how little you know about cloud gaming and it makes you look really smart every time you use it.

Last edited:

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017

Based on the recent Digital Foundry input latency tests, responsiveness of a Stadia tittle running at 60 fps is not at all guaranteed to match the console experience at 30, let alone surpass it.

There is still a possibility that we may see improvements in specific tittles, but to my knowledge the only example on record of this being the case is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which had bad latency to begin with. The X however sees a major improvement over Stadia's best offering when playing in performance mode.

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Really? Wonder why, the controller is still connected to the phone the same way or are you talking about image

First off, there's latency built into the HDMI mirroring. That's not MS' fault. Second, it looked like absolute shit blown up to the TV. That could be MS' fault if it's only streaming at like 720p. But I wouldn't draw any conclusions. Still, at the moment, I haven't seen anything that can complete with Stadia on the TV. I tried GeForce Now and it wasn't close for me. Not sure how other people are reporting great experiences with it.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Based on the recent Digital Foundry input latency tests, responsiveness of a Stadia tittle running at 60 fps is not at all guaranteed to match the console experience at 30, let alone surpass it.

There is still a possibility that we may see improvements in specific tittles, but to my knowledge no such case has been found yet.

The increasing the framerate part to surpass the Xbox One X version in latency, was based on the test they did on that same environment. Hopefully they will run the test again from their connection, to see what results they get. I have seen people here reporting pings as low as 10ms to Stadia servers, so it will be possible for people to reach the same numbers Digital Foundry measured at the Stadia launch event or even lower since they did the test on a wifi connected laptop. There is a whole range of internet connections out there, with different routers, home setups and at different distances from the Stadia data centers. These are the factors that make people have different experiences with the same cloud service, but in all cases where the game engine latency is higher than the network latency, increasing the framerate of the cloud game will lower the latency for every person playing that game.

When you compare this to the different versions of the same game running on local hardware, it might or it might not surpass them. It it easy to think of an example like comparing the 30fps version of Fortnite for Switch to the 120fps version running on GeForce Now. That is basically it, not magic and no 580fps needed to allow for several cases where the latency of a cloud game is lower than one version or several of the local game.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
First off, there's latency built into the HDMI mirroring. That's not MS' fault. Second, it looked like absolute shit blown up to the TV. That could be MS' fault if it's only streaming at like 720p. But I wouldn't draw any conclusions. Still, at the moment, I haven't seen anything that can complete with Stadia on the TV. I tried GeForce Now and it wasn't close for me. Not sure how other people are reporting great experiences with it.

Interesting. For me GeForce Now looks great, so even better if Stadia looks better than that. Can you share a % improvement of how much better Stadia is in your opinion?

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cloud gaming future is here ladies and gents!

😂 What a disaster. I can't believe Google decided to do a full roll out and launch in this state.
But what happened to negative latency and running the games at 120/240/360fps... ah we need to wait, where have I heard the we need to wait quote before? Oh yeah the power of the cloud that microsoft said would give the edge to xbox one, and here we are gen is ending and no one has witnessed it yet... fanboys believing whatever bullshit a corporation tells them is just incredible

Oct 31, 2017
But what happened to negative latency and running the games at 120/240/360fps... ah we need to wait, where have I heard the we need to wait quote before? Oh yeah the power of the cloud that microsoft said would give the edge to xbox one, and here we are gen is ending and no one has witnessed it yet... fanboys believing whatever bullshit a corporation tells them is just incredible
I don't know why fanboys keep believing this cloud PR bullshit. You'd think with MS failing the first time with it during early XB1 days people would have learned by now not to trust these companies and their bullshit PR promises concerning the Cloud.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

What happened to not expecting a service to run optimally on day one?

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
The increasing the framerate part to surpass the Xbox One X version in latency, was based on the test they did on that same environment. Hopefully they will run the test again from their connection, to see what results they get. I have seen people here reporting pings as low as 10ms to Stadia servers, so it will be possible for people to reach the same numbers Digital Foundry measured at the Stadia launch event or even lower since they did the test on a wifi connected laptop. There is a whole range of internet connections out there, with different routers, home setups and at different distances from the Stadia data centers. These are the factors that make people have different experiences with the same cloud service, but in all cases where the game engine latency is higher than the network latency, increasing the framerate of the cloud game will lower the latency for every person playing that game.

When you compare this to the different versions of the same game running on local hardware, it might or it might not surpass them. It it easy to think of an example like comparing the 30fps version of Fortnite for Switch to the 120fps version running on GeForce Now. That is basically it, not magic and no 580fps needed to allow for several cases where the latency of a cloud game is lower than one version or several of the local game.

I wouldn't say "every person". After all, as you said, there are a host of variables that can make the Stadia experience worse.

I do agree though that there is a sweet spot where Stadia, in absolute ideal conditions, could take a game with poor latency on console and make it slightly more responsive. One key qualifier though is Stadia needs to have the hardware bandwidth to double the frame rate (which will obviously be more of an issue when next gen arrives). I personally don't see it as much of a selling point when other tittles clearly have worse input latency even going from 30 to 60, but hey, something is better than nothing I suppose.

Last edited:

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Well I was happy with the performance on my laptop using stadia. Now I've had an evening with the stadia controller on Chromecast I'm slightly blown away to be honest.

I'm close to inviting digital foundry around to my house to do their tests on my connection because that was borderline native (Destiny 2).

Nov 27, 2017
Uh, was this posted?

The issue doesn't seem that isolated.

Well I'm the person who posted that Tweet and I'm also the person in the video. I tested it out with multiple devices on multiple connections from multiple locations. The quality is completely random.

Key points:
-I live very close to the Google office where they built the Stadia controller (I imagine they have Stadia servers nearby)
-I have the fastest internet available from two different internet service providers (1 gbps down / 1.5 gbps down)
-My most reliable experience with Stadia was on a top spec gaming PC using a Keyboard/Mouse
-The Stadia controller seemed to have latency issues when used wireless

My take away from all of this is that nobody will have a consistent experience with Stadia.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
In case this wasn't already here.

Experience is...well, worth watching. Though the video artwork here is a pretty accurate reflection of how they felt about it.

Well I'm the person who posted that Tweet and I'm also the person in the video. I tested it out with multiple devices on multiple connections from multiple locations. The quality is completely random.

Key points:
-I live very close to the Google office where they built the Stadia controller (I imagine they have Stadia servers nearby)
-I have the fastest internet available from two different internet service providers (1 gbps down / 1.5 gbps down)
-My most reliable experience with Stadia was on a top spec gaming PC using a Keyboard/Mouse

My take away from all of this is that nobody will have a consistent experience with Stadia.
Damn man.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Tried out playing Destiny 2 for a bit via a 4k TV with Chromcast ultra with 300 mb/s download. I can definitely feel the input lag, but I think that the 1080p image looks pretty solid even on a 4k TV. I think it might be a better experience than what I've had with Steam Link streaming so far in terms of IQ and maybe latency.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tried out playing Destiny 2 for a bit via a 4k TV with Chromcast ultra with 300 mb/s download. I can definitely feel the input lag, but I think that the 1080p image looks pretty solid even on a 4k TV. I think it might be a better experience than what I've had with Steam Link streaming so far in terms of IQ and maybe latency.

Non-streaming gaming is going to continue to reduce input lag and streaming can't counter that.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Stadia screams designed by committee.

Sounded like they dunno WTF they're talking about since the beginning.

And being this out of touch, they must not.

Do these people honestly think they came with something Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft haven't already? Knives for inspiration? It just sounds incredibly desperate and fake, just like everything that comes out of their mouths when they talk about it.

What a disingenuous product.

Last edited:

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017

You are comparing static connected input latency with variable rate latency (streamed). You obviously must know it isn't comparable?

Which is why Even if Stadia is streaming a game at 120fps it can play like shit compared to a static 30fps local connection.

Let's not be obtuse here.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Positive reviews in the nordic countries at least, but we have pretty good connection (free data, as should be) and servers close.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018

Key points:

Hi Rerez. Great videos man.
Keep up the good work👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Well, I mean don't you exert strong downward force with your controller to 'cut your enemies down to size'™ ?

I'm picturing all these design execs waving some console controllers about like you see inexperienced gamers do and thinking they are wielding a knife.

I bet engineers at Nintendo would have a belly laugh at their cockamamie tale about "getting inspiration from unlikely sources" making their controller.

-I live very close to the Google office where they built the Stadia controller

Sorry don't you mean the Google Kitchen where they built the controller?

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Spent an hour or so with Destiny 2 tonight and it's truly a doozie. In a side by side with PSPro it literally looks like a Youtube video of a Switch port by comparison, I can't even imagine the gulf from 4K PC Ultra. I legit can not believe Google certified and released it in this state (assuming they even have standards/quality checks in place), doubly so since it's their tentpole free title almost everyone will play. The increased input lag on my end feels very similar to turning off Game Mode on my TV, which is like a 40-50ms add. It's a terrible product for myself and most of Era, but when you think of the other 90 million Joe's and Sally's who are playing base consoles (especially Xbox's), 10+ feet from a 55" TV, and don't even know what a game mode is...obviously none of this stuff's going to matter to them.