• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I buy a game on stadia I see it as I bought 3 copies for 3 different devices for 1 price, let's say I buy cyberpunk 2077 for example, Well i just got it for my tablet, my pc, and my tv for 1 price

I can't find better value than this anywhere

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If I buy a game on stadia I see it as I bought 3 copies for 3 different devices for 1 price, let's say I buy cyberpunk 2077 for example, Well i just got it for my tablet, my pc, and my tv for 1 price

Yeah, if the 4k chromecast livingroom experience is equivalent to a high end PC, I don't see the argument against it. You can take the exact same game with you at no extra cost, which is incredible.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
For a playstation, if you still have the account on your PS4 (which you can copy via a system transfer), you can download games even without PSN being up.

It's how people (including myself) were able to redownload PT even though it was pulled from PSN.

You already own a device that has chrome and you play the base version of stadia, there you just got 11 Tflops for no cost
Play what on the base version of Stadia.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
We already knew it wasn't a game subscription service.

Also lol at no achievements at launch, even though their own Google Play Games service supports them. So much for integrating those existing profiles I guess.
No, we didn't all know this. All this time I was under the impression that Stadia WAS Netflix for games and that's the reason it was attractive to me. If I ever had friends over who wanted to play a certain game that I don't have on Ps4 or Ps5 but they wanted to play it, I thought if I had Stadia then I could just stream it and we could play it right away.

TAoVG

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
USA
How could I redownload my games if psn is gone
Your drive that has the games on them would still work. Or your disk based copies you purchased. Or your backed up copies. Your argument is the equivalent of "If my house burned down with all of my games in them how would I play them?". There is always some risk to anything one would own.

You already own a device that has chrome and you play the base version of stadia, there you just got 11 Tflops for no cost

This is some excellent logical gymnastics right here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your drive that has the games on them would still work. Or your disk based copies you purchased. Or your backed up copies. Your argument is the equivalent of "If my house burned down with all of my games in them how would I play them?". There is always some risk to anything one would own.
I was saying if it died completely like the hard drive died and psn was down

TAoVG

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was saying if it died completely like the hard drive died
Again, if you backed them up, no problem. The point is, you still have the ability to retrieve and play what you purchased. If you don't back up your digital copies, that's on you. With Stadia, you have absolutely no choice in the matter. If they shut the service off, you get nothing.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Again, if you backed them up, no problem. The point is, you still have the ability to retrieve and play what you purchased. If you don't back up your digital copies, that's on you. With Stadia, you have absolutely no choice in the matter. If they shut the service off, you get nothing.
Either way it's possible to lose your game's no matter what you do or what service it is, you could say some are easier to lose than others but it's still possible to lose them

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It makes absolutely no sense for them to charge $9.99 a month for the Pro tier if they are going to use the same amount of horsepower in the cloud for the free tier.

Do not expect an 11TF experience out of the free tier.
You still get the same specs they are just holding back the resolution

TAoVG

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Either way it's possible to lose your game's no matter what you do or what service it is, you could say some are easier to lose than others but it's still possible to lose them

Sure, it's possible to lose anything.

I concur with another member above, this is getting exhausting. In all seriousness, if you are happy or excited about cloud gaming, great! There are many folks in the industry that have serious questions and hesitations about this; from both a technical perspective and a business one. I'm sure some games will work great on Stadia, many won't. There ARE other options for playing games across devices that don't suffer the issues that cloud will/does, but that's for a different thread.

When you do get to try it out, let us all know what you think. Cheers!

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't say games were free I said the 11 Tflops was little to no cost

It comes with big cost, you actually for the first time in video game industry own nothing when you buy the game. When we went digital you at least owned files on your disk even though you actually just purchased license. With Stadia everything is controlled by publisher/developer. And for PC gamers that is huge cost.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You still get the same specs they are just holding back the resolution

10.7 TF is the power of each Stadia instance. They have not promised an entire instance per 1080p Stream, you are just assuming things and repeating them as fact. The tech behind Stadia supports virtualization meaning they can give a game less or more power depending on the game and the resolution it's being played at.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018

This is my main reason for getting Stadia. Convenience of my library going wherever I do.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
No, we didn't all know this. All this time I was under the impression that Stadia WAS Netflix for games and that's the reason it was attractive to me. If I ever had friends over who wanted to play a certain game that I don't have on Ps4 or Ps5 but they wanted to play it, I thought if I had Stadia then I could just stream it and we could play it right away.
Then that's on you, it's been clear since its announcement in June.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
10.7 TF is the power of each Stadia instance. They have not promised an entire instance per 1080p Stream, you are just assuming things and repeating them as fact. The tech behind Stadia supports virtualization meaning they can give a game less or more power depending on the game and the resolution it's being played at.
They didn't say anything about the base version getting less power in the presentation so that's what I'm going by

if it does they should have mentioned it because it would have been another selling point for the pro sub

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It comes with big cost, you actually for the first time in video game industry own nothing when you buy the game. When we went digital you at least owned files on your disk even though you actually just purchased license. With Stadia everything is controlled by publisher/developer. And for PC gamers that is huge cost.
I'm talking about money cost

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where would you access it? Mobile network? Public wifi? Hotel wifi? University networks? On a train? On a plane? Serious question, interested to hear!
home WiFi, and wherever there's good enough public/hotel WiFi

I have a switch for places that have absolutely no internet and Nintendo exclusives of course

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
5G is like a year away and gets over 200Mb/s on the low end. On the high end it's over a gigabit.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
If the whole concern about the ownership is about not having the files on the computer then I'm certainly screwed. I have 4 games installed right now on my PC, the rest are just purchased licenses tied to my Steam account, which you say is nothing. So with your thinking I essentially just own 4 games, which has cost me nearly $2,000. Great. :s

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
The one and only marketing message should be: Next-gen gaming, no console required.

Just get the game and you're good to go.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The one and only marketing message should be: Next-gen gaming, no console required.

Just get the game and you're good to go.

stadia01.png

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, looks like people are becoming more aware of how great a deal it is when it comes to money cost

It's not hard or complicated to see how good of a deal this is for next gen

If you have the right internet

They should also mention you only have to buy 1 game for all your devices too instead of multiple copies
That's the Stadia reddit, people aren't as negative there.

It is an interesting comparison though, especially the 4K one since they haven't even factored in that many buys the OG consoles first and then the Pro/X, effectively doubling the costs. Some even bought the S/Slim in between. :P

But from a mainstream gamer perspective it should be quite on point. They only compare 1080p single player though, 1080p multiplayer is the same on Stadia, still $50 for 5 years, while it's way more expensive on consoles.

I think it'll be clear as time goes by what positives cloud gaming brings. For example, no noisy fans and hardware lottery, no load times, no download times, no installs, no patches, no system updates, no hardware upgrades, etc. You just buy the games and play. Done.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's the Stadia reddit, people aren't as negative there.

It is an interesting comparison though, especially the 4K one since they haven't even factored in that many buys the OG consoles first and then the Pro/X, effectively doubling the costs. Some even bought the S/Slim in between. :P

But from a mainstream gamer perspective it should be quite on point. They only compare 1080p single player though, 1080p multiplayer is the same on Stadia, still $50 for 5 years, while it's way more expensive on consoles.

I think it'll be clear as time goes by what positives cloud gaming brings. For example, no noisy fans and hardware lottery, no load times, no download times, no installs, no patches, no system updates, no hardware upgrades, etc. You just buy the games and play. Done.
Yes there's so many positives, then people talk about like 1 negative on how you own the games and ignore all those positives because of that 1 negative

TAoVG

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If the whole concern about the ownership is about not having the files on the computer then I'm certainly screwed. I have 4 games installed right now on my PC, the rest are just purchased licenses tied to my Steam account, which you say is nothing. So with your thinking I essentially just own 4 games, which has cost me nearly $2,000. Great. :s

What? Just download them and back them up.
Yes there's so many positives, then people talk about like 1 negative on how you own the games and ignore all those positives because of that 1 negative

Serious question. Have you ever tried a cloud gaming service before? At home?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question. Have you ever tried a cloud gaming service before? At home?
Yea i have GeForce now, played tomb raider from beginning to end, plus many other games. Just started playing it without downloading or anything, was the most impressed I've been this gen really

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If game prices on Stadia are cheaper than on PS (they often are half the price on Steam) I might just get some indie games on the platform. When WD3 launches I might sub for a month of Uplay+ and play it in 1080p for free on Stadia. There are plenty of cases where Stadia is a great option. You dont need to commit to it as your only platform... You can always get a game or a sub here and then while still owning a PS or Xbox. The negativity over the platform here on Era is incredible.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If game prices on Stadia are cheaper than on PS (they often are half the price on Steam) I might just get some indie games on the platform. When WD3 launches I might sub for a month of Uplay+ and play it in 1080p for free on Stadia. There are plenty of cases where Stadia is a great option. You dont need to commit to it as your only platform... You can always get a game or a sub here and then while still owning a PS or Xbox. The negativity over the platform here on Era is incredible.
This too the free base version could be a great side platform

For myself though I completely replacing my pc with stadia/GeForceNow

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
home WiFi, and wherever there's good enough public/hotel WiFi

I have a switch for places that have absolutely no internet and Nintendo exclusives of course
I don't think you'll be getting hotel wifi good enough to stream at any meaningful resolution. I maintain my stance that the down/up speed is going to handicap the "game anywhere, anytime" part of Stadia.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you'll be getting hotel wifi good enough to stream at any meaningful resolution. I maintain my stance that the down/up speed is going to handicap the "game anywhere, anytime" part of Stadia.
Some places I've been to have good enough internet and some don't, depends where I go, I'm going to always have a phone or tablet with me anyway so if it works, great and if doesn't no big deal

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
If Comcast decides to remove their data cap (lol), then I might give this a try. One thing I wish I could do is import my existing Steam library.

Still, I doubt this would replace my gaming PC, even if the Stadia instances might end up being more powerful than what I have. After always trying my best to play games at my panel's native resolution, I feel like the drop in IQ from streaming would just look too distracting to me.