• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
This was clear since the E3 "Stadia Connect" video. And it was pretty explicit in subsequent interviews.
I took it as they would be adding games monthly that would build to a catalogue that you could have access too if you did pro. Not just a monthly game that rotates in and out

So reading this I was informed about what the service actually Is

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Its amazing how this forum fail to see who the target audience is and also conveniently forgets that there will be a free plan for fullhd@60 gameplay...

Omg they want me to pay 60 for a game, but I can by the same game and play locally on my Switch, PS4 Pro, XoX and on my PC! LOL DOA! Noone needs this!
This seems like a disingenuous summary of skepticism about the long-term success of a product whose target audience is people who are extremely price sensitive about hardware, but which depends on these same price-sensitive people for some reason lining up to still pay full price for games, and also not running the numbers on long term rentals vs ownership (if there are indeed a lot of price sensitive consumers who are nevertheless looking for a 4k experience)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This AMA is basically "hey guys, you know how you're not sure about this value proposition?, well we also don't have a lot of the features at launch". It just looks real bad. Once all the features are in next year and you can maybe demo or play a F2P game on this to test it, it could turn out to be ok if I'm honest but that's a lot of if's. Should've just released next year IMO.

Think about this though, if you have uplay+ you can just play those games anywhere at a pretty good quality for no extra cost? That seems cool on the surface. I assume saves from PS4 or whatever wouldn't transfer though.
I just hate when "Not at launch" is the answer to many questions. If you have to use that, maybe you should rethink your time frame

Oct 25, 2017
Those services aren't mandatory and offer a lot more than just online play. They can also be found for cheap and/or bundled with other things.

You can also resell physical hardware.
PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold are "more mandatory" than Stadia Pro. Not having Plus or Gold means not having access to all features of your games. Not having Stadia Pro just means 1080p resolution, which most people have been playing with on PS4 and XBO already.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I took it as they would be adding games monthly that would build to a catalogue that you could have access too if you did pro. Not just a monthly game that rotates in and out

It's the PS+ model. It's not "a monthly game that rotates in and out". If you subscribe in November, you'll have Destiny 2 to play for as long as you're subscribed. In December there will be another game or two. And so on.

It's not netflix, and it's not one monthly game. It's PS+.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I just hate when "Not at launch" is the answer to many questions. If you have to use that, maybe you should rethink your time frame

I think that's fair enough, but this is the first time anyone at Google is even officially talking about things like friends lists and achievements. "Founders" edition people are going to be guinea pigs to some extent. I don't think Stadia is officially "launched" until the Base tier is available.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's fair enough, but this is the first time anyone at Google is even officially talking about things like friends lists and achievements. "Founders" edition people are going to be guinea pigs to some extent. I don't think Stadia is officially "launched" until the Base tier is available.
which is next year. People can do what they want with their money, but to pay 120 bucks to work the kinks? Could not be me

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure that's exactly what it is.
Like XBL Gold/PSN+ you get to "keep" your free game if you "claim it" that month indefinitely?

VRyJTZj.png

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So people are going spend money to get a 4K resolution but the games will still be 1080p the same as people that are paying nothing?

I don't think so

I definitely think Pro subscribers will get a significant bump in performance. But given that even a 1080 Ti can't guarantee 4k60, I just wouldn't assume that's expectation for Stadia.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Like XBL Gold/PSN+ you get to "keep" your free game if you "claim it" that month indefinitely?

That's the model for games on Pro, yes.

It would be nice if they didn't have that BS concept of "claiming" a game. It's a useless gotcha when you're already paying for it. It should just be automatically added to your library.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered the founders edition when it went live - partly for hype and partly because i don't normally do random/impetuous things...

...but this thread has been a timely reminder to cancel my pre-order. The barrier to entry is very low, and ill definitely mess about with it when it's "free", but my internet is ba and i already have too many games to play.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
True since you have to buy the games. Imk there should be a separate sub for 20$ that would have a selection of 50+ games to play that would include almost new AAA titles also, not just old or indie games.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Server stacking will ensure you keep 4K 60 fps

I definitely hope so. But I don't assume "server stacking" is just some plug-and-play thing that doesn't need special software support. If Stadia is actually intending to guarantee 4k/60 performance in all games, imo there should be a lot less complaining around here. That's fucking incredible actually, and we're not going to get it on next-gen consoles.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely hope so. But I don't assume "server stacking" is just some plug-and-play thing that doesn't need special software support. If Stadia is actually intending to guarantee 4k/60 performance in all games, imo there should be a lot less complaining around here. That's fucking incredible actually, and we're not going to get it on next-gen consoles.
That's how they presented the stadia pro sub during stadia connect, it's one of the positives of cloud gaming

4K really isn't important to me though, I'll be happy with the free 1080p service

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold are "more mandatory" than Stadia Pro. Not having Plus or Gold means not having access to all features of your games. Not having Stadia Pro just means 1080p resolution, which most people have been playing with on PS4 and XBO already.

If you primarily play single player games or any of the mega popular F2P multiplayer games it isn't. Time will tell if the deals and monthly games offer a comparable value.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That's how they presented the stadia pro sub during stadia connect, it's one of the positives of cloud gaming

I never assumed they actually meant it. Similar to how I bought a PS4 Pro to unlock "4k gaming" fully knowing the system can't actually deliver on that across they board.

But you're definitely right that they set the expectation. If they really deliver it, Stadia Pro is a better deal than I thought.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I'm pretty sure all games ported to stadia will support 4K since they have to be ported to it
My point is that we don't know which games will come to the platform.

Take the Ubisoft+ subscription that you can add on to your Stadia subscription: many of those games will not support 4k/60fps because they preceded those benchmarks.

Consider some nameless indie game that comes to Stadia. Chances are it won't support 4k/60fps either. In that case it is less about the capabilities of Stadia & more about the build of the game.

As it stands right now we don't have a clear picture of what Stadia will offer to consumers. What we do know doesn't seem to have a clearly defined market. I'd venture to say that we don't have a clear understanding of the service because Google doesn't have a clear vision.

Edit: formatting & grammar

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never assumed they actually meant it. Similar to how I bought a PS4 Pro to unlock "4k gaming" fully knowing the system can't actually deliver on that across they board.

But you're definitely right that they set the expectation. If they really deliver it, Stadia Pro is a better deal than I thought.
Yea if they were lying then I'll be disappointed that they did, I'm planning to just use the free 1080p service though

Oct 25, 2017
If you primarily play single player games or any of the mega popular F2P multiplayer games it isn't. Time will tell if the deals and monthly games offer a comparable value.
Even single player games can offer some really interesting online features that will be unavailable to you if you do not have Plus or Gold. Most notably Dark Souls and Watch Dogs. You will get the full experience on Stadia without a Pro sub, but your game will be gimped on PS4 and Xbox One without Plus/Gold.

Watch Dogs series will actually be on Stadia and will be better there than PS4/XBO without the mandatory subscription.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck first adopters. Will be interesting to see how this thing turns out. I don't think it will be another ouya but I don't think it will set the world on fire either

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think GamePass has a real chance to be 'Netflix for games', while the market is open.

I'm really interested to see what Sony do with PSnow next gen. I expect big changes.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, if it were "Netflix for games", then by definition, it wouldn't have the latest and greatest stuff on it. It would have a landslide of stuff you don't care about, and a few things you do. And almost none of it would be permanent.

And that's exactly what it would take to make a "Netflix for games" financially feasible: cheap content.

So yeah, good for them for being honest, that this is just a console you keep paying for, forever, if you want to use the games you buy. But it is a perpetually upgrading console, and does have some interesting features.

Am I interested? FUCK NO.

But I can't call it DOA. If Google wants it to succeed, they can run it at a loss for years, like Microsoft did with Xbox. And I'm no judge of what people will tolerate.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): Inflammatory drive-by posting.
Imagine being so dumb that you pay 60 bucks to not own a game

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What we do know doesn't seem to have a clearly defined market.

If you just consider Stadia as a console, and set your expectations to that standard, imo that is a clearly defined market.

There's so much trepidation around latency, poor video quality, and "game ownership", which is not totally unfounded. But if any of those things are bad, there's nothing good about the platform, it's just trash. If we assume those things are fine, then we're talking about a 4th first party, and evaluate it by those standards. There's clearly a market for that. And all the convenience of streaming (instant play, play anywhere, no hardware costs, URL to multiplayer) factor in as features of the platform.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They said free service people get 1080p

People that pay the sub get 4K

That's what they said

That's the stream quality. Just like the PS4 Pro lets you stream remote play at 1080p. What Google is guaranteeing is you'll have access to a 4k / 60 FPS video stream of your game. Stadia Base will give you access to a 1080p stream... the game may very well still be 4k but you will only stream it at 1080p.

There is no guarantee that every Stadia game is going to be 4K / 60 FPS. And we don't know how this "server stacking" works well enough to say devs can just toggle a switch to make that magically happen.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Man, people are happily paying $60 / year for PSN and XBL, but Google does it and all of a sudden they're DOA. Such hyperbole.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
If you just consider Stadia as a console, and set your expectations that the actual experience of it is what you expect from a console, imo that is a clearly defined market.

There's so much trepidation around latency, poor video quality, and "game ownership", which is not totally unfounded. But if any of those things are bad, there's nothing good about the platform, it's just trash. If we assume those things are fine, then we're talking about a 4th first party, and evaluate it by those standards. There's clearly a market for that. And all the convenience of streaming (instant play, play anywhere) factor in as features of the platform.
That is a fair point.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
To be fair, if it were "Netflix for games", then by definition, it wouldn't have the latest and greatest stuff on it. It would have a landslide of stuff you don't care about, and a few things you do. And almost none of it would be permanent.

And that's exactly what it would take to make a "Netflix for games" financially feasible: cheap content.

So yeah, good for them for being honest, that this is just a console you keep paying for, forever, if you want to use the games you buy. But it is a perpetually upgrading console, and does have some interesting features.

But I can't call it DOA. If Google wants it to succeed, they can run it at a loss for years, like Microsoft did with Xbox. And I'm no judge of what people will tolerate.
But would they then pick up cancelled games too?
And start making original content? :D

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Even single player games can offer some really interesting online features that will be unavailable to you if you do not have Plus or Gold. Most notably Dark Souls and Watch Dogs. You will get the full experience on Stadia without a Pro sub, but your game will be gimped on PS4 and Xbox One without Plus/Gold.

Watch Dogs series will actually be on Stadia and will be better there than PS4/XBO without the mandatory subscription.

Ok? And someone who needs online on an intermittent basis can easily find cheap monthly subs or trials as needed. My point still stands that it isn't a mandatory charge. It's not like it's required for the most basic online functionality like downloading patches, making friends, or sending messages.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Honestly, you make a really good point and I agree with you . Maybe I am just old or whatever but I hate having to pay a never ending payment for something I never actually own. I would much rather shell out 400 every 6 years and just be done with it. The only way I would consider giving this a try and not just sticking with my PS or Xbox would be if it was a Netflix of games and I paid a cheapish subscription (under 20 a month) and got a mix of older titles I had missed on launch, indies and a few big bangers every now and again

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Man, people are happily paying $60 / year for PSN and XBL, but Google does it and all of a sudden they're DOA. Such hyperbole.
I'm not happily paying for PSN and consider dropping it every year. That also isn't the crux of most arguments against Stadia here.

The larger concerns center on digital rights, data caps & latency, vague promises, & a lack of trust in Google supporting the platform for the long term.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's the stream quality. Just like the PS4 Pro lets you stream remote play at 1080p. What Google is guaranteeing is you'll have access to a 4k / 60 FPS video stream of your game. Stadia Base will give you access to a 1080p stream... the game may very well still be 4k but you will only stream it at 1080p.

There is no guarantee that every Stadia game is going to be 4K / 60 FPS. And we don't know how this "server stacking" works well enough to say devs can just toggle a switch to make that magically happen.
Ok so let's say I get cyberpunk 2077 on stadia and I pay the sub so that I can play it in 4K, but it's actually playing in 1080p instead of 4K

So I paid 10$ to play it in the same resolution as the free service? That wouldn't look good on them

That would push people away from their pro sub and get more people on the free sub

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
They are making original content. Stadia is a first party. It's being run by Jade Raymond who created the Assassin's Creed franchise, and led Ubisoft's franchise development.
Do we know if any of the games showcased are exclusives? I thought that one horror game was an exclusive but then heard it will come to other platforms.

Ok so let's say I get cyberpunk 2077 on stadia and I pay the sub so that I can play it in 4K, but it's actually playing in 1080p instead of 4K

So I paid 10$ to play it in the same resolution as the free service? That wouldn't look good on them

That would push people away from their pro sub and get more people on the free sub

I think we need to understand it as "streaming up to 4k/60fps" rather than a guaranteed 4k/60fps. There are so many variables at play here that someone very well could be paying for the pro sub but only manage to stream at 1080p.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
i'll need to see it in action before i decide.
like will it hold the resolution and fps? how much will it fluctuate? how much will the quality of my internet affect it

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Xbox GamePass seems a lot better than this. Wouldn't that be something you would be striving to compare to rather than a paid online membership like Xbox Live Gold or PS+? Those just give you games every month because hey, we want you to pay to play games online.

Destiny is a game that costs next to nothing to purchase on a disc, and, it's going to a free to play model by the time this service releases. So yay, I guess?

We're not showing the UI til launch, you get one free game a month (and it's going free to play!), you get access across "screens" (does that mean we're getting "multiplayer" with one sub or not?), and we don't have all the features we announced at the reveal.

I'm not entirely sure why they are launching when they are. "Because they have to start somewhere" I guess.

It's not like they have a big first party game releasing. Obviously they want to be there in the busy season with the big third party releases coming, but yeah. Probably better to make a good impression at launch rather than because that's the agreement you made with third party partners.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
But would they then pick up cancelled games too?
And start making original content? :D

They should do as much exclusive content as they can, if they want their platform to be viable. And just like Microsoft and Sony, that content should be "free" for their customers. By which I mean, the ones paying monthly (ie. not free). But you know what I mean. :)

I hope they fuck it up, though. I want this to fail, and fast.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Do we know if any of the games showcased are exclusives? I thought that one horror game was an exclusive but then heard it will come to other platforms.

It's only been announced for Stadia. Since then Tequilaworks made some ambiguous statements which maybe suggest it's one of those weird E3 exclusive announcement situations. For now, i'd guess it's a timed Stadia exclusive, but that's just a guess.

https://www.pcgamer.com/tequila-works-gylt-might-not-be-a-google-stadia-exclusive-after-all/