• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone with a good business sense explain to me why Google launched the service this barebones?

Because that's Google's business plan with all their products, launch a clearly unfinished product, then be surprised that it isn't doing well then finally removing the product all together. Its the Google cycle.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
has anyone tested input lag with a non stadia controller yet? they use some special technique with that one to reduce input latency, but most serious players play fighting game on a fight pad or stick, and won't play on the stadia controller

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Can someone with a good business sense explain to me why Google launched the service this barebones?

If you had to force me to take a guess, i'd say that google drastically underestimated how competent the next gen platforms would be and is rushing to get something out of the door before Stadia becomes completely obsolete next year.

This thing can't even keep up with an Xbox One X. The PS5 and Scarlett are going to be light years past anything stadia can do.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Launch now, get ahead of Microsoft's XCloud which will likely be much much better than this service. Get the bad press over with now and try to rebuild the trust of people over time while others await XCloud because this is the time to try to get ahead of XCloud and make the changes people want, make the service better and hope people do join this community over time. Cause, odds are, when Microsoft's XCloud will kill this thing really fucking quickly once it's out. It would have even been worse if they launched at the same time of XCloud.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

Kirk from VG247 seems to be having a better time with it than most.

Yeah the no loading and fast downloads ARE something to praise, and it's something that I look forward to next gen consoles and PC hardware as well.

The overall package is just...Yeah.

While I can't see myself jumping to cloud gaming unless there's an amazing exclusive, I still think those who are interested should look towards xCloud.

But as always, DON'T BUY INTO THAT UNTIL WE GET THE FACTS

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Nice to finally see Digital Foundry put some hard numbers on all of this so we can stop hearing the fairy tale magic narrative about how this thing is basically going to be just like a regular console with no noticeable difference.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
What's freaking hilarious to me is that the magical part of Stadia and what I would consider the most difficult undertaking, which is to be able to stream videogames flawlessly , seems like it's great. But everything surrounding it is so half assed it's unbelievable. Why the hell would you release a product without caring about all it's components?

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
From DF:

UyBqJzI.png

It Significant quality loss when compared to the XBX.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
XCloud will be around the same latency as stadia. And to be honest 95% of people won't even notice the different between playing on a Xbox One X or XCloud/Stadia. Only pro gamers and such, people who are very sensitivity to that will immediately notice a slighly higher input lag.

45-50ms extra latency is a lot. The average person will definitely notice it.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I like some of the positives in the reviews, things can be improved if Google commits to it.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
from what i saw from IGN and Gamexplain

It works, rather well too

gamexplain says it didnt notice lag, and even at 10mbps it ran fine

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the angel of gaming death was at it again, after Sony, Atari and now Stadia... Who's next?

Isn't selling up resed / CB 4k as legit 4k illegal in the EU ?

Last edited:

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow at people thinking Google will "stick to it".

No it won't, it never has, and there's no reason to, considering the competition has an unwinnable advantage against them (xbox and ps exclusives on their own upcoming streaming servers).

It's going to be a super interesting legal precedent to see how refunds for purchased games will be handled (if at all), in a year or two.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this work on the technology only for the publishing arm not to follow through.

Unfortunate. Hopefully they are able to pull it together.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
RDR2 on stadia doesnt sound too bad to be honest, so the tech seems impressive. Now, the problem I have with Stadia (Besides availability) is that it does not offer any benefits over buying the game on any other piece of hardware. I dont think for a minute the Stadia team, thought their main target were casual non console/pc gamers, that doesnt make any sense.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
from what i saw from IGN and Gamexplain

It works, rather well too

gamexplain says it didnt notice lag, and even at 10mbps it ran fine

I mean, it looks like it runs fine as long as you have a decent connection but the overall quality isn't anywhere near what Google had been claiming.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Technology isn't there yet, and this is in the US, I could only imagine how it would look in my household and other countries in Europe/rest of the world.
Good on reviewers for keeping it real.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I fell off ledges in Tomb Raider because of lag. I flat-out lost Mortal Kombat fights I would have won otherwise. I died to Destiny enemies I would roast with ease on any other platform. I managed to slog through the entirety of the Mortal Kombat 11 campaign (which I genuinely wanted to play, as I hadn't yet) and probably at least one a match I ran into lag issues. Even if it's just for a moment, it can cost you an entire fight in a game like that.
From Paul Tassis Review https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...a-technical-conceptual-disaster/#4363f7355ec7

yeah this is unusable for any serious fighting game player. but i mean we all knew that already

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you had to force me to take a guess, i'd say that google drastically underestimated how competent the next gen platforms would be and is rushing to get something out of the door before Stadia becomes completely obsolete next year.

This thing can't even keep up with an Xbox One X. The PS5 and Scarlett are going to be light years past anything stadia can do.

Yes, they knew that a long time ago. But they also know that they can upgrade their service as time goes by, something which you can't do with a console without having to spend another 400 or 500€.

45-50ms extra latency is a lot. The average person will definitely notice it.

Nah, this service has probably as much latency as geforce now. I've been using that for almost two months now, I played several genres on it, it just feels like playing on a PS4 or Xbox.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
They should never have marketed Stadia on fidelity and framerate promises that were clearly not possible yet. The main draw for anything cloud is convenience and ease of use. This is a product that seems valuable to people who travel a bunch and want a gaming experience that comes close to what they get at home. For everyone else this ain't it.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
The visual stutter and slowdown can be brutal, and isn't limited to any one device or game. In Destiny 2 on the Chromecast Ultra, scrimmages with lots of enemies and explosions saw occasional slowdown, as did opening moments in new areas and cutscenes. Mortal Kombat 11 on the Pixel 3a eventually became unplayable due to odd connection issues. In one match, my character froze in a crouching position. The controller stopped responding, so I unplugged it from the Pixel 3a, then reconnected the cable. For whatever reason, this caused the entire game to reboot, costing me all of my progress.

Mind you, I was testing the system with an exceedingly favorable setup. I played on the Pixel 3a and my laptop a couple of feet from a year-old Google Wi-Fi router. According to Google's speed tests in Chrome, I had download speeds of 120 Mbps and higher. Stadia's own connection test predicted I would have a "high-performance gaming experience on Stadia."

I never experienced anything that could accurately be described in that way.

Rest in peace, Stadia.

Destiny 2 looks so much better on the Xbox One X. There's a comparision in the Verge article:

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, it looks like it runs fine as long as you have a decent connection but the overall quality isn't anywhere near what Google had been claiming.
im just saying it isnt the bad news everyone makes it out to be

i mean only 20 games or so at launch, having to pay $9.99 for 4k, and some of the things around it are indeed questionable

but on the question of if it works, it sounds like it does, and pretty well

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Even if there are some differences in latency testing between xCloud and Stadia, Microsoft serves to really benefit greatly from this Stadia launch IMO. This does at least bring greater attention to the possibility of streaming games based on many of the "it at least works" type comments in the reviews, but xCloud will be coming out next year more fully with what really matters in the content due to Game Pass and of course the ability for users to also play content natively on local console hardware or even PC hardware for Xbox first party games. This could really highlight even more the advantages to everything that Xbox is bringing to the table with their offering to consumers going forward.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
The most damning thing about Stadia to me is the graphics quality. Why are the games running at crap settings when Stadia is so powerful? Is the hardware actually being throttled to hell or something?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess you are not the average person. Take that as you will.

You're right I'm not. I've played CS competitively for 13 years, I know when something doesn't feel right. Which doesn't happen on geforce now, so there's not reason why it should happen with stadia.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
Those side by side Destiny 2 comparisons are damning. I honestly can't believe they launched with what is arguably their "Flagship" game for Pro running at such low fidelity.

Super glad I canceled my pre-order.

Nov 8, 2017
Half baked, too early, and riddled with problems? Sounds like another glorified side project by Google. I don't have any confidence they'll support this long term either, so good luck to anyone who actually wants to purchased games on this.