• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
You really think Stadia is going to become a suitable solution for portable gaming in the next 3 years (before a potential Switch 2)?

The biggest mobile data cap you can get in Australia is 150GB. Mobile data is still a long, long, long way away from having the bandwidth of fixed line broadband.

some providers like Optus are willing to bundle unlimited data for specific things like Netflix. Not sure about the actual underlying costs of mobile data but I could see them bundling this

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
some providers like Optus are willing to bundle unlimited data for specific things like Netflix. Not sure about the actual underlying costs of mobile data but I could see them bundling this

Netflix will drop server clusters in any provider's data center for free if they want it.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Yikes!
giphy.gif

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
So reading the reviews this has some good news and bad news. but bad things outweigh the good things by a huge margin. I thinks the same issues will pop up during xcloud launch

Positives

- Latency is not a huge issue especially if u used to playing with xbox one controller. IT seems to be as good as psnow or better. Google also has much more data center so it will be less of an issue to find a server with low latency.
- Good for single-player games.
-Technology is there

Negatives

-The business model is not good. PSnow like a model would have been much better with higher tier reserved for games on launch or option to buy them.
-The whole point of cloud gaming is getting great best visuals on any device yet here it seems to weaker. Maybe ruining 2 instances of games on a single server.
-Same latency as other cloud gaming partners.
-a limited selection of games.
-Visual artifacts and hitching and skipping are shockingly not present on other services.

I think if google can change its business model and launch worldwide with more selection of games it can definitely grab a small portion of the market. A better solution for google should have been partnered with any of the current consoles manufactures or market place so there won't be a shortage of content but that doesn't make much business sense either

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished a full playthrough of Stadia's only exclusive title (GYLT) on Twitch.

My TL;DR impression of the platform is that it has a lot of wasted potential which Google will need to capitalize on if they expect it to survive.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Just played a little bit of Destiny, didn't have any issues for the 30 mins I played.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the WaPo review. This is unacceptable even for casual gamers.

There's also this hour long impression (gamepad & keyboard) on YouTube that seems really impressed with the service.

(there's a visual latency 'test' one hour into the video)

I do want to see more impressions of Stadia used in a home environment.

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Stadia on the Chromecast feels like magic. 4K, high quality video stream, no noticeable compression artifacts, latency is imperceptible. It's a totally viable first class platform for AAA games. I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to play Cyberpunk next year, though it does mean you have to buy the official controller. And even if you already have a console or PC, it's fucking cool to be able to buy a game and play it immediately. I bought Metro Exodus in addition to the Founders/Pro games and was playing like 20 seconds later.

Stadia on the browser is not as great. Definitely better than Nvidia's service, but the compression is far more noticeable than the chromecast. Hopefully they can deliver the same stream quality as Chromecast soon because the combination of TV + Laptop is a major selling point of the service for me.

It's clear that "Founders" are buying into a beta experience. The functionality of the platform isn't close to where it needs to be. The games I've played are not exceeding the capabilities of current gen platforms (basically competitive with PS4 Pro). The mixed user experience between the phone and TV UI is not viable longterm.

But from what I've seen from other streaming services (Xcloud beta, Nvidia beta, PS Now), Stadia is the only one delivering a stream capable of competing with local hardware. That's a major step forward. There's a lot of other work that needs to be done, but none of that is insurmountable.

By the time major Stadia exclusives are coming out, a lot of the naysayers will buy in and find a service that is much better than they expected. Until that time, Google is going to have to overdeliver to make their platform a better place to game than Playstation and Xbox.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I played about 2 hours of Destiny 2 on Chrome since my hardware never made it to me. Shit tier. Sure, there wasn't much latency at the beginning, but as I played, it got worse. The visuals are not even 1080p, despite what has been said. Using sniper and scouts was impossible unless you just stood there. Nope, nope, nope.

I'm trying to get a refund, this is a waste.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done a comparison of Shadows of the Tomb Raider on Stadia and Xcloud? That seems to be the only game that's currently on both.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Did anyone actually read the article? Because he stated his results at McDonalds and Starbucks were great and completely playable.

People are being disingenuous if that video of Tomb Raider on a random Safeway's WiFi is the only thing they take away from it.

People need to use this for a week or more then post thoughts. With Nvidia some days great. Some days artifacts disconnects. Don't think either way people are being disingenuous it's just the experience you get one day. Can be different the next. How is this over the course of days, in a home environment. That's the real test.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
How is that real test? This is supposed to be useable where ever you go. Not just in a home environment. LTE, shared acess points, outside of the home would be a better indication.

imo if the in-home gameplay experience is a match for consoles, then right off the bat you're getting a few advantages with Stadia like instant play. In addition to that the ability to play on a laptop or phone on coffee shop wifi is something consoles can't really touch. That is unless PS Now gets a lot better between now and PS5's launch.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
imo if the in-home gameplay experience is a match for consoles, then right off the bat you're getting a few advantages with Stadia like instant play. In addition to that the ability to play on a laptop or phone on coffee shop wifi is something consoles can't really touch. That is unless PS Now gets a lot better between now and PS5's launch.
True, that helps. Again, a lot of this is due to Google not marketing this correctly. Why would anyone who has access to consoles/PC want this? For me, this is strictly for on the go gaming and even that isn't really good.... for now.

And that subscription plan isn't helping.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
My first impressions playing D2 wired in chrome browser with a DS4:

visuals are muddy (wtf) -
latency is not bad at all, feels responsive +
Frames dropping during battles -
Very fast loads +

it's a mixed bag. I was hoping for much better. I do not think the frames dropping are from my connection >100 Mbps. I think it's the port. And 1080p with medium settings wtf?

SamSho

fast, fun, responsive, looks great. No drops or flutters.

I have probably put in 1k hours between D1 and D2 all PLayStation console, so I have a muscle memory of what it should feel like, and like I said, the latency is not bad, gunplay is fast and fun when I am not dropping frames.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
True, that helps. Again, a lot of this is due to Google not marketing this correctly. Why would anyone who has access to consoles/PC want this? For me, this is strictly for on the go gaming and even that isn't really good.... for now.

And that subscription plan isn't helping.

I see a few ways into the platform, but one is just the straightforward: it goes head to head with consoles in the livingroom on its own merit. So far my experience with 4k streaming on Chromecast+Gamepad is the best showcase for the platform by far. It's a harder sell because you do need to buy hardware, but it's only like $100 (less as smart TV clients are built-in) instead of $400-500 for a next-gen console. In the near term, just having games like Red Dead and Cyberpunk make Stadia a decent option for casual gamers who want to play some of the big blockbusters. But hopefully it doesn't take too long for Stadia first party to release some games that will get Era excited.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone happens to have a buddy pass that they aren't planning to use in 2 weeks I wouldn't mind having it to test it out

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I see a few ways into the platform, but one is just the straightforward: it goes head to head with consoles in the livingroom on its own merit. So far my experience with 4k streaming on Chromecast+Gamepad is the best showcase for the platform by far. It's a harder sell because you do need to buy hardware, but it's only like $100 (less as smart TV clients are built-in) instead of $400-500 for a next-gen console. In the near term, just having games like Red Dead and Cyberpunk make Stadia a decent option for casual gamers who want to play some of the big blockbusters. But hopefully it doesn't take too long for Stadia first party to release some games that will get Era excited.

That last point is the key. They need to show off some exclusive content and that's is what's killing this launch. They really needed to show us something we haven't seen before. Not sure we can already get. In my case, I've played D2 at the highest visual setting, so going to this is meh. Granted, I just got my Chromecast and controller, so I'm going to give that a try now. But with the browser, at least with D2, I'm not impressed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I asked you a simple question and you did not answer. I definitely need good luck to find someone honest to talk to. Most people seem to be like you on the internet.
If that's the case, has it occurred to you that the ferocity with which you go to bat for Stadia makes you look like either a fanboy or astroturfer that has no good faith argument to be had?

Mar 29, 2018
How?
People don't mind someone listening to music on something like Beats Headphones with a headphone AMP stack, do they?
I've been sitting in a room full of 6-10 people all glued to their phones, then I take out my Switch and they all suddenly round and go "the fuck is that, get that outta here"

It's absolutely stigmatized

In a very public place less so, but still to an extent

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
If that's the case, has it occurred to you that the ferocity with which you go to bat for Stadia makes you look like either a fanboy or astroturfer that has no good faith argument to be had?

As soon as I recognize someone is not being honest, I will go straight to the point from that point forward. When someone avoids answering a clear question, I will point out that it was not answered until it is. I have lost hours of my live talking to dishonest people and I frankly have little patience for it anymore. On the other side I can talk for hours with anyone that doesn't have an agenda, is willing to have an honest discussion, and doesn't try to point me out as a Google employee, just because I corrected something as simple as the time frame for when negative latency will be applied, according to Google.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I recognize someone is not being honest, I will go straight to the point from that point forward. When someone avoids answering a clear question, I will point out that it was not answered until it is. I have lost hours of my live talking to dishonest people and I frankly have little patience for it anymore. On the other side I can talk for hours with anyone that doesn't have an agenda, is willing to have an honest discussion, and doesn't try to point me out as a Google employee, just because I corrected something as simple as the time frame for when negative latency will be applied, according to Google.
I was accused of being an astroturfer in another thread /high five

For me this is has easily the best bang for the buck tech purchase I have made in a long time. But I am the perfect storm

- High speed internet
- Already played destiny
- Needed a Chromecast (held off gettng a firestick for my new tv..need a smart device for my cable provider)
- Expected it to be a beta

I initially purchased because the cost of entry was so low and I wanted to play around with the tech. But I am blown away by how well it works for my particular setup. Between playing on Chrome (my laptop is shit, had very low expectations) to my 65" 4K TV, both experiences are great. I am not a PC gamer so this is in comparison to a Ps4Pro.

This technology was always going to be about your personal setup, which is why if they don't offer free trials for the real launch I would never recommend anyone buy anything.

5 stars for the tech from me (2 for the current UI). Google itself has been a shit show, all they had to do was properly label this as a beta and not get people's expectations so high on the initial specs and most of this drama would not have happened. Compound the troubled launch, which are almost normal, but they pretty much hid their heads in the sand for the last 2 days to put fuel on the fire.

I'm excited for the tech, but Google needs to work on the business model.

Like anything else, read real user experiences with the product.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That last point is the key. They need to show off some exclusive content and that's is what's killing this launch. They really needed to show us something we haven't seen before. Not sure we can already get. In my case, I've played D2 at the highest visual setting, so going to this is meh. Granted, I just got my Chromecast and controller, so I'm going to give that a try now. But with the browser, at least with D2, I'm not impressed.

Going from the chrome version to the Chromecast version is night and day.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I was accused of being an astroturfer in another thread /high five

For me this is has easily the best bang for the buck tech purchase I have made in a long time. But I am the perfect storm

- High speed internet
- Already played destiny
- Needed a Chromecast (held off gettng a firestick for my new tv..need a smart device for my cable provider)
- Expected it to be a beta

I initially purchased because the cost of entry was so low and I wanted to play around with the tech. But I am blown away by how well it works for my particular setup. Between playing on Chrome (my laptop is shit, had very low expectations) to my 65" 4K TV, both experiences are great. I am not a PC gamer so this is in comparison to a Ps4Pro.

This technology was always going to be about your personal setup, which is why if they don't offer free trials for the real launch I would never recommend anyone buy anything.

5 stars for the tech from me (2 for the current UI). Google itself has been a shit show, all they had to do was properly label this as a beta and not get people's expectations so high on the initial specs and most of this drama would not have happened. Compound the troubled launch, which are almost normal, but they pretty much hid their heads in the sand for the last 2 days to put fuel on the fire.

I'm excited for the tech, but Google needs to work on the business model.

Like anything else, read real user experiences with the product.

Awesome. What internet speed do you have and what ping do you get to the Stadia data center? I 100% agree with you, just by changing the name to something like early access it would have been enough. A lot of the reviews I have seen say that the technology works, but since this was released as a full and ready service, reviewers have to judge it like that and assign the according score due to the bare bones UI and lack of features.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
All things aside, it is mind blogging why they would ask users to install an app on a phone for activation. Any reasons at all, from a user side?

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, tell me about it, that guy has been bloating on facebook and misinforming people that Stadia would actually be faster than playing locally because of some shitty math he applies that the hightest the framerate of a stadia game the less inputlag there would, citing examples that if stadia runs the game at 240fps you would magically have a better input lag than playing locally lmao, I even had to ignore the guy here in resetera even tho he is from dominican republic gaming community just like me, but I just cant read negative latency shit like that that downright misinform people and violates any sense of physics with a straight face.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Destiny renders on 1080p on Chromecast, I can't say, but the 4k stream just looks a hell of a lot better.
So a 4k stream actually makes it look a lot better than just regular 1080p? I figured it was just upscaling that didn't actually add any clarity to the image. But if a 4k stream really does help i would def like to see it now

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
All things aside, it is mind blogging why they would ask users to install an app on a phone for activation. Any reasons at all, from a user side?

One reason is that the Chromecast UI is totally underbaked. But the mobile app is at least useful for getting the controller on your WiFi network. I hope when the Google Assistant functionality of the controller is working you can somehow pair using your voice. But the app isn't too bad for setup.

undecided

Oct 27, 2017
I though the browser version of D2 and the chromecast version ran at the same resolution and settings?

I have not seen any place where it states exactly what it is running at, but all of the media reporting was that it is 1080p upscaled to 4K on chromecast and just 1080p on chrome.

I can confirm the same results on my end though, the chromecast version looks less degraded from the streaming algorithm.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So a 4k stream actually makes it look a lot better than just regular 1080p? I figured it was just upscaling that didn't actually add any clarity to the image. But if a 4k stream really does help i would def like to see it now

I wouldn't be surprised if the codec on the browser version is an older version or something. It's noticeably dithered and blocky. On Chromecast I can barely tell it's not a local render.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have not seen any place where it states exactly what it is running at, but all of the media reporting was that it is 1080p upscaled to 4K on chromecast and just 1080p on chrome.

I can confirm the same results on my end though, the chromecast version looks less degraded from the streaming algorithm.
Yea but upscaling isn't really supposed to do anything, I can play a dvd on a 4k tv and it will upscale it to 4k but it doesn't look 4k

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
One reason is that the Chromecast UI is totally underbaked. But the mobile app is at least useful for getting the controller on your WiFi network. I hope when the Google Assistant functionality of the controller is working you can somehow pair using your voice. But the app isn't too bad for setup.

Thanks for the explanation!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish someone would do comparison videos and images of tomb raider on stadia and xcloud

Last edited: