• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Today, Stadia is a $130 one-time purchase, plus $10 a month (after a three-month trial), plus $20 to $60 per premium game;

Mother fucker what?

I must have been drunk when I read the pricing a while ago, I thought you paid 130 and bought games separately but you also have to pay 10 a month too? What the god damn fuck?

I got clarification! Thanks Era!

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
LMFAO that Destiny 2 screenshot comparison, that texture quality and shadow quality is arguably even worse than the console versions.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mother fucker what?

I must have been drunk when I read the pricing a while ago, I thought you paid 130 and bought games separately but you also have to pay 10 a month too? What the god damn fuck?

You don't, the service is free but only streams at 1080p.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
They never really stood a chance against Microsoft, given Microsoft's ability to leverage its existing infrastructure within the industry, but if they did stand a chance - they needed to come out of the gate proper. Releasing first doesn't mean a damn thing.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You don't, the service is free but only streams at 1080p.

"1080p."

Did you notice that I wrote "4K" and "1080p" in scare quotes earlier? For days, I've been trying and failing to get Google to admit that its servers aren't actually rendering intensive games at what I would consider 4K. For instance, here's a picture I carefully took with my iPhone 11 Pro when playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider at the highest settings Stadia seems to deliver today....
What you're looking at here isn't bad streaming; the stream is 4K. Not only that, but it's also some of the best streaming image quality I've seen, without loads of the nasty compression artifacts that make other cloud gaming services look like there's an ugly haze between you and much of the game. But where's the detail in Lara Croft's character model? And where are the high-resolution textures? Google told me that Stadia is designed to run games at the highest resolution with all of the settings turned up, but clearly, that isn't happening here.

With Destiny 2, it's even more obvious that the game isn't running at the highest settings. On a Chromecast Ultra, a "4K" stream looked closer to 1080p, and my colleague Tom Warren and I swore that the 1080p streams we were getting in the Chrome web browser looked more like 720p.

A lot of us saw this exact thing coming from miles away. This is a disaster.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, this is embarrassing for Google, feel bad for the Stadia team. :(

Seriously feels like a kickstarter product launch. :/

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Tech is not even close to be ready. People also forget that lack of datacenters, mediocre wireless connection could have a massive impact on performance as well.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
From the verge review:

Initially, Google told us that it was using the highest-resolution, highest-fidelity build of Destiny 2 available. But Bungie later confirmed that our eyes weren't deceiving us. "When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect," a Bungie rep said, adding that D2 runs at the PC equivalent of medium settings. That explains why the Xbox One X build, which runs at a native 4K and with higher-res assets, looks so much better than Stadia.

Well then. Guess high and ultra isn't guaranteed and 1080p scaled to 4k? Why is Google charging 10 dollars a month??? Garbage.

Last edited:

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Still baffling to me that Google doesn't have a Game Pass equivalent. They're missing half of the equation here. They have the sreaming, but they don't actually have the games/appealing business model.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I love the bullet points on these reviews that are like "well, it works!"

Except that it straight-up doesn't for lots of people. I live in a major US metropolitan area and my internet does not support Stadia according to Google's testing tool.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, streaming games its always going to have its limitations. No madder who does it.

I'm not really sure why anyone expected a different outcome.

Nov 30, 2018
For how much money and presence Google has, they sure don't know how to do things right like their fruit neighbors

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
With Destiny 2, it's even more obvious that the game isn't running at the highest settings. On a Chromecast Ultra, a "4K" stream looked closer to 1080p, and my colleague Tom Warren and I swore that the 1080p streams we were getting in the Chrome web browser looked more like 720p.
Initially, Google told us that it was using the highest-resolution, highest-fidelity build of Destiny 2 available. But Bungie later confirmed that our eyes weren't deceiving us. "When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect," a Bungie rep said, adding that D2 runs at the PC equivalent of medium settings. That explains why the Xbox One X build, which runs at a native 4K and with higher-res assets, looks so much better than Stadia
Ooooof!
I was told that Stadia would provide NEXT-GEN level visual, not 1080p upscaled to 4K, medium PC setting that are worse than Xbox X.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like what we expected for now, a lack of exclusives and missteps with the pricing on games affects it.

We'll see if it can dodge the Google axe.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Somebody please get BlueManifest some milk please!
I laughed hard at this, that user was so aggressive in defending this stuff it was hard not to think of them as a planted shill.

Not surprising at all, the tech is there just needs more optimization to take advantage of it. This was rushed and poorly marketed from the beginning.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say any of that surprises me. All the basic 'but what about X' questions appear to have been answered and be about as bad as we all figured they would be and we haven't even got to the point where the ISPs are supposed to be allowing us to have limitless amounts of data just because.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how the free service settles, but at the moment? Nah fam.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I wish Doom was out for this, I thought it looked very ugly on Stadia at gamescom. Anyone else here play it?

Have to say though the reviews are a bit more positive than I expected tbh

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
TIL you have to buy the games at full price in addition to the monthly membership. I sincerely have no idea who their target audience is. Feels like Bill Gates and Bezos sat in a room and were like, lol check this pricing structure we about to have.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"1080p."

A lot of us saw this exact thing coming from miles away. This is a disaster.

Did you actually read?They say it's the best streaming service they've used in therms of image quality, compressions, etc. Problem is that the games are just not running at max settings on the server side, which makes no sense because the machine they're using is almost double in power of the Xbox One X.

Basically the service isn't ready to launch. Good job google.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
TIL you have to buy the games at full price in addition to the monthly membership. I sincerely have no idea who their target audience is. Feels like Bill Gates and Bezos sat in a room and were like, lol check this pricing structure we about to have.
You don't have to buy a monthly membership. That's only if you want "4K"