• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
These headlines are aiming for the throat. This is worse than I was expecting the initial reactions. I don't trust Google to turn this around.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes...
I've been a big supporter for the streaming future and I have a Stadia preordered, but omg this does not bode well for the service at all.

This is worse than the Xbox One DRM fiasco, PR-wise.

I honestly can't see then climb out from this hole they've been digging for themselves. Making a "free" Netflix-styled library of games wouldn't even help them. Roughly 50ms of extra latency compared to games on Xbox One X? That's just not okay.

I just got a mail from Google where they said I should connect the Chromecast with an ethernet cable as well. Eh. What about playing on your phone, laptop? Cables everywhere.

Just let me trial the games before asking me to purchase, Google. I'm not paying $60 until I can see how lousy the quality and latency is at my house without cables.

The uphill battle Google was facing is Mount Everest at this point.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Everyone is missing the big picture:

How does the one Stadia exclusive, "Gylt" play?

On a more serious note: if Xcloud comes out with similar technical specs, but has the huge catalog of GamePass games, it will bury Stadia alive.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-stadia-tech-review

eT9XIGl.png

Negative latency baby. Future is here!

If I ever wanna level up fast in a FG I'll just play it in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber that is Stadia. Whiff punishing will be cake as I'll be able to see into future...lmao

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Glad I could still cancel my pre-order, I hare misleading advertising.

Remember myself to never pre-order.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cant say im surprised to read these reviews. My expectations were low as it is. Still part of me wanted them to deliver on the promise of all games running at 4k 60 if you have the badwidth for it

senj

Nov 6, 2017
And there we have it: Red Dead Redemption 2 is 1440p, 30fps.

Remember when Stadia was going to be the first Generation 9 gaming console?
Wait, so the "4k/60 fps" you're paying $10 a month for delivers...1440p/30fps in RDR2?

Jesus christ. So much for all of the fanboys claiming that Stadia would automatically throw whatever hardware was necessary at a game to deliver 4k60

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
It's not the people interested in AAA gaming, it's the people interested in mobile that now have access to AAA gaming.
The potential is there but that user-base has never really shown much of a interest in spending money on games and is dominated by free games that rely on adverts or micro-transactions. I wonder even if the service works across multiple mobile devices the full price model will get any traction with said demographic.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
On a more serious note: if Xcloud comes out with similar technical specs, but has the huge catalog of GamePass games, it will bury Stadia alive.
Stadia itself will bury xCloud. I can't believe what I'm reading regarding the latency. And Stadia is actually doing things quite cleverly by connecting the controller directly to the data center. And yet, +50ms latency on top of an already kinda lousy latency. Stadia might actually kill game streaming all together here. I'm shocked, and not jokingly, for real.
I'll be testing things for myself at my own home in a few days though, the planned delivery is 25-26 nov.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i can't even cancel my pre order anymore the option is gone on the order details page (it was there over the weekend). not shipped yet

haha

nbd I can return it no problem I'm sure but kinda funny every part of this is working poorly

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It turns out just buying a cheap console is still going to be the way most people will play games.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia itself will bury xCloud. I can't believe what I'm reading regarding the latency. And Stadia is actually doing things quite cleverly by connecting the controller directly to the data center. And yet, +50ms latency on top of an already kinda lousy latency. Stadia might actually kill game streaming all together here. I'm shocked, and not jokingly, for real.
I'll be testing things for myself at my own home in a few days though, the planned delivery is 25-26 nov.

The connection to the data center with the controller only works when playing on a Chromecast.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the people interested in AAA gaming, it's the people interested in mobile that now have access to AAA gaming.

But since it's only on pixel atm it's a non starter tbh.

the problem is they spent a lot of time saying that this was going to replace native hardware, trying to win over the core. And to have it come out like this is embarrassing given the amount of flexing they were doing before launch

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Google launched it too early (as they always do). Google really doesn't understand you cannot 'incrementally update' every product. You sometimes need it to be right day 1.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That's the weird thing for me. In my experience with PS Now the input lag was definitely huge, I couldn't even play FPS or fighthing games but on geforce now it works fantastic, it's a completely different experience.

I have fiber 100/100 mbps btw.

That's the nub of it with cloud services - there is no consistent universally shared quality of experience.

It's going to vary from user to user depending on their network locality to whichever service they're using. Which itself might vary over time.

It is interesting that DF's data is almost identical for PS Now and Stadia, but I expect some people will also have better or worse experiences with each depending on their different setups.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I dont think that direct connection stuff for the controller is enabled yet

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought about it for another hr and decided to cancel, don't like being lied to, I'll revisit it again next year

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Wow, these headlines are crazy. Microsoft and Sony are going the much better way with xCloud and PS Now. It's quite telling that the xCloud Preview has more games on offer than Stadia, and the Game Pass integration kills everything that Stadia Pro monthly subscription will have to offer any time soon. Stadia should never have launched in this state. I'll take a look at Base Stadia if it has some interesting exclusive content down the road, but that's it.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
So Stadia is next-gen hardware... that plays games at 1080p with medium settings.

I think people could tolerate a bit of lag and launch day issues if they actually delivered on the core idea of it being a next-gen system. This is literally nothing special.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how this was supposed to compete with anything?

It's basically the same price as a console but you have to pay a monthly fee. If your playing through your pc anyway, why not just use Steam for free?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The connection to the data center with the controller only works when playing on a Chromecast.

I believe DF was. And it sounds like they wired the chromecast over LAN.

Which actually suggests that latency due the network stack and 'the rest' may have been worse for them with Stadia than it was for PSNow...

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
the problem is they spent a lot of time saying that this was going to replace native hardware, trying to win over the core. And to have it come out like this is embarrassing given the amount of flexing they were doing before launch
Yeah they deserve the roasting here, no doubt. Many even thought RDR2 would be 4K60 on Stadia. I highly doubted this though but I could never imagine it would be 1440p30, that's far below even my lowest expectations. I don't understand how it's possible to underutilize the hardware this much. Is it getting choked somehow? And after all the talk about almost no latency. +50ms compared to the X's already relatively high latency. It's just not okay. This is not a good day for Stadia, or game streaming as a whole.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
How do you watch other people playing Stadia? OnLive used to have a neat feature where you could pick any random people from a multi-screen interface displayed as a load of boxes and watch their gameplay. Do I have to go searching round YouTube (or watch people playing via a re-encoded Twitch stream)?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I believe DF was. And it sounds like they wired the chromecast over LAN.

Which actually suggests that latency due the network stack and 'the rest' may have been worse for them with Stadia than it was for PSNow...

Yea. I can't imagine many people are going to be connecting their Chromecast to ethernet so that'll be a factor in regards to network stability. Peter Brown from Gamespot in their initial impressions video talked about how strange the Chromecast setup with ethernet was all together.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
and this is another example of why you don't buy things before they're actually released

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
No, but as per actual reviews, the games are performing worse than the XBX.

I wonder if we'll get any dev comments on library/driver quality. Wouldn't surprise me, it being Google's first go at this, that the performance is being stunted somewhat by an immature software stack.

That, and, I'm guessing many developers just fired out a port ASAP. I keep being reminded of what someone apparently overheard at E3 - that publishers are more interested in Stadia for the leverage it gives them in negotiations with Sony/MS for next-gen than they actually are in spending very much effort on it for its own sake.

Oct 30, 2017
I really just can't fathom spending full price on a game while keeping no data on my end with a company such as Google that has not demonstrated a commitment to their products for the long term.

Not to mention that the product may not really even work.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Honestly, while I have no interest in it for the time being, the fact that we have come this far is something.
Gotta at least commend google for what they were able to accomplish on a technological level even if it's still far from perfect.

I do certainly think they need to reconsider their pricing model.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
"Negative latency" was always marketing bullshit. Anyone disappointed at the responsiveness of these games really shouldn't be so gullible.

But my expectations for cloud gaming are at damn near rock-bottom, and even I expected Google to do better than middle-of-the-road PC graphics settings.