• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm wondering is why Google seemed to go with one not that powerful set instance image configuration rather than multiple. With GCP you'd think they could just tweak the instances to be much more powerful and run the games better.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could the low fidelity be because of their prediction based approach to lower input latency? its quite resource intensive afaik

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising and quite a shame. :/

I'm not interested in purchasing full games when taking into account the limitations of streaming, but I admire the technology and I wish Stadia could have been the "wow" moment Oculus was for VR.

At this point I'm only hoping for two things when it comes to streaming, because my expectations wouldn't be very high for:

• Services letting you demo a full game for 30 minutes like OnLive did, without having to download 50Gb or forcing devs to create a separate demo/trial version. In an ideal world I could pick any game on PSN/Xbox Live and just press "Try me".

• Remote play from owned hardware.

I guess we'll see how Google reacts to the reviews and if xCloud shakes things up in the near future to encourage stronger competition. They will clearly not give up easily, especially if they get exclusive games/3rd party support, but it's really too bad for early adopters if they don't get what was advertised.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So basically it works but not nearly as good as intended?
The reviewers all played it in a confined specific network too,(with only a handful accessing the servers) so we still don't know how it'll be person to person.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
That Verge article is kind of savage. It's super weird that Shadow of The tomb Raider apparently isn't as good on Staida as it is on PC.

You know, that's something I've seen nobody bring up. The possibility for bad Stadia ports that look worse than on other platforms. I suppose it makes very little sense to assume that could happen, but it very well can.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Even if there are some differences in latency testing between xCloud and Stadia, Microsoft serves to really benefit greatly from this Stadia launch IMO. This does at least bring greater attention to the possibility of streaming games based on many of the "it at least works" type comments in the reviews, but xCloud will be coming out next year more fully with what really matters in the content due to Game Pass and of course the ability for users to also play content natively on local console hardware or even PC hardware for Xbox first party games. This could really highlight even more the advantages to everything that Xbox is bringing to the table with their offering to consumers going forward.

If anything I think the Stadia launch is great for MS. I don't think they were planning on coming to the table with a half baked product but I think we can all be assured that they will make sure its completely ready.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They really should've just called it a beta period, since that's what it seems to be anyway.

Yup. Which is what nvidia is doing and they also don't ask your money for it.

I hope they solve the issues and such in the next few months. The more services the better, the more competition.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in no way a pro gamer and I couldn't even imagine playing a fighting game with that much added latency. Normal people CAN tell the difference. We had a get together at work the other day and someone forgot to set up the displays for game mode and people were complaining how sluggish the games felt before it was fixed.

People need to stop shilling for sub par products. It's infuriating. What's even sillier is that you have shills shilling for a company that they have nothing to gain from. That's even crazier.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That Verge article is kind of savage. It's super weird that Shadow of The tomb Raider apparently isn't as good on Staida as it is on PC.

You know, that's something I've seen nobody bring up. The possibility for bad Stadia ports that look worse than on other platforms. I suppose it makes very little sense to assume that could happen, but it very well can.
I just assumed they'd be PC equivalents.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Consoles are dead. Pack it in yall.

/s

This is what I expected at launch. Maybe google can make it into a stable thing for people who dont want consoles but wouldnt mind just playing some random ubisoft game that their friends with consoles have.

I dont have high hopes though.

Also extra input lag is a no from me.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising to anyone who was paying attention unfortunately.

There's a reason Playstation Now lets you install the games to your console.

I'm not sure what Microsoft is cooking up but Xbox Games Pass is probably their fallback in the event of failure.

Oct 28, 2017
You're right I'm not. I've played CS competitively for 13 years, I know when something doesn't feel right. Which doesn't happen on geforce now, so there's not reason why it should happen with stadia.

You obviously don't know how to judge input latency though - the facts and figures are here in this thread. 50ms is over 3 extra frames of latency at 60fps, that's pretty massive.

Any pro playing CS competitively (and who knows what they are talking about) would be positively disgusted by a 50ms increase.

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-stadia-tech-review

eT9XIGl.png

This is about a 20MS improvement over the PS Now tests that DF did 2 years ago. Not that impressed tbh.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly mouse and keyboard controls are nigh-unplayable for those used to that control setup (according to IGN)

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Yes, they knew that a long time ago. But they also know that they can upgrade their service as time goes by, something which you can't do with a console without having to spend another 400 or 500€.
Midgen refresh happens after a few years, and will amount something similar to 3 years of Stadia subscription

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This once again quantifies why Microsoft's approach with xCloud is the correct one. It's not a replacement for couch gaming on a big screen TV, nor should it be. It's a nice way to take your game on your big screen TV on the go with you.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You obviously don't know how to judge input latency though - the facts and figures are here in this thread. 50ms is over 3 extra frames of latency at 60fps, that's pretty massive.

Any pro playing CS competitively (and who knows what they are talking about) would be positively disgusted by a 50ms increase.

At the end of the day the experience is what it matters and the difference beetween playing this or a console is minimal.

You can bring all the numbers you want, most people won't notice a thing.

Midgen refresh happens after a few years, and will amount something similar to 3 years of Stadia subscription

You're not forced to pay the subscription.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Any review addressing the game prices? Din't find it in the only I read so far.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
At the end of the day the experience is what it matters and the difference beetween playing this or a console is minimal.

You can bring all the numbers you want, most people won't notice a thing.

You're not forced to pay the subscription.
But then you will definitely have crappier quality 🤷🏻‍♂️

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean the tech works for the most part, it's just bare bones. I think they need to add those differentiating features they showed and there could be a solid base. They are going to also want a bit more exclusive content a bit faster than they have currently laid out. Bare bones with little exclusive content isn't going to hold peoples attention span that long.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, Stadia presents all the short comings imposed by the law of physics (latency) and information (degraded image quality) to the surprise of none.

What surprises me is that it seems to have a lower performance profile than the XBX.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The crazy part is I would have to pay $130 just to see if I even would like it. I can't just use the free version because Google will always Google it up.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018

Hilarious that were comparing a native image from Xbox one to a guy taking a picture off screen using his mobile device

If I go against the hate narrative on resetera though I'll get boo'd

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
More from the Verge article:
With Destiny 2, it's even more obvious that the game isn't running at the highest settings. On a Chromecast Ultra, a "4K" stream looked closer to 1080p, and my colleague Tom Warren and I swore that the 1080p streams we were getting in the Chrome web browser looked more like 720p. [...] Bungie later confirmed that our eyes weren't deceiving us. "When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect," a Bungie rep said, adding that D2 runs at the PC equivalent of medium settings.

What the fuck? I have a high-end but slightly old gaming PC, with a GTX 1080, and I can nearly run Destiny 2 at 4K 60 FPS at the highest settings, I just need to turn the resolution scaling down to about 85%. How the hell is Stadia seemingly less powerful than my PC, in this instance?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The most damning thing about Stadia to me is the graphics quality. Why are the games running at crap settings when Stadia is so powerful? Is the hardware actually being throttled to hell or something?
You are not going to magically have games running in a multi gpu and cpu setup unless they have been built with that in mind.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
seeing that gamexplain got it to work at 35mbps, 10, even 5

and only became unplayable at 1, its pretty impressive

they also said it looked good, and ran great. As for input lag, experienced none even with MK11