• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Latency-wise, I'm not sure how much better it currently *could* get. At least with xCloud, it seems you will have access to every game you already own, so you're not purchasing games all over again. That alone makes it much more appealing. Then add in game pass.

I may be wrong, but isn't one point of xCloud that if you own a Xbox One and/or PC, you can also download the games and play iflocally, the way PS Now also handles things? Which is a huge plus compared to what Google is offering, independent from having or not having to buy games.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Stadia instances were meant to be dedicated (no pooling of anything other than bandwidth, except for the presumably-currently-nonexistent stacked instances)?

Instances can be dedicated but there's no way they have dedicated hardware for EVERY single session. It's not financially smart. There's a reason why blades exist.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
This technology is insane ._. even with that delay on the jump gif, my mind is blown this is even remotely possible.

As for how it'd feel actually playing a game on this thing... ehhhh lol

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Unbenannt.PNG

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
What they were offering on paper was poor and now the physical reality has hit even harder. If Sony or Microsoft actually make a Netflix of gaming and it works like Netflix then we will have a true cloud solution.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I may be wrong, but isn't one point of xCloud that if you own a Xbox One and/or PC, you can also download the games and play iflocally, the way PS Now also handles things? Which is a huge plus compared to what Google is offering, independent from having or not having to buy games.

I believe so, yes! So yeah that's another big advantage for sure.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's borderline unbelievable just how badly Google has fucked up this launch.

• $60 year+ old games that you can find on any other system for at least half the price?
  • Games running at lower graphical settings than their XB1X counterparts?
  • $10/month 4k streaming service that doesn't actually stream in 4k?
  • A horrible launch lineup with practically zero exclusives?
  • The majority of advertised features not available at launch?
  • Latency and PQ problems across the board?

It just doesn't make any sense. What the hell was Google thinking? Why would they even invest in a project like this that was so obviously destined to fail? They had to have known that this was going to get slaughtered by reviewers. What a waste of resources.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Google in six months after a steady stream of "we're diligently working to improve" damage control:

giphy.gif

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's borderline unbelievable just how badly Google has fucked up this launch.

• $60 year+ old games that you can find on any other system for at least half the price?
  • Games running at lower graphical settings than their XB1X counterparts?
  • $10/month 4k streaming service that doesn't actually stream in 4k?
  • A horrible launch lineup with practically zero exclusives?
  • The majority of advertised features not available at launch?
  • Latency and PQ problems across the board?

It just doesn't make any sense. What the hell was Google thinking? Why would they even invest in a project like this that was so obviously destined to fail? They had to have known that this was going to get slaughtered by reviewers. What a waste of resources.
Not all the games are 60$ and some give you a discount with pro sub

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hardly. I'm pretty sure most people reasonably expected you would see year+ old titles like Odyssey or Shadow at $29 or maybe $39. Even the stauntest Stadia detractors wouldn't have proposed $120 editions of old ass games or upscaled 1080p. These aspects are so preposterously stupid and out of touch that I would actually buy into truther level conspiracy theories that key Stadia decision makers and executives are actively trying to sabotage it...perhaps Sony cut Phil a massive check to torpedo it.
I don't think it has to do with folks trying to sabotage it. I see it as knowing as a consumer that this was just not going to work.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia itself will bury xCloud. I can't believe what I'm reading regarding the latency. And Stadia is actually doing things quite cleverly by connecting the controller directly to the data center. And yet, +50ms latency on top of an already kinda lousy latency. Stadia might actually kill game streaming all together here. I'm shocked, and not jokingly, for real.
I'll be testing things for myself at my own home in a few days though, the planned delivery is 25-26 nov.

I think xCloud makes a lot of sense to Microsoft regardless of Stadia's performance (technologically or financially).

I think it will make a lot of sense for Microsoft to put their weight behind it. Just based on what it could mean for turning that Xbox symbol in their Start menu into easy access to games on Windows. They already have the studio investments and worldwide infrastructure.

The technology will improve, I think the only issue with Stadia is how much money Google will want to sink into to get just a segment of a cloud gaming market that Microsoft will likely be the leaders of.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, I read every comment being negative then I read two actual reviews, Klepek and DF, and they were basically pretty dang positive. Just an example from DF:

That's an advantage I hadn't even really thought about but is probably something you need to experience to understand.
Be interesting to see the next time a D2 patch drops, how quickly that gets propegated to the Stadia instances and the game goes live again.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Why launch this now. Launch this next summer with all the features. Launch this just a bit before the big consoles drop, exclaiming "you can have all those features and not have to spend $500".

Why. Launch. This. Now.

Hate to be an armchair analyst, but it makes no sense to me. It's not complete.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I don't understand how so many of these reviewers just ignore the existence of PSNow, it's million+ subs, it's 800+ games, its PS2-PS4 library, its 4K support for downloaded titles, its 2014 launch, and it's $60/year pricetag. It's the elephant in the room, but these reviews are written as if Google is the first and only cloud gaming platform to be offered and Xcloud is the better alternative.

Last edited:

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Having read The Verge impressions, selling the games as 4K when all you're getting is a 4K video stream without a 4K render is pretty fucked up. Google need to address that, I would suggest.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how so many of these reviewers just ignore the existence of PSNow, it's million+ subs, it's 800+ games, its 2014 launch, and it's $60/year pricetag. It's the elephant in the room, but these reviews are written as if Google is the first and only cloud gaming platform to be offered and Xcloud is the better alternative.

PSNow requires a PlayStation, runs at 720p and for years was only PS3 games. There are pretty stark differences, I'm not sure it brings much context to the current streaming landscape. Something like GeForce Now or xCloud is a much better comparison.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I don't understand how so many of these reviewers just ignore the existence of PSNow, it's million+ subs, it's 800+ games, its 2014 launch, and it's $60/year pricetag. It's the elephant in the room, but these reviews are written as if Google is the first and only cloud gaming platform to be offered and Xcloud is the better alternative.

It's always been pretty funny to me how ignored Now has been, but it's also Sonys fault for not advertising it like they should've all this time.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think xCloud makes a lot of sense to Microsoft regardless of Stadia's performance (technologically or financially).

I think it will make a lot of sense for Microsoft to put their weight behind it. Just based on what it could mean for turning that Xbox symbol in their Start menu into easy access to games on Windows. They already have the studio investments and worldwide infrastructure.

The technology will improve, I think the only issue with Stadia is how much money Google will want to sink into to get just a segment of a cloud gaming market that Microsoft will likely be the leaders of.
I'm actually even less excited about xcloud. For me it seems absolutely bonkers that they're launching it with Xbox One S hardware and only streaming to phones. They're losing me instantly there. I dropped XB1S years ago because I thought it was crap. I see zero reasons to jump in and game on that hardware again. They should just wait and improve stuff until they have Scarlett hardware ready, ruining the PR like Google are doing just to be early out of the gates is just dumb. That's what Sony did with PS Now as well and few are giving that service a second look because of the start. Same thing will happen to xCloud. And Stadia obviously.
Just make it great first. Then launch it.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wait, when did PS Now become so cheap. It was 15€/month the last time I checked it

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
yeah I can't even get ps4 remote play to work well in my own house. I can't imagine stadia will be playable to many except with the best internet and WiFi

I'm in the xCloud beta with decent internet, and the wifi in my home makes it unplayable. Anything below 5g is a slidehow and 5g is too weak to work anywhere but my living room. I'm looking at getting a new router set up just to be able to use it. People are going to get hit hard with these limitations (Just like people even did with the Steam link which is theoretically a lot less ambitious).

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia itself will bury xCloud. I can't believe what I'm reading regarding the latency. And Stadia is actually doing things quite cleverly by connecting the controller directly to the data center. And yet, +50ms latency on top of an already kinda lousy latency. Stadia might actually kill game streaming all together here. I'm shocked, and not jokingly, for real.
I'll be testing things for myself at my own home in a few days though, the planned delivery is 25-26 nov.
I think you're overestimating the extremely niche early-launch we're seeing here. Stadia's real launch isn't until sometime next year, most likely once most or all of the advertised features are available. Reception then is what we should be waiting for imo, not the shit we're hearing today (even if it's bad).

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Sony has a real advertising problem with PSNow for some reason. I didn't even know you could download games in addition to streaming until someone mentioned it here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an Xbox. I can play every Xbox game right now on my PC? How much a month?

PC specific Game Pass is $9.99 That's all (recent) MS first party on PC.

Once xCloud launches officially, $9.99 to $14.99 depending on if you want Game Pass Ultimate to stream the entire Game Pass catalog to whatever devices MS targets. Right now it's just Android devices, they're adding PC next year.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Well this is a shame eh.... xcloud beta has been decent for me so at least there's Microsoft!

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the people at Google realize that this makes them look like a bunch of chumps. It's an embarrassing display from one of the largest corporations in the world. Everything about this has been half baked.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Having read The Verge impressions, selling the games as 4K when all you're getting is a 4K video stream without a 4K render is pretty fucked up. Google need to address that, I would suggest.
This honestly seems pretty scammy. I expected that the hype that they'd somehow maintain anything close to a locked 60 fps wouldn't pan out with more demanding games, but I never expected that they'd just straight up sell people an upressed a 1080p render and call it "4k"

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the xCloud beta with decent internet, and the wifi in my home makes it unplayable. Anything below 5g is a slidehow and 5g is too weak to work anywhere but my living room. I'm looking at getting a new router set up just to be able to use it. People are going to get hit hard with these limitations (Just like people even did with the Steam link which is theoretically a lot less ambitious).

what type of connection do you have? I consistently get a solid 180 mbps over WiFi on a 5g band. How would that do on xcloud?

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, lots of Switch owners seem perfectly happy with that in exchange for being able to play on a screen small enough to hide the fact that their version looks comparatively hideous on a standard TV.

Which would translate to sticking with a smart phone for using Stadia, I guess.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of an interesting question to consider.

Google haven't really had to worry about launching a new product to glaring scrutiny against competitors at the top of their game very often. Probably the last time they had to really worry about that was with Android. Their other big products mostly got big by being massively, generational leaps over the existing competition (things like Google Search vs abysmal shite like Altavista or Yahoo!, Gmail vs mail providers with mailbox sizes in the single-digit number of megabytes, or Chrome vs the disaster that was IE).

There might be a corporate attitude withing Google that makes them underestimate how difficult it is to enter a new market.

PSNow requires a PlayStation
This isn't really true, there's a PC client. You can sign up to and play PlayStation Now without buying any kind of PlayStation console.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People would be a lot more forgiving if Google had come out the gate talking spicy. If you talk big you got to be big or people only going to remember you talked big