• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
From the verge review:

Well then. Guess high and ultra isn't guaranteed and 1080p scaled to 4k? Why is Google charging 10 dollars a month??? Garbage.

Wait, they're running it at Medium settings?

I thought the entire point of this thing, and the one thing the true believers were riding on, was that it was going to give them the best possible experience without having to buy hardware.

And it's on Medium?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-stadia-tech-review

eT9XIGl.png

Nov 23, 2017
From the verge review:

Well then. Guess high and ultra isn't guaranteed and 1080p scaled to 4k? Why is Google charging 10 dollars a month??? Garbage.
But everyone told me I was a Stadia hater and didn't understand Google's servers are 10x better than Xbox X's and are going to be upgraded all the time? What's the point of having the FLOPS if your game runs on medium

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Hm, this quote sounds promising :

Beat case, you're adding 50ms ish on top of all the usual lag.

For a certain type game and gamer that's fine but you wouldn't want to be into anything twitchy.

Can see these streaming solutions being great companions to regular gaming but we're years and years away from this becoming a truly viable alternative (for people who take their reflex sensitive games seriously)

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital Foundry review seemed about what I expected as someone who pre-ordered. If you read past the headline there are plenty of positives.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this coming a mile away. Nice to hear that the technology works though

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Did you notice that I wrote "4K" and "1080p" in scare quotes earlier? For days, I've been trying and failing to get Google to admit that its servers aren't actually rendering intensive games at what I would consider 4K. For instance, here's a picture I carefully took with my iPhone 11 Pro when playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider at the highest settings Stadia seems to deliver today....
What you're looking at here isn't bad streaming; the stream is 4K. Not only that, but it's also some of the best streaming image quality I've seen, without loads of the nasty compression artifacts that make other cloud gaming services look like there's an ugly haze between you and much of the game. But where's the detail in Lara Croft's character model? And where are the high-resolution textures? Google told me that Stadia is designed to run games at the highest resolution with all of the settings turned up, but clearly, that isn't happening here.

With Destiny 2, it's even more obvious that the game isn't running at the highest settings. On a Chromecast Ultra, a "4K" stream looked closer to 1080p, and my colleague Tom Warren and I swore that the 1080p streams we were getting in the Chrome web browser looked more like 720p.

A lot of us saw this exact thing coming from miles away. This is a disaster.

I fucking knew it.

I still think cloud gaming has a place in the future, but Google's indifference and outright hiding the truth should have been a wake up call for Stadia defenders. I bet there's going to be a loooot of comparison pictures coming out soon that even they won't be able to defend. (Though you'll probably see a lot of "Well their Internet is probably bad" and "Well it doesn't look like that on MY screen!")

Don't

Trust

Corporations

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the perceptions of the tech itself are pretty positive, but that the launch is bungled.

That gives me hope that either Stadia as a service is in a much better position next year with the full launch, or that PS or XBox may be in a better position to fulfil my streaming needs. I'm optimistic either way.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Did you actually read?They say it's the best streaming service they've used in therms of image quality, compressions, etc. Problem is that the games are just not running at max settings on the server side, which makes no sense because the machine they're using is almost double in power of the Xbox One X.

Basically the service isn't ready to launch. Good job google.

um, yes I did read it which is why I quoted it.

The stream itself is fine and there are no artifacts, but google is claiming that things are rendering at 4K and 1080p when they clearly are not. The "4K" looks more like 1080p *even when streaming conditions are perfect* and the "1080p" looks more like 720. Like you say the hardware SHOULD be able to render these things easily, but is unable to.

Those destiny 2 screenshots are damning.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
slowly adding reviews

Gotcha. It seems like you'd only listed the ones where sites seemed to want to dunk on Stadia as if that would win them some internet points. It does seem like Stadia launched prematurely, but it is still showing promise and when it launches fully next year I hope some of these sites will do a re-review.

OP
OP

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. It seems like you'd only listed the ones where sites seemed to want to dunk on Stadia as if that would win them some internet points. It does seem like Stadia launched prematurely, but it is still showing promise and when it launches fully next year I hope some of these sites will do a re-review.
The main issue seems like there's no real incentive to get Stadia: hardcore games want exclusives and there's only one, and casual gamers are not gonna pay so much money for these games when they have plenty of free games.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
1080p medium for Destiny 2? That is honestly terrible. I can only assume that is due to quick and dirty porting to Vulkan.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's uncanny because the numbers are basically exactly the same as what they measured for Playstation Now years ago.

Maybe that's just the limit, but Stadia had the opportunity - with specific game optimisation and hardware power - to eat into latency with higher framerates and lower local input latency, rather than just higher res. But it seems for now they've not leaned in on that.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The fact that all these games have a separate player base sounds like an absolute death knell for games like Destiny or anything with a multiplayer focus.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's bait for a very specific user who came into every Stadia thread saying about the same thing; about how they were going to be the playing Cyberpunk in 4k/60 unlike everyone on the evil dirty EXPENSIVE consoles with their crap 1080/30. They were obviously incorrect in how they thought something like that would be running, unless Google changes something it will likely be running on Med settings and then getting some form of upscaling.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. The Eurogamer review is not only impressive and basically proving that an Xbox One X makes your games look better than Stadia's "pro gamer PC resolution"

eT9XIGl.png

On RDR2:
the obvious takeaway from Stadia is that despite a 4K output from Chromecast Ultra, the game itself is rendering at a lower resolution.

As a technological statement, Stadia impresses with the best image quality and latency I've seen from a streaming platform, but there's definitely scope for improvement from a stability perspective, and I'm not sure the question of what happens when someone else taps into your bandwidth has been adequately resolved: audio stutter and wobbly resolution were common on my fibre connection and even a 200mbps hook-up had very occasional slowdown. Games can't buffer to iron out these issues in the way that movies and TV can. There's the sense that many of the challenges in streaming games have been improved massively since the OnLive days, but bandwidth is still very much a precious commodity for most users and Stadia at its best requires 20GB of the stuff for an hour of play at its highest quality level.

www.eurogamer.net

Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready

Can Stadia tech out-muscle Xbox One X? How good is the streaming quality and what about the lag?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I expected a terrible launch and somehow Stadia managed to slip below even that low bar.

New York Times said:
Google Stadia Wants You to Replace Your Video Game Console. Don't

Damn, NYT, have you no chill?

Destiny 2 is upscaled 1080p with medium settings?

As anyone who's tried it knows, Destiny 2 has fantastic, highly scalable performance on PC. Bungie knocked it out of the park with that port. If Stadia's servers are running D2 with those medium settings they've got to be running low-end GPUs, there's no way around it.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone with a good business sense explain to me why Google launched the service this barebones?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I liked this part from the Polygon review.

As a free service, Stadia could be revolutionary. My takeaway from this experience is that the magic of Stadia isn't actually Stadia as a snazzy, new console or platform. The magic of Stadia is that, in theory, a person doesn't really need to know that Stadia, as an idea, even exists.

In 2020, folks will be able to buy a new video game for $60 without purchasing a console or worrying about their computer's specs. They won't even need to know what "computer specs" are. They'll just need a link to the Stadia store.

I can imagine a future in which Stadia is the perfect opportunity to entice my grown-up friends to try video games again. Or a cheaper solution for folks who only want to play one game, but can't afford the additional costs of the hobby. Or an avenue for hardcore players to play Destiny 2 during lunch breaks or on vacation. But right now, that's all I can do: Imagine it.

Stadia could be something really interesting... but will it? And perhaps more importantly, will it do it before Microsoft does it first?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think the idea of being able to stream games is cool. I've been messing around with stuff like remotplay for like the last decade. My problem with Stadia is it just doesn't seem like a good deal. Needing to pay full price for games you can't download locally just doesn't sit right with me. Being able to play locally not reliant on an internet connection and then being able to continue the progress on the go with my phone seems like the ideal position Stadia should be in.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why they went a la carte instead of all you can eat.
You are getting a terrible deal compared to xCloud+gamepass.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RIP Stadia, long live xCloud

XCloud will be around the same latency as stadia. And to be honest 95% of people won't even notice the different between playing on a Xbox One X or XCloud/Stadia. Only pro gamers and such, people who are very sensitivity to that will immediately notice a slighly higher input lag.

um, yes I did read it which is why I quoted it.

The stream itself is fine and there are no artifacts, but google is claiming that things are rendering at 4K and 1080p when they clearly are not. The "4K" looks more like 1080p *even when streaming conditions are perfect* and the "1080p" looks more like 720.

Ok. I'd say the most difficult part they got it right, the rest is just a server side problem. I have no idea why, maybe it's because stadia instances run linux and vulkan and devs are having trouble with that. Maybe some dev could share more with us.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kirk from VG247 seems to be having a better time with it than most.

Update to the 60fps claim.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main issue seems like there's no real incentive to get Stadia: hardcore games want exclusives and there's only one, and casual gamers are not gonna pay so much money for these games when they have plenty of free games.

I hear you. For me Stadia solves a problem I have personally in that I'm seldom near my PS4 or Xbox when I want to play games. I travel a ton and having the ability to play games where I want is highly desirable. It's the same reason I was so gung-ho on the switch, but unfortunately that doesn't really have the games that I want to play. I completely get that this isn't for everyone, but will admit that it drives me crazy to see all the negativity about Stadia on this forum.

If you don't like the product, cool, there's thousands of other threads for you on ERA. If you're scared of an all streaming future, great, let's talk about it. Simply shitting on Stadia with flyby "DOA" or "bomba" nonsense has started to grate my nerves as it seems you can't have an actual discussion about the platform on ERA anymore. There are plenty of people like me who are excited about Stadia and the promise it shows, but you'd never know it due to all the Stadia shitposting for people who think it's cool to dunk on something simply because they personally don't like the idea of it.