• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Having read The Verge impressions, selling the games as 4K when all you're getting is a 4K video stream without a 4K render is pretty fucked up. Google need to address that, I would suggest.
If Sony was in hot water for claiming 1080P with temporal injection then google seems to have stepped much, much further over a line.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Oh this is bad, wonder can I still cancel my preorder!? 😅

cU5h3RL.png

EDIT: Order cancelled, fuck that.
I actually like the first one better, it feels more immersive.

I hope someone actually gets this and don't think I'm serious.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're overestimating the extremely niche early-launch we're seeing here. Stadia's real launch isn't until sometime next year, most likely once most or all of the advertised features are available. Reception then is what we should be waiting for imo, not the shit we're hearing today (even if it's bad).
I don't agree. All the media outlets are reviewing it today. Headlines are popping up everywhere. People are reading it. Lowering their expectations. Cancelling preorders. Dropping their interest. And I doubt we'll see new reviews next year.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Not surprised. As a console gamer I'm almost pleased. It's not like I wish any product to fail, but hey, Google can afford it.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I've said this in multiple other threads, but streaming isn't the problem here - Stadia is. You can stream games at 1440p or 4K right now using Shadow, and the video quality is noticeably better than any of the Stadia screenshots I've seen.

This is an image taken straight from a stream of Gears 5.

iH4sNH.png

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree. All the media outlets are reviewing it today. Headlines are popping up everywhere. People are reading it. Lowering their expectations. Cancelling preorders. Dropping their interest. And I doubt we'll see new reviews next year.
Media outlets spent months lambasting Pokemon Sw/Sh and it seems to be tracking as one of the most successful pokemon launches ever (rumor but believable). All I'm saying is the mainstream isn't out there reading early access previews of todays launch.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
what type of connection do you have? I consistently get a solid 180 mbps over WiFi on a 5g band. How would that do on xcloud?

That sounds like more than enough from what I understand. Keep in mind though, it's not just a question of up and down speed, but latency and connection consistency.

I have a connection that hits somewhere between 70-100 mbps on 5g, but holding a strong, consistent 5g connection is something I realized my network is very bad at only through using xCloud. Generally, I didn't notice when stream video or browsing the internet as the bumps are mostly smoothed out through buffering or non-latency specific actions. Or, if my 5g dropped, the lower band picked it up so I didn't have a loss in coverage. Those things have been very noticeable on xCloud for me.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, having streaming as an option in the future as a compliment to local play could be a really cool and convenient feature. But streaming-only seems to just be making things somewhat more convenient sometimes for some gamers while introducing a lot of a really awful complications. I'm not really sure who it's for.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like more than enough from what I understand. Keep in mind though, it's not just a question of up and down speed, but latency and connection consistency.

I have a connection that hits somewhere between 70-100 mbps on 5g, but holding a strong, consistent 5g connection is something I realized my network is very bad at only through using xCloud. Generally, I didn't notice when stream video or browsing the internet as the bumps are mostly smoothed out through buffering or non-latency specific actions. Or, if my 5g dropped, the lower band picked it up so I didn't have a loss in coverage. Those things have been very noticeable on xCloud for me.

interesting, thank you for the input.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Media outlets spent months lambasting Pokemon Sw/Sh and it seems to be tracking as one of the most successful pokemon launches ever (rumor but believable). All I'm saying is the mainstream isn't out there reading early access previews of todays launch.
They're listening though, if things are as bad as they seem I won't go to work all hyped about the service when I receive my stuff, I'll be as negative as an old cranky man like myself can be and non-gamers will listen and talk to their friends etc. Same for everyone else. Things will spread. Back when Xbox One DRM fiasco happened I went to work cranky as well. Years later someone was surprised to know that you actually didn't have to be always online. First impressions by early adopters matters a lot.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Mainstream media outlets weren't really out there dragging Pokemon. Like, NYT wasn't running articles on Dexit or anything. And Pokemon has a very very strong established brand with consumers. I don't see the comparison at all.

These reviews are likely to be the first time a lot of people have even heard of Stadia. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I've said this in multiple other threads, but streaming isn't the problem here - Stadia is. You can stream games at 1440p or 4K right now using Shadow, and the video quality is noticeably better than any of the Stadia screenshots I've seen.

iH4sNH.png

Images mean nothing though. It's the quality in motion that matters.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
All this from a few journalist trying it. Can you imagine the general populace trying to play the same game at the same time expecting 4k quality.

Science fiction at this point.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of these things is not like the other here haha

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I'd like to see some 1080p comparison shots as well. I'm not sold that the quality even meets that.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Even the CoD Mobile Twitter account is disappointed!

aDSgwvN.png

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This is true, but it's only relevant to the extent that Google treats next year's mainstream release day (or whatever you want to call it) as a big event with tons of advertising and somehow whips up lots of good word of mouth. Even then, if they manage to get people interested in Stadia, the first things they're going to find when they search for "Stadia review" will be today's articles.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I was actually pretty encouraged reading these reviews, because I'm really excited about this tech, but I'm not planning to invest until around spring.

I want Stadia to succeed primarily because I want a way to play Cyberpunk at maxed settings, at 4K / 60fps / HDR.

By the time Cyberpunk is ready, I'm willing to bet that Stadia will be, too. At least now I know that the primary function, the actual streaming of the game with no noticeable latency at high resolution (I have gigabit internet and pings have always seemed low i guess i'm lucky like that) is already working as intended.

Cool. Let them iron out the service and flesh out the QOL bullshit for the next five months, and I'm ready to dive in.

EDIT: I just saw that RDR2 renders at 1440p and runs at 30 fps. My dreams of 4K / 60 fps Cyberpunk have just been dashed. Google get your shit together and don't ruin this dream for me. =[

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It's borderline unbelievable just how badly Google has fucked up this launch.

• $60 year+ old games that you can find on any other system for at least half the price?
  • Games running at lower graphical settings than their XB1X counterparts?
  • $10/month 4k streaming service that doesn't actually stream in 4k?
  • A horrible launch lineup with practically zero exclusives?
  • The majority of advertised features not available at launch?
  • Latency and PQ problems across the board?
Oh this is bad, wonder can I still cancel my preorder!? 😅

cU5h3RL.png
MxAdbfv.gif

Google is NUTS for this lmao

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope Gylt isn't locked behind Stadia for the long term. It's the only game I'm getting Stadia for, but I just know Google is gonna shut it down when xCloud hits and PSNow becomes more competitive.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Mainstream media outlets weren't really out there dragging Pokemon. Like, NYT wasn't running articles on Dexit or anything. And Pokemon has a very very strong established brand with consumers. I don't see the comparison at all.

These reviews are likely to be the first time a lot of people have even heard of Stadia. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

You make a good point here.

edit - at the end of the day though, physics is physics. No matter how hard you try, you can't make a signal travel faster than the speed of light. People were joking about this argument somehow being reductive, but now they're crying so haha

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Difference is, unlike Pokemon, the mainstream doesn't know Stadia exists.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You can't afford to completely fumble the launch if you're a new comer.
I don't know how anyone can have enough confidence in this to blow money on full price games, knowing it'll likely all go up in smoke.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Can someone give me a tl;dr on what the consensus is? Is it everything we feared?

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Were people really expecting this thing to have no latency? In what universe?
There were a lot of "Negative Latency" claims flying around and people citing some (admittedly very cool) emulator tricks that help achieve it.

Those emulator tactics really trade on the fact that the host system is much faster than the emulated platform tho so it never really seemed applicable. And lo and behold.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me a tl;dr on what the consensus is? Is it everything we feared?
It's borderline unbelievable just how badly Google has fucked up this launch.

• $60 year+ old games that you can find on any other system for at least half the price?
  • Games running at lower graphical settings than their XB1X counterparts?
  • $10/month 4k streaming service that doesn't actually stream in 4k?
  • A horrible launch lineup with practically zero exclusives?
  • The majority of advertised features not available at launch?
  • Latency and PQ problems across the board?

It just doesn't make any sense. What the hell was Google thinking? Why would they even invest in a project like this that was so obviously destined to fail? They had to have known that this was going to get slaughtered by reviewers. What a waste of resources.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks.

People are gonna get a lot of mileage out of Ouya 2.0 jokes for this one.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
It seems worse than I expected, anyways.

+40 ms or so latency over Xbox version of games
Intermittent macroblocking due to transient network conditions (to be fair this is almost certainly unavoidable)
Destiny running at 1080p PC medium settings, more or less, on a "4k" stream
RDR2 at 1440p/30

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Watching the Giantbomb quicklook and the process Jeff has to go through to get Just Dance going is INSANE.

He needs TWO PHONES to set it up.

QnM5uDr.png

PapaGoob

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

iH4sNH.png

Man I feel like I'm preaching to an audience of no one! I keep telling people about Shadow and how amazing it is. On top of the streaming working really well, you are actually getting a VM of a windows machine. So you get immediate access to your backlog of Steam, EGS, Origin, etc. And if you don't own anything through those stores, well now if you buy games through them and then decide to cancel your account to build a gaming PC or whatever, you still get access to your games because you own them through those stores not a closed store like Stadia.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Checked out DF comparison images. Just as I expected prior to release, Stadia image quality is abysmal. And that's just one negative aspect out of many... meh.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

iH4sNH.png
The stadia screenshots are cherry picked to be fair. As is this.

When it comes to game streaming for all of the ones I used you will get that softer blurry look as your connection weakens occasionally or all the time if you are playing on a trash connection. I have no doubt this service does it as well.