• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
This whole Twitter thread is crazy.

- The achievements system won't have a UI at launch, but it will still capture achievement so you can see them when a UI is available.
- Only the Founder's Edition Chromecast Ultra will support Stadia on launch day. Existing Chromecasts won't
- Family Sharing is not available at launch. Recommended to just buy a second version of a $60 game on your account for a kid or other family member to play with, and then eventually be able to share it
- Stadia on iOS will arrive eventually
- Apparently, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia, implying that there's no web UI currently
- Stadia Buddy Pass will not be available to Founders at launch

I guess there's more to come? I haven't seen a thread on it here, but a few of the GameDailyBiz and GamesIndustry.biz folks have seen this tweet, so I assume a more comprehensive article will be coming shortly!

Last edited:

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Google Stadia will kick Founders Edition buyers in the nuts and they will have to say "thank you" on launch day before booting the system.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This would be an embarrassing launch for a first-time company launching a product off Kickstarter. As a product from Google, it's nothing short of humiliating.

Has Google already pulled back resources from this thing? Some of this stuff seems inconceivable that it'd fail to make launch.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to like Stadia, but everything aside from the core premise/tech has just been downright terrible.

This clearly wasn't ready to launch, and I don't know why it seems so rushed. We're still at least a couple years away from a heavy hitting service (is xcloud already that far along?); did Google just want to be first?

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It always amazes me how a billion dollar corporation with access to just about any resource they'd need can fuck up something this hard.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Why would they not push this back to the Spring? The bad press is going to bury what small chance they had to make this successful.

It really sounds like they instead want customers to beta test this for them.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I have nothing against them really. But this is a mess and i just learned it launches next week also.
Sounds like its a beta still but they dont act like its a beta or say it anywhere.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
- Apparently, you need your phone to buy games for Stadia, implying that there's no web UI currently

giphy.gif

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Well... I'm glad I didn't order the founder's edition now. This whole thing has been a mess and should've been pushed to next year. How do you make billions of dollars and still fail on basic stuff for your new service.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this launching (even as a Founders Edition) this month? It very clearly needs to wait.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So, no achievements UI, no store UI on non-phone devices, no family sharing... why the shit are they even launching now? Seems like half the features aren't even ready...

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Just call this Early Access and say it officially launches in March 2020 or something. This is clearly lacking features they've thought of and started to implement, but need more time to finish and polish.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
All platform launches are half-baked to some extent with features missing and stuff, but this just seems so far beyond anything else... sounds like almost all basic functionality is missing. There's literally no reason to release this right now. Like you can't even claim it's to meet the holiday rush because the thing's sold out anyway so it wouldn't matter.

I guess the reason is to push it out before Sony and Microsoft announce next gen early next year?

Also, the bit with the Google employee offering to hand deliver Stadia to someone is hilariously desperate...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The Family Sharing reason sounds super sketchy. Just buy another copy of the game and later it will probably work? What a great way to fleece people early on and then make a song and dance about Sharing working.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to EZA's "Stadia - Achieve it Yourself!" series.

k4mon

Oct 28, 2017
Wrocław / Poland

I recently Googled "'Stadia" cause I wanted to find some kind of page where I could find some summary, information or whatever for something that I was writing and... there is none?
I mean there is the https://stadia.dev/ page but that's something for developers that are interested in creating content on Stadia.
https://stadia.com/ just redirects to the Google Store... I guess there's a page for Stadia there but that's it? Really?
It's kinda amazing that there is no dedicated page for the end users that would want to use their product.

This just keeps getting a bigger mess over and over again.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
OP missed the part where they are offering to hand-deliver one Stadia kit in the Bay Area to make up for the shipping confusion, lol.

Yeah, Google is rushing this thing out the door.

Last edited: