• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
They needed to do a beta of this before going out to the public. Dunno what they were thinking.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Enjoy Founders Edition Beta Testers.

fucking ooof

Imagine waiting for months to play this @ 60fps...only for it to be at 30fps and Xbox graphics settings.

Digital Foundry article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-stadia-tech-review

eT9XIGl.png
DOA numbers right there.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Well, thats rough.

I wonder how much better xCloud or Valves rumored service (if it does actually come to fruition) will fair.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Not since the Wii U has there been something so easily pegged as a failure from reveal to launch. Like, who didn't see this coming?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
These reviews are probably done by people with really good internet too. My internet wouldn't stand a chance.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
The Stadia servers may have raw power packed inside that exceeds consoles/PC but that doesn't automatically mean games will run better. From what I've read they are using a custom AMD GPU (which I'm sure doesn't just use Radeon drivers), running linux OS, and the Vulkan API. The launch titles are ports to the Stadia platform that surely had to be re-engineered.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think people expected to not be charged $130 + $60 a game + $10 a month for a work in progress.

True. Geforce now beta has been going for almost two years now at no charge.

This thing feels like an alpha. Kind of disappointing coming from a big company like google.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Originally had this pre-ordered and cancelled after they gave further details. Seems like that was probably a good choice, at least for this launch period.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hmm, I read every comment being negative then I read two actual reviews, Klepek and DF, and they were basically pretty dang positive. Just an example from DF:

And what you lose in precision detail and latency, you gain in convenience. Load up Red Dead Redemption 2 or Destiny 2 in parallel with their console counterparts and the reduction in loading times alone is tremendous. Meanwhile, just to get the comparisons in place for this article, I've had to leave my Xbox One X downloading overnight a couple of times to access titles that can have storage footprints in excess of 100GB. Put simply, instant access to anything and everything in your library has enormous value.

That's an advantage I hadn't even really thought about but is probably something you need to experience to understand.

Klepeck talks about when staying at his parents he would always think about tossing a PS4 in his bag but never actually did. With Stadia there's no need. That's also pretty compelling.

The subpar IQ though, not compelling.

Oct 31, 2017
Not since the Wii U has there been something so easily pegged as a failure from reveal to launch. Like, who didn't see this coming?
The folks who preordered and have been stanning hard for Stadia since it was revealed. Some folks here were really delusional about it and got into fighting words with anyone who expressed doubt about some of Google's claims and promises.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
What a baffling roll out, early access or not. I thought for sure with the lack of software, features, and availability that they'd at least be aggressive in showing off how Stadia offers a 'high-end PC/next-gen console experience" without the hardware investment. Otherwise what's the point?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I read every comment being negative then I read two actual reviews, Klepek and DF, and they were basically pretty dang positive. Just an example from DF:

"And what you lose in precision detail and latency, you gain in convenience."

I wouldn't say this is "dang positive" at all. Convenience means nothing if it doesn't work as advertised.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
To me, it seems that the "4K Stadia" was not ready for launch and they are shipping the 1080p instead, but making the early adopters pay for it, lol.

Pretty scummy to sell 4K HDR as one of the top features and see games like Destiny and RDR2 running at a lower resolution.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, I don't think that the streaming technology is materially better than what Gaikai and OnLive was peddling back in the day. It seems that your experience is heavily dependent on the quality of connection between you and Google's servers, which ultimately is something that's outside of Google's control (and honestly is outside of mostly off your control as well).

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It also strikes me as a little disingenuous to compare this to X1X, the pinnacle of console IQ. Most people will have a base Ps4 or Xbox where the IQ will be notably lower.

I wont say it IQ isn't a problem with Project Scarlett/PS5 coming though. I just think nothing necessarily has changed that IMO this could be pretty disruptive eventually. It's not the sort of thing that will happen overnight, but oneday a lot of people might notice they're mostly playing on Stadia without ever planning on it.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I do certainly think they need to reconsider their pricing model.
They do, but they might struggle to change it to anything else. Publishers could have signed up on the understanding that Stadia games would be a new channel for them to sell their games at standard prices, and might not be interested in Stadia suddenly pivoting to a subscription service. They also don't have the games library to create a competitive product yet, even if they do decide to make that pivot.

This is baffling, right? It's under performing big-time. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Isn't this about what we'd expect if the development priority was get the game working, and very little more?

(Plus it might be difficult for developers/publishers to budget the time needed to get a Stadia game running at 4K when they know it's just going to go through a compression routine that muddies it up anyway).

I feel like they do not have their blades setup properly and pooling resources as they expected.
I thought Stadia instances were meant to be dedicated (no pooling of anything other than bandwidth, except for the presumably-currently-nonexistent stacked instances)?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But how many games must the device render at the same time? And how much higher is the power consumption for Google if they render games at 4K instead of Full HD?

Each stadia instance is supposedly exclusive to you. Not sure how they'll handle the multiple gpu thing though, not even sure if that tech is even working right now.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT

www.resetera.com

Let's Kill This Absurd "Google Will Just Shut Stadia Down" Meme

You see a lot of drive-by posts of this kind in any Stadia related topic. (A quick example but there are many.) It's become a meme -- but one with little backing. It's intellectually lazy and it's uninteresting. Why is anyone using Chrome? Shouldn't you use Firefox since Google could shut it...

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
So Jade Raymond AND Amy Hennig are going to get fucked over again huh.
They fucked themselves over, they knew what kind of garbage service they were working for. And since in particular Jade Raymond is a great producer with a load of success stories under her belt, it was not like she couldn't get another good job instead.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Klepeck talks about when staying at his parents he would always think about tossing a PS4 in his bag but never actually did. With Stadia there's no need. That's also pretty compelling.

So we can assume his parents have high lightning-fast internet with no data cap then, I guess? Otherwise that PS4 still sounds like a better idea.

And sure, initial loading times and big-ass updates in games like RDR2 can suck, but I'd still prefer that to 60+ hours of technically sound gameplay instead of a having to worry about stream-related annoyances that could crop up any minute.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
This stuff reminds me of OnLive back in the day. Anyways this sounds like a complete trainwreck. Service should not have launched in this poor of state. Google is only hurting themselves and credibility by doing so.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, thats rough.

I wonder how much better xCloud or Valves rumored service (if it does actually come to fruition) will fair.

Latency-wise, I'm not sure how much better it currently *could* get. At least with xCloud, it seems you will have access to every game you already own, so you're not purchasing games all over again. That alone makes it much more appealing. Then add in game pass.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
The craziest thing about this all is that you knew that this would happen exactly on the day it was revealed earlier this year or last year.

Hardly. I'm pretty sure most people reasonably expected you would see year+ old titles like Odyssey or Shadow at $29 or maybe $39. Even the stauntest Stadia detractors wouldn't have proposed $120 editions of old ass games or upscaled 1080p. These aspects are so preposterously stupid and out of touch that I would actually buy into truther level conspiracy theories that key Stadia decision makers and executives are actively trying to sabotage it...perhaps Sony cut Phil a massive check to torpedo it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Convenience means nothing if it doesn't work as advertised.
Exactly. Mobile gaming is convenient. But also crap. And Google's PR has been about nextgen performance and more with no latency ontop of the convenience factor.

I've been super positive but at this point I'm not. I actually had my mouse pointer at the cancel preorder link... And I'm not alone. But I've decided to still try it out. It's just $140 and it's new tech. I won't buy any games unless I get free trials though.